Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
also, lol at the notion that ppl didn't want to spend money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

haha, wow.

I quit playing because I couldn't progress in difficulty because the items were terrible. The only way for me to go any further was to buy items on the AH using gold because I sure as poo poo wasn't spending real cash on it. Even then the gains were so small and incremental I got sick of it.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Looks like I was right on the end time, but they're waiting for post-Blizzcon to kick off the next Season. One more month to go!

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/21097429/season-11-ending-soon-10-6-2017

Season 11 will be ending on the following dates and times:

North America: Friday, October 20 @ 5:00 p.m. PDT
Europe: Friday, October 20 @ 5:00 p.m. CEST
Asia: Friday, October 20 @ 5:00 p.m. KST

Season 12 will begin about four weeks afterward on the dates below:

North America: Thursday, November 9 @ 5:00 p.m. PDT
Europe: Thursday, November 9 @ 5:00 p.m. CEST
Asia: Thursday, November 9 @ 5:00 p.m. KST

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Toshimo posted:

Blizzard has made a conscious and idiotic decision not to monetize D3. No wonder it makes zero dollars. Come on, man. You know better.

I had fun fleecing idiots at the end of the auction house's life, but I don't miss it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thursday again?! gently caress you blizz

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I wonder how the RMAH would have gone over if we had smart loot and post-RoS itemization and Torment difficulties and Adventure Mode from day 1 rather than Inferno i61-3 Act gating bullshit.

Like, with the original lower droprate on legendaries, sure. But if the loot system hadn't fundamentally sucked so badly.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I wonder how the RMAH would have gone over if we had smart loot and post-RoS itemization and Torment difficulties and Adventure Mode from day 1 rather than Inferno i61-3 Act gating bullshit.

Like, with the original lower droprate on legendaries, sure. But if the loot system hadn't fundamentally sucked so badly.

Yah. Even if you make the argument that RMAH was a problem, it wouldn't have cracked the Top 10 list of problems with launch D3.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The real money auction house was absolutely 100% one of the most fundamentally bad things with Diablo 3 and a lot of people (including me) were astonished when they got rid of it because it seemed to be one of those problems with games that were too integrated to be even close to fixable.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Probably not a huge issue. I remember buying decently rolled useful legendaries for a few million like a Skorn or dual socket (remember those?) Manticore. I had characters in Act 3 Inferno and capable of doing the Hellfire Ring stuff and their gear probably cost < $5 combined.

I'd imagine a full class set of non ancient gear being pretty cheap. Except maybe for trifecta gloves/jewelry.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Someone who used to work at paypal said in another thread that there was so much money laundering, charging back and using of stolen credit cards going on that paypal was about to end their partnership with blizzard. The removal of the rmah might have had nothing to do with improving the game.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

DrSeRRoD posted:

Looks like I was right on the end time, but they're waiting for post-Blizzcon to kick off the next Season. One more month to go!

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/21097429/season-11-ending-soon-10-6-2017

Season 11 will be ending on the following dates and times:

North America: Friday, October 20 @ 5:00 p.m. PDT
Europe: Friday, October 20 @ 5:00 p.m. CEST
Asia: Friday, October 20 @ 5:00 p.m. KST

Season 12 will begin about four weeks afterward on the dates below:

North America: Thursday, November 9 @ 5:00 p.m. PDT
Europe: Thursday, November 9 @ 5:00 p.m. CEST
Asia: Thursday, November 9 @ 5:00 p.m. KST
I've only owned D3 this season so this might be a dumb question:
That means we don't get to play any seasonal for 4 weeks, and just mess around on our converted-to-non-season chars?

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Zedd posted:

That means we don't get to play any seasonal for 4 weeks, and just mess around on our converted-to-non-season chars?

Yup. Everything will roll over to non-season, so you can play there, or take a Diablo break, until the new season begins.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zedd posted:

Correct. It is a good time to catch up on cheevos/set dungeons and to try other classes.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Suspicious posted:

Someone who used to work at paypal said in another thread that there was so much money laundering, charging back and using of stolen credit cards going on that paypal was about to end their partnership with blizzard. The removal of the rmah might have had nothing to do with improving the game.

This is correct. Anyone who tells you that the RMAH was a game design issue is full of poo poo.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
BTW, if you ever needed evidence that the game is so far into maintenance mode that Blizz forgets its even part of the company, Area Damage is still a Paragon category.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
RMAH was a failure on many fronts. Much better game without it and D4 will sell better because of that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Things that could have had a much greater effect on D4 sales:
  • D3 not being a complete shitshow at launch
  • Post-2.0 D3 not being virtually ignored for years.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Correct. It is a good time to catch up on cheevos/set dungeons and to try other classes.
If I want the chest tab I need to do that during the season right? Or does the quest progress become that characters non-season quest?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zedd posted:

If I want the chest tab I need to do that during the season right? Or does the quest progress become that characters non-season quest?

The stash tab is season-only. If you need help getting it done before the end of the season, ask in the goon channel in-game.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Toshimo posted:

The stash tab is season-only. If you need help getting it done before the end of the season, ask in the goon channel in-game.
Im in Europe but if there is a presence Ill do that, thanks.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Toshimo posted:

Is the community the LLJK group with ~3000 members? Or is it the small one named 'LLJK is for goons'?

mewse
May 2, 2006

twice burned ice posted:

Is the community the LLJK group with ~3000 members? Or is it the small one named 'LLJK is for goons'?

The first one but you could have just joined them both

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
[quote="“Toshimo”" post="“477124463”"]
BTW, if you ever needed evidence that the game is so far into maintenance mode that Blizz forgets its even part of the company, Area Damage is still a Paragon category.
[/quote]

Area Damage is a useful stat in many builds I really don't get your point...

But if you think Diablo 3 suffers because you get your own items now instead of selling your lovely ones to buy the best ones from Chinese farming//AH Baron companies then I doubt we really like the same things about the game at all.

I played from Launch for a while and then quit when I realized I would never ever be able to keep up without the auction house, and the removal of the AH and subsequent introduction of smart loot absolutely saved the game.

Like everyone who liked the AH usually follows it up with "I was botting on like 5 accounts, I made so much money!" and I'm always like "LoL that's what Diablo is to you, that sucks."

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

mewse posted:

The first one but you could have just joined them both

Oh, I didn't realize you could join more than one. I don't use the communities much.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bust Rodd posted:

Area Damage is a useful stat in many builds I really don't get your point...

Area damage is a broken mechanic that lags out the game above certain thresholds. If you are playing in a 4-man GR group, you have to roll it off all your gear and leave those 50 paragons unassigned (I hope you love that blinking plus icon).

They can't fix it because it's an engine issue and they don't have the manpower or budget to fix the engine. Taking it off gear is apparently a problem because they'd have to fix all the legacy gear and adjust a ton of affix tables or some bullshit.

But, paragons, that's a loving easy one. You just put a different state there, do some basic tests and move on. It's even easier because for some idiot poo poo reason, Area Damage is in Utility and Cooldown Reduction is in Offense. The easiest stat replacement is 0.1 Pickup Radius per paragon (caps at 5.0), which is pretty good for everyone, and is unlikely to be a balance issue since you can already get 73 yards of +pickup radius.

So, it's a low-hanging fruit that fixes a known problem that cannot otherwise be fixed and is game-breaking if you aren't aware of it and get hit by it (it's also absent from every "Known Bug" list because it's an engine failing that won't be fixed).

It's pretty much the poster child for "We could address this if we gave even a marginal gently caress about the game, but QED."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ummm, I might be crazy but isn't a big part of this incoming patch changing the way a lot of abilities work so the exact thing you just said won't happen anymore//happen way less?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bust Rodd posted:

Ummm, I might be crazy but isn't a big part of this incoming patch changing the way a lot of abilities work so the exact thing you just said won't happen anymore//happen way less?

No? Where did you see this, because the existing patch notes have nothing in them that addresses this in any way that I can see.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Toshimo posted:

No? Where did you see this, because the existing patch notes have nothing in them that addresses this in any way that I can see.
There are a couple mentions of this in the PTR notes. It's commented on in the changes to: Battle Rage/Bloodshed, Blessed Hammer/Limitless, and the Helltooth Harness 2pc. So it's not "a lot of things", but there're a few.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
So having been out of the picture for a while and suddenly getting the urge to play D3 again, along with doing some extra hours at work, I remembered I never bought the Necromancer. How's the state of the class at the moment?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Inverted Sphere posted:

So having been out of the picture for a while and suddenly getting the urge to play D3 again, along with doing some extra hours at work, I remembered I never bought the Necromancer. How's the state of the class at the moment?

Real loving good.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Real loving good.

I like the sound of that, did they buff/change it? I only heard about how it was at launch so I have no idea what changes they've made to the class since.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No they just released the Necromancer in such as state that they now have to make every class at least as good as them.

Which is why Patch 12 is psyching everyone up

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

No they just released the Necromancer in such as state that they now have to make every class at least as good as them.

Which is why Patch 12 is psyching everyone up

Seriously? It sounded like they were kind of underwhelming when they first came out, or at least the initial opinion on them seemed fairly lukewarm.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Nah, the Necromancer was super hot right out of the box. Inarius bonestorm shot up the leaderboards to start, (although that might have been due to a bug with Mirinae's?) and they're still incredibly solid today.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Toshimo posted:

The RMAH was fine and not actually a problem.

It incentivized the devs to base the abundance of usable items not on what is fun for players, but where supply and demand reach equilibrium, thus maximizing their real money value of which Blizzard takes a cut.

I would not have bought RoS if they hadn't announced ahead of time that the RMAH was going away and being replaced with Smart Loot.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Inverted Sphere posted:

Seriously? It sounded like they were kind of underwhelming when they first came out, or at least the initial opinion on them seemed fairly lukewarm.

Depends on what you were looking for. If you wanted a class that is competitive in the late game progression with multiple sets, yeah Necromancer was/is great. If you were looking for a port of the D2 necromancer, specifically the summon-mancer, you would be and will be disappointed. The summoning options for the necro are good in my opinion, just not the same as a D2 summon-mancer.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dross posted:

It incentivized the devs to base the abundance of usable items not on what is fun for players, but where supply and demand reach equilibrium, thus maximizing their real money value of which Blizzard takes a cut.

I would not have bought RoS if they hadn't announced ahead of time that the RMAH was going away and being replaced with Smart Loot.

The problem is that you are tying Smart Loot and the RMAH together. They weren't part of the same design decisions. The loot problems in 1.0 weren't related to the RMAH. They were related to all the other lovely design decisions.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013

Will Styles posted:

Depends on what you were looking for. If you wanted a class that is competitive in the late game progression with multiple sets, yeah Necromancer was/is great. If you were looking for a port of the D2 necromancer, specifically the summon-mancer, you would be and will be disappointed. The summoning options for the necro are good in my opinion, just not the same as a D2 summon-mancer.

As I recall they're a lot more active in their management and general operation/maintaining them, but are they still viable as something that can be relied upon as a method of gleefully slaughtering everything? I don't mind a more active playstyle, I just want the summons to at least be strong enough to matter or possibly be something that can be relied upon, even if they're more active in their use than the D2 style "Summon, sit back, twiddle thumbs as they carve a path through hell"

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Inverted Sphere posted:

As I recall they're a lot more active in their management and general operation/maintaining them, but are they still viable as something that can be relied upon as a method of gleefully slaughtering everything? I don't mind a more active playstyle, I just want the summons to at least be strong enough to matter or possibly be something that can be relied upon, even if they're more active in their use than the D2 style "Summon, sit back, twiddle thumbs as they carve a path through hell"

This is one of the more popular necro sets. The 6 set bonus gives a massive damage boost to your summons, as long as you do the work to maintain your horde of skeletal mages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What is the deal with mats not being auto pickup? Gems I can sort of understand because they take up inventory space, but not materials.