Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

Periphery posted:

Aaron Francis (pick 6 in 2015) has requested a trade home to :siren:South Australia:siren: despite being contracted with Essendon until the end of 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

realbez posted:

I’ve never heard of Harley Belic or this Francis guy that Essendon think is worth a first rounder

Francis: Drafted back in 2015 at pick 6, played 5 games and kicked two goals. Still no tank which is concerning when a team wants you to be a midfielder.

Balic: Taken at pick 38 in 2015, midfielder who has played four games this season but went on indefinite leave for personal reasons. His dad infamously offered to pay him to just refuse to join Fremantle and to stay in Victoria

Testekill fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 6, 2017

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

idgi

E: Gresham was pick 5 I take it?

snaeksikn fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Oct 6, 2017

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Testekill posted:

Balic: Taken at pick 38 in 2015, midfielder who has played four games this season but went on indefinite leave for personal reasons. His dad infamously offered to pay him to just refuse to join Fremantle and to stay in Victoria

He's had a bunch of ops on his wrist in his first year, which kept him from getting on the field, and then in the second year got home sick.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Testekill posted:

Francis: Drafted back in 2015 at pick 6, played 5 games and kicked two goals. Still no tank which is concerning when a team wants you to be a midfielder.

Thank you (not sarcasm)

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

snaeksikn posted:

idgi

Gresh was taken with the pick upgrade we got for trading out pick 5 for Carlisle so I'm just being a smug bastard about it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

snaeksikn posted:

idgi

Saints traded pick 5 and 24 for Carlisle & pick 14. 14 got pushed back to 18 thanks to academy selections and they took Gresham with it, meanwhile Essendon took Francis & Alex Morgan with their picks. Carlisle played every game in 2017 & Gresham has managed 40 games while Francis has only played the five & Morgan hasn't played one yet.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 6, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Crows b&f was won by Matt Crouch tonight, and Lever didn't finish in the top 10

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
So I've been on a self-imposed footy media exile since the Grand Final, other than loosely hearing that Lever is out and Cameron wants a trade which we're not granting. Finally figured I should be a big boy and face up to footy again.

Did Lever seriously dump his Crows gear in a literal dump? Hahahahaha, what a tosser. I'm really bummed about him leaving, even though it's been effectively known for months now. He's a great player and we're going to miss him. I hope Doedee or someone similar can step into his shoes.

If Cameron does want to leave I think the Crows are making a massive mistake not trading him this year when we can get a good return for him. Better than doing it next year when he's out of contract and is only interested in going to one or two clubs at most in Queensland. Mind you, I guess if we are potentially in a premiership window it would be a shame to lose one of our few players with genuine x-factor now.

I wish players didn't want to leave the Crows so often :smith: Actually, I don't even mind it so much, players are going to move around and that's unavoidable, but I just don't get why it never seems to come back the other way. Doesn't seem fair :saddowns:

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 6, 2017

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

What makes it worse is when they want to gently caress off to Brisbane of all places.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Is there anything about the teams culture or support level that has players leaving the crows more? Or is it just a few high profile cases that seems that way?

I mean sometimes they might need some introspection. When Deledio left us for GWS it hurt and a lot of Richmond fans I knew thought him a traitor etc, but honestly I didn't blame him, we were showing no signs of changing.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I was okay with Dids leaving after I pursued him to a garbage dump and rifled through his trash and found nothing untoward.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

gay picnic defence posted:

The Dogs for some reason expect a decent pick for Stringer so it might take a while for them to come around

Truly baffling that they'd want a good pick for a contracted 23 year old All-Australian

[quote="“cmndstab”" post="“477113152”"]

Did Lever seriously dump his Crows gear in a literal dump? Hahahahaha, what a tosser.
[/quote]
I kind of get it, he isn't gonna need it

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Shmoses posted:

I kind of get it, he isn't gonna need it

What is he going to do, put it in a box and drag it around with him for the rest of his life? He's probably kept a few jumpers and the rest can go. If he gave it to an op-shop there would have been a massive story about it, and he probably figured he could just go to the tip without somebody following him and making a story out of it.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Yes? I mean, I get it, he's not playing for the Crows anymore, but you'd think you'd want to keep things like your club gear for posterity's sake. Even though he won't finish his career at the Crows, he started it there, surely he'd still like some keepsakes from that in 20 years time? I mean, he could get a nasty injury in preseason and never play again, and he just threw away the only gear he's ever appeared in at AFL level. Seems weird to me, anyway. Kind of spiteful.

Regarding club culture and stuff, it's difficult for me to say obviously since I'm biased and also not in the inner circle, but I've always had the impression the culture at Adelaide is pretty good. Very few of the players are known ratbags (at least by AFL standards), the playing group seems pretty close, and we're relatively successful both off-field and on-field. Players like Cameron and Lever haven't exactly been starved of opportunities. Our coaches are respected and not known to be firecrackers, and the playing group has been through some tough times that have helped them to bond. And we play every second match at one of the best grounds in the country in front of 45k-50k supporters. Not sure what would be missing in terms of culture.

At the same time, it's hard to argue with a record of Bock, Davis, Gunston, Tippett, Dangerfield, Lever, Cameron in the last decade. I'm sure I'm missing someone too. And again, I don't mind players leaving, but it's frustrating that we never seem to attract stars back. Eddie Betts is the obvious exception, but outside of him the only players we ever get back are bit part players at other clubs that we manage to turn into good players, ie Lynch, Jacobs, Jenkins, Seedsman, etc. And even in Jacobs' case he chose Port, they just didn't want him.

In the meantime Port seem to have been able to attract genuine established players or potential stars of the future like Ryder, Dixon, Polec, etc, while keeping seemingly anyone rumoured to be considering leaving.

There's an argument that our pay structure isn't conducive to retaining stars, since we seem to prefer to pay our bottom 22 players a bit more than average and our top 22 players a bit less.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 7, 2017

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

cmndstab posted:

Yes? I mean, I get it, he's not playing for the Crows anymore, but you'd think you'd want to keep things like your club gear for posterity's sake.

How do you know he didn't keep a few things?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Troy Menzel got delisted. I wonder what he could have been if he even had half of the heart and drive that Dan has.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

^^ Troy Menzel got concussed 3 times in his first season with us, in a season where the SANFL made stupid decisions over the fixture and inserted multiple byes everywhere, and between recovery and byes he never got a run of games to build form and earn a spot. Was always up against it from there.

I mean, you can try really hard, but there's no real way to defend a player taking multiple bags full of club provided gear to a council dump 3 days after losing the grand final, and a couple days before the club best and fairest, and then trying to pretend he's the good guy.

Oh, and Dean Gore was delisted too, and I think you'll find that's part of why we've decided not to take any poo poo at the trade table this year.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 7, 2017

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
My boy Troy Menzel delisted. :negative:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

boy undead posted:

Gresh was taken with the pick upgrade we got for trading out pick 5 for Carlisle so I'm just being a smug bastard about it.

Saints will train them up and ship them out when the cap is reached or the trade is right, whichever comes first. Best training team ever.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

No! Not Dean Gore!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

ewe2 posted:

Saints will train them up and ship them out when the cap is reached or the trade is right, whichever comes first. Best training team ever.
Ah the Crewe Alexandra model (without so much :pedo: crap.)

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I mean there was that one guy, but that just drags up bad memories for everyone.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I feel a bit sorry for Gore the poor guy became a massive punchline through no fault of his own

Unless you count being bad at footy as his fault

I suppose it sort of is

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Gean Dore

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

hiddenmovement posted:

I feel a bit sorry for Gore the poor guy became a massive punchline through no fault of his own

Unless you count being bad at footy as his fault

I suppose it sort of is

I think it got to him this year too, because he was well down on the previous season and was playing like a guy with his ticket already punched from before half way.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Foxfooty are saying the Crows will knock back Camerons request for a trade to Brisbane and will hold him to his contract

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
source: bin

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lever missing the top ten in Adelaide’s b+f is the petty even for them

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-07/two-cut-as-crows-start-to-swing-the-axe

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

realbez posted:

Clearly only worth a single late first round or early second round pick imo

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Jack Watts apparently meeting cats officials.

Motlop out Watts in

Why

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

Clearly only worth a single late first round or early second round pick imo

He is coming back from a knee reco after all.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

hiddenmovement posted:

Jack Watts apparently meeting cats officials.

Motlop out Watts in

Why
As Clarko would say:

One solider spud out on solider spud in.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

snaeksikn posted:

Foxfooty are saying the Crows will knock back Camerons request for a trade to Brisbane and will hold him to his contract

On the one hand I want to keep Charlie Cameron because he's my dude, but on the other hand if you love someone set them free or whatever

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Why would you drop Menzel for a final then be interested in picking up Watts lol

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

realbez posted:

Final Leaderboard Top 10
Matt Crouch – 315
Rory Sloane – 253
Rory Laird – 226
Sam Jacobs – 224
Richard Douglas – 219
Taylor Walker – 211
Tom Lynch – 203
Brad Crouch – 194
Brodie Smith – 194
Eddie Betts – 187

Didn't deserve to be ahead of any of them off the back of only 17 games this season.

Not seeing any media outrage over Stringer not going to the Dogs b&f

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 7, 2017

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I mean stringer was poo poo this year.

E: Oh he didn't go, okay. Was he invited?

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 7, 2017

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

The only thing Watts has over Motlop is height, unless we are planning on paying Jack minimum wage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Just in: Adelaide retrospectively rigged the B&F voting so Jake Lever wouldn't finish top 10

• Locked thread