Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
About to play this. Is the DLC worth the full price/essential?

Edit: nvm, it's talked about a few posts back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

clockworkjoe posted:

For Vvulf, I don't remember my exact team but I had a MaA and an occultist. Occultist spammed weakening curse and MaA just protected whoever was going to get bombed. The bombs wound up doing 6 damage tops, so that trivialized the entire fight.

Dang, somehow we all overlooked this strategy, but yeah, that's a really efficient way to neuter Vvulf's bomb mechanic. Weakening Curse is incredibly useful on certain bosses and hard-hitting enemies.

In most cases, I prefer it over Wyrd Reconstruction, especially in Champion dungeons.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Did they patch the thing where if you have a full inventory you can leave a loot window open, click on firewood to initiate camping, and then collect the loot in the newly vacant slot?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Why would they?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Jedah posted:

Dang, somehow we all overlooked this strategy, but yeah, that's a really efficient way to neuter Vvulf's bomb mechanic. Weakening Curse is incredibly useful on certain bosses and hard-hitting enemies.

In most cases, I prefer it over Wyrd Reconstruction, especially in Champion dungeons.

Its the same for prophet fights. Double fun if you take 2 occultists to reduce his damage to -120%.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
So I beat countess and got the green key but I don't think my party can make it all the way to the side loot rooms - low on food and all that. Do the side rooms generate anything unique or just random courtyard trinkets I could grind by killing the stone guardian? Or can I return to countess after killing to get the side loot?

Silent Banana
Aug 24, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

So I beat countess and got the green key but I don't think my party can make it all the way to the side loot rooms - low on food and all that. Do the side rooms generate anything unique or just random courtyard trinkets I could grind by killing the stone guardian? Or can I return to countess after killing to get the side loot?

No unique stuff, just trinkets and regular loot.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
1. What does the number in the centre of the torch slider mean?
2. What buff do enemies get when they shake off a stun?
3. What's the most useful support class if a vestal isn't available?
4. Is it me or is the jester's finale attack not that great given it takes 3-4 turns to wind up with damage boosts?
5. Are higher level heroes always gonna turn down lower level dungeons or is my vestal just a jerk in that regard?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Good questions, snoremac.

Paging Makaris, Drewjitsu, Hannibal Rex, Bogart, Panfilo, Digirat, clockworkjoe or DJF. Your expertise is needed. I'm preoccupied animating stuff for a Lowtax thread in GBS. :(

Will try to give a real answer later tonight.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 11, 2017

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

snoremac posted:

4. Is it me or is the jester's finale attack not that great given it takes 3-4 turns to wind up with damage boosts?
5. Are higher level heroes always gonna turn down lower level dungeons or is my vestal just a jerk in that regard?

1. Which combat round it is
2. You can mouse over that. Usually it's +40% stun resist, but I've seen some odd behavior with higher numbers too.
3. Support, as in healer? Flagellant or Occultist, best with some more backup healing on your team.
4. Yes.
5. Yes. You can play Radiant mode if you want to take high level heroes into low level dungeons, but it'll be mostly a pushover.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

snoremac posted:

1. Either the light level or round number during fights, I can't remember.
2. Enemies and heroes that get stunned get a stun resist buff after the stun clears. This is to balance against getting perma stunned but some heroes like Plague Doctor can still stun enemies 3x in a row with the right gear.
3. Higher lvl heroes won't do lower level dungeons outside of Radiant mode or a random event.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Okay, thanks people :)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

snoremac posted:

1) This is the round counter. However, if you mouse over the torch, you get to see the LIGHT LEVEL that you are currently at. For most playthroughs, you want to keep this above 75 at ALL TIMES. There are minor exceptions (like looting a chest in pitch black) that you'll discover as you play through the game. There are also trinkets/quirks that give you bonuses for having a high light level (these are quite good, as you want to keep the light level high anyway).
2) Stun resist. This is to prevent chain stunning back to back to back ad nauseam(although with the proper trinkets, some of the more stunning oriented classes can basically chain stun until the cows come home).
3) Plague Doctor, followed closely by the Occultist. PD has a double stun to the back 3-4 slots of team monster (which is usually where the bad enemies hide out), AND you are trading one of your party actions for 2 of Team Monster's. Action economy wins fights. The Occultist has the best single target healing in the game...as long as you are lucky. Which I must be, because I've never (all the way through 155 weeks of the entire game, except maybe once or twice...nothing that lead directly to a death, just some tense moments).
4) Jester is not good now. It's a real shame you missed the Finale spam of death (which was loving awesome). No longer, for the Jester plays a tune to which only he hears now, sadly.
5) Yes. With an exception during a special town event.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 13, 2022

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

3) Plague Doctor, followed closely by the Occultist. PD has a double stun to the back 3-4 slots of team monster (which is usually where the gently caress-you enemies hide out), AND you are trading one of your party actions for 2 of Team Monster's. Action economy wins fights. The Occultist has the best single target healing in the game...as long as you are lucky. Which I must be, because I've never (all the way through 155 weeks of the entire game, except maybe once or twice...nothing that lead directly to a death, just some tense moments).

I'm finding the heal/bleed tradeoff with the Occultist is pretty good, and also like pulling back-of-the-pack jerks up front with his tentacle move.

The two most useless classes seem to be jester and antiquarian. I know the latter has treasure bonuses but the only ability outside of combat I really care about right now is scouting. The jester messing with hero placement is too much busy work for me to figure out.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 11, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
there is no figuring out the clown

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

snoremac posted:

I'm finding the heal/bleed tradeoff with the Occultist is pretty good, and also like pulling back-of-the-pack jerks up front with his tentacle move.

The two most useless classes seem to be jester and antiquarian. I know the latter has treasure bonuses but the only ability outside of combat I really care about right now is scouting. The jester messing with hero placement is too much busy work for me to figure out.

The Antiquarian has an interesting role in a VERY specific boss fight. But yes, in 99% of fights, the antiquarian is pretty much dead weight. The occultist was my main healing class throughout 75% (or more) of the game. PD+Occ is actually a very solid 3-4 combo, because the PD can heal off the bleed of Wyrd Reconstruction with battlefield medicine (which is also really good in the cove and weald, due to the prevalence of bleeds).

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

snoremac posted:

It depends on the party setup as well, so you could even have an arbalist patch people up pretty easily. An antiquarian can be alright, but more in a preventative role (spamming protect me) and softening up targets/finishing off weak ones, though you probably want a class or two that can take care of themself if you do take one. Definitely wouldn't call one dead weight, but it definitely is hard to fit into groups without weighing them down.

Jester's are pretty good once you get into the second difficulty tier of dungeons, thanks to their morale heal and party-wide speed buff, while cleaning up mostly dead enemies. If you want to use finale, I'd say throw him into a group that repositions regularly, like with a duelist's advance > point blank brigand so he isn't sitting in rank 1 for very long.

For best support, definitely occultists, especially since they got a huge buff to the ranks their attacks can hit/be used from, giving them a ridiculous amount of versatility in groups, from stuns, to repositions, to straight up shanking people, all while having a potent single target heal. I like using them in any group with a less oft used healer and having them as damage/cc, since they can do everything well it seems (except be reliable while healing, but that's the trade off for their amazing kit). Some people swear by vestals, but I'm honestly not a fan of them because ambushes gently caress their ability to be effective up incredibly hard, which is where most of your expeditions are going to begin going downhill if you can't take control of the situation quickly enough. With occultists, they can use most of their skills from any rank except for a couple of them (sacrificial stab in rank 4 and abyssal artillery is ranks 3 and 4 I think?), so they're always going to be able to do something useful with their turn. Arbalists can shift 2 spaces in one turn, or if you have blindfire, use that if you need stuff to start dying. Antiquarians can just use protect me while everyone moves around them, making one member more capable of taking hits, though they can use almost all of their skills from any rank (barring their heal I think?) so they can potentially help finish off an enemy before they act again as well. Flagellants just don't give a poo poo and are potent in nearly any rank if acting as support.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

The Antiquarian has an interesting role in a VERY specific boss fight. But yes, in 99% of fights, the antiquarian is pretty much dead weight. The occultist was my main healing class throughout 75% (or more) of the game. PD+Occ is actually a very solid 3-4 combo, because the PD can heal off the bleed of Wyrd Reconstruction with battlefield medicine (which is also really good in the cove and weald, due to the prevalence of bleeds).

Could you elaborate re: antiquarian useful bossfight? I can't think of any where she'd stand out. Unless its dlc because I've not played those

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

@Pumpkinreaper,

Yep, I've been bummed out when vestals shoot to the front in an ambush. I suppose that's another good thing about jesters. I've still got mine wasting away on the roster so I might give him another go.

Unrelated note: A selfish or paranoid or whatever hero is the most grating drat thing. I actually got all 4 heroes with one of these traits each and retreated right away. I couldn't have borne them all screaming and stabbing each other and themselves and assume their stress would've shot to heart attack levels within a couple of rounds. Oh and when they refuse to carry out camp relief at the fire but eat the points up anyway. Grrrr.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
An Antiquarian who uses Protect Me on a Riposte HWM will supercharge your damage output.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

snoremac posted:

Shucks, I'm no expert, but I'll give my two cents on the non-fact questions:

First, I think it's important to understand why Vestal's great. I could use more words, but it essentially boils down to being able to pull the whole party off Death's Door, and the way that she scales given both the guild hall and +heal trinkets. Without her, though, I would call the Occultist the best support unit, between his #BigHeals and his debuffs. That said, I wouldn't be too comfy having him be the only person who can heal, given the potential for 0 (Bleed 3) heals. They're rare, but they happen. With him, then, I'd recommend a secondary healer -- someone like the Plague Doc, who can slot in comfortable in Position 4 behind him, or the Crusader, who can dip off from hitting them very hard :orks101: to pop an Inspiring Cry, which for my money is one of the best support moves you can get. It's far better than Battle Heal for the stress relief and torchlight.

I just don't like the Flagellant. He feels too much like robbing Peter to pay Paul, but, like. For heals. Sooner put him in position 2 and use his heals as a fortunate thing that he can pull out when necessary, but not as a primary healer.

Jester used to be decent at nuking a mid-position enemy at the start of the battle and then spending the rest of the battle in the back playing that funky music, but then they changed him to his fiddly, Gathering Power self. Don't bother with Finale unless you really want to use him -- the two buffs, Harvest, and Slice Off are what you should use unless you have a shuffle-based party. In which case, Finale/Solo/Dirk Stab can do some decent shuffle shenanigans.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Coolguye posted:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

double nine posted:

Could you elaborate re: antiquarian useful bossfight? I can't think of any where she'd stand out. Unless its dlc because I've not played those

Fighting the Siren in the Cove. . The game plan is to have the other characters have higher resist than the antiquarian, so she gets nabbed, which makes the fight much easier. I think it's move resist you want to min/max.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

oh yeah. I've never found that boss a problem even with its gimmick so it slipped my mind.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
isnt it debuff resistance

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

You guys knocked it out of the park with your advice, I don't have much to add. :cool:

Tollymain posted:

isnt it debuff resistance

Yeah it's debuff resist for the Siren. Bring as many Holy Waters as you can for the fight. Arbalest's Rallying Flare is also nice, it provides a party-wide 20% debuff resist. You'll probably still get one of your heroes stolen, the easiest way to neutralize them is with a stun.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The mind-controlled hero will use random abilities (even if you haven't unlocked them on the character!) and it is very satisfying when a mind-controlled Dogman pops his self-heal and gets a crit heal on it.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Hannibal Rex posted:

An Antiquarian who uses Protect Me on a Riposte HWM will supercharge your damage output.

This needs to be emphasized: these two heroes work brilliantly together, same deal with MAA using Riposte & Antiquarian using Protect Me.

A party like Antiquarian-Vestal-HWM-MAA (The Collection) will make you a ton of cash and the damage output is always reliable. Here's a write up I did for that party.

Just make sure the Antiquarian interacts with curios/chests for maximum loot.

This hasn't been linked in a bit: Darkest Companion explains what each individual curio does, and how to best interact with it. Also gives some tips on which provisions to bring to each dungeon, it's generally pretty helpful. I don't think it's been updated for the DLC yet, however.

Coolguye posted:

For end-game content, my clown is pretty much permanently benched, unless I take a very Bleed-heavy team to the Warrens, or possibly the Crimson Court. But yeah, he was nerfed into oblivion. At least Jester is still good during Apprentice/Veteran dungeons, you could use him a money-saving stressing heal battery. If you don't mind stalling out fights, he could save you a small fortune as you're getting the Hamlet built up.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 11, 2017

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

snoremac posted:

Arbalest - Universally good. Excellent damage output and reach, -dodge Mark is great for dodgy enemies in Champion mode, Battlefield Bandage provides a useful healing buff. Rallying Flare is situational, but can be great (party-wide +debuff resist, clears stuns/mark, +torchlight). Essential for the fight against Swine God, also great for the Weald or other minions who target your heroes. Powerful camping heals, Restring Crossbow makes her a beast, Marching Plan speeds up the whole party. Can main heal a dungeon if she has proper trinkets. Her CC set is ridiculous, makes her extremely tanky and boosts her healing.

Bring her to any dungeon, she's a flexible healer who can nuke the back positions.

Plague Doctor - This thread loves the PD, the Queen of stuns. She might be my favorite class. Blinding Gas to double-stun (multiple times) the back positions, Disorienting Blast to clear corpses and shuffle/stun a single target.

Battlefield Medicine is always handy for removing status effects and saving a hero from Death’s Door. Noxious Blast and Plague Grenade are solid Blight skills, stack up the Blight and targets melt quickly, great for PROT-heavy enemies like the Ghoul. Incision is an undervalued skill, vastly improved by Bleed parties and certain trinkets. Bloody Herb and her CC trinkets allow her to be viable in a bleed party. Blasphemous Vial is insanely powerful for stunning/blighting/+ACC. Witch's Vial is good for the early game and helps her land stuns. The Stun Amulet is also helpful, too. Hag's Ladle and Prophet’s Eye are also very good for the end-game, too.

Camping skills: Leeches removes diseases off a hero. The Cure removes a disease from the PD. Both useful for saving money and getting rid of obnoxious diseases. Experimental Vapors can be an emergency heal for a party member, Self-Medicate is a decent stress self-heal, good in the early game for boosting ACC.

Awesome in most dungeons, specialist in the Darkest Dungeon, Crimson Court, Cove, and the Ruins.

Flagellant - Thread consensus is that he's pay-to-win and overpowered. Redeem/Exsanguinate are ridiculously powerful heals. Reclaim is the only healing DOT available, it can be used as a "set it and forget it" type skill, and to take somebody off DD.

Suffer is useful for making him tanky & removing status effects from other party members. Endure is a nice stress heal, especially because Lash's Kiss, Solace, and Cure are essentially reset buttons that fix him right up while camping. Punish is his bread-and-butter Bleed skill. Has the benefit of ignoring +PROT with his powerful bleeds, which rocks. I rarely use Rain of Sorrows, because he's got many other useful abilities.

He's crappy in the Ruins, but otherwise this hero destroys any monster that bleeds. Might be the best support class in the Crimson Court, from my experience.

Crusader - Typically I run Smite, Stunning Blow, Bulwark of Faith, and Inspiring Cry. Also, Holy Lance is a powerful skill that decimates enemies in back positions. You can shuffle him back and forth with the HWM, and pull off some fun combos. Also works well with the Grave Robber's Lunge.

Bulwark of Faith makes him almost unkillable with tanking trinkets & armor upgrades. Inspiring Cry is excellent for taking heroes off Death’s Door and maintaining overall party stress. Great camping skills: Stand Tall removes the Death’s Door debuff from a target, Zealous Speech is a party-wide stress heal. Zealous Vigil to avoid the nighttime ambush. If you're desperate for a secondary healer, you can equip his heal, it gets the job done.

With his bonus damage to Undead, he's the King of the Ruins. His stun, stress heal, and extreme tankiness makes him reliable in other dungeons. Biggest downside is that he's got religious restrictions.

Antiquarian - Just wrote about her above. I’ll add that you can run her with Abomination, PD, or Grave Robber and stack up impressive Blight damage. Festering Vapors reduces Blight resist, and Blight ignores PROT. Hide her behind a sturdier hero, and make tons of money looting curios. Strange Powders is a nice camping skill for buffing up resists on a hero. Trinket Scrounge is good in the early/mid game when you’re trying to build a war chest. Leave lots of room in your inventory for her Antiques & increased stacks of gold. Managing your inventory with her is tricky and poo poo gets crowded quickly.

Godly for money-runs, building up your Hamlet, and paying for expensive upgrades. My Stygian strategy was based around getting rich off her quickly, since you have limited time to beat the game. Best when combo’d with a combat class like HWM-MAA-Flagellant, or blight classes like PD-Abom-GR. I usually run: Fortifying Vapours, Protect Me, Nervous Stab, Festering Vapors.

Occultist - As mentioned earlier, Weakening Curse is awesome for reducing incoming damage on hard-hitters (Treebranch Smackdown) and bosses. His Mark has nice synergies in marking parties. Good for nuking the back rows with Abyssal Artillery, great stabbing skill, too. Probably best kept in position 3.

Some praise his heal, but it hasn’t been as reliable for me. I’d suggest pairing him a secondary healer like Arbalest/Crusader, just in case. Sometimes he'll max out your HP with a heal, sometimes you roll 1 or 0 and get hosed. Apply Arbalest's Battlefield Bandage to the target first, then use Wyrd Reconstruction - that seems to help. Also, equip +healing trinkets.

I dislike that his stun reduces torchlight, and requires him to be in the front positions. Daemon's Pull is situational but can be good, clearing corpses and shuffling the enemy party can turn the battle to your favor. Especially good against archers/gunners who have weak attacks in the front position.

While camping, Dark Ritual rocks for removing Death’s Door debuffs. Use Unspeakable Commune to prevent the nighttime ambush. Use Dark Strength to buff up a hero before a boss fight. Typically I run: Abyssal Artillery-Weakening Curse-Sacrificial Stab-Wyrd Reconstruction, and possibly Pull or his Mark depending on the party.

Eldritch-heavy dungeons, like the Cove or Darkest Dungeon, are his specialties.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 12, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Omg I can't believe you can stack blight and bleed. I've been ignoring this the whole time. It changes everything.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

^^Thanks for that write-up, it got me thinking more carefully about building teams to cater to different dungeon types.

So it's not just blight and bleed that stack but buffs and debuffs too. I'm surprised I haven't done worse than I have not knowing this. I suddenly like the jester now. He can cause -24 ACC to all enemies while charging Finale to +100%. Not to mention the stress reductions and decent bleed attack.

Currently my A-team is Hellion, Highwayman, Vestal, PD. The highwayman is fine, but he's only there because his level is high. The fact that he can do decent damage to any position is good, but I'm not wowed by him. I think his bleed is fairly high? I haven't examined all his moves.

My B-team is MAA, Occultist, Jester, Arbalist. They all correspond to each other really nicely, and because of the jester's stress healing I managed two consecutive missions with them.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

stop liking the jester

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

snoremac posted:

^^Thanks for that write-up, it got me thinking more carefully about building teams to cater to different dungeon types.

So it's not just blight and bleed that stack but buffs and debuffs too. I'm surprised I haven't done worse than I have not knowing this.

Yeah, stacking bleed and blight helps a ton against certain enemies, for instance the Sea Maggot (snail enemy in the Cove) has a huge amount of PROT, but relatively low HP. Stacking some blight will take it out very quickly. The same blight strategy works for the Cove's Pelagic Guardian, who will not trigger reinforcements, so feel free to abuse this enemy, and spend some rounds healing/stress healing, and somewhere our friend Makaris will feel a sudden and brief wave of euphoria.

Most enemies in the Warrens, Crimson Court, and humans are vulnerable to bleed, and many bosses are, too. I dunno if you've run into the Collector yet, but blight/bleed stacks will take him out quick. The Flesh boss can be efficiently killed by stacking bleed, too. I dunno how far you are, so I won't list others, but it's generally a viable strategy.

Your A and B teams sound solid. Grab a Dogman or two, if you can, they're one of the thread's favorite classes, and good in pretty much any dungeon. Powerful ranged attack, dog treats, stun, self-heal, stress heal, ability to defend an ally, great camping skills, plus you get to see a dog chew on skeletons.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 12, 2017

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

stop liking the jester

PD/Jest/Flag/Hel is the best team to clear out CC dungeons, fite me. (but not to kill bosses)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

replace clown with non-stunning dog build, everyone benefits

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Whatever happened to the guy trying to do an all Jester run? Did he spontaneously combust?

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Jedah posted:

Whatever happened to the guy trying to do an all Jester run? Did he spontaneously combust?

He became president. Hey-o!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I just read how the hunger mechanic works and I'm not a fan. I thought the frequency might relate to hero stats, but random chance? Time to double my food stocks permanently I guess.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
We have fun in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

snoremac posted:

I just read how the hunger mechanic works and I'm not a fan. I thought the frequency might relate to hero stats, but random chance? Time to double my food stocks permanently I guess.

I went with 18-20-24 for short, medium, long dungeons. I never had a problem, but I also made sure that I knew how to interact with all the curios to get the benefits. I think the ruins you want to bring more food (no food curios), and in the warrens you can bring less food, due to food curios and shorter hallways (which is where hunger checks are made).