Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Chip Kelly to Rutgers please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
An arrogant guy like that might still slum it at a UCLA or Florida, where recruiting mostly sorts itself out. But if he stays out long enough, he'll risk being the next Gruden (minus the cushy media gig).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dilber posted:

Chip Kelly to Rutgers please.

gently caress you

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

[quote="“General Dog”" post="“477079615”"]
Chip Kelly at LSU would be kind of cool.
[/quote]

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
With how impressively terrible their QB stable is, I sincerely want Tennessee to hire Gruden and watch Dormady try to learn his loving 250 page playbook considering he's completing 55% with a 1:1 TD INT ratio in a piss-easy spread offense where he can't even get over 200 yards a game and is putting up 6.75 YPA. Just, yeah, let that guy run spider y banana and call protections. Sure.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Are there even people who still sincerely want Gruden to coach their college team and think it's a thing that could happen? I wouldn't even hire him for a NFL coaching job at this point, not that I think he has any desire to do it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Gruden keeps coming up for the UT job because he was a grad assistant or something a million years ago at UT.

To answer your question, I like to joke about it but no, I don't want him

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Gruden coming back wouldn't be quite as extreme as Joe Gibbs coming back to the Redskins, but not far off. The game had really passed Gibbs by, and Gruden is so far out of it at this point. It would be even worse at the college level than NFL because the NFL is so conservative by comparison. Then again, this is the SEC we are talking about.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fine but what is even the drive to have him as a coach anymore? Forgetting the length of time it's been since he was a coach he still wasn't THAT great of a coach at the end of his career. He couldn't coach up young guys and was obsessed with bringing in old as hell retreads. What about that makes anyone think he'd be a good college coach?

Yeah he won a SB but it's arguable that he did it with Dungy players because once he started bringing in his guys the team tanked.

Bucs offensive rankings:

2003: 10th
2004: 22nd
2005: 23rd
2006: 29th
2007: 18th
2008: 14th

He's supposed to be an offensive genius but 10th was the best he did which was the Super Bowl year.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 5, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Gruden was notorious for an insanely complex playbook and hating playing young players

Guess where the college game is now

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Is Tennessee at the point where they are only going to bring in a Tennessee Man to Right the Ship?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Komet posted:

Is Tennessee at the point where they are only going to bring in a Tennessee Man to Right the Ship?

bring back Jim Bob imo

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

bring back Jim Bob imo

I have read a few people say that without a hint of irony.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Phil Fulmer's revenge

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Give Charlie Strong another try

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

I could see doing it as an assistant coach or something like that but lol at making him a head coach.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Phil Fulmer's revenge

Oh just you wait this team makes a bowl and they can Butch you can bet your fuckin mortgage that Fulmer will be the interim coach for the bowl just like Alvarez did at Wiscy. They didn't bring him back as an advisor and him not take that chance if it's there.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Gruden was notorious for an insanely complex playbook and hating playing young players

Guess where the college game is now

Just run variations of the same 5 plays like Mike Leach or Greg Davis

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KKKLIP ART posted:

He's really good! That's also the rare NFL offense that might translate relatively well. I think he's probably gonna get an NFL head coaching job relatively soon though.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

MourningView posted:

He's really good! That's also the rare NFL offense that might translate relatively well. I think he's probably gonna get an NFL head coaching job relatively soon though.

If the Lions win a playoff game he's all but guaranteed.

Yes that's a loving mountain of an "if" but still.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

General Dog posted:

Give Charlie Strong another try

Tennessee is not an upgrade from USF at this point

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean if you're looking at records alone, sure.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I'm more than willing to hop on chip kelly's wild ride

Anything to get rid of lying lyle, hell throw the kitchen sink at Venables or whatever

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Komet posted:

Tee Martin come on down.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Wait, I'm sorry Jim Bob Cooter is an NFL coordinator?

How the gently caress didn't I know this?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

Wait, I'm sorry Jim Bob Cooter is an NFL coordinator?

How the gently caress didn't I know this?

And a pretty good one too! (Detroit)

Did you know Derek Dooley is a coordinator in the NFL too??

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

vyst posted:

Tennessee is not an upgrade from USF at this point

I'd argue this about UCF and Nebraska except for Nebraska having :10bux: while a third of UCF's athletic budget comes from student fees

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Joey Freshwater posted:

And a pretty good one too! (Detroit)

Did you know Derek Dooley is a coordinator in the NFL too??

I thought Dooley was like a WR coach or something, not really as impressive.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

nate fisher posted:

Tee Martin come on down.

He's a good recruiter but his offense has been rear end this year.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I thought Dooley was like a WR coach or something, not really as impressive.

Yeah he's the Cowboys WRs coach. Has been for awhile too. They do pretty well with undraft or lowly drafted WRs so I think he found his level

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Godzilla07 posted:

I'd argue this about UCF and Nebraska except for Nebraska having :10bux: while a third of UCF's athletic budget comes from student fees

UCF is also huge with like 65,000 students.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

At Georgia Southern, the jobs of head coach Tyson Summers and AD Tom Kleinlein are really heating up.

The team is horrible at 0-4 and is getting shithoused regularly. Going into last night's game, their offense was 128th out of 130 teams in offensive yards.

Add in that the program has a lawsuit hanging over its head from last year's offensive co-coordinators and I'm betting that both are gone at the end of the season, barring a miracle.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

At Georgia Southern, the jobs of head coach Tyson Summers and AD Tom Kleinlein are really heating up.

The team is horrible at 0-4 and is getting shithoused regularly. Going into last night's game, their offense was 128th out of 130 teams in offensive yards.

Add in that the program has a lawsuit hanging over its head from last year's offensive co-coordinators and I'm betting that both are gone at the end of the season, barring a miracle.

Ivin Jasper Ivin Jasper Ivin Jasper Ivin Jasper Ivin Jasper Ivin Jasper

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Bucs offensive rankings:

2003: 10th
2004: 22nd
2005: 23rd
2006: 29th
2007: 18th
2008: 14th

He's supposed to be an offensive genius but 10th was the best he did which was the Super Bowl year.

I feel like only including the Bucs years is perhaps a little disingenuous but I'm not sure, so let's check.

1998: 22nd in points, 18th in Yards (this is with a combination of Jeff George, Wade Wilson and something called Donald Hollis at QB)
1999: 8th scoring, 5th yards (Gannon arrived)
2000: 3rd scoring, 6th yards
2001: 4th points, 7th yards

Also you're wrong, he was decidedly worse than 10th in his super bowl year
2002 (TB): 18th scoring, 24th yards

I think he partially lucked into a historically middling veteran in Gannon and everything just clicked for both of them and partially just didn't have the other pieces he needed in Tampa. Aging but still effective Jerry Rices and Tim Browns are pretty decent pieces, and better ones for his offense than an aging Alstott.

I'd definitely call him overrated, but he did a legit good thing in Oakland. I guess we could also note that the year Gruden left Oakland finished first in scoring and second in yards, but....uh....it's pretty obvious Callahan didn't change anything.

MourningView posted:

Are there even people who still sincerely want Gruden to coach their college team and think it's a thing that could happen? I wouldn't even hire him for a NFL coaching job at this point, not that I think he has any desire to do it.

He had some quote in June or something that he's "Preparing for his next coaching job every day." Oh here it is, but yeah he sounds like he's not interested in college.

USA Today posted:

“I am — every year — preparing myself to coach,” Gruden told PewterReport.com. “Sometimes I show up at (a training) camp, and I show up in the offseason, and people let me coach. I jump in drills and they still let me install plays and call plays at some places. I still have a lot of fun.

"I haven’t lost the itch, though. I miss the players. I won’t deny that. I don’t want to start anything, but I say the same thing to everybody. There are very few passions in my life. The man upstairs, family and football.”

Gruden said he’s had opportunities to return, but he’s just holding out for the perfect fit. However, he ruled out coaching in college, joking: “I would probably have you on probation within four or five weeks,” because of all the recruiting and NCAA rule challenges.

“Just about every year I talk about coming back to coach. I’m not here every day at 4:30 or 4 in the morning watching pinball, you know? I’m preparing myself to come back. I am. Every day. I’m preparing to come back.”

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd rather have Gruden being totally insane on commentary.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Can we get Bob Stitt to UTEP? I mean, why the hell not?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

Can we get Bob Stitt to UTEP? I mean, why the hell not?

They might wind up being good this year eventually because the losses are both to good teams but right now he's like barely .500 at Montana the last two years. And Montana is a really good FCS program so it's not like Mines where any success at all was amazing

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 6, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MourningView posted:

They might wind up being good this year eventually because the losses are both to good teams but right now he's like barely .500 at Montana the last two years. And Montana is a really good FCS program so it's not like Mines where any success at all was amazing

Yeah, but UTEP is so bad and such a tough recruiting environment that they might as well do something novel if they're not going to be good. Plus- Miners, Orediggers, maybe there's a spark there.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Ole Miss: Athletic director Ross Bjork shared with The Clarion-Ledger that he is not a candidate, and is not interested, in the vacant AD position at Nebraska.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Ole Miss: Athletic director Ross Bjork shared with The Clarion-Ledger that he is not a candidate, and is not interested, in the vacant AD position at Nebraska. 

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I will accept the Nebraska AD position if offered.

• Locked thread