Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I fell over on my bike two weeks ago, landing hard on the palm of my hand.

I thought it was just bruised but I occasionally get a sharp pain when I put pressure on it in a specific spot. I fear that I've broken one of those weird little palm of hand bones.

I've kept lifting the last two weeks and I bench/military press feel problematic. Grip strength seems about the same.

My plan is to not see a doctor and keep up my routine until either it heals somehow or becomes much worse to the point that I am in desperate need of medical attention. I'm unironically worried that if I go to the doctor they'll tell me no lifting for many weeks, so I'm just going to keep sticking my head in the sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Thesaurus posted:

I thought it was just bruised but I occasionally get a sharp pain when I put pressure on it in a specific spot. I fear that I've broken one of those weird little palm of hand bones.

I've kept lifting the last two weeks and I bench/military press feel problematic. Grip strength seems about the same.

My plan is to not see a doctor and keep up my routine until either it heals somehow or becomes much worse to the point that I am in desperate need of medical attention. I'm unironically worried that if I go to the doctor they'll tell me no lifting for many weeks, so I'm just going to keep sticking my head in the sand.

I'm pretty much in the "rationalize away the need to see a doctor" phase. Like, my wrist only really hurts when supinated, so I bought some wrist straps and I'm testing what I should be able to still do without aggravating it. Reality is, I'll take tomorrow off and then see if things get better or worse my next workout. Otherwise, not worth making things worse or doing long-term damage.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
When do you guys take deloads? I felt a little weak today but I've also had a stressful couple of days, as well as slacking off on my diet. I haven't had a protein shake in 3 days, which also means no creatine so it's possible that could have contributed to me feeling like my work capacity was down a little bit. Not that it's a big deal it's just creatine, I'm just trying to figure out if my recovery is hosed or not. As far as weights/reps I didn't perform horribly tonight, I got 100x6 on my OHP 1+ set(last PR was 95x8), I just felt blehhh.

My next cycle doesn't start until Tuesday, I'm thinking I'll just try to take it easy and eat well until then, and if I get a workout or two into the cycle and still feel a little crappy or weak, I'm guessing I can just do the deload and start the cycle over again afterward, yeah?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 8, 2017

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

When do you guys take deloads? I felt a little weak today but I've also had a stressful couple of days, as well as slacking off on my diet. I haven't had a protein shake in 3 days, which also means no creatine so it's possible that could have contributed to me feeling like my work capacity was down a little bit. Not that it's a big deal it's just creatine, I'm just trying to figure out if my recovery is hosed or not. As far as weights/reps I didn't perform horribly tonight, I got 100x6 on my OHP 1+ set(last PR was 95x8), I just felt blehhh.

My next cycle doesn't start until Tuesday, I'm thinking I'll just try to take it easy and eat well until then, and if I get a workout or two into the cycle and still feel a little crappy or weak, I'm guessing I can just do the deload and start the cycle over again afterward, yeah?

It largely depends on the programme. The one I'm in has them built in, after the end of the first mesocycle (week 5), after the second mesocycle (week 5) and then the end of the third (week 3). I think you're doing 5/3/1, right? If I remember, it should be every fourth week, after the 1+ week.

If you've got mid cycle fatigue, you could either lower intensity, or maybe just take a few days off and start again fresh.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I dunno, 5/3/1 has so many variations, even with the deloads there are variations. Last time I did a deload I came back weaker, probably because I didn't actually need it. Of course I gained my strength back in like 2 workouts IIRC so it's not a big deal. I think I'll just see how I feel when Tuesday gets here. With my work hours and all the meds I take, sometimes I just have a crappy couple of days here and there.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Thesaurus posted:

I had a similar injury a few years ago, although mine was heavily swollen and pretty unusable for weeks after it happened, so probably more severe than what you have.

Saw a doctor about it, who said there were no visible fractures in the X-ray and I should use the wrist as normal as soon as I could and it would just take time. Took about 6 months for it to stop hurting when doing bench.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I dunno, 5/3/1 has so many variations, even with the deloads there are variations. Last time I did a deload I came back weaker, probably because I didn't actually need it. Of course I gained my strength back in like 2 workouts IIRC so it's not a big deal. I think I'll just see how I feel when Tuesday gets here. With my work hours and all the meds I take, sometimes I just have a crappy couple of days here and there.

I've usually done 3 weeks 531, deload week (70% weights, no extra sets, just work up to "max"), 3 weeks 531, one week off. Now instead of full deloading on week 4, I only used slightly less weight/volume and started another cycle. End of the cycle and my body feels like poo poo and everything hurts. Gonna take a week completely off and get a massage on tuesday.

What should decide how and when you deload is what is enough for you. For some it's just doing less volume. If I take a week completely off and do nothing, it usually takes me couple of workouts to get back into the groove, but that's normal and you should look at the benefits in the long run. Take time off when you feel you need it.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, the more I think about it the more I think I should just take it. I'll probably do the variation where you work up to 1@100% and eliminate supplemental, or maybe still do it but just do 1 or 2 sets of it instead of 5.

I did the 100% variation last time, but I also didn't do it right. I did the percentages right, but I combined 2 days into one, so I only worked out twice that deload week.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I think I should just take it. I'll probably do the variation where you work up to 1@100% and eliminate supplemental, or maybe still do it but just do 1 or 2 sets of it instead of 5.

I did the 100% variation last time, but I also didn't do it right. I did the percentages right, but I combined 2 days into one, so I only worked out twice that deload week.

I think it was Mike Israetel that said the point of a deload is to take it before you feel you absolutely need it, because by that point you're already so fatigued that injury and serious overreaching are much more likely. Better to take it easy every so often than end up having to take time off for a longer period.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Pesmerga posted:

I think you're doing 5/3/1, right? If I remember, it should be every fourth week, after the 1+ week.
Wendler has switched his thinking to a "7 week protocol" were after two cycles you either take a test week so you can set your tm more accurately or an actual deload if you feel you need it. I haven't read 531 Forever yet but that's what I've pieced together from Wendler's posts here and there.

Test week works because high intensity super low volume works as a deload as well.

Dropping volume and keeping intensity the same (except for pulls it drops a bit for those) is what I believe Greg Nuckles recommends.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

This thread is a lot of "boy I done broken my body doing a dumb poo poo, and now it hurts when I keep lifting weights! What gives!!!"

Take a break idiots

Also I broke my body doing dumb poo poo this week, but I still went and deadlifted

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Also I broke my body doing dumb poo poo this week, but I still went and deadlifted

Take a break, idiots

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Thesaurus posted:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Constipated posted:

I almost always dump dumbells after finishing a set of pressing. Only time I don't is when I'm doing a light warmup set or something like that when I can control it easily. I've hurt my front delt before trying to gently put them on the ground, which is no fun. Somehow I've never managed to hurt my weak baby wrists before, sounds lovely man.

You know what you must do.
I put them onto my thighs and then place them on the rack. I only db bench 65s though.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Okay, so the updated 5/3/1 deload is 70x5, 80x3, 90x1, 100%TM x 1 and is what I did last time, and I wound up coming back weaker. So what I think I might do, is a 3x3@90% and 100%x1, and completely ignore supplemental stuff and probably just cut my accessory sets in half. May throw some pushups in, but not go until failure as well. I think I can do 7-9 reps easy @90% TM on my lifts, so the 3x3 should still be pretty drat easy and allow for some recovery.

Also, dumbell bench thrower guy - If you are benching over 100s or something obviously disregard me, but you can bring your legs up in the air so your thighs and the dumbell can touch, then just go down. As long as the dumbell is already touching your thigh when your feet hit the floor, it won't hurt or anything. That's probably what Khorne was talking about.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

and completely ignore supplemental stuff and probably just cut my accessory sets in half.
Considering most of the volume in 531 is from supplemental and accessory work if you didn't cut those out before you didn't actually deload anything.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I can't remember, but I know I didn't go crazy on it during that deload. And I get a good bit from supplemental + extra poo poo now. On the main day, like for Bench, I'd do 5/3/1 Bench, then 2 extra sets of heavier triples and maybe another backdown set, then I'd do the 5x3@90% OHP. And vice versa on OHP day, although sometimes I don't always do those extra heavy triples on the main lift, I might just pyramid back down. So I'm doing around 10-12 OHP and Bench sets a week, so the deload I mentioned should make a difference. As far as last time, I can't remember what I was doing then, I think just FSL stuff. I've only been doing what I just mentioned for 2 cycles now, I thought it might run me into the ground but generally I feel decent and I've been making consistent gains that I wasn't really getting on my first two cycles where I did FSL and 1x a week frequency. That's probably why I lost strength on that deload then, I didn't need it probably.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

This thread is a lot of "boy I done broken my body doing a dumb poo poo, and now it hurts when I keep lifting weights! What gives!!!"

Take a break idiots

but every second I spend not lifting I get smaller

why do you want me to be small?!?!?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

you, twink moron: "make sure to spend lots of time warming up trouble areas, and talk to a doctor if pain persists or recurs. untreated issues can make you miss even more lifting time, and we want to stay healthy and mobile for the long haul"

me, wise mountain: "shoo shoo, gains goblin"

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Doc Hawkins posted:

you, twink moron: "make sure to spend lots of time warming up trouble areas, and talk to a doctor if pain persists or recurs. untreated issues can make you miss even more lifting time, and we want to stay healthy and mobile for the long haul"

me, wise mountain: "shoo shoo, gains goblin"
If you stop lifting for a week or more you're gonna get ridiculous doms for a few days and you'll look real goofy getting up or walking around at work.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Khorne posted:

If you stop lifting for a week or more you're gonna get ridiculous doms for a few days and you'll look real goofy getting up or walking around at work.

Me, soon, after missing a week because I was sick

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

First lifting session since we flooded in August. Feels good.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I'm the guy who parks right on the curb to come in at 5:30 AM five times a week to bench press for five minutes.

I also bring a big bag of food with me every time.

Yesterday it was McDonald's and today it was Waffle House.

I'm not smart enough to make that up lmao what a fuckin hero.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
THink about them salami gains he's cultivating!!

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Ive never done a curl in my life

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Sludge Tank posted:

Ive never done a curl in my life

I was a strict squat/bench/deadlift as my primary lifts, overhead press/bent over row accessory type guy for a long time because I just wanted to make my main lifts go up and didn't care about aesthetics.

I started adding bicep curl/tricep extension supersets for about 10 sets at the end of my Friday workouts a few weeks ago. The pump is insane and my arms have been hugging my sleeves. :feelsgood:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah. Curls makes me feel so vain. But there's really no comparison either.

I just step to the side of the mirrors and face the wall.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Just before my last set of squats (first time back after second time hurting myself) i could feel my back a bit ... so i didn't do it.

I feel whole, but like a twink.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

Khorne posted:

i stopped for almost 2 months and the soreness was immediate :(

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Khorne posted:

I can confirm this, having just gotten back from 3 weeks overseas. Did Back and Biceps and they were sore (and swole :getin: ) for 2 days straight. Couldn't even flex without it hurting. I'm terrified about what Leg day is going to do to me tomorrow.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Khorne posted:

Confirm. Did deads yesterday morning for the first time in about 5 weeks and the pain is magnificent.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

I can confirm this, having just gotten back from 3 weeks overseas. Did Back and Biceps and they were sore (and swole :getin: ) for 2 days straight. Couldn't even flex without it hurting. I'm terrified about what Leg day is going to do to me tomorrow.

You actually have the ability to moderate your workout so you don't suffer so much the first few days coming back

Like yes it's possible to go workout at 50-60% intensity and not be sore for a week

weird but it works

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
And, correct me if I'm wrong, soreness is not a reliable indicator of the effectiveness of the workout.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
the best part about bicep curls is when you hit the bottom of the movement and you squeeze your triceps a little bit so your arms look as massive and beautiful as they'll ever look with the bicep bump and then tricep flex and :gizz:

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

And, correct me if I'm wrong, soreness is not a reliable indicator of the effectiveness of the workout.

RP thinks it is. Not by itself, but as a proxy that if you're sore you probably worked that muscle pretty good.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

You actually have the ability to moderate your workout so you don't suffer so much the first few days coming back

Like yes it's possible to go workout at 50-60% intensity and not be sore for a week

weird but it works
I still get a sore for a week if I do this. Well, my adductors do at least. Nothing else gets that sore.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Sometimes I get terrible muscle cramps in my quads/thighs after biking 50+ miles. Then my legs are sore for 3-4 days after. It's identical to DOMS. Does that mean I'm getting more swole?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

No it means your thighs are eating themselves from too much cardio.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Well I'm gonna do a 100 miler this weekend and then get back to lifting after a 10 week break. Looking forward to having my entire body want to kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Ferret King posted:

Yeah. Curls makes me feel so vain. But there's really no comparison either.

I just step to the side of the mirrors and face the wall.

Here it is, the saddest post on the forums.