Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007

Puddin posted:

Bugatti posted a video like a week ago showing the Chiron doing 0-400-0 in a shade under 42 seconds.

Koenigsegg bested it by almost 4 seconds.

Also spinning the tires in the first 3 gears.
I swear if ever I had the means, it would be a tough decision between Koenigsegg and Pagani. (Not that I will ever worry about it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Koenigsegg would be my number one. Everything he does is extracting crazy hp by whatever means using cutting edge tech while still making the things bullet proof.

That and he just seems like he would be chill to have a beer with and just listen to all the crazy stuff he's tried but didn't make it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Twistershift posted:

Also spinning the tires in the first 3 gears.
I swear if ever I had the means, it would be a tough decision between Koenigsegg and Pagani. (Not that I will ever worry about it.)

Pagani interiors are the most disgusting things I've ever seen. I genuinely couldn't drive one as I'd feel like such a twat, they're the most chintzy looking poo poo ever.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Oct 6, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Powershift posted:

I tried looking to see if Fred Durst had a twitter to make a joke in another thread.

It's verified as Fred Durst.
https://twitter.com/freddurst?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

It links to this website.
http://freddurst.club/

and all it does, each and every day is post link's to it's instagram, which is this, Also verified as Fred Durst
https://www.instagram.com/freddurst/

This.........

This changed my life.....

Holy poo poo no loving way that owns so loving HARD

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Pagani interiors are the most disgusting things I've ever seen. I genuinely couldn't drive one as I'd feel like such a twat, they're the most chintzy looking poo poo ever.

it's like someone looked at a Spyker interior and didn't really get the point

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Holy poo poo no loving way that owns so loving HARD

I don't get it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Fred Durst likes wagons and they are cool and good.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Puddin posted:

Koenigsegg would be my number one. Everything he does is extracting crazy hp by whatever means using cutting edge tech while still making the things bullet proof.

That and he just seems like he would be chill to have a beer with and just listen to all the crazy stuff he's tried but didn't make it.
"...And then the bastard uses a laser in his watch to cut through his restraints, and runs out the room! His loving watch! Of course, he took out all my henchmen as well, and pulled the plug on the missile launch just in time. Anyway, that's why I don't have that hollowed-out volcano island anymore. We'll probably go to Monaco this holiday. Hey, you ever seen a shark with a railgun built into its dorsal fin? Check this out...""

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Alaois posted:

it's like someone looked at a Spyker interior and didn't really get the point

Yup, that was my thought too "this is so cool but y'know what it really needs? MORE OF EVERYTHING!"

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

InitialDave posted:

"...And then the bastard uses a laser in his watch to cut through his restraints, and runs out the room! His loving watch! Of course, he took out all my henchmen as well, and pulled the plug on the missile launch just in time. Anyway, that's why I don't have that hollowed-out volcano island anymore. We'll probably go to Monaco this holiday. Hey, you ever seen a shark with a railgun built into its dorsal fin? Check this out...""

Holy poo poo I wish I could 5 posts.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Larrymer posted:

Didn't see this in the description the first time: :lol:

https://www.gofundme.com/replace-the-busch-light-from-my-crx

$43 of $18 goal

hahahaa

wait sorry I mean "THIS IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH A?MERICA I WISH PEOPLE WERE KILLED"

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

The Locator posted:

Probably right.

I had a race car for quite a few years that was carbed because of dumb rules for the class, and I swore after I got rid of it that I would deal with the wiring, cost, effort and weight penalty on any car in the future where FI was an option. Stupid car was a pain to make run perfectly all the time as the weather and altitude changed wildly at different event venues, whereas with FI, things just work.

Thank you for making me look forwards to what I'm going to have to do to get competitive power in the SCCA roadrace class I'm building the rotary Miata for. Go go gadget homebrew modified Weber IDAs! :(

I really should write to the board and ask if they would please please please accept Weber style TBs modified to accept the same chokes (42mm in my case) that the Webers have to run.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

Fred Durst fuckin owns motherfuckers

Why would you want to own a motherfucker, much less multiple motherfuckers?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The difference between that and chintzy is that in the Pagani, all that silver stuff is actually *metal*.
That said, yeah, it's a bit much.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

Darchangel posted:

Why would you want to own a motherfucker, much less multiple motherfuckers?

The difference between that and chintzy is that in the Pagani, all that silver stuff is actually *metal*.
That said, yeah, it's a bit much.

I think gaudy is the word he was looking for

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

No, I think he was right the first time.

Just going by that picture, it doesn't look gaudy, it looks fuckin cheap and trashy

If in 1999 Chuck E Cheese had a fuckin rocket ship ride that you fed quarters into and it would shake or something, that's what the dashboard would have looked like

That said I once heard a Pagani go flat out in the Robin Williams tunnel and it's still the best sound I've heard irl

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/photo-gallery-video-jon-kaases-amazing-mel-engine/ Here's some awesome poo poo if you're an engine nerd.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I sort of agree but also want to live in whatever techno future universe where that shits the norm.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you're driving a futuristic space ship maybe the interior should look like a futuristic space ship?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Galler posted:

I sort of agree but also want to live in whatever techno future universe where that shits the norm.

I'd like to see it under normal lighting where there aren't a billion things reflected on every surface, too.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I don't understand why Koenigsegg doesn't get more attention. Everything they do seems to be pushing the envelope in ways other car companies aren't, yet all the focus is on Ferrari, McLaren, Bugatti, etc. They only showed up on Top Gear what, twice? Haven't been on the Grand Tour (only a couple seasons, but still). Do they just not do press cars? I can understand that given their size, but Pagani's no larger and at least up until a couple years ago they were all over the place.

I want to see the One:1 or Regera vs the Chiron.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I used to use a Winamp skin that looked like the Pagani interior

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

If you're driving a futuristic space ship maybe the interior should look like a futuristic space ship?

Nah, spaceship outside, 93' Camry inside.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Nah, spaceship outside, 93' Camry inside.

At least you don't have to worry about it breaking down anytime soon.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Larrymer posted:

I'd like to see it under normal lighting where there aren't a billion things reflected on every surface, too.

Normal lighting like driving it in broad daylight with the sun beaming in? I can't see that being much more pleasant to drive in. I'm not a big fan of reflective material in or on cars. I don't even like dashboards to have fake textures to them because it just ends up reflected on the windshield.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wow.
That head is amazing. That's a lot of work to get that MEL up to something like modern capabilities, but I guess Jon is bored with "normal" race engines.
I'd kind of like to see what he could do with an Olds V8 now.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I want a Kasse Boss 9 in aluminum block flavor so bad. SO BAD.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Coredump posted:

I want a Kasse Boss 9 in aluminum block flavor so bad. SO BAD.

Not emptyquoting. Though not sure what I'd put it in.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
In case anyone isn't looking at the page, there are two huge rule cheats in the engine that are incredibly clever.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

um excuse me posted:

In case anyone isn't looking at the page, there are two huge rule cheats in the engine that are incredibly clever.

The rules didn't say you couldn't have 1 inch thick head gaskets :colbert:

They obviously will now, but that's still hilarious.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That's the way the game's meant to be played.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That is magnificent.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

He's the Smokey Yunick of engines, for sure. Rules are changed literally because of this guy.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Galler posted:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2pTdm1IOuw

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

I am not an engine nerd and there is a lot I do not understand about what's going on there, but I can tell that it is great. The contortions around the rules are amazing.

Not nearly as cool, but there is a large portion of me that would bid on this thing if it wouldn't literally smoosh my driveway in warm weather. 1983 M923A converted from 6x6 to 4x4.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I am not an engine nerd and there is a lot I do not understand about what's going on there, but I can tell that it is great. The contortions around the rules are amazing.

It's all done to straighten out the ports. The airflow has to take a downward turn to get from the intake into the cylinder. Having that turn be really quick and sharp is bad on any engine, but if you're running a carburetor it's a death blow; it creates a very low speed region that causes the small fuel droplets to combine into big ones that don't burn as well. It saps power and makes the engine run rough, just a bad day all around. All the compression, timing, etc in the world won't make you power if you can't get your air/fuel into the cylinder.

The solution is to make the port longer and curve it more gently, but the rules say the head must be stock outer size, and those heads are particularly compact even for an OHV engine; there's just not enough metal to make the path he wanted with the valves in their stock location.

So he moved the valves down. That "valve seat" moves the roof of the combustion chamber down a whole inch, and gave him lots of extra room to route the ports. It's legal because it's removable and not technically changing the head dimension.

Thing is, there's not enough metal in the block to plunge down an inch to make room for the expanded valve seat, and appropriate connecting rods probably don't exist. So you lift the head away from the block. Usually a metal plate is used; some guys use it so they can run longer stroke than would be otherwise feasible. The rules ban those too. They don't say anything about making your head gasket arbitrarily thick, though.

So all of that works together to lift the heads up and lengthen the ports, while keeping the combustion chambers in their original location. It lets that engine, which is notorious for being underpowered, breathe well enough to use more conventional tuning methods to make huge power.

It's loving brilliant.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 7, 2017

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Enourmo posted:

It's loving brilliant.

...And in the finest traditions of Motorsport, it will be illegal next year.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Enourmo posted:

Usually a metal plate is used; some guys use it so they can run longer stroke than would be otherwise feasible. The rules ban those too. They don't say anything about making your head gasket arbitrarily thick, though.
Is the definitional difference between this gasket and the plate just that the gasket is designed to interface and seal between the deck and the head?
Doesn't the metal plate seal perfectly, too?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kimbo305 posted:

Is the definitional difference between this gasket and the plate just that the gasket is designed to interface and seal between the deck and the head?
Doesn't the metal plate seal perfectly, too?

You know, the article claims deck plates are prohibited, but reading through the rules I can't see where.

I believe typically the deck plate has head gaskets above and below, to seal to the head and block respectively. Since on this engine the plate has o-rings and such integrated into it, it counts as the head gasket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://giant.gfycat.com/GiddyPopularDwarfrabbit.mp4