Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Elliotw2 posted:

The leveling experience for a lot of classes is really bad right now and hopefully going forward when they purge skills they make sure they don't make leveling classes a terrible slog.

Half the classes now feel like leveling Dragoon in ARR/HW where you only had 1 button to push for 15 levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Saint Freak posted:

Here's my napkin math for you to double check. I'm getting about 300 potency difference once a minute if you don't mess anything up but I could be wrong! But no it's not a loss every time as long as stab is up and you do your buttons correct

Although you're not that far off, there are a few things you missed here. For starters, you're not including the 1.2 modifier from the base trait. Secondly, you're assuming perfect procs during the cooling period, which will favor the side which has a higher modifier. Thirdly, you're not accounting for your reapplication of Hotshot which is always done towards the end of your cooling period precisely because it wouldn't get a bonus from being heated anyway and as your lowest potency shot will cause the least damage lost from not having the barrel modifier when it's applied.

The difference between overheating or not is still not earthshattering, but it is definitely a difference and it's always worth doing, on every wildfire. After the last patch everything in the MCH rotation works off 60 second intervals. You will always have Flamethrower up to overheat into Wildfire on cue and you will always have Barrel Stabilizer to recover. You will always Hot Shot on the final global of your cooling period and never have to pay any attention to it's timer, unless you're delaying your Wildfire for some reason. MCH in it's current iteration plays great and the only gameplay change I'd want them to make is revert the heat generation change so we'd have more interesting heat managment.

Well a second change I'd want to MCH is to get rid of the turrets entirely because passive pets like MCH turrets and SMN egi are stupid and every class they're in are always worse off for their existence. The turrets should just be a bit that shows up to do a thing when you Hypercharge or Overdrive, the rest of their damage should get rolled back into the class so the class doesn't have to feel weaker because there's a floating robodong propelling about which farts every 3 seconds.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Here's how you make leveling BLM fun:

* Transpose CD down to 10s
* Rename FireIV and BlizzardIV to "Void Fire" and "Void Blizzard", make it so you learn Enochian and both of those spells at like level 20 tops. Start them out with lower potency which increases back to 260 due to traits gained at levels 58 and 60.

There, now BLM players get to practice the "do I play it safe and keep AF going or play it risky for more damage" game for almost the entire story rather than post-HW.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

IR absolutely tips it towards ST+Decimate (in medium-sized trash pulls). whether or not you want to build up to 100 gauge or 50 isn't really relevant, but it 'costs' 1220 single-target potency to get 50 gauge. generally, this won't get made up by the aoe spenders, compared to just overpower-spamming.

i honestly have no idea how you got 3600 dps. was that two decimates? i was just giving a sample across the amount of time it takes to build+spend one decimate vs just overpowering for the entire duration. tp is obviously an issue, but between equilibrium and begging for goads i'm generally fine.

Both scenarios were tested over 3 minutes, so overpower spam lost a lot due to running out of TP. You're right though, they'd probably be a lot closer if I had someone to goad me. Whether you can rely on that or not in dungeons is another matter.

I still stand by my original point that overpower should generate beast. Or there should be some way of generating beast that doesn't rely on ST abilities, like maybe you get 1 point every time vengeance procs. It's silly that dark knights never run out of resources for AOE unless they gently caress something up.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A game of shatter where I took a grand total 2733 damage as a White Mage

... I think I might have been against... bad players...

:thunk:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
if you're not getting winged a little, you're probably not running out to Fluid Aura someone back into your team, which is sad because that's the most fun it's possible to have as a white mage in shatter

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
ok, fluid auraing someone off a cliff is even funnier, but that almost never comes up

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
It makes me miss using holmgang on enemy healers as you lept off a cliff every time it was on cooldown back in ARR pvp.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

It's already been said before but yeah:

- Lots of jobs, especially MCH, need their leveling progression fixed up.
- You should overheat as much as you can as MCH, but heat management is weird and unreliable before you have all your tools.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
My understanding of MCH is that it's a very powerful class at 70 that will eat dirt faster than a falling plane if you gently caress up, and half of the problem with it is that it's way too easy to gently caress up. The other half of the problem is that you are relying on raw RNG to correct the gently caress-up, which by itself is going to be a source of rage from all ends of the playerbase spectrum.

Yes, it's certainly possible to minimize the gently caress up ratio with lots and lots of practice, but therein lies the catch: SE only thinks most MCH players are willing to put in that practice. The reality is that most MCH players are casuals who don't care about getting good/playing other classes and just want to shoot things with a gun. :downsgun:

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 6, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Both scenarios were tested over 3 minutes, so overpower spam lost a lot due to running out of TP. You're right though, they'd probably be a lot closer if I had someone to goad me. Whether you can rely on that or not in dungeons is another matter.

I still stand by my original point that overpower should generate beast. Or there should be some way of generating beast that doesn't rely on ST abilities, like maybe you get 1 point every time vengeance procs. It's silly that dark knights never run out of resources for AOE unless they gently caress something up.

this would be my number-one change for warrior (honestly before the shake it off change, because i actually use current shake it off a decent amount) to have overpower generate gauge. it's not even that unheard of now that dragoon gets botd timer from aoe. warrior feels pointedly shafted in aoe pulls, both in the sense that they have a cone instead of a pbaoe, but also in that it is hugely inefficient long-term. i have to do some truly dumb poo poo to hit all my targets with overpower and there's a very real possibility of loving it up moving to dodge aoes.

the shake it off changes will help a lot (a max 24 percent shield every 90 seconds is very good) but when i play warrior i really can't get over the lack of utility i'm bringing. cover/paladin wings/blackest night are all good-feeling tank skills to use that i feel is actually helping the raid, not just me personally.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I personally wish they'd make MCH a standard 1-2-3 combo class rather than a proc-based ammo-counter, as that would allow me to spend the rest of my brain actually watching things like my hotshot timer and how not to completely gently caress up wildfire. Overheat on top of that is an extra layer of management that just makes me fumble everything time and time again.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the shake it off changes will help a lot (a max 24 percent shield every 90 seconds is very good)

I hate to be the wet blanket, but that "consume buffs for more shield" gimmick that Yoship theorized wasn't included in the-

...loving EDIT NINJAS MAKING ME A LIAR. (The gimmick was seriously not listed there when the notes first went up. I thought the idea was shot down and I was quite mad.)

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

SL the Pyro posted:

I hate to be the wet blanket, but that "consume buffs for more shield" gimmick that Yoship theorized wasn't included in the-

...loving EDIT NINJAS MAKING ME A LIAR.

i saw the original post, got sad that it wasn't in, then checked it around when i posted to figure out the cooldown and saw that it was included, yeah.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 6, 2017

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well good, that's a really solid party utility that WAR can bring to the table for stack mechanics and raid-wide damage. I was honestly thinking the base mitigation would be a bit lower.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i mean, you pretty much will always have reprisal or shake it off (please change this name, it doesn't make sense anymore) for major raidwide aoes. i cannot wait.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Saint Freak posted:

Ninjas get spinny/flippy attacks starting at like rogue level 1 if anyone really wants to spin around a bunch I recommend that.

Question, do Rogues completely stop being Rogues once they became ninjas, like, I dunno lore wise? It just seems like a switch.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
most of the physical classes going from class to job are like, 'the class with a bunch of mysticism tacked on', and it's very weird

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's a few pages later now, but as people have brought up already, MCH just isn't fun to play. The problem is that the damage and utility at 70 is perfectly fine so the developers think the class is alright, but speaking from my perspective as a 40-year-old casual incompetent person...

1) The leveling experience is absolutely dire. In anything 50 or below you're basically doing the 1-2-3 combo, a hot shot once a minute, and nothing else. It's practically impulse drive hell, but over the entire ARR content stretch. The Heavensward levels are arguably worse since while you finally get access to some more skills to use you also gain the heat gauge and have no way to manage it without toggling gauss barrel off and on again. And if you wind up doing FATEs or the like where you get downsynced even slightly you wind up having gauss barrel automatically toggled off and lose all your heat.

2) The basic rotation is absurdly simple. AOE is even worse since you have all of a single skill there. It's also heavily RNG-focused, and while ammo helps to mitigate that it just isn't satisfying when the dice just refuse to roll in your favor. It was arguable

3) In contrast, the wildfire rotation is probably the single most complex mechanic in the game to maximize, and fucks you over hard if you mess it up. You need to activate something like four different buffs but only in a specific order and make sure you're at the right point of your rotation and make sure you have ammo ready and make sure you're in a position to overheat but not too quickly or too late... it's really stressful to actually manage, and the visceral payoff for the effort frankly just isn't isn't worth it considering the wildfire animation is a wet fart.

The problem is I'm not really sure how to fix it without completely redesigning the class, and that seems like something square is loathe to do. Ideally they would remove wildfire make the burst phase simpler to manage while moving some of the complexity to the ongoing DPS rotation, but...

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

8% of the WAR's current max HP isn't much to work with at first, but once you dip into Defiance and Thrill of Battle, it's an easy 10k HP shield every two minutes. That's a really effective emergency shield for when your healers have run dry at critical moments (O4S' Almagest comes to mind, specifically the two after Grand Cross Omega).

Going for the max 20% shield isn't really feasible though. You would have to save all of your cooldowns specifically for use with Shake It Off, which isn't going to work in fights where you need to use cooldowns at specific moments (so, most fights). Weaving Inner Beast into it could also be a chore if you're going ham (and you should never not be going ham as a WAR), so you'll have to lose a pre-Berserk Fell Cleave for it.

On the plus side, Raw Intuition has the same cooldown time as Shake It Off, and you'll ideally pop some form of cooldown just before a big attack hits you, so with proper timing you'll always have something to boost Shake.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 6, 2017

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Question, do Rogues completely stop being Rogues once they became ninjas, like, I dunno lore wise? It just seems like a switch.

The level 30 quest is basically You go investigate ninjas with your rogue buddy and the ninjas are like 'we can teach you how to ninja' and your rogue buddy is like 'I'm not gonna stop you from going cause honestly that's rad as hell and I would pick to do that too'.

Except imagine I wrote that in the way that someone thinks that like a ...cockney?...pirate? would talk.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SL the Pyro posted:

8% of the WAR's current max HP isn't much to work with at first, but once you dip into Defiance and Thrill of Battle, it's an easy 10k HP shield every two minutes. That's a really effective emergency shield for when your healers have run dry at critical moments (O4S' Almagest comes to mind, specifically the two after Grand Cross Omega).

Going for the max 24% shield isn't really feasible though. You would have to save all of your cooldowns specifically for use with Shake It Off, which isn't going to work in fights where you need to use cooldowns at specific moments (so, most fights). Weaving Inner Beast into it could also be a chore if you're going ham (and you should never not be going ham as a WAR), so you'll have to lose a pre-Berserk Fell Cleave for it.

On the plus side, Raw Intuition has the same cooldown time as Shake It Off, and you'll ideally pop some form of cooldown just before a big attack hits you, so with proper timing you'll always have something to boost Shake.

Except that Inner Beast STILL ISN'T A GUARANTEED +4% BECAUSE IT'S MITIGATION THAT REQUIRES A TARGET

God knows this game loves it's twenty-second transition phases just before raidwide AoE.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ferrinus posted:

Do this anyway because wow having a 1-second window to hit Transpose during Decisive Battle in O4s is utter rear end.

Rainuwastaken posted:

I personally wish they'd make MCH a standard 1-2-3 combo class rather than a proc-based ammo-counter, as that would allow me to spend the rest of my brain actually watching things like my hotshot timer and how not to completely gently caress up wildfire. Overheat on top of that is an extra layer of management that just makes me fumble everything time and time again.

I decided to try out just listening for the buff being applied to my character (it makes a really distinctive noise). It sort of works! Wouldn't do it in actual raid content though.

I do like the ammo counter personally because I can't stand 123123123 but I can understand why some people don't. I really want to like MCH because guns are cool and holy poo poo there are a lot of cool animations (bstab, heated 123, Ricochet), it's just that every time I sync below 62 I feel like dying inside.

vOv fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 6, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And just think, Grenado Shot is forever lost to the aether.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Here's how SE could fix MCH's overheating problems:

1) remove automatic overheating when players hit 100 heat.
2) when players use wildfire, they overheat and get a damage bonus. The timer on WF is based on the amount of heat they had prior to using the skill.

This way MCHs don't blow their damage bonus when they don't want to, and it reduces the fiddly complexity of making the most out of wildfire, since it condenses two timers together. You can even simplify it further and remove the damage bonus from overheating, and bake it into the damage dealt by WF when it goes off.

If they really want to make MCHs manage heat, have them give a BRD song style buff when they use cooldown or something, but overheating before level 62 it is just dumb.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ferrinus posted:

* Rename FireIV and BlizzardIV to "Void Fire" and "Void Blizzard", make it so you learn Enochian and both of those spells at like level 20 tops. Start them out with lower potency which increases back to 260 due to traits gained at levels 58 and 60.

There, now BLM players get to practice the "do I play it safe and keep AF going or play it risky for more damage" game for almost the entire story rather than post-HW.

I would like this.

Saint Freak posted:

The level 30 quest is basically You go investigate ninjas with your rogue buddy and the ninjas are like 'we can teach you how to ninja' and your rogue buddy is like 'I'm not gonna stop you from going cause honestly that's rad as hell and I would pick to do that too'.

Except imagine I wrote that in the way that someone thinks that like a ...cockney?...pirate? would talk.

I want to know what Karasu's deal is because that introduction was something.

Guess I'll have to keep leveling Ninja in PotD.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 6, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Saint Freak posted:

not quite, i think

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If it helps the Rogues are way more active in the Ninja story than most old class NPCs are in your job quests.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

I never realized that Inner Release had a quick blackening effect. Huh.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Blockhouse posted:

If it helps the Rogues are way more active in the Ninja story than most old class NPCs are in your job quests.

It kind of does actually, makes it seem less of a severe plot change.

Anyway, so apparently they sent out a subscription length mount yesterday. I had no idea that was happening!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

They call 'em "stabbers" but most of your attacks seem more slash-based.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
So if I own the PS4 complete edition. Do I need to buy it as well for my PC? I was able to install FF14 with no issue and I had made a dragon-person thing and was able to play it with no problem. Will I be locked out of content on the PC and have to roll over to my PS4 in order to access it or am I already set? I know I need to buy it again if I had it on PC but I was curious if this was different since it was flipped.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Diabetic posted:

So if I own the PS4 complete edition. Do I need to buy it as well for my PC? I was able to install FF14 with no issue and I had made a dragon-person thing and was able to play it with no problem. Will I be locked out of content on the PC and have to roll over to my PS4 in order to access it or am I already set? I know I need to buy it again if I had it on PC but I was curious if this was different since it was flipped.

Your account needs a license for each expansion for each system you want to be able to play that expansion on

e: And the systems are PS4, Steam, and non-Steam PC--steam and non-steam are considered separate consoles for this purpose

Kuai
May 25, 2004
drat I really want to buy a mansion in kugane but ill be like 25mil short.

what are the chances of getting banned for buying gil? i just want a stupid big rear end house to decorate

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's going to be total mayhem and i'm looking forward to it.

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/916437584548569088

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Kuai posted:

drat I really want to buy a mansion in kugane but ill be like 25mil short.

what are the chances of getting banned for buying gil? i just want a stupid big rear end house to decorate

Hahaha go look how expensive gil is.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

also don't do it because it's a scam to steal your account and not legit

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Ainsley McTree posted:

also don't do it because it's a scam to steal your account and not legit

That and you aren't getting that housing plot anyway :v:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Just noticed this in the patch notes: "The HP of enemies in level 15 to 49 and level 51 to 59 dungeons has been adjusted."

Have they mentioned what that means? Going up or down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Ainsley McTree posted:

Just noticed this in the patch notes: "The HP of enemies in level 15 to 49 and level 51 to 59 dungeons has been adjusted."

Have they mentioned what that means? Going up or down?

Ooh, that seems interesting