Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So, bump-stocks and other poo poo that facilitates high rates of fire while not technically being "automatic", Im assuming?

Essentially yes. You can also do this bouncing your finger around the trigger while holding the gun at your side. It's extremely dumb looking and makes it look like you're trying to finger bang the gun.

Truthfully when I tried a Slidefire at Shot Show in 2014, the one thing I felt was that it was a pain to control and not terribly comfortable. Though I may have been only able to use the right handed model.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

How is an AR15 "safer for the neighbors" than a shotgun full of bird shot?

Someone comes in my door, I want them picking pellets out of their asses.

Bird shot doesn't penetrate far enough to be effectively lethal. Just ask Dick Cheney's buddy.

5.56 is safer for neighbors because it overpenetrates a lot less than buck shot, pistol rounds and bigger rifle rounds. It's a small mass going very fast, so it dumps its energy quickly into drywall, etc. That's one of the big reasons that police entry teams have largely switched over to ARs rather than sub guns and shotguns.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Rat posted:

Bird shot doesn't penetrate far enough to be effectively lethal. Just ask Dick Cheney's buddy.

5.56 is safer for neighbors because it overpenetrates a lot less than buck shot, pistol rounds and bigger rifle rounds. It's a small mass going very fast, so it dumps its energy quickly into drywall, etc. That's one of the big reasons that police entry teams have largely switched over to ARs rather than sub guns and shotguns.

Not just Dick Cheney, but The Box o' Truth did a test on it. People think birdshot will be great because of the sheer mass of pellets, but they don't understand that it doesn't act like a solid slug unless you're making a contact shot. The tiny pellets individually have very little energy, and even firing a hundred doesn't make them magically shred bone.

If you're actually trying to use a gun seriously for self-defense, you can't rely on hoping that they'll stop fighting once they're wounded. You aim for center mass or the head and shut down their body enough that they collapse involuntarily.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

A goon once posted in TFR about the time he got shot in the face by a Taurus Judge loaded with birdshot during a carjacking and it basically just gave him carpet burn.

Also if you shoot somebody with a firearm without the intent to use lethal force, you didn't have a legal justification for shooting that person in the first place.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm thinking in the range of #3-4 shot, not something like #7 or anything finer.

It's maybe 15 feet from where I'd grab it to the door. My apartment is small and sucks, but for relative size, I'd have thought larger steel shot would be fine at that range.

Don't have a shotgun anyhow, but I have a box of .38s for the .357, because loud. And short range.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

I'm thinking in the range of #3-4 shot, not something like #7 or anything finer.

It's maybe 15 feet from where I'd grab it to the door. My apartment is small and sucks, but for relative size, I'd have thought larger steel shot would be fine at that range.

Don't have a shotgun anyhow, but I have a box of .38s for the .357, because loud. And short range.

birdshot isn't a home defense round. its for killing small birds or breaking clays.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, shooting pigs with buckshot is very effective.

I mixed up I think it was number 4 because it worked good for birds.

The only thing that pig would've died of after that was maybe a skin infection or lead poisoning or old age.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Internet Wizard posted:

A goon once posted in TFR about the time he got shot in the face by a Taurus Judge loaded with birdshot during a carjacking and it basically just gave him carpet burn.

How much time did he receive?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Okay, so I went to a few places and was able to check out the ear muffs.

End result was I got the Howard Leight Impact Pros. The Sordin's are super nice, they are way nicer than the Howard Leights. However, the Howard Leights block noticeably more noise, and blocking raw noise is the reason I was looking to begin with.

Also of note is that these particular Howard Leights is that if you were using a rifle you'd probably have a hard time getting check weld and not knocking your ear muffs off your ear. They are pretty chunky.

And not insignificant is the fact the Sordin's are nearly 4 times as much. But they are super nice and if you were using a rifle or carbine they'd be a better option.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I had a pair of Howard's but they actually seemed to be reversed and would increase all noise. Almost blew hearing out and dropped my 357 when I used them the first time. Tested at home by clapped 2x4s and yeah they were very defective.

Test your ear pro before you go shoot.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
They seem to work good for that, just testing it in my apartment without firing off rounds.

Funny you should mention that, I've got a pair of the slim line howard leights and if I crank up the volume it's like some kind of spy microphone and I can hear conversations across the way to the next apartment building, but my wife's pair is not like that.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

I seem to recall reading that there were a spate of counterfeit Howard Leight muffs sold through Amazon in the last year. If you've got a pair from them and they seem funky, you might have some recourse.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Bought em at Big5 and just got a refund.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah mine worked just like my wife's set otherwise, so I just kept them. The mics cut off when the sound level was too high so I think it was a wrong/defective/not fitted properly mic and I'm happy with them.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

not caring here posted:

They seem to work good for that, just testing it in my apartment without firing off rounds.

Funny you should mention that, I've got a pair of the slim line howard leights and if I crank up the volume it's like some kind of spy microphone and I can hear conversations across the way to the next apartment building, but my wife's pair is not like that.

When I lived in the country one of my favorite things to do was to get high as balls and go sit on my porch with the Howard-Leights cranked up. It was like being One with nature.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I have never once regretted a single penny that I spent on my MSA Sordin Pros and I'm an e-3

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Terrible Robot posted:

When I lived in the country one of my favorite things to do was to get high as balls and go sit on my porch with the Howard-Leights cranked up. It was like being One with nature.

Yeah mine cuts out during loud noises as advertised but with the volume at maximum you get super hearing when there's nothing loud enough to make it shut off.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I want the new Steyr Aug A3 M1 is there any reason aside from the price that one would not want to buy it, specifically that I can buy two decent AR's for the same price?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

MurderBot posted:

I want the new Steyr Aug A3 M1 is there any reason aside from the price that one would not want to buy it, specifically that I can buy two decent AR's for the same price?

Cosplay as the blond terrorist from Die Hard.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Karl used an original AUG with no rails or removable carry handle bullshit.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

MurderBot posted:

go for it ar-15 are boring

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

If you do, at a minimum get the 2020 Precision sear. It makes the trigger travel shorter and the break much crisper.

Another good one is a NATO stock so that you can use AR mags rather than the proprietary AUG mags. Not mandatory if it's your only rifle, but if you have a lot of ARs, it helps simplify logistics.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

BigDave posted:

Cosplay as the blond terrorist from Die Hard.

Can i have it modded to look like the halo MA5C individual combat weapon? Asking for a friend....

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

MurderBot posted:

Can i have it modded to look like the halo MA5C individual combat weapon? Asking for a friend....

What you should be modding it to look like is the Morita Mk I

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Kind of, though you can't get the CQC forend on the A3M1, just the A3.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

all my friends at the gun club are gonna be jealous at my room clearing capabilities.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/fi3rhLj.gifv

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

The Rat posted:

Who makes that rail system?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/

Dude is basically the only guy who specializes in AUG stuff in the US. And his site is straight out of 1995.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

The Rat posted:

Looks like a prop from a 1995 movie about space cops in the year 2099.

Which isn't a bad thing.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

BigDave posted:

Looks like a prop from a 1995 movie about space cops in the year 2099.

Which isn't a bad thing.

Space conctractors. Note the Weyland-Yutani logo.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Smiling Jack posted:

Space conctractors. Note the Weyland-Yutani logo.

Coming Summer '96: "Alien: Infinity".

Starring Kurt Russell and Keith David.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BigDave posted:

Coming Summer '96: "Alien: Infinity".

Starring Kurt Russell and Keith David.

Fuuucccckkkkkk I want that to exist.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Fuuucccckkkkkk I want that to exist.

Ed Harris plays the Weyland Yutani security chief who gets killed halfway through.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BigDave posted:

Ed Harris plays the Weyland Yutani executive who gets killed halfway through.

I feel like it should be Michael Ironside or Kurtwood Smith.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I feel like it should be Michael Ironside or Kurtwood Smith.

KIRKWOOD SMITH: You listen to me! This is *my* operation, I'm in charge and I say we go after the ship!

KEITH DAVID: Motherfucker you're not in charge of a single Goddamn thing up here! We can't even get decent coffee because of your penny-pinching narrow rear end!

BigDave fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 12, 2017

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BigDave posted:

KIRKWOOD SMITH: You listen to me! This is *my* operation, I'm in charge and I say we go after the ship!

KEITH DAVID: Motherfucker you're not in charge of a single Goddamn thing up here! We can't even get decent coffee because of your penny-pinching narrow rear end!

I am so sad this movie doesn't actually exist.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

BigDave posted:

Dear God this is incredible

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

The Rat posted:

http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/

Dude is basically the only guy who specializes in AUG stuff in the US. And his site is straight out of 1995.

"This page was last updated: June 5, 2017"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I meant more the overall site design and stuff.

I did today's 3-gun match in a gas mask for all stages. 13th/44 overall, 2nd/13 in limited class. :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQZ3NZr-w60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvjHblaHblY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UMp3Ctx8fQ