Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

I'm against rent control in general because it does little to keep rents down overall and it like winning the lottery for the people who get a controlled unit. Additionally it its usually paired with laws that make it really hard to get a tenant out, and I kind of think that a property owner should be able to charge what the market will bear and get a different tenant if they so choose, as long as the process is not abusive and there is no discrimination based on protected status.

I don't have a huge problem with this law in theory but looking at the list there are somethings that are major habitability issues and some that aren't really aren't a big deal. Ideally you would only punish them for serious stuff that indicated neglect. I also think it would be better if you could get a city inspector in there and just let the tenant withheld rent altogether if there was something major wrong with the property. TI think that would hurt the slumlords more than just not allowing them to raise rents until it was remedied.
I looked through that list, and would really love to know what asterisked issues "really aren't a big deal," or doesn't indicate neglect. Keeping in mind that this law isn't even saying that they don't get rent while these issues are ongoing, just that they can't raise rent while they are. Landlords in this loving country get away with murder. And I mean that literally.

And I don't even like rent control; I think you may as well give out lottery tickets, and give out more tickets to people who've lived in a place longer. Rent control isn't means-tested, and in now way targets people who need it more, it mostly just helps people who get lucky, or have lived in a place longer. I think we should have stricter rules on when you can increase rent (landlords should have to give a minimum of 60 days' notice on a rent increase of up to 10%, and 90 days' notice if going above that, and tenants should only have to give 15 days' notice if they're vacating following an increase), but I think the key to lowering rents is a combination of several things.

As far as people who have trouble affording housing, we should make it way more expensive to buy a waiver of the affordable housing allotment, and it should probably be at around 15% of new construction. Aside from just having affordable housing for people to live in, there are substantial societal benefits to having low-income housing mixed with regular housing, and the waiver fees should reflect that. In order to compensate for that, we should be raising height requirements, and waiving parking requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Even better, limit rent increases to 5% annually, only higher if the landlord can prove a need for the increase such as a rebuild or massive upgrade.
No landlord is barely scraping by.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The city does these fuckers a favor letting them build their Greg Nickels bullshit here, we might as well attach some strings.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Peachfart posted:

Even better, limit rent increases to 5% annually, only higher if the landlord can prove a need for the increase such as a rebuild or massive upgrade.
This is rent control, and pretty much just rewards people who already live here, with no concern for means-testing. It makes moving next to impossible (including moving to be closer to work), because the rent on vacant units gets driven up by the fact that the landlord knows they won't be able to raise the rent down the line. It's a really bad way to try to reduce rents.

I do not sympathize with landlords, but this winds up hard-screwing tenants as well.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Thanatosian posted:

This is rent control, and pretty much just rewards people who already live here, with no concern for means-testing. It makes moving next to impossible (including moving to be closer to work), because the rent on vacant units gets driven up by the fact that the landlord knows they won't be able to raise the rent down the line. It's a really bad way to try to reduce rents.

I do not sympathize with landlords, but this winds up hard-screwing tenants as well.

5% annually is far above inflation, and in most cities wouldn't be sustainable. And to combat housing costs we should also increase property taxes(esp on single family homes) and use the money to build dense low-income housing.
And I say this owning a SFH.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

The best option I've seen is to force developers to dedicate some percentage of the housing to low income housing. It not only ensures the people who need it most have housing, but it also integrates neighborhoods in ways that we've systemically prevented for decades.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ElCondemn posted:

The best option I've seen is to force developers to dedicate some percentage of the housing to low income housing. It not only ensures the people who need it most have housing, but it also integrates neighborhoods in ways that we've systemically prevented for decades.

Yes please, build the first bunch in Magnolia. I want to see some NIMBY tears.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ElCondemn posted:

How do you force a developer to do this?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Peachfart posted:

5% annually is far above inflation, and in most cities wouldn't be sustainable. And to combat housing costs we should also increase property taxes(esp on single family homes) and use the money to build dense low-income housing.
And I say this owning a SFH.

There are forces on housing prices other than inflation. If it were possible to limit year-over-year increases to 5% and not have a negative impact on prices over the long-term, yeah, sure, I'd be in favor of it. But like I said, all that does is cause landlords to frontload rent prices, since they know they won't be able to raise prices down the line, and make it harder for people to move. Philosophically, I'd really love to limit rent increases, but there's no real way to force that through straight regulation. Reducing rent prices just isn't that easy.

Peachfart posted:

Yes please, build the first bunch in Magnolia. I want to see some NIMBY tears.

gently caress yeah.

anthonypants posted:

How do you force a developer to do this?
In Seattle, we already do, we just allow developers to purchase waivers for the requirement, so they can get around it. All they need to do is increase the price of the waivers, and it could drive a lot more affordable housing.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 7, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanatosian posted:

In Seattle, we already do, we just allow developers to purchase waivers for the requirement, so they can get around it. All they need to do is increase the price of the waivers, and it could drive a lot more affordable housing.
In Portland, so do we, but then the developers/property owners decide they don't need to abide by those rules, and the city decides to not do anything about it.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Peachfart posted:

I'm as much in favor as affordable housing as the next guy but rhetoric like this does more harm then good. I know at least 3 'landlords' who are barely scraping even or running slightly negative when factoring maintenence and taxes. The law should distinguish between large-scale property owners and the fixed income grandma who has a rental property.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Xand_Man posted:

I'm as much in favor as affordable housing as the next guy but rhetoric like this does more harm then good. I know at least 3 'landlords' who are barely scraping even or running slightly negative when factoring maintenence and taxes. The law should distinguish between large-scale property owners and the fixed income grandma who has a rental property.

There is a growing concern of people in Seattle who own rental properties and they're decidedly NOT old ladies on a fixed income. Hell, my brother in law rents a house he owns but doesn't live in and he's just some regular rear end in a top hat.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Xand_Man posted:

If you are renting out property in Seattle and are "barely scraping by," you should really get yourself checked for severe head trauma.

Like, seriously, fixed income grandma going broke renting property needs an examination for dementia/Alzheimers ASAP.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Xand_Man posted:

Sounds like maybe those people should sell their property and use the money that they have to provide for themselves.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

[quote="“Xand_Man”" post="“477156873”"]
I’m as much in favor as affordable housing as the next guy but rhetoric like this does more harm then good. I know at least 3 ‘landlords’ who are barely scraping even or running slightly negative when factoring maintenence and taxes. The law should distinguish between large-scale property owners and the fixed income grandma who has a rental property.
[/quote]

Commodity speculation is tough

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I'm a dummy

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 8, 2017

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I mean it sounds like the weak link here is that we let private individuals and companies own rental properties.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Xand_Man posted:

In the Seattle area? These people are either incompetent or lying, or they paid WAY too much for their property they turned into a rental. Which falls under incompetent I guess.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Peachfart posted:

In the Seattle area? These people are either incompetent or lying, or they paid WAY too much for their property they turned into a rental. Which falls under incompetent I guess.

A major repair or a bad tenant can wipe out years of profits for someone that is not operating dozens of units.

Javid posted:

I mean it sounds like the weak link here is that we let private individuals and companies own rental properties.

Yes I guess the real problem is allowing private property and contracts. The state should own everything and determine where you live and work.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

therobit posted:

A major repair or a bad tenant can wipe out years of profits for someone that is not operating dozens of units.

Man, you mean investment has unforseen risks? Dang, sorry for your lots.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

I have real difficulty imagining a major repair or bad tenant wiping out years of profits from rent + equity value increase in the house. Like, real difficulty. Like, "there is no loving way" difficulty. At least, no loving way that isn't going to involve an insurance claim that will protect them from that, anyhow.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

therobit posted:

Yes I guess the real problem is allowing private property and contracts. The state should own everything and determine where you live and work.

This but unironically

Cactrot posted:

:golfclap:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

I have real difficulty imagining a major repair or bad tenant wiping out years of profits from rent + equity value increase in the house. Like, real difficulty. Like, "there is no loving way" difficulty. At least, no loving way that isn't going to involve an insurance claim that will protect them from that, anyhow.

I look at about 100 tax returns with rentals per month. You can absolutely loose your rear end.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

I look at about 100 tax returns with rentals per month. You can absolutely loose your rear end.

Yeah, I'm sure. "I had to buy this new computer... to run Quicken for my rental property."

"I had to buy this car to drive to my rental property."

"I had to buy this boat to keep an eye on my beachside rental property."

"Look at all this money I'm spending on my rental property!"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

therobit posted:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I was on board, up until the corgi. That's a step too far.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

therobit posted:

are we talking 'lose my rear end' like as if i had a minor to moderate injury or sickness with no health care or 'lose my rear end' like as if i had a really nice car that I covered with the bare minimum insurance and then wrecked while drunk driving

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
people 'lose their rear end' every single day from starting impractical small businesses or through making poor investments, remind me why I should feel more sympathy for those who own property and choose to put it on the market for rent

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

people 'lose their rear end' every single day from starting impractical small businesses or through making poor investments, remind me why I should feel more sympathy for those who own property and choose to put it on the market for rent

I have in laws who rented property for a while. They got the gently caress out when someone used their rental to tan hides and they had to clean it up. Landlording is awful.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

are we talking 'lose my rear end' like as if i had a minor to moderate injury or sickness with no health care or 'lose my rear end' like as if i had a really nice car that I covered with the bare minimum insurance and then wrecked while drunk driving
Poor grandma on her fixed income had some tenants ruin the carpet, so she had to settle for getting the medium jacuzzi. The medium jacuzzi! That's basically living in squalor!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Mid to high five figures loss on a single property in a single year.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Cactrot posted:

Dang, sorry for your lots.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Cactrot posted:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

therobit posted:

Mid to high five figures loss on a single property in a single year.
That's cool, hey did you know the median annual income in the US as of last year was a little over $30k?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbSn6o3ZMtw

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Doing taxes last year only one client was really legitimately losing money on their rentals, everyone else was at the very least breaking even.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Xand_Man posted:

Maybe "owning property" shouldnt be a full-time income. We dont need land-aristocrats. At all.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

therobit posted:

If you mean in the model of "I bought a 5th house and its not making me money above the mortgage when those dirty TENANTS wanted a roof that didnt leak and plumbing that worked!" then gently caress them.

If you mean "I have a paid-off house in Seattle I am slum-lording out to 6 room-tenants but somehow my taxes are higher than the 5000/month I make on a single house" then they are loving lying.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

FRINGE posted:

Maybe "owning property" shouldnt be a full-time income. We dont need land-aristocrats. At all.
Yeah, I bet if we had FULL COMMUNISM NOW we wouldn't have any full-time workers in charge of managing the places where people lived.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

FRINGE posted:

That's my point actually. The political rhetoric (some of which is in this very thread) that conflates small-scale property holders with large scale developers/property managers is pointlessly divisive. A single mother working in a warehouse doesn't become a class traitor because she makes some income off her old condo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The idea that having an extra home you don't need so you profit off people who can't is even slightly normal is incommensurable with "full communism".