Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Shojo is more of a Vetinari character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Maybe, just maybe, there aren't direct analogs between characters in these two meta-narrative comedic fantasy series, just similar tropes parodied differently.

...... Naaaaah.
V is Rincewind

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Tenebrais posted:

Shojo is more of a Vetinari character.

Yeah, being content to let everyone think he was senile for decades in order to let the assorted noble jerkwads think they were in control was a pretty Vetinari thing to do.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I miss Terry Pratchett :(

Also while I appreciate the twist in this page, it is a bit clunky considering it needed a whole page's worth of reminders of previous plot points to explain. Still good though.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Phanatic posted:

Tarquin's pretty much Vetinari anyway.
I think Shojo might be closer, even if he doesn't inspire the same dread. Tarquin may know stories, but Shojo knew people.

e; fb

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Shugojin posted:

I always got the feeling that he wasn't so much unwilling as that he felt it was unnecessary, because what Ankh-Morpork needed wasn't a king but just some guy you felt gave a drat.

E: although he is pretty uninterested in power which is why he's the one person who doesn't go power mad when he touches the Gonne

Carrot's deal is that he's found a way to do the duties of the king of A-M without any of the pageantry or trouble that an actual crowned king would cause. He believes a king should protect and serve his people, help them solve their disputes and otherwise let them carry on their lives; and he can do that as captain of the Watch. He is the king, he's just discrete about it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Phanatic posted:

Tarquin's pretty much Vetinari anyway.

Tarquin thinks he's Vetinari.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
What the gently caress are you nerds talking about ITT?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Earnestly posted:

look at this pratchet-less rube

e: terry pratchett was an extremely popular/prolific british fantasy writer who excelled in clever satire and using fantasy as a medium to comment on both real-world issues and on the a nature of story telling itself

AriadneThread fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 7, 2017

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
A setting that started as a send-up of common genre tropes but gradually developed into its own rather epic thing, in spite of its author's health problems.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Earnestly posted:

Please Read Discworld

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Earnestly posted:

Okay so what you need to do is read Small Gods, then the Watch books in order, then the Witch books in order.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Don't read any Watch book after the first because Vimes devolves from a sympathetic fuckup to the lord-god of trying too hard.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Colonel Cool posted:

Okay so what you need to do is read Small Gods, then the Watch books in order, then the Witch books in order.

Eh, I'd substitute the Death books for the Witch books, but that's just me.

Also:
Magrat Garlick: Elan
Nanny Ogg: Haley
Granny Weatherwax: Roy

While Elan is clearly Magrat, Haley is the only one I can picture singing the hedgehog song.

quote:

Don't read any Watch book after the first because Vimes devolves from a sympathetic fuckup to the lord-god of trying too hard.

Heretic!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Just read all the books in roughly publication order you goons

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

GodFish posted:

The earliest books are not the best books though. The early depictions of Granny are really rough. The Rincewind books never did anything for me either.

The later books are much more polished, but have a bunch of jokes that reference things a new reader wouldn't know.

I'll second "Small Gods" as a good entry point. It probably the best of the stand alone books in the series.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ImpAtom posted:

Pratchett's last few are bad because of his brain dissolving (:smith:) but the bulk of his books are ridiculously high quality for what should be boilerplate fantasy parody. Not dissimilar to OOTS, in a way. However he does have a problem with protagonist inflation, where they become infallible gods of whatever it is they do, which rich hasn't succumbed to yet. Definitely worth a read if you haven't encountered him yet.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Facebook Aunt posted:

The earliest books are not the best books though. The early depictions of Granny are really rough. The Rincewind books never did anything for me either.

The later books are much more polished, but have a bunch of jokes that reference things a new reader wouldn't know.

I'll second "Small Gods" as a good entry point. It probably the best of the stand alone books in the series.

Small gods is great but it isn't a good intro into the kind of stories you'll get from the rest of the series. Best method is probably to grab any book from the middleish read that and then read the rest in order from whichever you can get your hands on. And just skip any book you aren't really feeling. I've re-read the series a lot but I usually skip rincewinds and one book from each subseries

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

GodFish posted:

The best way to read Discworld is as a teenager discovering the illustrated The Colour Of Magic book buried among your New Age aunt's pewter dragon statues and dreamcatchers, on top of a Piers Anthony book you will later return to with undue optimism after the success of your previous foray.

For real though anyone who enjoys OotS has a decent chance at enjoying the Discworld books, they come from a similar place of affectionate parody for fantasy evolving into sincere storytelling. I guess it's a little cross-generational at this point, which is kind of funny since by the accelerated timespeed the internet operates under OotS itself is already an artifact of an earlier epoch.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Earnestly posted:

I also have no idea what people are talking about because I've never read Diskworld nut also OOTS is roughly three times as nerdy as Diskworld so you really don't have any room to be calling anyone else in this thread nerds.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

reignonyourparade posted:

I also have no idea what people are talking about because I've never read Diskworld nut also OOTS is roughly three times as nerdy as Diskworld so you really don't have any room to be calling anyone else in this thread nerds.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Obviously people should start with Going Postal. That's not even up for debate.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Be like me and start with Witches Abroad and Making Money because that's what was available at the bookstore you went to!

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I started with a short Granny story in an anthology: the Sea and Little Fishes. I loved it, and read just about everything afterwards. Small Gods is my favorite, but Hogfather captured my heart, too.

Night Watch too, if only because it opened my eyes to the gigantic, grinding machine that cities (and by extension, civilization) were and the impact it has on everything and everyone. (I'm sure it was that one, inner of the latter Vimes novels, certainly)

edit: civilization, not civilian

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 7, 2017

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

No, no: Diskworld is the square planet in the A-drive of a DOS-operating elephant. Clearly you've gotten confused.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Bell_ posted:

I started with a short Granny story in an anthology: the Sea and Little Fishes. I loved it, and read just about everything afterwards. Small Gods is my favorite, but Hogfather captured my heart, too.

Night Watch too, if only because it opened my eyes to the gigantic, grinding machine that cities (and by extension, civilian) were and the impact it has on everything and everyone. (I'm sure it was that one, inner of the latter Vimes novels, certainly)

Night Watch is definitely my favorite, I don't know why; it largely excludes a number of the City Watch series regulars, and it's odd to see a book from that series so focused on one character, but still manages to be really fun.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I love Night Watch, but you really, really want to read the previous Ankh-Morpork books before Night Watch for best results, particularly the Watch books.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

The general advice with discworld is to read the later stuff first because they start off as just a really good satire on fantasy tropes and then do other stuff later.
But this is the Order of the Stick thread.
If you like OotS you can just read them in the order they were released and it'll be fine. it worked for me.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

shut up nerd. You post on a dying comedy forum. I don't have to listen to you.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
People seem to make a big deal about the later Discworld novels not being as good, and I totally don't agree. They're a very different flavour of good, and Pratchett throws a lot of the canon from the first few books away for his later stuff, but the idea that they're so bad that they'd put people off of the others seems pretty excessive.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Whybird posted:

People seem to make a big deal about the later Discworld novels not being as good, and I totally don't agree. They're a very different flavour of good, and Pratchett throws a lot of the canon from the first few books away for his later stuff, but the idea that they're so bad that they'd put people off of the others seems pretty excessive.

Someone earlier mentioned are a few later books that dispose of any pretense for action or suspense, and devolve into several Mary Sue characters talking at each other for paragraphs at a time, then changing the scenery and doing it a bit more; I'm in the middle of reading Snuff and that rang true, but it may shift as the book progresses.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

some of the very last books i think didn't get as much of an editing pass as earlier ones might have out of favor of getting as many stories out there as possible before the end
i don't know if that's true or not, just my own impression from reading them and my limited knowledge of the situation. rip pratchett

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's broadly right but it's more that towards the end he simply couldn't do his usual editing process anymore. I think he was essentially unable to read or write and had to dictate everything.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Someone earlier mentioned are a few later books that dispose of any pretense for action or suspense, and devolve into several Mary Sue characters talking at each other for paragraphs at a time, then changing the scenery and doing it a bit more; I'm in the middle of reading Snuff and that rang true, but it may shift as the book progresses.

Snuff made me realize it was time to retire the Vimes character, who used to be my favorite. I still love most of the Watch books though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i've only ever really liked the books about DEATH and it's probably bc they aren't as specific genre parodys as the other books

OOTS doesn't really have a non-parody or genre trope character now that i think about it, Monster in the Darkness might be the closest to being truly original huh

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Reading all these Pratchett posts is making me sad all over again. :(

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

i've only ever really liked the books about DEATH and it's probably bc they aren't as specific genre parodys as the other books

OOTS doesn't really have a non-parody or genre trope character now that i think about it, Monster in the Darkness might be the closest to being truly original huh

Even MitD starts out as a joke about Xykon's villainous sense of drama.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Renoistic posted:

Snuff made me realize it was time to retire the Vimes character, who used to be my favorite. I still love most of the Watch books though.

In Snuff, Vimes became a glib Chuck Norris imitation who casually threatened a suspect with the prospect of prison rape. His butler, whose name escapes me, basically became loving Batman, instead of obliquely referencing his background in the Shades as an implied threat of dire consequences.

There was no subtlety or subtext in the whole story and it read like bad fanfic.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

jeebus bob posted:

In Snuff, Vimes became a glib Chuck Norris imitation who casually threatened a suspect with the prospect of prison rape. His butler, whose name escapes me, basically became loving Batman, instead of obliquely referencing his background in the Shades as an implied threat of dire consequences.

There was no subtlety or subtext in the whole story and it read like bad fanfic.

Thud was a late one, and still good. And people say I shall wear midnight is ok. Its just the last few where theres a slump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I'm reasonably sure his assistant was more or less ghostwriting large parts of the last few.