Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Bicyclops posted:

Jeff Sessions is truly the darkest of elves and I wish that back when Trump was mad at him that he'd been ousted.
What's mind boggling to me is just how utterly driven by hate Sessions is to have endured Trump's bullshit. Trump laid into him something fierce after the Russia recusal/Mueller appointment, and little Jeffy would've quit that day bah Gawd if it didn't mean he he'd have to give up his lifelong dream of using the DOJ to grind non-whites, LGBT and women under a government boot.

Trump is just an ugly little animal driven by spite and avarice, but Sessions I find far more repulsive given that he'd walk through fire just to gently caress over a single person who fails the paper bag test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

I'm not so sure about it just being because Obama policy. It could just be someone putting a prewritten thing in Trump's face and saying we want. Or Trump has GOP views on women too because gently caress he's Trump. The GOP would repeal women's suffrage if they could I reckon.

I just picture him in a room with Sessions being briefed on this kind of having his interest wane and lulling off to sleep and replying with just "uh huh...uh huh....yeah...." and then hearing Obama's name and snapping too attention beat red in the face with manchild anger. "WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS RIGHT NOW JEFF!"

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Watching Ch4 News (UK) and they have Billy Corgan on talking about the existential threat of FAKE NEWS.

He's runnnnnnning

is billy corgan a white nationalist? it seems on brand for him

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
And yet Sessions refuses to fire Muhler. I wonder if he's hoping to work for a President Price.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Everyone feel free to ignore the following post.

OK, correct me if I'm wrong here, but "gendered" means a gender has been assigned, signalling exclusivity (maybe exclusivity is the key point here). When we gender something, we (abstractly) assign a specific gender to it and it becomes gendered. A particular job field can be gendered because it's stereotyped to only be staffed by men or women.

When talking about civil rights, maybe it would help to pull out "civil." Gendered rights would be those that are assigned only to one gender, like voting was before women's suffrage. Gender rights would be rights for all genders, like the fight for universal suffrage was hoping to achieve.

That's a good point. I'm not a linguist, so heres me spitballing. English is weird and while gender is a noun, transgender is not. Transgender, transgendered, and gendered are all adjectives. I think it is because there aren't classifications of transgender people like there classically are with genders, so there isn't a correlating phrase to "My gender is male" with transgender. So I think "transgender rights" would be saying that the rights don't identify with their birth gender, which is nonsensical, but "transgendered rights" means that the rights have to do with transgender people specifically.

I think the "equality" example is still covered by "gender rights," since transgender people do pick a gender, so they aren't exclusive.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If this was President Pence or Cruz or whoever then "religious freedom" would not only be something Sessions is doing "quietly" but would be something they'd be yelling from the rooftops. That's they're thing and there's tons of "Never Trumps" in my life who love this.

It just seems silly to assign everything the government does to Trump's petty actions. Sessions is hard at work pushing HIS agenda in the DOJ and the religious right has been pushing for stuff like this since before Trump. In the short and long term Sessions may well be the biggest villain in this story. Maybe "you can stick it to Obama" factored in somewhere to getting Trump on board but Trump isn't even especially involved in this story. He probably barely knows what's going on. He's too busy mocking Puerto Ricans and teasing nuclear annihilation and getting to the bottom of whether someone called him a mean name.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Mustached Demon posted:

The GOP would repeal women's suffrage if they could I reckon.

There's no doubt. Having been around a lot of hardline, pentecostal evangelical Christians, this is absolutely their opinion. They claim that because the man is the head of the household, allowing women to vote is redundant because she should have the same opinion as their husbands. The only reason they do it is because they see it as a necessary evil or exploitation of the system.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

the talent deficit posted:

He's been on Infowars before I think

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

yeah he's been a conspiracy weirdo for years now and nobody really cares since he stopped mattering in the 90's

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-the-smashing-pumpkins-billy-corgan-became-an-sjw-hating-conservative-crusader

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

That is what people are lookibg for re: Complex

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/916348496864862209

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
It's Friday, has anyone been fired yet? I only tune in for the end of the show.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

TremorX posted:

There's no doubt. Having been around a lot of hardline, pentecostal evangelical Christians, this is absolutely their opinion. They claim that because the man is the head of the household, allowing women to vote is redundant because she should have the same opinion as their husbands. The only reason they do it is because they see it as a necessary evil or exploitation of the system.

It's been a long standing Freep opinion that a woman votes in the bedroom.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

And yet Sessions refuses to fire Muhler. I wonder if he's hoping to work for a President Price.
Sessions recused himself from the Mueller thing, so at this point either the Deputy AG would have to do it or whatever person they can find below him who will not refuse to do it

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Is this worth the read, because it has some heft to it. I'm still blown away that buzzfeed is doing actual journalism.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sessions recused himself from the Mueller thing, so at this point either the Deputy AG would have to do it or whatever person they can find below him who will not refuse to do it

Sessions probably did that to keep nose clean.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Mustached Demon posted:

It's been a long standing Freep opinion that a woman votes in the bedroom.

I would be absolutely shocked if Freep regulars didn't fill out their wive's mail-in ballots for them and leer over their shoulders to make sure they didn't try to change anything while she signs.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Is this worth the read, because it has some heft to it. I'm still blown away that buzzfeed is doing actual journalism.

Yes. It's very good

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He legally can't, since he recused himself from all things russia related.

Additionally, he likely has wind of what the Senate would do of Mueller were fired.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Aeka 2.0 posted:

It is extremely worth the read.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

They rolled back Birth Control, the DOJ rolled back Obama era Trans protections, and then the DOJ released a vague memo about 'Protecting Religious Freedom' which practically nullifies any protections for gays or trans Government employees

Remember the rule, for every new regulation you have to get rid of 2.

How much do you want to bet birth control and transgender protections count as 2 regulations so now here comes a new regulation protecting religious freedoms!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Aeka 2.0 posted:

It's pretty funny/terrifying and confirms a lot of things that people already suspected.

Buzzfeed has actually done some very good original journalism recently. They hired a bunch of veteran political reporters in 2014 and they put out 3 or 4 really good original investigative pieces a year. It just feels like they never do because it only happens once every 3 or 4 months and "lol Buzzfeed."

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

He's been part owners of a company with neo-nazis does this count

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FizFashizzle posted:

He legally can't, since he recused himself from all things russia related.

Additionally, he likely has wind of what the Senate would do of Mueller were fired.

A recusal isn't a legally binding thing. He could do it today, if he wanted.

It would just be very obvious and set off a firestorm because he would have to sign off on it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I wonder if he went to get an ENCHILADA afterwards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWMp_z7Jnxw

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

that buzzfeed story is really good and has some great original reporting, but the broad strokes have been known forever. you used to be able to download logs from the milo slack where his unpaid interns did all his work for him

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's pretty funny/terrifying and confirms a lot of things that people already suspected.

Buzzfeed has actually done some very good original journalism recently. They hired a bunch of veteran political reporters in 2014 and they put out 3 or 4 really good original investigative pieces a year. It just feels like they never do because it only happens once every 3 or 4 months and "lol Buzzfeed."

Thanks. Man yeah I tell people this and they do go "lul."
I emailed it to myself for when I get home.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/916383341900959748
Resignation confirmed, who's is gonna be?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Billy Corgan is also recognized as a loan shark in the state of Tennessee.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Fame kind of broke his brain or so I've heard. Doesn't he also own a wrestling promotion now?

There was a goon in the music subforum Smashing Pumpkins thread who use to be a Smashing Pumpkins roadie or something like 3-4 years back that talked about Billy being a gold hoarder and IIRC Billy found the post and made him delete it due to said goon signing a NDA about his employment or some such. It happened a while ago and I'm not sure if it requires archives or not.

Edit: Billy Corgan use to own a wrestling promotion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistance_Pro_Wrestling

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 6, 2017

SuperMarrio
Mar 26, 2005

Those who live by capitalism must be prepared to die by it.

It really feels like they're really trying to tear it all down.

I remember a time, around Halloween of last year when I stumbled on the Frontline Documentary about both trump and Clinton. I was already anti-trump as hell and in the camp of "lol not gonna happen". The Frontline Doc was okay, but I specifically remember being genuinely afraid of what a trump Presidency really meant- especially after seeing this bit with Omarossa talking about "trumps revenge" (specifically around the 4:47 mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htt91G2qDwM

Out of all the online noise, all the ads, all the nonsense, this is the clip that has stuck with me.

All the white supremacist bullshit, all the rolling-back of progressive policies, the affirmation of religion-based discrimination, voter fraud bullshit, fake news promotions, the absolute othering of non-white, non-cis, non-hateful people. All the absolute bullshit that this administration does and continues to do is because a thin skinned Millionaire couldn't stand for a black man in power roasting his tv personality and making him feel bad for a few minutes.

Or more realistically, he (and richie richers like him) hate that a black man was given the keys to the white house in the first place.

And here we are. Its all true, and Omarossa was right. I didn't believe it at the time and some pert of me still doesn't, but here we are.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

I think that the reason they've been so specific about saying that the Russian hacks of election departments not changing the vote tallies is that they instead hacked the registered voters database, removing likely democrat voters from the rolls so they'd get turned away in battleground states.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Words of a strongman
https://twitter.com/AshleyRParker/status/916381291855122432

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DeathSandwich posted:

Fame kind of broke his brain or so I've heard. Doesn't he also own a wrestling promotion now?

There was a goon in the music subforum Smashing Pumpkins thread who use to be a Smashing Pumpkins roadie or something like 3-4 years back that joked about Billy being a gold hoarder and IIRC Billy found the post and made him delete it due to said goon signing a NDA about his employment or some such. It happened a while ago and I'm not sure if it requires archives or not.

He owned one, sold it, tried to buy another but got beat out in court by nazis and a trust fund idiot, and then bought the rights to the NWA which isn't really a promotion. (It was a promoters alliance, but no one is in it anymore and it doesn't have an actual promotion)

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Did any other republican president in history staff cabinets with horrible people the way Trump did?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I agree, but surprisingly he seemed pretty ideologically correct at this particular moment. And no mention of like, crystal healing or anything

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Nah, the lawn needs mowed.

(that specific Pittsburghese really bothers me, especially because if they modified it to "needs mowing" rather than just dropping "to be" it would sound okay if archaic or passive)
This is also a Michigan thing and also drives my husband nuts. I just tell him at least I don't say warshed.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Did any other republican president in history staff cabinets with horrible people the way Trump did?

Yeah. Rumsfeld was basically a Bannon-like figure in the Nixon administration and also served in the Ford administration. They've been appointing a whole lot of creeps to high positions for a long time

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Yeah. Rumsfeld was basically a Bannon-like figure in the Nixon administration and also served in the Ford administration. They've been appointing a whole lot of creeps to high positions for a long time
I feel like no other cabinet was filled with crony capitalists though.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Just every single Republican since Nixon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DeathSandwich posted:

There was a goon in the music subforum Smashing Pumpkins thread who use to be a Smashing Pumpkins roadie or something like 3-4 years back that talked about Billy being a gold hoarder and IIRC Billy found the post and made him delete it due to said goon signing a NDA about his employment or some such. It happened a while ago and I'm not sure if it requires archives or not.

Edit: Billy Corgan use to own a wrestling promotion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistance_Pro_Wrestling

He still does, just a different one. He founded that little one and owned it for years, then he bought part ownership in TNA/GFW/Impact which is ostensibly the #2 or 3 or something in the US but that place is a mess, and now he owns the NWA which was THE center of wrestling for a long time but has been pretty deadish the last 30 or 40 years.

Wrestling is a welcoming business for crazy rear end people with bad ideas and treatment of people who are bad with their money. And the lady on top of it is in Trump's cabinet.

• Locked thread