Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

you making stuff up isn't evidence yronic. as pathetic as usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

you making stuff up isn't evidence yronic. as pathetic as usual

Hmm yes if only there was some sort of news about plaintiffs being screwed by that law you are defending.

If only you could google the law and various connected terms dealing with the lawsuits against gun companies.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
weird. team centrist, presented with an unequivocal demonstration of the fact that centrists decided to silence black voices in favor of protecting their own personal power, suddenly decides erasure is good and right actually

how utterly unpredictable

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
its almost like centrists don't actually have any ideology, just a set of confabulations for why they shouldn't do anything

ask them to address economic injustice? "Will breaking up the banks fix racism?"
ask them to address racism? "BLM needs to be shut up, it's not economically viable to listen to their concerns."

the fascinating thing about the circular logic express is no matter how long you stay on it, you get off at exactly the point you came on: Better Things Aren't Possible

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

Hmm yes if only there was some sort of news about plaintiffs being screwed by that law you are defending.

If only you could google the law and various connected terms dealing with the lawsuits against gun companies.

If only I were defending the law, instead of saying the sandy hook case would've been tossed even before the plcaa.

again, sad yronic

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

He's pretty clearly not defending the law.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

He's pretty clearly not defending the law.

Condiv posted:

it wouldn't have. suing gun manufacturers for the criminal use of their products never really worked even before the law hillary was slagging bernie for even passed.

trying to claim that it's a form of gun control is absolutely idiotic considering that it has hardly ever worked, and these suits were being thrown out all through the 90s and 00s leading up to the law hillary was trying to claim made bernie hate the victims of gun violence.

He's defending the law by arguing the law has had no impact on the proliferation of guns.

Ze Pollack posted:

weird. team centrist, presented with an unequivocal demonstration of the fact that centrists decided to silence black voices in favor of protecting their own personal power, suddenly decides erasure is good and right actually

Gun control, not an issue overwhelmingly supported by black voices, and in fact a cynical centrist ploy to hold onto power. Erasure, again!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Condiv posted:

are you still butthurt that i called you out on supporting the iraq war? sad

Aw, so he also is a warmonger. It's amazing how many of the neoliberals here are just republicans with fake wokeness. But then most of them are in fact, sociopaths.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

He's defending the law by arguing the law has had no impact on the proliferation of guns.

i didn't say that either jc

i said suits like sandy hook are near worthless wrt that

Condiv fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 6, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Helsing posted:

So your argument is that it is categorically impossible for a politician to not have the best interests of their voters at heart.

The inverse of this would be that since he got their votes Trump cares very dearly about the lives of poor white rurals. It's uh, quite the leap of logic to take.

Yeah, this is something that has always seemed kinda trivially true to me (the idea that "X people voting for Y politician means Y politician is objectively the best for serving their interests" isn't accurate), but I generally held back on making this argument during the primaries because I feel like I'm not the best person to deliver it (since I'm not black myself).

Generally speaking, voter demographics can usually be relied upon to not support politicians who are actively and explicitly* hostile towards them. Low black support for Republicans is an example; hardly anyone isn't aware of the fact that Republicans are terrible on racial issues. But the inverse (that high support implies a politician is good for the demographic) is not true. Most voters, regardless of demographic, don't really understand how policy translates to results, so all they have to go by is rhetoric and the general impression of a candidate/party created by the media, etc. Clinton had a long history as a prominent representative of the Democratic Party, which had been basically the only alternative to the obviously hostile Republican Party (not to mention the association with the civil rights era that would exist with older black Americans). Sanders also suffered due to poor messaging/interaction with PoC communities during the earlier parts of his campaign, and though he improved greatly upon this later, it was probably too late to make much of a difference. It's possible to acknowledge the fact that these factors could lead to Clinton dominating among black primary voters (who lean older; the huge age discrepancy in preference is important) while also believing/asserting that Sanders' policy/ideological goals would be objectively better for black Americans than Clinton's. This doesn't mean that black voters were ignorant or something; it just means that they're just like literally all other voters.

* I say "actively and explicitly" because obviously Republicans are bad for poor rural whites, but that isn't really a part of their rhetoric. Just listening to Republicans talk won't necessarily tell you that they're bad for poor people; you have to actually understand the effects of the policy they support. On the other hand, frequent Republican opposition to ideology/policy that would clearly help PoC is very clear and explicit.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

i said it's near worthless wrt that

Why did the lobbyists want it so bad?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

Why did the lobbyists want it so bad?

there was a wave of cities suing manufacturers for gun crime, arguing that they held responsibility for the violence their products contributed to, and should have to pay accordingly. courts tossed the cases on the regular.

imo, laws like the plcaa are a bad idea cause they can block actually worthwhile suits (like the one i quoted earlier), but suits like sandy hook are idiotic and should be tossed (and would've been even before the plcaa)

though really i shouldn't have spent this much effort writing a response to you

Condiv fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 6, 2017

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

i said suits like sandy hook are near worthless wrt that

"I'm not defending the law, I'm just arguing the law has no impact because lawsuits are pointless."

:rolleyes:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

"I'm not defending the law, I'm just arguing the law has no impact because lawsuits are pointless."

:rolleyes:

no, i already listed a case where the law had a negative impact. it's dumb and pointless to want gun control to be implemented via lawsuit though. the effort should be used on actual gun control laws imo

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

no, i already listed a case where the law had a negative impact. it's dumb and pointless to want gun control to be implemented via lawsuit though. the effort should be used on actual gun control laws imo

Now you're creating a false dilemma to defend the law.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

Now you're creating a false dilemma to defend the law.

no, the sandy hook case itself was a false dilemma. it was dumb and was rightfully tossed. and hillary tried to claim bernie hated sandy hook victims' parents to create a false dilemma to distract from black lives matter messages on the advice of a rapist that the democratic party is way too entangled with

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Condiv posted:

hillary tried to claim bernie hated sandy hook victims' parents

That's quite the ridiculous exaggeration. It's almost like nothing you post about HRC has ever been in good faith.

Also, they should be allowed to sue the gun manufacturers. And we should ban guns. And I like Bernie better than I like Hilary but maybe he was wrong about this one point.

But I do get why, being from the state he is in, maybe it's politically important for him to be wrong on this point.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Condiv posted:

how about actual gun control laws? those are much more effective than idiotic nuisance lawsuits that get tossed out constantly cause there's no basis for suing someone for the criminal usage of a product not designed to be used to break the law.

oh, bernie would've agreed with those. and hillary was attacking him for saying "i don't think people should be able to sue gun manufacturers because their products were misused by a third party"

the only reason it was ever an issue in the primary was to distract from actual issues like blm, police murdering black people en masse.
As I recall Bernie was also a no vote on the Brady Bill because, ahem, it's a state's right to impose a waiting period not the federal government's. I recognize he was representing his rural state which has no gun control and little gun violence, and that he is indeed not a gun nut or on the NRA's payroll. But by 2016 standards he had some explaining to do on this issue. His justifications for opposing these 2 bills that were popular with establishment Democrats were "my state's rights" and "my state's small businesses," Hillary didn't have to manufacture that.

And as I recall, Hillary's campaign wasn't the one that brought it up. O'Malley and his PAC went after Sanders well before 2016, and were still at it in the televised debates. Bernie had to respond regardless of what Hillary chose to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SterfJsQyAY

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

That's quite the ridiculous exaggeration. It's almost like nothing you post about HRC has ever been in good faith.

nah not really

quote:

"That he would place gun manufacturers' rights and immunity from liability against the parents of the children killed at Sandy Hook is just unimaginable to me," said Clinton, who has long sought to highlight the candidates' differences on guns.

In the interview with the Daily News editorial board, Sanders said he did not think gun crime victims should be able to sue gun manufacturers. But he did say people should be able to sue dealers and manufacturers who sell when they know "guns are going to the hands of wrong people." He also said he supported a ban on assault weapons.

Clinton's campaign — which seized on a number of statements in the interview — organized a phone call for reporters with elected officials and gun control advocates, including Jillian Soto, whose sister was a teacher killed at Sandy Hook, called Sanders' comments "offensive."

"He doesn't know the pain my family has been going through since December 14, 2012," she said.

yeah, she stopped short of saying he literally hated them, but she was trying her damndest to make it look like he did

quote:

Also, they should be allowed to sue the gun manufacturers. And we should ban guns. And I like Bernie better than I like Hilary but maybe he was wrong about this one point.

i agree, they should be able to sue, but those suits should be tossed cause they're dumb (and they are anyway). i also agree that there should be more gun control (though ban? not so sure on that one. legitimate uses of guns like hunting rifles should stay imo). also, i do think bernie was wrong on whether people should be able to sue gun manufacturers, cause there's always the chance of something he didn't forsee happening and gun manufacturers deserving to be sued in response to a crime by a third party and i would not want that blocked.

wixard posted:

As I recall Bernie was also a no vote on the Brady Bill because, ahem, it's a state's right to impose a waiting period not the federal government's. I recognize he was representing his rural state which has no gun control and little gun violence, and that he is indeed not a gun nut or on the NRA's payroll. But by 2016 standards he had some explaining to do on this issue. His justifications for opposing these 2 bills that were popular with establishment Democrats were "my state's rights" and "my state's small businesses," Hillary didn't have to manufacture that.

And as I recall, Hillary's campaign wasn't the one that brought it up. O'Malley and his PAC went after Sanders well before 2016, and were still at it in the televised debates. Bernie had to respond regardless of what Hillary chose to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SterfJsQyAY

yes, bernie should be better on gun control. don't disagree with that

still, the sandy hook issue brought up by the clinton campaign was a distraction, and we now know it was explicitly a distraction from blm issues

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

no, the sandy hook case itself was a false dilemma

I don't think you know what a false dilemma is. You claim legal strategies are bad because legislative strategies are better. Setting aside the fact that this is far from obvious, there's no reason why both strategies cannot be pursued simultaneously. The dilemma that you've created, where we must choose one or the other, is false.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

I don't think you know what a false dilemma is. You claim legal strategies are bad because legislative strategies are better. Setting aside the fact that this is far from obvious, there's no reason why both strategies cannot be pursued simultaneously. The dilemma that you've created, where we must choose one or the other, is false.

legal strategies like that are bad because they can be turned against good causes. also because the idea of suing manufacturers for someone using their product in an illegal fashion is really bad in of itself (which coincidentally is why these lawsuits get tossed a lot)

lawsuits cost money and considerable time, both of which would be better spent on actual useful strategies like gun control legislation

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

wixard posted:

As I recall Bernie was also a no vote on the Brady Bill because, ahem, it's a state's right to impose a waiting period not the federal government's. I recognize he was representing his rural state which has no gun control and little gun violence, and that he is indeed not a gun nut or on the NRA's payroll. But by 2016 standards he had some explaining to do on this issue.

That's not really fair. His position has evolved considerably since then. Here is his voting record on gun control: (year, legislation, vote, result)

quote:

1993 Imposes a five-day waiting period and background checks on firearm purchases, part of the Brady Bill Nay, Passed
1993 Imposes instant background checks instead for firearm purchases, part of an amendment to Brady Bill Yea, Passed
1993 Imposes an interim five-day waiting period while while waiting to put a instant background check system in place, part of Brady Bill conference report Nay, Passed
1994 Bans semi-automatic assault weapons Yea Passed
1996 Repeals the semi-automatic weapons ban Nay Passed
1998 Increases minimum sentencing for gun crimes Yea Passed
1999 Creates "instant check registrants" and narrowly defines "gun shows," part of the Mandatory Gun Show Background Check Act Nay Failed
1999 Imposes three day waiting period for guns purchased at gun shows, part of an amendment to the Gun Show Act Yea Failed
2002 Allows pilots and flight personnel to carry firearms in the cockpit Yea Passed
2003 Prohibits lawsuits against firearm makers for unlawful misuse of a firearm Yea Passed
2005 Prohibits lawsuits against firearm makers for unlawful misuse of a firearm Yea Passed
2006 Prohibits funds from being used to enforce trigger locks on guns Nay Passed
2006 Increases the burden of proof for the AFT to penalize law-breaking gun dealers, as part of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms reform bill - Yea, Passed
2007 Prohibits foreign aid funding restrictions on U.S. gun ownership, as an amendment to the Consolidated Appropriations Act 2008 - Yea, Passed
2008 Prevents the use of funds for anti-gun programs as an amendment to the Indian Health Care Improvement Act - Yea, Passed
2009 Gives the District of Columbia seats in the House of Representatives and repeals the district’s ban on semi-automatic weapons - Yea, Passed
2009 Allows the use of firearms in National Parks - Yea, Passed
2009 Allows concealed and carry across state lines Nay, Failed
2009 Allows firearms in checked baggage on Amtrak trains, as an amendment to the congressional budget Yea Passed
2009 Prohibits higher insurance premiums for gun owners, as part of an amendment to the Affordable Care Act Yea Passed
2013 Prevents the U.S. from entering the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty, as an amendment to the congressional budget - Nay, Passed
2013 Allows concealed and carry across state lines in states where the practice is not prohibited - Nay, Failed
2013 Lists all people prohibited buying a firearm in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System - Yea, Failed
2013 Bans high-capacity ammunition magazines carrying more than 10 rounds - Yea, Failed
2013 Bans assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines - Yea, Failed

Saying that he has some explaining to do is only fair if you hold Hillary Clinton, and pretty much all other Democratic politicians, to the same standard. I'm not sure people like JeffersonClay or yronic are willing to play by those rules.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

lawsuits cost money and considerable time, both of which would be better spent on actual useful strategies like gun control legislation

Guess somebody doesn't know how contingent fees work. Shocker.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

Guess somebody doesn't know how contingent fees work. Shocker.

dude, the people who got screwed in the aurora massacre case that you mentioned earlier were screwed cause they had to pay the legal fees of the store they sued after their case got thrown out

and a bunch more got screwed by suing the theater and having to pay the theater's legal fees when they lost

all of that time and money was wasted on frivolous lawsuits (especially in the case of the gun store, where there was the plcaa blocking them AND state law) and would've been better spent on advocacy for gun control laws

contingent fees don't automatically make a lawsuit free

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

The special carve-out guaranteed that they would have to pay out to the gun store just for the "privilege" of getting their day in court. That is hosed up. It's also very condescending to tell these folks where to focus their energy tbh.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Crowsbeak posted:

Aw, so he also is a warmonger. It's amazing how many of the neoliberals here are just republicans with fake wokeness. But then most of them are in fact, sociopaths.

you apologized for johnson's war crimes

so i guess what i'm saying is takes one to know one and you're all a bunch of warmongers

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

also,

duckworth duckworth duckworth duckworth

duckworth duckworth duckworth duckworth

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

The special carve-out guaranteed that they would have to pay out to the gun store just for the "privilege" of getting their day in court. That is hosed up. It's also very condescending to tell these folks where to focus their energy tbh.

actually, it was the state law that had that provision:

quote:

The Colorado statute allows gun companies to recover reasonable attorneys’ fees if they’re sued and the companies win.

and yeah, that sucks. but it was also really predictable, and they probably would've had to pay attorney fees in the case where neither law existed, cause better cases have been thrown out when it comes to suing manufacturers and stores for their sales. just like how a ton of them had to pay attorney fees after they lost their suit against cinemark

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/cinemark-attorneys-aurora-victims-pay-700k-legal-fees-article-1.2694983

also, i'm not telling these people anything. i'm saying it was self-destructive to focus their energy into doomed lawsuits instead of focusing it into gun control advocacy (which, while seemingly futile, doesn't result in them being bankrupted)

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

legal strategies like that are bad because they can be turned against good causes. also because the idea of suing manufacturers for someone using their product in an illegal fashion is really bad in of itself (which coincidentally is why these lawsuits get tossed a lot)

Which other corporations are you white knighting here? No other corporations have the special liability protection carved out for gun manufacturers.

quote:

Right because all the time and money spent on lobbying for gun control in the past two decades has been so remarkably effective.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

Which other corporations are you white knighting here? No other corporations have the special liability protection carved out for gun manufacturers.

i'm not defending gun manufacturers having special liability protection jc

quote:

Right because all the time and money spent on lobbying for gun control in the past two decades has been so remarkably effective.

much more effective than flushing it down the drain on lawsuits that get tossed out (or are now blocked)

at least gun control advocacy has a chance of going somewhere

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Majorian posted:

That's not really fair. His position has evolved considerably since then. Here is his voting record on gun control: (year, legislation, vote, result)

Saying that he has some explaining to do is only fair if you hold Hillary Clinton, and pretty much all other Democratic politicians, to the same standard. I'm not sure people like JeffersonClay or yronic are willing to play by those rules.
I'm not saying Bernie had no legitimate defense to the accusations, but I think it's also disingenuous to call it dirty politics. He didn't vote against those 2 bills because they were full of pork or some technical slippery slope gotcha for gun control advocates, his positions legitimately seemed to oppose what your average Democrat thinks now. Obviously the other candidates didn't diligently explain the nuances of his positions over time, but I don't think they were taking things out of context either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure his position on Brady really evolved? I'm not accusing him of ever being completely against gun control, as the votes show he was in favor of "instant" background checks in 1993, which were technically impossible at the time, but thought the mandatory waiting period while a thorough background check happened was overreaching. I don't know that he said anything in the campaign to indicate he would now support legislation with new federal waiting periods.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Ze Pollack posted:

And that's now led to ol' Sess Jeffons deciding that "black extremists" are more dangerous than white ones. Do you know who he considers a "black extremist"? anyone who's black

Not only are centrists a-ok with this, they actively support it.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

i'm not defending gun manufacturers having special liability protection jc

What other corporations are "good causes" that would be harmed if they could be held liable for the predictable misuse of their products?

quote:

much more effective than flushing it down the drain on lawsuits that get tossed out (or are now blocked)

at least gun control advocacy has a chance of going somewhere

Legislative strategies have also failed miserably in the past two decades.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

What other corporations are "good causes" that would be harmed if they could be held liable for the predictable misuse of their products?

what are you even arguing at this point JC? whatever it is, it clearly has nothing to do with me

quote:

Legislative strategies have also failed miserably in the past two decades.

without bankrupting their supporters, unlike idiotic lawsuits

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

what are you even arguing at this point JC? whatever it is, it clearly has nothing to do with me

Condiv posted:

legal strategies like that are bad because they can be turned against good causes. also because the idea of suing manufacturers for someone using their product in an illegal fashion is really bad in of itself

Which corporations are the good ones you're describing here?

quote:

without bankrupting their supporters, unlike idiotic lawsuits

The ones that sued the ammo store lost because of the law you're "not" defending and the ones who sued the theater in aurora didn't end up paying.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

Which corporations are the good ones you're describing here?

none. where do i talk about good corporations at all?

quote:

The ones that sued the ammo store lost because of the law you're "not" defending and the ones who sued the theater in aurora didn't end up paying.

they would've lost anyway, as i said before. tons of these cases have been tried before the plcaa existed and they were thrown out a ton too cause trying to implement gun control via lawsuits is a dumb idea that doesn't mesh well with the law

edit: also, there were two laws preventing them from winning that case, a state and a federal one. and even with both of those off the table they would've lost

Condiv fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 6, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

yronic heroism posted:

Democratic appointed justices do combat racial inequality you dingus. So did the Obama DOJ. But lol there is no difference between parties because a neckbeard podcast said so.

Sorry, this is a few pages back but black households lost half their wealth in the crash of 2008 and the Obama DOJ let the guys who did it walk away without punishment. Bummer.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

actually, it was the state law that had that provision:

It's the federal law that guaranteed they'd lose though. Without that they might go to trial, and when there's a possibility of a trial then the other side also might settle rather than risk it.

Bottom line is it's a bad law and bad policy that takes away from victims who don't want to wait around for decades at best for legislative changes (that will do nothing to address the past damage to them personally, unlike a lawsuit which is exactly how people seek damages) and gives the moon to the people who profit when they contribute to that suffering.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Sorry, this is a few pages back but black households lost half their wealth in the crash of 2008 and the Obama DOJ let the guys who did it walk away without punishment. Bummer.

Sorry they focused on voting rights and stuff like that rather than seeking a handful of criminal convictions they probably wouldn't get and the Republican Supreme Court would definitely overturn. And sorry black voters didn't immediately make your talking point their top issue in 2012.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

And black voters, particularly women, seem to be holding the party accountable. It's good that Tom Perez is acknowledging that the Dems can't take black women for granted, but I hope he actually listens to them, instead of just paying them lip service. I think he'll find that black voters and left-populists of all races have a lot of goals in common.

• Locked thread