Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Slugworth posted:

Am I understanding this correctly? A person shouldn't spend 600 on a beloved pet because that money could be better spent on... other animals?

My kid needed chemo, but you know, I just figured "why save him, when that money would buy braces for literally dozens of children?"

On a global scale it is kind of strange that if your kid gets cancer, huge amounts of resources will be poured into saving them when you can save a child in another country's life, right now, for like, ~3.5k. Like if I were masterminding my own do-over of the world's resources I'd probably think of some way to address that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
No guarantees that kid you save won't get cancer and die as soon as your money gets him out of the gutter so why bother with any of it?

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Grem posted:

No guarantees that kid you save won't get cancer and die as soon as your money gets him out of the gutter so why bother with any of it?

I guarantee that will happen to anyone you save.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
"My [current, totally not ex-]girlfried..."

quote:

Immediately, she starts telling me that she can't believe I would ever say something like that, and told me to get out, that she was done with the relationship

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

All the bolded parts missed this:

quote:

for about 3 years now. We've had some pretty bad rough spots recently, right after doing good for a while. That seems to be the pattern with us.

Textbook toxic, emotionally abusive relationship. Fighting, screaming at each other, not talking, and then "doing good for a while" until the next big blowup. These people hate each other and have no idea how to resolve conflicts like adults, and probably one or both of them has some mental health issue they've never dealt with. They're both better off without one another.

Source: was in one of these relationships in my early 20s. Untreated depression is a fucker.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It you hate yourself enough, you'll go through anything to avoid being alone

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.

Sentient Data posted:

It you hate yourself enough, you'll go through anything to avoid being alone

This. It's important to learn to love yourself, even if it sounds cheesy sometimes. You are alone most of the time.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Bertrand Hustle posted:

All the bolded parts missed this:

Textbook toxic, emotionally abusive relationship. Fighting, screaming at each other, not talking, and then "doing good for a while" until the next big blowup. These people hate each other and have no idea how to resolve conflicts like adults, and probably one or both of them has some mental health issue they've never dealt with. They're both better off without one another.

Source: was in one of these relationships in my early 20s. Untreated depression is a fucker.

He mentioned she had BPD, so yeah. She needs a loving, caring relationship with a good therapist (and even that likely won't do a whole lot of good), not with him.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

nah, farmers are waaay warmer than this. They do what they have to, but they care for their animals.

farmers cull barn cats on the regular because they get out of control.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

farmers cull barn cats on the regular because they get out of control.

Some do. Domestic rural cats are another story entirely. Especially since mice and rats are something you genuinely have to worry about.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

Some do. Domestic rural cats are another story entirely. Especially since mice and rats are something you genuinely have to worry about.

well sure, you don't kill them all and you generally leave the more domestic ones that don't kill your own livestock.

audiophileai
Jun 25, 2015

quote:

My [28F] husband [30M] "came out" as autistic a month ago. Now our 2 year old son has been diagnosed. I'm upset.

Husband and I have been married for 5 years. During that time, I've noticed that he has a bit of a temper sometimes, but never suspected anything being douchy behavior.
Fast forward to a month ago, my husband tells me that he thinks he is on the autism spectrum, based on several tests he's taken online and message boards he's read. He has yet to get an official diagnosis...I do kind of keep pushing for that, in order to get him help, but he's putting it off for an unknown reason.

Now, yesterday, our 2 year old son was given a diagnosis of being on the spectrum, due to some poor communication/language skills and social behaviours.
I love my husband and son. I know that being autistic is not the worst thing in the world. It's not some horrible scary disease. But it does affect daily life. I am supportive of my husband and want him to feel good about himself and get help, but he keeps pushing me away. And honestly, I wish he had said something before now, maybe in the three years we were dating. He has suspected since before then. I wouldn't have left him, but I wish I had been prepared.
How should I be responding? How can I be sensitive in this situation while also saying what I need to say (if anything)?
TL;DR Husband thinks he's autistic, our son is for sure autistic. Mad at my husband for not telling me sooner, and scared for our future.

:o

audiophileai fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 6, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

they can at least bond over model trains

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.
Time for them to watch Atypical on netflix

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kill him before he kills you!!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My[26F] boyfriend[39M] of 7yrs said something really upsetting when I tried talking to him about different birth control methods due to health concerns. Not sure what to say to him.

quote:

TL;DR at the bottom. Throwaway account because he uses Reddit as well.

Last night I tried talking to my boyfriend last night about switching birth control methods. I am currently on the pill and it is causing severe abdominal pain and irregular periods. I also think it may have been ineffective at preventing pregnancy because I think I may have gotten pregnant and miscarried without realizing I was pregnant to begin with.

When I explained all of this to him he said "I'll be your birth control. Why don't you just look at me and never want to have kids?" After he said that I was just kind of silent and then said I really want to have children someday and thought he did too. He then said "I don't know. We can talk about it."

I want to have children in a couple of years. He and I are both in the military and right now my career just isn't conducive to having children. However, I should be settled enough to consider having them within a couple of years. He's older than me and I think if we wait any longer, he will use his age as an excuse not to have them, especially given his comment from last night.

Mostly his remark just made me really sad. I'm not sure how to talk to him about this now. If he's not sure about having children, do I continue to wait and find out? If he knows I want children but he doesn't, I might become resentful of not having any later on in life. Do men ever go from "I don't know" to "yes, let's have children?"

I don't want him to feel like I'm pressuring him about children. How do I talk to him about this when he sounded so dejected?

TL;DR: Conversation about birth control turned into my boyfriend saying just his presence should make me never want to have children. He knows I want children someday. He said he just doesn't know and we can talk about it. I'm not sure how to talk to him about this and what it means for our relationship.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pick posted:

Kill him before he kills you!!

I knew you were gonna prove the guy right for not wanting to be open about it but jeez

Unless said murder method involves locking her in her favourite computer

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

[quote="„Danaru“" post="„477112181“"]
My[26F] boyfriend[39M] of 7yrs said something really upsetting when I tried talking to him about different birth control methods due to health concerns. Not sure what to say to him.
[/quote]

She should leave him the gently caress alone. He will never accept having children, so just spare yourself some trouble, girl...

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
How do you date someone for 5 years and marry them and not know they might be autistic? Or is the thing to that story that the husband is lying?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Danaru posted:

Holy poo poo they're in the military too? They must be in different commands but lol, I got poo poo for my ex wife being one rank below me, I can't imagine how much poo poo that dude gets.

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

[quote="„Demon Of The Fall“" post="„477112836“"]
How do you date someone for 5 years and marry them and not know they might be autistic? Or is the thing to that story that the husband is lying?
[/quote]

I don't think that he lied. She stated that she noticed his "temper issues" over the years and he probably noticed them too, thats probably why he started doing some research

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My[24m] gf[19f] of 7 months has BPD. Today she assaulted me, almost through my dog out a window, and is now talking to her ex who she cheated on me with during a previous 'episode'. I'm numb and tired.

I love this one. I dated a girl who ended up having BPD (she kept it under wraps pretty well until I was good and hooked), and it sounds a lot like my experience. Down to it being really hard to leave.

I also love the comments where people are like "not all people with BPD are terrifying hellmonsters, most of us are fine!" Even if that were true (it's not), most of the chambers in a revolver can be unloaded, but I'm not gonna start playing Russian Roulette.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I [30s/F] lost a friend [30s/F] a few days ago. My husband [30sM] tried to turn comforting me into sex and it really upset me

quote:

I lost a friend a few days ago. I was not super close to the person who died, but it is still really affecting me. I've been crying a lot. Today was no exception. I was clearly feeling down when I headed upstairs to take a shower. When I got out of the shower, my husband came in the bathroom, stood behind me, and started giving me little kisses on my back/head/shoulders I think to comfort me. Problem is, I was naked still and after about 30 seconds of this he was clearly turned on. I kind of slid out and away from him because I was nowhere near in the mood for that, and he sort of made a sigh in a "of course you're not interested, you never are" way.

Some background, we have very different sex drives. Mine is pretty much non-existent, and his is really high. It has caused some tension in our relationship because he feels bad always being the one to initiate and feeling like I won't enjoy it. I want to want it, but I just don't. On average I'd say we have sex 1-2 times a week.

Anyways, he made a comment about it being almost a week since last time we had sex. I said I know, but I'm feeling sad right now. He then said "That's why we should have done it on Monday" (Monday was the day before my friend died, and also the last time he tried to initiate but I turned him down).

I feel really awful when I turn him down, but in this case I just felt like it was inappropriate for him to even ask, and to respond the way he did, and it's really bothering me. I know he has a high sex drive, but I wish he could do things like hug me, even when I'm naked, without getting turned on, and I feel like he can't.

tl;dr My husband was comforting me when I was down, and it bothered me that it turned him on and he tried to initiate sex.

Nice.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Danaru posted:

What the gently caress does "I'll be your birth control. Why don't you just look at me and never want to have kids?" even mean? Like is it supposed to be that he's all she should need? Or like maybe he's so hosed up she wouldn't want kids with him?

Either way, any guy that objects to a girl wanting to change birth control methods is a shitbird and deserves to not get laid ever again...and that's before you even get to the part about whether or not he wants kids in the future.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

fruit on the bottom posted:

I [30s/F] lost a friend [30s/F] a few days ago. My husband [30sM] tried to turn comforting me into sex and it really upset me

Nice.

This guy is obviously a complete piece of poo poo for trying to initiate sex while she's grieving over a dead friend; that's just messed up.

However...if your sex drives are that fundamentally incompatible, why would you get married??

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Adam Vegas posted:

This guy is obviously a complete piece of poo poo for trying to initiate sex while she's grieving over a dead friend; that's just messed up.

However...if your sex drives are that fundamentally incompatible, why would you get married??

There are so many Reddit posts about this every day and I still have no idea. If they were the same initially but changed for whatever reason (medical problems, depression, etc) that's one thing, but so many of these are "we never had the same sex drive and still got married, what do?"

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I love this one. I dated a girl who ended up having BPD (she kept it under wraps pretty well until I was good and hooked), and it sounds a lot like my experience. Down to it being really hard to leave.

I also love the comments where people are like "not all people with BPD are terrifying hellmonsters, most of us are fine!" Even if that were true (it's not), most of the chambers in a revolver can be unloaded, but I'm not gonna start playing Russian Roulette.

BPD is one of those lovely, lovely things where I'm well aware that those with it can't help themselves, but I absolutely agree I'm never loving dating another person like that in my life.

The worst part is that the happy, enthusiastic, loving person is effectively just as much of a falsehood as the hellmonster.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ouhei posted:

What the gently caress does "I'll be your birth control. Why don't you just look at me and never want to have kids?" even mean? Like is it supposed to be that he's all she should need? Or like maybe he's so hosed up she wouldn't want kids with him?

He's in the military; it's the latter.

e: tbf he started a relationship with a teenager in his 30s, so we can't call his burgeoning self-loathing entirely uncalled-for

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 6, 2017

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Let's play guess the show!

quote:

Dear Prudence,
I’ve known my friend “B” for around five years. We met as students and had a wonderful companionship through school and still remain close. The only problem is her escalating interest in the cast of a television show, particularly one male actor. It began with a minor interest in the show while we were students. She was going through a rough time personally and began watching; over the years, she has become so obsessed with one of the lead actors that she now spends thousands of dollars to go to conventions across the country, attends related events, and generally finds reasons to be in his neighborhood. They have “coincidentally” met several times, and he was rude to her on multiple occasions. This is only a fraction of what B has done to research, stalk, and meet this actor, who is twice her age. He now recognizes her.

I’ve never spoken to her about how I feel although the whole thing creeps me out. Now she has a group of friends that she met online, and they are all intensely involved in the “fandom,” too. When I have met them, they only discussed said actor, who most recently saw him, and what’s happening in their online community. Many of her pre-fandom friends are ghosting her, including her closest friend from childhood, and I’m considering doing the same. Others have told B that her behavior is odd, and she has responded with anger. Should I tell her that this is why her other friends have stopped speaking to her? (She is completely unaware of the reason they dropped out of her life.) Or should I avoid the confrontation and fade out as well?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Adam Vegas posted:

Because people are told if you think sex is important enough to break up over it, you're a shallow piece of poo poo.

However, sex is also so important that if your partner even thinks about loving someone else, you should break up. Otherwise you're a doormat.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I hope it's like, charles dance or something.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's always Supernatural

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I hope it's like, charles dance or something.

Benedict Cumberbatch

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Benedict Cumberbatch

oh that's... disappointingly obvious now that you say it

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

La Brea Carpet posted:

Let's play guess the show!

Sherlock?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Realtak its probably like Benedict Cumberbatch or one of the guys from Supernatural.

Dream scenario its like Rob Schnieder

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Charles Get-Out posted:

BPD is one of those lovely, lovely things where I'm well aware that those with it can't help themselves, but I absolutely agree I'm never loving dating another person like that in my life.

The worst part is that the happy, enthusiastic, loving person is effectively just as much of a falsehood as the hellmonster.

The worst part is how they'll use the fact it's not their fault and they can't help it as a weapon if they think you're going to leave (and they usually think you're going to leave)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
How old is the post? Because I'm hoping it's Andy Griffith.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Barudak posted:

Realtak its probably like Benedict Cumberbatch or one of the guys from Supernatural.

Dream scenario its like Rob Schnieder

my girlfriend watches biodome every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
If it's Sherlock it could actually be Martin Freeman. Apparently he can get pretty abrasive in real life.