Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/916317209017937920
Uhhhhh? Why is Marvel partnering up with a military contractor?

I think this is the deal breaker for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
What in the world could Marvel possibly be doing with a military contractor?

Did they decide to actually get a piece of all those Punisher logos that show up on military and law enforcement people's gear?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

lmao as tone deaf as DC has been over the years, they've never done anything this colossally stupid.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

achillesforever6 posted:

Sickening.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Blockhouse posted:

I think this is the deal breaker for me.

Same. Bye, Felicia.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh, it's a missile. Have always wondered.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Guys, it's not that bad. NG is just sponsoring a teen superhero team https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10/06/avengers-northrop-grumman-comic/

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

it's an all ages promo comic starring a team of Official Northrop Grumman Superheroes

gently caress everything

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

Garth Ennis was right

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Blockhouse posted:

it's an all ages promo comic starring a team of Official Northrop Grumman Superheroes

gently caress everything

Fabian, why? :smith:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
jesus I was just kidding about the avengers team up guys

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Gonna ask my shop to order none of those. Not just for myself, but to get no copies for no one.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Arkhams Razor posted:

Garth Ennis was right

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dang.

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 6, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If anybody wants to read a dumb personal reaction to this thing, I made a twitter thread about it.

https://twitter.com/tweeterisawful/status/916384183500582914

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Like it's not even loving trying to hide what it's about! It's not going "Hey kids we make a bunch of cool trucks for the postal service" or something it's stopping just short of "WE MAKE WEAPONS THAT KILL PEOPLE"

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

Like it's not even loving trying to hide what it's about! It's not going "Hey kids we make a bunch of cool trucks for the postal service" or something it's stopping just short of "WE MAKE WEAPONS THAT KILL PEOPLE"

This is obviously an incredibly hosed up situation, but it is very funny just how transparently evil this is.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

That's just terrible. Cancelled my marvel unlimited subscription for all it's worth. How hosed up

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

As much as I get the nostalgic feelys about having a Stan Lee video, it really rings overtly cold and calculated to have him say this. And yet you essentially have Marvel regressing to what people, mainly men, in the 70's and 80's supposedly want with their Marvel characters. Don't get me wrong Jason Aaron and Ribic have done awesome stories, and a pre history Avengers with a non rear end in a top hat Odin making out with a Phoenix, is really cool poo poo, but this just feels like a massive step back. I think the AV Club review on it said it best with their last paragraph.

The AV Club posted:

The creative team of Marvel Legacy gives you an idea of how inclusive Marvel is behind the scenes. One writer, 13 pencillers, two inkers, one colorist, one letterer. All male, and nearly all white. A grand total of three women worked on this book, with Rachel Dodson and Amy Reeder on variant covers and Alanna Smith serving as assistant editor. It’s hard for Marvel to be a reflection of the world outside its pages when it still entrusts most of its books to white male creators, and that doesn’t seem likely to change as it regresses back to an era that was even less inclusive.

https://www.avclub.com/marvel-regresses-as-it-tries-to-move-forward-with-marve-1819189755

:smith:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hey you know what was a good paid promotion comic? When Batman had to team up with Canadian children to stop the Joker from taking over Canada and they all went to shop at a Zellers

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

To everyone who isn't Marvel's credit, I've yet to see anyone on Reddit, GAF, or BC actually think this is a good idea.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wow. I do not know how you could be any more loving tone deaf than that comic. What the gently caress Marvel.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Update: sorry keep being shocked at how multinational corporations work guys

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 6, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shut the gently caress up. For once.

How much is Marvel loving paying you to consistently white knight for them on this dead comedy forum?

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 6, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's not the worst comic book team up ever

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
E&C's right, though. The true enemy as usual is capitalism.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Keep being shocked that people think this is too far even for a multinational corporation. For someone who likes to jump on people you're super incapable of actually understanding things yourself.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Not seeing why Pretty lovely Thing #489 by Pretty lovely Corporation #723 is literally the worst thing ever done worth a page of performative shirt-rending is "white knighting" now, got it.

I mean, I'm going to full on admit that I do not get it? I get the idea of being upset at this, it's pretty lovely. I would never claim it is not lovely.

Why is it exceptionally lovely? Or is this too raw and early to talk about a political topic so soon after the tragedy of this lovely industrial comic being announced to discuss such matters?

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 6, 2017

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Edge & Christian posted:

Go gently caress yourself

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Edge & Christian posted:

You are the perfect example of the people comic books are made for.

And it's disgusting.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm pretty close to just dropping my Marvel pulls.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm pretty ignorant to most of Marvel's history, so instead of just flaming you EiC, I'll take the bait: has Marvel actually done anything as insidious as pushing pro-MIC messages in their children's comic books before? I'm assuming they got up to all sorts of trouble post 9-11, but in fairness so did basically everyone else in your country except for the Dixie Chicks and Janeane Garofalo.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Skwirl posted:

It's not the worst comic book team up ever

:laffo:

Edge & Christian posted:

I mean, I'm going to full on admit that I do not get it? I get the idea of being upset at this, it's pretty lovely. I would never claim it is not lovely.

Why is it exceptionally lovely?

You are a loving moron.

"I just don't understand why anyone cares that someone did a thing I acknowledge was bad to do"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

Shut the gently caress up. For once.

How much is Marvel loving paying you to consistently white knight for them on this dead comedy forum?

Maybe he's just tired of this thread being nothing but making GBS threads on Marvel without much discussing of the actual comic books they're putting out. Hopefully everyone who is indeed saying this is the final straw will now stop posting about all this so we can talk about comic books. Seems like this subforum barely even discusses what happens in comic books more now and instead just complains about the direction companies go into.

Maybe just a separate thread for business practices is needed or something, because I'm having trouble remembering when we actually discussed comics and storylines instead of just talking about how much Marvel sucks with Nazis and people getting mad for replacing white characters with minorities, then getting mad when the older characters come back and then Marvel isn't diverse enough.

Anyway, Hawkeye this week was really good and I'm glad to hear Kelly Thompson is getting another book. I'm also excited for when Clint eventually shows up to meet up with Kate and see how she's settling in.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Edge & Christian posted:

Not seeing why Pretty lovely Thing #489 by Pretty lovely Corporation #723 is literally the worst thing ever done worth a page of performative shirt-rending is "white knighting" now, got it.

Why is it exceptionally lovely? Or is this too raw and early to talk about a political topic so soon after the tragedy of this lovely industrial comic being announced to discuss such matters?

Hmm weird it's almost like there's been some big political upheaval in the last year or so that's made people way less tolerant of this kind of thing coupled with Marvel's own past year of boneheaded insensitive moves and some kind of national tragedy that just happened that has weapons and gun control on everyone's mind

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Roth posted:

I'm pretty close to just dropping my Marvel pulls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQRW0RM4V0k

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Okay I was clearly overly flippant and I did not explain my actual question/confusion here so I'll try it one more time and I am asking this without trying to be a smug piece of poo poo gun rear end in a top hat fuckstick white knight piece of poo poo moron or whatever, but if that's the extent of this then fine.

1) Marvel is doing a custom industrial giveaway comic for a military contractor. They are accepting money to produce/co-sign propaganda for a military contractor.
2) Marvel has (for at least a decade) done custom industrial giveaway comics for the actual United States Military.

I am asking this sincerely, why do people think that one is exceptionally grosser than the other? Is it that they're making a big deal (inasmuch as they tweeted about it and did a panel?) that is making this extra bad? Were people not aware of the previous industrial comics? Like Blockhouse said, it's a lovely partnership but it feels incredibly non-unique to me and either you've made your peace with lovely capitalism and will continue to consume Marvel/DC/Disney/Warner/Fox properties with open eyes or you've checked out a long time ago.

I am genuinely not sure why this is the breaking point, and all of the responses being first gently caress THIS and later gently caress YOU didn't shed much light on this.

UPDATE: Okay I'll accept "because Trump and existential anxiety" and drop this line of questioning

ADDITIONAL UPDATE: I am super cool with discussion about behind-the-scenes stuff or whatever has to do with Marvel Comics in the thread and if anyone would like me to close the thread so someone can start a new thread without a piece of poo poo moron fuckface that is everything wrong with comic books as not the OP I am also super cool with that. Not that I have any more say as to what sort of posting should be done anywhere but maybe it would be better if a non generally-loathed person had the thread? Plus it's old.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 6, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DC and KFC is good, though. Right?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't think I could ever fully drop Marvel entirely. I do want to support the good books they put out, especially the ones by diverse creators/creators who encourage diversity in their comics.

Codependent Poster posted:

Maybe he's just tired of this thread being nothing but making GBS threads on Marvel without much discussing of the actual comic books they're putting out.

I'm usually on the side of finding the constant complaining about things like Marvel wanting people to like their characters or whatever to be rather annoying, but this is an actual comic book the company is putting out?

I haven't gotten the chance to read this week's comics, but just last page I saw a bunch of people praising the new Guardians of the Galaxy issue and how great Duggan's run has been, so I'm not really sure what the standard for talking about comic books here is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

DC and KFC is good, though. Right?

Both those things rule, yes.

• Locked thread