Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Tippis posted:

But… any more knobs on a Type-9 and it won't fit through the mail slot. :aaa:

That's never stopped FD releasing a ship. See: Imperial Cutter, Beluga...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Excellent, the Frogs can send Mother Goat to our current contract location, and bring the full power of the Diamond Frogs on our target.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Sky Shadowing posted:

Excellent, the Frogs can send Mother Goat to our current contract location, and bring the full power of the Diamond Frogs on our target.

I think we're going to call it the DFS Get Outer Heaven :v:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Type 10: Yo dawg I heard you liked thrusters.

The Chieftain

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 8, 2017

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Wait a minute, am I going to have to haul my self back from jaque's?

Edit: nope, have to study, can't get back in now.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The Chieftain is going to be just big enough to require a large pad, isn't it?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Xae posted:

The Chieftain is going to be just big enough to require a large pad, isn't it?

I am still extremely curious what the in-universe reason for making the Type-7 so tall was for. There are only 3 sized pads in the entire universe, all of human space is condensed into 3 size points that ships can land on. The type-7 is a 'new' ship too, so it was designed in modern times. Somehow, throughout what I can only assume is a massive, massive undertaking, Lakon went through the entire ship design process, testing, building and marketing, to come out with a ship who's sales are heavily impacted because it can only land on large sized pads. Not because it's too big, but because it is too tall to fit in the station when you slide down inside after landing. The whole entire ship is severely handicapped because they made it too tall for a very specific aspect of ship landing.
Why in the gently caress wasn't that caught? Are there shareholders? Are they livid that Lakon made such a massive blunder?
I don't know what the % is for stations that only have large pads but I have to assume they are in the minority vs. the rest of the stations throughout human space.

The Chieftain doesn't look Lakon so it's probably ok :haw:

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
I gotta say, I'm pretty shocked at how thin on "exciting new features" Beyond looks. Exploration rework might be interesting, but it's over a loving year away :(.

More like Master Chieftain.

Arach fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 8, 2017

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Reminds me a little bit of the Raza from Dark Matter, albeit with far skinnier engine pods. Also yes it looks like something out of Halo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

4-outrigger engine setups are extremely common in sci-fi, to be fair.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

If the type-10 is at all good at anything I'll get it. I really like the big lumbering box that is a type 9 but gently caress if it's not useless.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm in the Type-6 bracket, I love the lumbering thing.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Groggy nard posted:

What type of star was it, out of curiosity?

It was an M (red dwarf)

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'm in the Type-6 bracket, I love the lumbering thing.

I really wish they'd make the Keelback a little better because it is my favorite "idea" of a ship, if that makes sense at all.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Multicrew is definitely limited but I had a good time letting two people join my Anaconda. The game should let each Commander use a fighter. And I feel like I need more turrets on my ship now.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
So I am just returning, haven't dabbled since 2.2. Are there any decent money making holes at present that can accomodate a limited playtime?

Have a conda fitted for passenger missions at present and I am based at Rhea. New CG's lucrative?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Thats fab, new content just in time for new hmds

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 8, 2017

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
From Sandro's descriptions, Squadrons will actually be guilds. Which would be amazing.
The level of tears from the '84ers is already intense though it seems.

Also I haven't played for loving ages. With all these things like colony ships and exploration sites (thargoid or whatever) that you can find, how do you actually go about finding them in-game?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I hope they don't mess guilds up.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Squadrons are coming in Q4 (more like Q1-Q2 of 2019, based on the past), right? That's a long time. I wish game got guilds before adding new ships or graphics.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

clone on the phone posted:

I hope they don't mess guilds up.

Just wait for the constant cries from the official forum.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I am still extremely curious what the in-universe reason for making the Type-7 so tall was for. There are only 3 sized pads in the entire universe, all of human space is condensed into 3 size points that ships can land on. The type-7 is a 'new' ship too, so it was designed in modern times. Somehow, throughout what I can only assume is a massive, massive undertaking, Lakon went through the entire ship design process, testing, building and marketing, to come out with a ship who's sales are heavily impacted because it can only land on large sized pads. Not because it's too big, but because it is too tall to fit in the station when you slide down inside after landing. The whole entire ship is severely handicapped because they made it too tall for a very specific aspect of ship landing.
Why in the gently caress wasn't that caught? Are there shareholders? Are they livid that Lakon made such a massive blunder?
I don't know what the % is for stations that only have large pads but I have to assume they are in the minority vs. the rest of the stations throughout human space.

The Chieftain doesn't look Lakon so it's probably ok :haw:

Keep in mind...This is a fictional reality where the powers that be not only put flimsy windshields at the front of every single ship in existence...but didn't design some sort self-healing system in the event that flimsy rear end windshield gets accidentally or purposefully cracked into shards. Not just one manufacturer, either...all of them.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The AFMU Lobby pays a lot of money to stop ship manufacturers from putting their own windshield fixing solution in.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DatonKallandor posted:

The AFMU Lobby pays a lot of money to stop ship manufacturers from putting their own windshield fixing solution in.

You'd think they'd try to do something about people making free AFMU fuel out of rocks

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

You'd think they'd try to do something about people making free AFMU fuel out of rocks

The heat sink lobby was faster, and sadly the public outcry after that fiasco made it unfeasible to stop the synthesis-problem, so the AFMU-lobby could only settle for blocking cockpit-window manufacturers from implementing their own solutions. After that, their political capital was spend.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Holy poo poo, is it seriously going to take them over a full year to add player guilds? How is this company so incompetent?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
128 ton life support system, supplies 15 minutes of O2 to one man.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

INTJ Mastermind posted:

128 ton life support system, supplies 15 minutes of O2 to one man.

Not even minding that even the smallest ships in this game are the size of enormous vehicles/sports venues in real life and there's absolutely no way to seal the rest of the ship off from the cockpit so maybe...I dunno...you could retreat to a separate area of the ship (with hours of breathable air).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
At least it's not the F35's oxygen system. :rimshot:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Semi conscious pilots seem like a natural stepping stone to fully AI controlled aircraft, so maybe it's just ahead of the curve?

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

DatonKallandor posted:

At least it's not the entire United States oxygen system. :rimshot:

Fixed that for you.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Keep in mind...This is a fictional reality where the powers that be not only put flimsy windshields at the front of every single ship in existence...but didn't design some sort self-healing system in the event that flimsy rear end windshield gets accidentally or purposefully cracked into shards. Not just one manufacturer, either...all of them.

And I'm still convinced that LEDs don't exist in this universe either.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Holy poo poo, is it seriously going to take them over a full year to add player guilds? How is this company so incompetent?

Because the game engine is still a single player engine with lovely P2P networking grafted on.

TopHatGenius posted:

Multicrew is definitely limited but I had a good time letting two people join my Anaconda. The game should let each Commander use a fighter. And I feel like I need more turrets on my ship now.

The dumbest drat thing is that multi-crew doesn't support queuing.

Also that 90% of your pay gets eaten for "reasons".

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Xae posted:

The dumbest drat thing is that multi-crew doesn't support queuing.

Also that 90% of your pay gets eaten for "Sir David".

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Hopefully the new chieftain fills the gap between the python and AspE. It is at least one of the best looking ships yet. Missions to unlock new weapons also sounds fun, and may be the first non-grind feature yet. So maybe in 12 months there will be enough content to make the game interesting again.

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 8, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

How to Fix Multicrew:

1. Stop gimping payments.
2. Add worthwhile turrets. Make them non-functional without a gunner. But with a gunner they are brutal hellcannons that wreck things. I'm thinking Large Dual Railgun Turrets type things.
3. Add content balanced for multicrew with good rewards.

Game after game has found that one of the biggest drivers of player retention is social interaction. If players group up with other players they are more likely to keep playing. You want group play to be rewarding.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Not even minding that even the smallest ships in this game are the size of enormous vehicles/sports venues in real life and there's absolutely no way to seal the rest of the ship off from the cockpit so maybe...I dunno...you could retreat to a separate area of the ship (with hours of breathable air).

And hope that someone saves you in those hours, since you can't pilot your ship to safety if you do this? Sounds like a rather nasty way to commit suicide. I think what actually happens here is pilots going "gently caress that noise" and throwing themselves into their escape pod when their emergency oxygen "runs out".

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So was that all from the expo? Two ships and guilds?

Is there a summary/breakdown anywhere?

Nm, https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/74xf77/new_features_and_qol_improvements_shown_frontier

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 8, 2017

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Mr. Crow posted:

So was that all from the expo? Two ships and guilds?

Is there a summary/breakdown anywhere?

Nm, https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/74xf77/new_features_and_qol_improvements_shown_frontier

Yeah there's a lot of stuff. And the worst part is that it's all free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

They said there'd be more reveals in the coming weeks/months.

Off the top of my head from the expo:

"lots" of new ships coming, not just two.
engineer rolls will be changed so you never get a worse roll than one you already have equipped
graphics and lighting overhaul
planetary terrain overhaul (more variety)
group/wing based missions
squadrons and squadron carriers
mining overhaul
exploration overhaul with more interactive activities and new phenomena
galnet audio (text to speech for galnet so you can get bulletins passively while you fly)
free oral sex

e:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/74wt9u/megathread_frontier_expo_2017_discussion/

e2: always the bridesmaid

• Locked thread