Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCm9RUV03dc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

He's said poo poo like this weekly for ages.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Laranzu posted:

Really just put that qualifier in there because in no other circumstance have they ever said anything even mildly in favor of additional restrictions on any firearm.

In this case Republicans control all branches of government so it's not like they needed to change their standing.

The only thing I can figure is that they want the Republican legislators to have an easy way out. A way out they might need for some reason

Closing the machine gun registry in 86 was their idea, whether it was 3d chess or a pump & dump money grab is up to you

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

facialimpediment posted:

Um.

What the gently caress is this about? (probably nothing)

https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/916084993968840705

Hope everyone in PACOM has their CBTs done.

CommieGIR posted:

He's said poo poo like this weekly for ages.

Yeah but this time he brought it up out of nowhere. He's like a 4 year old who just heard a secret and is doing the loving pee-pee dance trying not to tell.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

Closing the machine gun registry in 86 was their idea

They were also the ones that lobbied against digital gun registration and records, forcing the ATF and FBI to only use paper records, making any sort of research painstakingly difficult.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

Yeah but this time he brought it up out of nowhere. He's like a 4 year old who just heard a secret and is doing the loving pee-pee dance trying not to tell.

So you're saying the piss tape is real?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
There are no coincidences.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Laranzu posted:

Really just put that qualifier in there because in no other circumstance have they ever said anything even mildly in favor of additional restrictions on any firearm.

In this case Republicans control all branches of government so it's not like they needed to change their standing.

The only thing I can figure is that they want the Republican legislators to have an easy way out. A way out they might need for some reason

Not true. They were very much against open carry once the Black Panthers started doing it.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

Um.

What the gently caress is this about? (probably nothing)

https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/916084993968840705

Dear Mr. President,

Please wait to unleash thermonuclear war until after the 3-day weekend. Thanks.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

BadOptics posted:

Dear Mr. President,

Please wait to unleash thermonuclear war until after the 3-day weekend. Thanks.

Columbus isn't cool anymore. You gotta go to work on Monday now

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

Columbus isn't cool anymore. You gotta go to work on Monday now

Got duty on Monday. Feel free to launch Monday morning or something.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/ToriNicksWho/status/915998362498928640

Edit: poo poo article is almost 3 years old

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Its from 2014.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shame on an IGA posted:

Closing the machine gun registry in 86 was their idea, whether it was 3d chess or a pump & dump money grab is up to you

Actually that was added in as an Amendment (Hughes something hence the name). There was nothing otherwise in the bill that was not pro gun (fixing a lot of areas from the GCA of 68 that went to far and/or were infective). It was meant to be a poison pill.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i love it when they tell you how many sources they have

quote:

John Kelly, the White House chief of staff, abruptly scrapped plans to travel with President Donald Trump on Wednesday so he could try to manage the fallout from new revelations about tensions between the president and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, according to six senior administration officials.

Kelly summoned Tillerson, and their ally Defense Secretary James Mattis, to the White House, where the three of them huddled to discuss a path forward, according to three administration officials. The White House downplayed Kelly's decision to stay in Washington, saying he did so to manage day-to-day operations.

Vice President Mike Pence, meanwhile, was fuming in Phoenix, where he was traveling, seven officials told NBC News. He and Tillerson spoke on the phone before the secretary’s public appearance on Wednesday morning.

Pence was incensed upon learning from the NBC report that Tillerson’s top spokesman had said he once privately questioned the value of Nikki Haley, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations. Officials said the spokesman, R.C. Hammond, fabricated an anecdote that Pence had asked Tillerson in a meeting whether Haley, who is seen as a possible successor if Tillerson, is helpful or harmful to the administration.
NBC reported Wednesday that Tillerson had threatened to resign in July after a series of clashes with the president, at one point venting his frustrations among his colleagues by calling the president a "moron," according to multiple senior administration officials who were aware of the matter at the time.
Four senior administration officials said Trump first learned on Wednesday that Tillerson had disparaged him after a July 20 national security meeting at the Pentagon. Trump vented to Kelly Wednesday morning, leading Kelly to scrap plans to travel with the president to Las Vegas to meet with victims and first responders in Sunday’s mass shooting

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 6, 2017

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i love it when they tell you how many sources they have

I bet one of those sources was a certain Donald J. Trump.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

psydude posted:

Not true. They were very much against open carry once the Black Panthers started doing it.

you know its more complex than that. if anything, you could say that they were limited gun control advocates from the 30s until the mid 70s.

shame on an IGA posted:

where is the money grab? who was getting this money?

vains fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 6, 2017

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Laranzu posted:

NRA supported the '94 assault weapons ban.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

McNally posted:

NRA supported the '94 assault weapons ban.

quote:

Rep. Jack Brooks (D-TX), then chair of the House Judiciary Committee, tried unsuccessfully to remove the assault weapons ban section from the crime bill.[9] The National Rifle Association (NRA) opposed the ban. In November 1993, NRA spokesman Bill McIntyre said that assault weapons "are used in only 1 percent of all crimes".[10] The low usage statistic was supported in a 1999 Department of Justice brief.[6]

The NRA also opposed its renewal and when Feinstein attempted to renew the same exact bill without the 10 year limit.

The only thing the NRA approved in the 1994 Ban was the loopholes they helped install.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 6, 2017

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

vains posted:

you know its more complex than that. if anything, you could say that they were limited gun control advocates from the 30s until the mid 70s.

where is the money grab? who was getting this money?

Everyone who already had a machine gun that was suddenly worth five figures because they aint making any more

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

CommieGIR posted:

The NRA also opposed its renewal and when Feinstein attempted to renew the same exact bill without the 10 year limit.

gently caress, what am I thinking of then?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

McNally posted:

gently caress, what am I thinking of then?

Prior to 1970, the NRA supported a lot of firearms regulations. Heavy ones too.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

prior to 1977 it was a very, very different organization, then it was suddenly taken over by John Birchers who packed the board of directors with 70+ members so no taksies backsies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.6687c8ed7d04

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

That's 21 years in Trump Time, when the stupidest famous person in the country was an insurance salesman cosplaying as a failing downward authority figure wannabe.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

joat mon posted:

an insurance salesman cosplaying as a failing downward authority figure wannabe.

RIP Tom Clancy :911:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
tom clancy's apartment in baltimore was horrible looking too, it was up for sale this year or last

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CommieGIR posted:

Prior to 1970, the NRA supported a lot of firearms regulations. Heavy ones too.

I'm betting this was back when the NRA was an advocacy organization and not just a flat-out representative of gun manufacturers.

vains
May 26, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

Everyone who already had a machine gun that was suddenly worth five figures because they aint making any more

what lobbying organization did they found and organize to get their reps to support a bill to close the registry? or, was it congressmen/senators who were secretly buying up machine guns to resell? the dots aren't connecting my man.

vains
May 26, 2004

Vasudus posted:

tom clancy's apartment in baltimore was horrible looking too, it was up for sale this year or last

still up for sale. all white e'erthing

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

vains posted:

still up for sale. all white e'erthing

man why do rich people love to live in sterile poo poo like this

it looks like there is not an ounce of joy to be had in that apartment

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Laranzu posted:

It's that that current legal status of bump stocks and other auto-mimic devices is completely indefensible. If you think fully automatic weapons should be regulated, then any device that lets you fire equally fast should be equally regulated. There is zero chance of the status quo surviving, so the NRA trying to defend it would just cost them political capital for no gain.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

That's probably just the staging? Realtors like to put that sorta design into open houses to allow potential buyers to project their own image without just having an empty box

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Immanentized posted:

That's probably just the staging? Realtors like to put that sorta design into open houses to allow potential buyers to project their own image without just having an empty box

thats the most likely thing

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

john kelly is a loving idiot of nightmare proportions

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It's a product of the deep mental scarring inflicted by his post 9/11 realization that he had been writing prophecy instead of airport fiction

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

It's that that current legal status of bump stocks and other auto-mimic devices is completely indefensible. If you think fully automatic weapons should be regulated, then any device that lets you fire equally fast should be equally regulated. There is zero chance of the status quo surviving, so the NRA trying to defend it would just cost them political capital for no gain.

Hard to find numbers with the recent media attention, what's the rate of fire on bump stocks compared to full auto weapons?

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

The place is like a museum. It's very beautiful and very cold, and you're not allowed to touch anything.

... A man with priorities so far out of whack doesn't deserve such a fine automobile.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Immanentized posted:

Yeah you're probably right. I hope in his life it was filled with empty pizza boxes and corkboard with yarn strung all over.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Hard to find numbers with the recent media attention, what's the rate of fire on bump stocks compared to full auto weapons?

some gun nut on youtube with a cyclic rate counter was getting high 600s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

john kelly is a loving idiot of nightmare proportions

The personal apologia that comes out after this administration falls is going to put Speer to shame.

• Locked thread