Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Apparently they removed the limit, I think they were still worried from the last release. Got two boxes so far, probably a 3rd at destiny tonight. Also six loose packs of SoR which netted me a 2nd quad jumper & krennick, and an extra slave 1 & mismatched z6 die. Pretty decent, I feel bad for whoever buys the rest of it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Picked up 3 boxes of EaW yesterday with a bit of store credit etc., all the goons around me grabbing a full case at a time made me feel better about my life choices though. I quickly realized while there's a number of cards in the set I want to try out, there's a much larger number I could care less about. Pulled two ancient lightsabers which is one thing I was looking for, but got 0-1 of like every other specific card I was interested in. Torn between buying more boxes at a discount and praying/trading vs. just shelling out for the premium-priced singles.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I talked myself out of getting boxes. I'm moving to a place that the nearest game store is like three hours away. Might even get rid of my Awakenings set and just play in TTS exclusively. :/

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Empress Brosephine posted:

I talked myself out of getting boxes. I'm moving to a place that the nearest game store is like three hours away. Might even get rid of my Awakenings set and just play in TTS exclusively. :/

My store got a bunch of boxes in, but I don't know if a single pack has sold. I'm not buying any yet. I have been craving a game of Star Wars dice, so I'm planning on using the two-player set to lure people in and hopefully start a new group. When the starters first came out, I'd used them to get about a dozen regulars, but they all sold their stuff during the Great Drought.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought two of the 2 player sets but haven't even opened them. My gf hates the game rather play yugioh lol. Might try to get new people to play I dunno. TTS is a good stop gap and probably better to get rid of Awakenings before it's rotated out

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I dunno, I only get to play once a week on average, but I like the... tactility of playing with physical stuff more than tts. Girlfriend refuses to play, but the local scene seems to be growing and I've gotten a few friends interested in it, even if they'd rather just play with my cards.

On a different note, I did open two grand inquisitors and I'm kinda tempted to try and make it work even though my guess is he'll just be a worse Vader/x. I also wanna try Hera but I still don't have falcons or black ones, etc.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Trying a sealed format today, pick any of the for starters, restricted to 1 die characters. Open a few boosters, sub cards following normal deck construction with 20 card deck limit. The big issue I have is with as few packs as we opened, I had like... four legal cards for my chosen starter, no characters or extra upgrades to add. Haven't started rounds yet, but I feel like it's gonna be pretty high variance based on what people opened. Maybe choosing a starter after opening could mitigate some of that? That or just opening more packs, but that's a higher buying of course.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

My local store had a booth at UK nationals this weekend and has the top 16 decklists:

https://justplaygames.uk/blogs/news/star-wars-destiny-uk-nationals-top-16-decklists

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
So I've bought my two boxes of Empire at War, and I had the same five of six legendaries in both boxes - but I'm not complaining much because the five were K2S0, Seventh Sister, Master of the Council, X-8 Night Sniper, and Ancient Lightsaber.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

frameset posted:

My local store had a booth at UK nationals this weekend and has the top 16 decklists:

https://justplaygames.uk/blogs/news/star-wars-destiny-uk-nationals-top-16-decklists

Interesting, I'm assuming this is pre EAW, but 2p starter legal obviously. Not necessarily surprised to see 2p Kylo/FN do well, although some of the specific lists in top 16 surprise me and I can't tell if they're techy builds or like, the dude just didn't have two Z6s or whatever. I expected more Funkar & rainbow 9, but maybe people are tired of it.

As to the sealed deck thing I mentioned earlier, it... was okay. I flat out couldn't include like 75% of the cards I opened and only ended up swapping 3 cards into the starter, a scattergun, prepare for war and some random die manipulation. Took 2nd overall, first was running virtually identical to me, mostly the 2p Kylo/Phasma starter with a couple substitutions. I made one dumb misplay with regards to dice resolution vs. claiming, and then missed on literally like... 3 coinflips with 3 rerolls each which sealed the deal. I think he was also more consistent on hitting the Kylo activation than I was. 3rd was 2p Poe/Rey, I didn't really see many non-starter cards in his list either. 4th was another phasma/2p Kylo I think, past that not sure. I saw one dude playing like Cad/2p Kylo and someone playing Thrawn/2p Kylo. Jealous that they opened actually useable characters, even if they probably should've just stuck with the starter chars. This was all specifically restricted to single die as a reminder.
I get why the organizers made the choices they did with regard to format, but I don't think it made for a very good/diverse format overall. I'm not sure what I would actually suggest to improve it going forwards, as every tweak I can think of for the depth of the format makes it less approachable for newer players, which was one of their stated goals. Maybe do away with color restrictions for deck construction? Open like, 1 more pack? Past that, and the buy-in starts turning people off I think. I still really want to find a good draft and/or sealed take on the game.

Devlan Mud posted:

So I've bought my two boxes of Empire at War, and I had the same five of six legendaries in both boxes - but I'm not complaining much because the five were K2S0, Seventh Sister, Master of the Council, X-8 Night Sniper, and Ancient Lightsaber.

Yeah, so... distribution on this set seems super weird. Between prize packs from various release events and the boxes I bought, probably totalling like 4.5 boxes, I got... up to 8 or 9 of some rares (training remote, id9, natural pilot, maybe others? i know I have a bunch of temptation & coordination too), I'm completely missing 9 rares and 10 legendaries still, I have 20 Rends and 22 Thermal Paints which I literally didn't think was possible with normal distribution, but only 2 of some other commons. I basically feel like I opened the exact same box 4 times over with some random loose packs to fill in a few of the blanks. I have a pile of Ahsokas now and an extra ancient lightsaber or two that I'm sure I can trade into what I'm missing, but it just feels really off.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Grabbed my first booster box and pulled a Han Solo, One With the Force, Poe Dameron, Holdout Blaster and Crime Lord. Also got a Rocket Launcher from a pack I bought. Since me and my wife play casually I'm thinking I'll just sell the valuable ones to buy more booster boxes to get as many cards as I can for Deck building.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.
So I've been playing this deck on TTS a lot and it's been doing pretty well. It's done well enough that it's my first published deck on swdestinydb. What do you guys think?

http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/13449/directdamage-2.0

The swap I'm considering making is Plastoid Armor out for Threaten for some extra out-of-hand damage and removal. But Plastoid has absolutely saved my butt in multiple games.

Any thought on the direct damage archetype is helpful. Thanks!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Red Hood posted:

So I've been playing this deck on TTS a lot and it's been doing pretty well. It's done well enough that it's my first published deck on swdestinydb. What do you guys think?

http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/13449/directdamage-2.0

The swap I'm considering making is Plastoid Armor out for Threaten for some extra out-of-hand damage and removal. But Plastoid has absolutely saved my butt in multiple games.

Any thought on the direct damage archetype is helpful. Thanks!

Interesting idea, I've got some comments/suggestions/concerns but I'll keep them to myself until I actually try some games with it as it's a fairly different approach from what I typically play.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

Hauki posted:

Interesting idea, I've got some comments/suggestions/concerns but I'll keep them to myself until I actually try some games with it as it's a fairly different approach from what I typically play.

Awesome, extra testing is great.

I've had a couple of tough runs on TTS lately and I think it's because the mitigation I've selected so far is somewhat conditional in the name of potentially also applying damage (High Ground, Threaten).

I'm really considering gong to Ancient Lightsaber for the heal action, but I'm still unsure. Also, if I use both Ancient Lightsaber and Crossguard Lightsaber I feel like I need to find a spot for Lightsaber Pull as well.

I'll be testing this in person this weekend fir the first time, so I'm excited for that.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

Red Hood posted:

so I'm excited for that.

Well that dream is dead. Don't waste your time.

After losing 12 games in a row on TTS, I've determined it can't keep up Sabine/Rey taking 9 actions in a row or survive Mace/Trooper rolling out 11 damage in one roll and it doesn't burst enough to kill Hera/Maz/x fast enough.

I'm super salty right now.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's your guys TTS name? We should have a goon tournament

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

What's your guys TTS name? We should have a goon tournament

http://steamcommunity.com/id/T7inga/

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

Grabbed my first booster box and pulled a Han Solo, One With the Force, Poe Dameron, Holdout Blaster and Crime Lord. Also got a Rocket Launcher from a pack I bought. Since me and my wife play casually I'm thinking I'll just sell the valuable ones to buy more booster boxes to get as many cards as I can for Deck building.

You should absolutely get two copies of the Two Player Game. All of the chracters are good and there are a bunch of good cards in it. If you wanted to play in a tournament at a store or something you can make two reasonably competitive decks (not going to win the tournament probably but should win some games) with just two copies of the two player game.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Where's the best place to sell cards for this game? I've got a bunch of extra stuff from Awakenings because I bought collections from everyone quitting.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

Where's the best place to sell cards for this game? I've got a bunch of extra stuff from Awakenings because I bought collections from everyone quitting.

EBay's probably your best return, but I know some people have had luck essentially grabbing store credit and turning it into cards they want. I'm not sure how well tcg player works out for the seller, I thought fees were higher than eBay though.

What're you selling? There's still a few cards I'm looking for to finish a play set.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

New starters & base set announced today.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jesus why do they feel the need for new starter sets every wave.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

Jesus why do they feel the need for new starter sets every wave.

I mean, the two player starter is the only new one so far since the game released. This is the first 'base set' they've released since awakenings, but we have yet to see what that actually means.
I'm not opposed to some fixed distribution in a ccg anyway, it offers a baseline & (hopefully) some budget deck options for newer players.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Hauki posted:

I mean, the two player starter is the only new one so far since the game released. This is the first 'base set' they've released since awakenings, but we have yet to see what that actually means.
I'm not opposed to some fixed distribution in a ccg anyway, it offers a baseline & (hopefully) some budget deck options for newer players.

Yeah I feel like more products of the quality of the 2 player starter would be really welcome, it's a strong product.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus that was fast EaW JUST came out.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Jesus that was fast EaW JUST came out.

EaW was 3 months between announcement and release so that may imply a January release for the new set, so 4 months after EaW. 3 sets a year seems reasonable. I'm curious as to what rotations will look like once implemented, assuming the game lasts that long.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

bonds0097 posted:

EaW was 3 months between announcement and release so that may imply a January release for the new set, so 4 months after EaW. 3 sets a year seems reasonable. I'm curious as to what rotations will look like once implemented, assuming the game lasts that long.

Yeah, the last set at least started spoiling like a month after SoR, so presumably on track for a similar schedule. Ditto on rotation. I kinda think they need a bigger card pool, like maybe six sets before they start rotating out though. Also goddamn do I wish this game had a bigger competitive scene/better support.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Hauki posted:

Yeah, the last set at least started spoiling like a month after SoR, so presumably on track for a similar schedule. Ditto on rotation. I kinda think they need a bigger card pool, like maybe six sets before they start rotating out though. Also goddamn do I wish this game had a bigger competitive scene/better support.

Yeah, I think that if Awakenings and Legacies are both "base" sets with two additional sets a piece, that can make a reasonable cycle, so when a third "base" comes out they can drop Awakening.

The game is reasonably popular locally, which is good, always have people to play with at least.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
Our local scene has blown up a fair amount with EAW. I'm hoping for my wallet's sake this next set doesn't come out until early 2018. Might have to go villains only.....

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
For anyone that hasn't played in a while, I agree that EAW is a great time to try it again. Lots of decks feel viable (though you'll see the same few rising to the top of tournament lists, as with most games), at least for local level play. The character and deck options are starting to become wide enough that there isn't just one way to build a deck with a specific character, which is a lot of fun. I've no joke made something like 15 different deck lists since EAW dropped, all of which feel like they could do well in the right micro-metagame. Mono decks are the only ones that feel like they especially suffer due to 2playerKylo, but even still, most two-color decks feel pretty heavily weighted towards one color or another anyway, so I don't think it's a huge differentiation.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Merauder posted:

For anyone that hasn't played in a while, I agree that EAW is a great time to try it again. Lots of decks feel viable (though you'll see the same few rising to the top of tournament lists, as with most games), at least for local level play. The character and deck options are starting to become wide enough that there isn't just one way to build a deck with a specific character, which is a lot of fun. I've no joke made something like 15 different deck lists since EAW dropped, all of which feel like they could do well in the right micro-metagame. Mono decks are the only ones that feel like they especially suffer due to 2playerKylo, but even still, most two-color decks feel pretty heavily weighted towards one color or another anyway, so I don't think it's a huge differentiation.

Yeah, the meta feels way more diverse locally, and while I'm not sure all of these have legs in the long run there are a bunch of viable options right now, covering a bunch of different play styles and character combinations. Hell, even heroes got more than 1 deck :v:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

At least here I feel like the meta is mostly diverse because people don't want to play FN or Thrawnkar or whatever. We'll see how it really is at the next big tournament. I guess people not taking the game too seriously is a nice side benefit of the bad tournament support.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
So I've made it to the final table at the Australian National Championships. Game starts in about 15 minutes, if you search for general games on twitch you should be able to find the stream. I'm the one playing Anakin + Phasma, wish me luck!

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

KongGeorgeVII posted:

So I've made it to the final table at the Australian National Championships. Game starts in about 15 minutes, if you search for general games on twitch you should be able to find the stream. I'm the one playing Anakin + Phasma, wish me luck!
Were you the 7-1 or the 6-2 player going into the cut?
Nevermind, I found a stream at https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180523374

Though it stops before the end... drat.

KO Derf fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 8, 2017

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I was 7-1. I lost in the final sadly. I think I was one action away from a win in both games but I'll have to go back and watch the stream.

It's a big deal because the winner gets their flights to worlds next year payed for which is a lot of money from Australia. I'm pretty stoked to have gotten so close though.

Apparently I missed a chance to claim for lethal in my Thrawnkar match up in the semi final but I won anyway so it was fine.

Overall I'm really pleased with my run!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Hauki posted:

EBay's probably your best return, but I know some people have had luck essentially grabbing store credit and turning it into cards they want. I'm not sure how well tcg player works out for the seller, I thought fees were higher than eBay though.

What're you selling? There's still a few cards I'm looking for to finish a play set.

From Awakenings:
Force Choke
Han Solo 2x
AT-ST
Captain Phasma
Commanding Presence
Luke Skywalker
DL-44 Heavy Blaster Pistol 3x
Padme Amidala
Holdout Blaster
DH-17 Blaster Pistol
Jetpack
General Veers
Cunning 2x
Jango Fett 2x

And a bunch of bulk rares. What are you missing from Awakenings? I might be willing to break up my playsets.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I was 7-1. I lost in the final sadly. I think I was one action away from a win in both games but I'll have to go back and watch the stream.

It's a big deal because the winner gets their flights to worlds next year payed for which is a lot of money from Australia. I'm pretty stoked to have gotten so close though.

Apparently I missed a chance to claim for lethal in my Thrawnkar match up in the semi final but I won anyway so it was fine.

Overall I'm really pleased with my run!

Congrats man, that's awesome. I'll definitely be watching some of the coverage of that when I get a chance, good tournament coverage is few and far between with this game for whatever reason, and all of it's just whatever store or event staff happens to step up. My number one gripe right now is FFG's relative lack of prize support and event coverage, I'd really like to see the competitive scene grow.

BJPaskoff posted:

From Awakenings:
Force Choke
Han Solo 2x
AT-ST
Captain Phasma
Commanding Presence
Luke Skywalker
DL-44 Heavy Blaster Pistol 3x
Padme Amidala
Holdout Blaster
DH-17 Blaster Pistol
Jetpack
General Veers
Cunning 2x
Jango Fett 2x

And a bunch of bulk rares. What are you missing from Awakenings? I might be willing to break up my playsets.

Offhand from awakenings I'm missing 2 Han, 1 force choke, 2 commanding presence. Also an outpost and 2 force trainings, although I'm not in a rush for any of it really. I did a bunch of trading recently to fill in my collection across the board, of course I forgot to enter or track some and ended up making stupid trades for stuff I no longer needed. Oh well.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
So draft is a thing now:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/10/16/rivals/

Having played it a bunch in testing, it is an absolute blast. Mixing hero/villain, more than 2x of a card, etc, you can get some really cool decks going.

To answer the top questions:
Yes it's all legal for constructed
$14.95, 9 dice, 20 cards
Reusable starter

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

pbpancho posted:

So draft is a thing now:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/10/16/rivals/

Having played it a bunch in testing, it is an absolute blast. Mixing hero/villain, more than 2x of a card, etc, you can get some really cool decks going.

To answer the top questions:
Yes it's all legal for constructed
$14.95, 9 dice, 20 cards
Reusable starter

Yeah, this looks awesome and I'm pumped for local events.

Any idea on release timeframe? Same as Legacies or sooner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

bonds0097 posted:

Yeah, this looks awesome and I'm pumped for local events.

Any idea on release timeframe? Same as Legacies or sooner?

I'd imagine around Legacies though, due to the box art matching, but really don't know.