Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Turns out Tyrese was right as Universal has added a F&F spinoff starring the Rock and Statham for 2019.

Edit: Also the Death Wish reboot has been pushed back to March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

GonSmithe posted:

I was gonna watch Channing Tatum play Gambit no matter who directed it, but Gore seems like a good choice.

Until Fox finds out instead of shooting in New Orleans, Gore intends to built a scale replica of New Orleans. In New Orleans.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
[quote="“muscles like this!”" post="“477098829”"]
Turns out Tyrese was right as Universal has added a F&F spinoff starring the Rock and Statham for 2019.

Edit: Also the Death Wish reboot has been pushed back to March.
[/quote]

Maybe they can make it not suck in the meantime

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

syscall girl posted:

Naw, even Leon who was a mental level C had old memories implanted, hence Roy Batty asking him "did you find your precious photos?"

And Deckard likely was the same, hence Gaff knowing that he dreamt of unicorns and leaving the origami unicorn on his doorstep.

e: beaten by ~NMN~ sorta

The unicorns is deliberately ambiguous: the scriptwriter (who thinks Deckard is human) thought it showed that they knew how Deckard thought. Basically, the theme of how humans wer ebecoming mroe like replicants while replicants were becoming more like humans.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tars Tarkas posted:

Gore Verbinski is rumored to be in talks for Gambit

In completely related news I might want to see Gambit now...

Nice, can't wait for a 4 hour New Orleans neogothic.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Davros1 posted:

Until Fox finds out instead of shooting in New Orleans, Gore intends to built a scale replica of New Orleans. In New Orleans.

and it's got to be hard-R.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

DC Murderverse posted:

and it's got to be hard-R.

Given the success of Deadpool and Logan I doubt that would be a problem.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Flatscan posted:

Tatum has also had some success on his own with hard R comedies.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the big question is how they can get Jonah Hill in to this ...

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

well why not posted:

the big question is how they can get Jonah Hill in to this ...

Doop

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I still want Gambit to go full Jojo in the way they use their powers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Flatscan posted:

Even after Deadpool Fox had cold feet about doing another R rated superhero movie and Jackman had to volunteer a pay cut to get them to agree.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MonsieurChoc posted:

The unicorns is deliberately ambiguous: the scriptwriter (who thinks Deckard is human) thought it showed that they knew how Deckard thought. Basically, the theme of how humans wer ebecoming mroe like replicants while replicants were becoming more like humans.
Which is a nice variation on the tune the book played -- where humans inhabiting earth increasingly became 'robotic' due to their purposeless lives and the post-war culture (religion box, mood-dialer, etc).

Flatscan posted:

Never doubt the ability of a studio exec to step all over his dick.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Some of this is still in the movie too, the jokey scene with Holden isn't in there, so you get a pretty consistent pattern of the human characters all being terse assholes and the replicant characters all being desperate and passionate. Or how all of the replicants are referred to by first name in the movie while the humans are more impersonally referred to by their last.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Pacific Rim 2 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tsIOV1jS10

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tars Tarkas posted:

Gore Verbinski is rumored to be in talks for Gambit

In completely related news I might want to see Gambit now...

The Gambit movie is just an elaborate prank that Hollywood plays on Tatum.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That is interesting, it'd be cool if the MCU hired more directors like Gore instead of like, Guy Directorman (well with the exception of like, taiki, and edgar wright before he ran away)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

muscles like this! posted:

Even after Deadpool Fox had cold feet about doing another R rated superhero movie and Jackman had to volunteer a pay cut to get them to agree.

And then Logan did really loving well too. I would be really shocked if they're not starting to get the hint.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I imagine the message they're taking away is "Cussin and Titties are getting people in seats". Rather than strong creative visions, that are given room to breath, produce interesting movies. And things audiences respond to is something that is both entertaining as well as something new.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

To be fair, audiences also respond to titties.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hmm, they don't quite look psychotic enough. They need to go full Getter.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I imagine the message they're taking away is "Cussin and Titties are getting people in seats".

This is entirely the lesson, though. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we're entering an era where studios tell some PG13 movies to add a few more swearing/boobs to bump the rating up. Not all (or most), obviously, but a certain percentage.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They tried that with Snakes on a Plane and it didn't work out very well, but maybe that's just because it was a really stupid movie.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They tried that with Snakes on a Plane and it didn't work out very well, but maybe that's just because it was a really stupid movie.

True, but SOAP was released ten years before the notion of a broadly successful R Movie would even be considered, with Deadpool doing gangbusters and surprising everyone*. Plus, I think SOAP also an experiment into finding if the weirder parts of the internet could support a film (it couldn't).

* Somewhat off-topic, but I've always felt a significant chunk of Deadpool's success was due in part to there being no competition for a while after its release. Can't be arsed to look up the details, but I know I saw Deadpool more than I otherwise would've (and I loved Deadpool), just because there were no alternatives to see.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MisterBibs posted:

True, but SOAP was released ten years before the notion of a broadly successful R Movie would even be considered, with Deadpool doing gangbusters and surprising everyone*. Plus, I think SOAP also an experiment into finding if the weirder parts of the internet could support a film (it couldn't).

* Somewhat off-topic, but I've always felt a significant chunk of Deadpool's success was due in part to there being no competition for a while after its release. Can't be arsed to look up the details, but I know I saw Deadpool more than I otherwise would've (and I loved Deadpool), just because there were no alternatives to see.

It came out mid February, which tends to be a deadzone, just a sequel to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H18RUB1cxfI

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This owns.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

This looks like a better Power Rangers movie than Power Rangers. It even has the colour-coded hero team with individual weapons.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Looks better than I feared it would.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Punkin Spunkin posted:

That is interesting, it'd be cool if the MCU hired more directors like Gore instead of like, Guy Directorman (well with the exception of like, taiki, and edgar wright before he ran away)

I would watch the gently caress out of Michael Bay's Gambit

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

precision posted:

I would watch the gently caress out of Michael Bay's Gambit

I suspect Michael Bay would never work with the MCU because he'd want more money than they would be willing to pay, and he'd want more control over the final picture than they'd be willing to give.

Fox wouldn't hire him just for the money reasons, they'd likely let him do whatever the hell he wanted as long as it was PG-13.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Bay took less money to make Pain and Gain

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Bay took less money to make Pain and Gain

That was a personal passion project. I guess if he was absolutely in love with a character he might.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

That was a personal passion project. I guess if he was absolutely in love with a character he might.

"Fine, I'll make your loving Iron Man movie, but I get full creative control on Stilt-Man: Origins."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

"Fine, I'll make your loving Iron Man movie, but I get full creative control on Stilt-Man: Origins."

I'd watch both of those movies. Though I suspect Michael Bay can mostly do whatever the hell he wants in the Transformers movies too. "You must have King Arthur and Winston Churchill in the next film," doesn't sound like a studio edict.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

That lovely movie was a passion project for him?!?

:lol:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'm glad that there appears to be more robot fights. I'm disappointed that they move like Iron Man suits instead of big lumbering machines.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Super Fan posted:

That lovely movie was a passion project for him?!?

:lol:

I thought that Pain and Gain was pretty good for what it was, a Michael Bay version of Burn After Reading.

I mean you can't watch the first 15 minutes of that and not think that it was intentional self-parody.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Pain and Gain is even better post-Trump.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

My favorite thing about Pain & Gain is the words "this is still a true story" popping on screen about half a minute after you asked yourself "wait, this actually happened? :stare:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Pain & Gain is a legit good movie.

• Locked thread