Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ferrinus posted:

This is insanely good.

It's so on the nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Electromax posted:

Since it's the greater Marvel company and not just the studio, gotta wonder if longtime Trump pal Ike Perlmutter was pulling some strings to make that happen.

I was wondering about this, he officially left earlier this year but there were a few things like the statement about how diversity is killing comics coming out of Marvel that definitely felt like Perlmutter's last stand.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Electromax posted:

Are they still disabled if their limbs have grown back?

Probably not, but I think that what they represent (the human wreckage of our reckless military adventurism coming back to haunt us) is pretty important. The fact that they have to be put down when they overcome their disability is frankly incredible.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

[quote="“Serf”" post="“477125817”"]
It was (mostly) okay back then, and its not okay now?
[/quote]

I mean, the situation was entirely different as Disney back then was a studio that had just suffered a massive loss of money from Fantasia, and the Army literally came in, occupied the studios and oversaw everything going on, while at the same time Walt watched as his lucrative foreign markets became walled off for who knew how long. He wasn't faced with much choice - the Army went to Disney because it was the biggest animation studio out there (and eventually the Army also went to Warner Bros. to produce even more propaganda anyway) and was in a condition where they'd have to go along with everything or else the studio would go under.

Nowadays, Disney isn't in any sort of financial strain. Their movies are usually three or four of the highest grossing movies of the year. They own, it feels like, a little bit of everything. They are in no need of money to keep themselves afloat. This is literally just a deal made to make the already ultra-rich on the board of directors even richer.

So it is a little different.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Lol

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
btw just want to remind everyone that I have a family member that works for Disney in a mid-level position and they treat her like absolute poo poo. They're making billions and treat their workers like serfs and skirt every law possible to get away with it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

btw just want to remind everyone that I have a family member that works for Disney in a mid-level position and they treat her like absolute poo poo. They're making billions and treat their workers like serfs and skirt every law possible to get away with it.

Extraterritoriality now extends to corporate personnel, especially regarding top executives, and corporate infrastructure, granting multinational corporations defacto sovereignty. Land owned by the corporation is not foreign soil but corporate soil, also exempt from domestic laws. Likewise, employees of the corporation are corporate citizens.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lurdiak posted:

Extraterritoriality now extends to corporate personnel, especially regarding top executives, and corporate infrastructure, granting multinational corporations defacto sovereignty. Land owned by the corporation is not foreign soil but corporate soil, also exempt from domestic laws. Likewise, employees of the corporation are corporate citizens.

Dystopian.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

We're not far off from Shadowrun being real.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Marvel vs Insurgents: Infinite

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Serf posted:

Yeah but instead of Jake Armitage and Dodger we have Julian Assange and Lowtax.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'm not sure this is morally worse than Mike Bay teaming up with the military for Transformers, although it certainly feels way scummier. I guess Northop could just walk away while the military is mostly kids trying to get scholarships and dumb rednecks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
In many ways, Shadowrun is too optimistic.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/916412846153576449

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
[quote="“Serf”" post="“477124760”"]
I still remember the cheers this got in the theater. Even back then it felt bad.
[/quote]

Its just like Punisher, they make villains be moustache-twirling evil to make the 'hero' palatable.

[quote="“Serf”" post="“477125536”"]
Disney made propaganda cartoons during World War 2, that’s not new.
[/quote]

We were fighting the nazis then. Now our gov is run by them

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The Stark/Northrup buildings image is so perfect.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

porfiria posted:

I'm not sure this is morally worse than Mike Bay teaming up with the military for Transformers, although it certainly feels way scummier. I guess Northop could just walk away while the military is mostly kids trying to get scholarships and dumb rednecks.

it's probably not morally worse, but at least that time we got transformers out of it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

it's probably not morally worse, but at least that time we got transformers out of it

Which makes it way worse than the current situation.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

I hate this scene so much. And I like the movie otherwise.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Somewhat related, the pseudo follow up to Watchmen DC's making is getting pretty drat surreal.

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/916430532988239873

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/916430786122928138

Here are the lettered pages

http://www.dccomics.com/reader/#/comics/433545

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

got any sevens posted:

Its just like Punisher, they make villains be moustache-twirling evil to make the 'hero' palatable.

We were fighting the nazis then. Now our gov is run by them

And one of them gets his name on and profits from every Batman film

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Serf posted:

Shadowrun had cheap fusion power and we're not even gonna have that. We're going to choke and burn ourselves to keep the lights on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Shadowrun had cheap fusion power and we're not even gonna have that. We're going to choke and burn ourselves to keep the lights on.

We'll probably get just as much ethnic cleansing, though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

josh04 posted:

The Stark/Northrup buildings image is so perfect.

It's excellent.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Still can't get over this great product synergy, huge win for the Avengers Initiative.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
can the digital copy of Valerian just be released already

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Somewhat related, the pseudo follow up to Watchmen DC's making is getting pretty drat surreal.

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/916430532988239873

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/916430786122928138

Here are the lettered pages

http://www.dccomics.com/reader/#/comics/433545

Geoff Johns, eh? No thanks.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New Runaways trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwgUGF_pqMk

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There was a flood of negative reactions against the Marvel/Northrop Grumman thing soooooooo
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/916522128811413504
Apparently they also pulled all mention of the Avengers/NGEN comic from the Marvel website.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

how did they think that wouldn't result in massive outrage?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why couldn't they have had that reaction when everyone was like "Hey don't make cap a Nazi"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That was, while deeply insulting and moronic, just a dumb comic book thing that affected nothing and the vast population of the planet would never actually know about

This was an honest to God attempt at pushing dangerous propaganda down kids throats dressed up in the most hosed up and hilariously corrupt ways possible that heavily used the movies for their basis to reach as wide an audience as possible.

I'm only shocked that they had the intelligence to realize "oh poo poo, NO ONE WANTS THIS ABORT" and even then, we'll see what happens with the actual partnership that is the real problem

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh and it turns out the the whole point of the Avengers/NGEN comic (which was available online until a few hours ago) was that readers had to pick out all the clues and figure out the hidden password and then enter that in a website to enter the sweepstakes and possibly win a trip to San Diego and an appearance in an upcoming issue of the comic. But to enter the sweepstakes you had to give Northrop Grumann all your personal contact info.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10/06/marvel-northrop-grumman-codebreakers/?utm_source=BC&utm_medium=related&utm_campaign=belowpost
(Apologies for the BC link)

Burkion posted:

This was an honest to God attempt at pushing dangerous propaganda down kids throats dressed up in the most hosed up and hilariously corrupt ways possible that heavily used the movies for their basis to reach as wide an audience as possible.
Propaganda and recruitment drive, with posters that told kids that working for NG was the closest they'd get to working for Tony Stark.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There was a flood of negative reactions against the Marvel/Northrop Grumman thing soooooooo
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/916522128811413504
Apparently they also pulled all mention of the Avengers/NGEN comic from the Marvel website.

They're still gonna put it out, they're just gonna be quiet about it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No, no, guys

Guys

The DC movies are the grim dark ones that are dour and evil and whatever

The Marvel brand is just being used to convince kids to join the loving military complex and think that's a totally sane and cool and great idea. YOU WANNA BE LIKE TONY STARK RIGHT KIDS? WELL HERE'S HOW!

I'm not even exaggerating that's literally the sales pitch what the actual gently caress how is this real life

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I thought we were supposed to honor the military or whatever. What are you, UNAMERICAN?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ha ha ha, Northrop Grumman have also scrubbed all mention of Marvel comics from their website, and the page listed on the posters is gone.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Isn't this also the company that sold defective aircrafts to the military?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

The MSJ posted:

Isn't this also the company that sold defective aircrafts to the military?

If that's true they may be secretly good.

• Locked thread