Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Happy belated six month thread anniversary!

I've not flamed out and quit this yet, which is impressive for me

Doctor Reynolds posted:

These types of games' obsession with those kinds of maps are so strange to me. They're not compelling challenges to overcome, they're just frustrating slog. Braindead to go through. This is a single player game! Don't waste my time! You already have my money, this isn't a subscription service to pad!

Drakenel posted:

Levels like that are why I couldn't finish the game really. Just so much filler that ensures you have to love the combat system to slog through it all... and I got bored eventually having to fight what essentially amounts to 2-4 random battles between story beats. Sure someone talks in them, but they could be cut out with no loss.

I don't hate them - this map in particular serves a unique purpose, shall we say, in the post game. I just got real loving sloppy.

The map could easily be cut though and no one would loving notice.

mauman posted:

I'm not sure if this is the psp one or the original.

But it looks close enough regardless.

Also, you might be remembering that Levi gets access to buccaneer

Only the white knights, Ravness and one other certain character have access to White Knight.

Thanks for this, I'll go back and fix this... now.

megane posted:

What did Almorica castle do to deserve having every fucker on the island lay siege to it at the first opportunity

As I see it, it's basically a giant crossroads with neon lights saying "invade here"

Sordas Volantyr posted:

You got a busted video tag at the top of the update, there.

Also I finally got aronud to fixing this (saw it last time when I was on my mobile)

tithin fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Sep 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Familiar

"No, I'm totally not planning on flinging rocks at your windows later! This slingshot's for mend leaves! Honest!"

Races: Faerie, Imp, Pumpkinhead
RT: 24 Move: 4 Jump: 2/3 Move Cost: 3/tile
Weapons: Daggers, Cudgels, Spellbooks, Blowguns, 1h Bows, Caldia, Lobber +2
Armor: Medium
Magic: Elemental, Light, Dark
Missile, Instill, Status, Boon of Swiftness, Heal, Spellcharge
Support: Counterattack II, Knockback II, Strengthen II, Fortify IV, Spellcraft IV, Resistance IV, Truestrike IV, Trueflight III, Spellstrike IV, Dodge IV, Sidestep IV, Spell Ward IV, Constitution IV, Insight IV, Expand Mind IV, Channeling IV
Other: Swiftfoot II, Wade II, Reflect Magic II, Absorb MP II Reflect Damage II*
Action: Pumpkin Lure, Guttony, Jack-o'-Lantern
Special: Agonal Scream, Virtuous Dance, Crystal Pumpkin, Coquettish Kiss, Coquettish Kiss, Lingering Kiss, Lingering Kiss, Pumpkin Strike, Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkin Bomb, Selfless Kiss, Selfless Kiss

*use, but can't learn

Familiar is a pure support class, and it actually does this job pretty well. They have access to instill spells and boon of swiftness, but also status spells like Stormspark or Brimstone, even if their Dark spells never get to Deadscream or Dominate for the real fun toys. They get a pretty wide selection of weapons, and they work off of dex so they deal... some damage. Never a lot, but a chip is a chip. Full lobber privileges make them excellent at flinging restoratives, and bombs deal... some damage. They'll never hit very hard but they can do pretty much every other part of a battle. They're frail but it's not that bad for it to be targeted, they're fairly dodgy and it's better than ninjas or wizards getting pegged.

The giant list of specials is certainly daunting, and no that's not a typo, they really have six skills that share names. One offensive version, and one mirrored restorative version. Notable in here is Agonal Scream inflicting Fear, Virtuous Dance hitting Charm way too loving often (at least when enemies hit me with it), and Lingering Kiss draining HP and resetting RT and doing... respectable damage! Crystal Pumpkin is extremely-long range and Pumpkin Bomb hits quite hard at the cost of the Familiar. The damage ones when used by Pumpkinheads work with Empower Golem, which is a secret power move you can have in your pocket. So I guess they can hit very hard in select circumstances.

Familiars are dedicated role-players. Shove one in the back and it'll cause your frontline to do their job better. It can patch 'em up, buff 'em up, and hopefully make that one motherfucker not drop Hydro Lash or whatever. You need your fundamentals in place first, since a support can only augment what you already have going.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 16 - Contact!

And now we move to the Arkhaiopolis of Rhime.

Mixing up the party composition a bit now.

: Is it night already? I hadn't noticed. An error you'll not begrudge a blind man, I pray?

: Think you're clever, do you? Let's have your name!

: Found him lurking in the shadows, Dame Ozma.

: Turn. Show me your face.

: Are you deaf as well? Do as you're told!

: You have me mistaken, my lady.

: Don't be absurd, Hobyrim. Where have you been? Why have you come to Valeria?

Levi is loving done playing around

Meanwhile, Hobyrim? ducks out of the grasp of the Knight

: Spare the swordsman! I want him taken alive!

: We can't let the city fall! Drive them back!

Enemy Composition:

Red
Ozma (Knight Commander)
H. Knight x3
H. Warlock
H. Warrior
H. Archer x3
H. Wizard
H. Rune Fencer

This is actually a tricky mission. The tangential / optional mission isn't too bad (keeping Hobyrim alive) because he has Pre-Empt which buffs his parry chance, and gives him a free 100% damage counterattack if anyone engages him in melee. This combines well with Knockback, because the buff isn't consumed by a single counterattack.

No, it's tricky because statwise the enemies have caught up to us and do as much damage as we do now.

Ozma is also a unique class, Knight Commander, and is probably the best unit in the game, if not one of the best. She has a unique finishing move, is either the fastest in the game for RT, or tied for, and the stats to back that up.

: Over there - those Bakram are chasing someone. To his aid!

: Your eyes.... What has befallen you?

Nice

Needless to say, Pre-empt does diddly loving squat against ranged attacks.

The enemy get the drop on us, doing some decent damage to kick us down a bit.

We're still too far away to heal Hobyrim but thanks to the inherent wade of Valkyries, Ravness can get a heal on him next turn.

Jeunan misses out on the kill because he's dick diddly in the way of skills because he needs SP.

:getin:

Kilmotos is basically a CC bot at this point

The male knight jumps across the water, heals the warrior that Hobyrim eviscerated and then drops a Phalanx to try and block us from getting to Hobyrim.

I really gotta fix up her skills, and Arycelles equipment. Next update probably.

Ozma seems legitimately upset

nice, plus one

And Hobyrim's safe

Arycelle's gone to sleep

When I said that Ozma had great stats, I was't being coy or pulling a double entendre, she just whipped Donnalto for 89 damage - as a regular attack.

HEALBOT heals Donnalto, Male Knight heals Female Knight.

Nice, but not something I'm going to do

Nerraw gets friendly fire'd a bit to secure a kill.

Jeunan gets a bit tankier.

Stonebloom is, iirc, the level 1 2 handed Katana finishing move that comes with an extremely high chance to petrify the target.

Donnalto parries a blow that would have taken his face clean off, just like in that Nick Cage / John Travolta movie Face/Off. Man that was a great movie

IN 1997

here it comes...

Demon Rose, is a Character Unique (Ozma), Weapon Unique (Whip) skill.

It does a shitload of damage (about 190 in this case) and has a stupid high (if not guaranteed) chance of charming the target, which does what you think it does.

Arycelle with the finishing blow.

Ozma bubble hearths away

Lenneth, meanwhile, just can't get that dreamy woman out of her head.

-----------//-----------

: I am Levi Pavel, captain of the Order of Emptyquote.

: Ah. The one they call the hero of Golyat, yes? I am Hobyrim Vandam.

: Rhime is turned battlefield since the Bakram invaded. What was your business here?

: I heard you were bringing the fight to the Dark Knights. I thought to lend you my sword.

: But do not think that makes me enamored of our Dark Knights. Quite the contrary. I revile them.

: You've some score to settle with the Dark Knights?

: Aye. You might say that. What if I told you it was they who stole the light from me?

: ...

: Let me join your struggle, then. Should I prove more a burden than a boon, I will depart, bearing you no malice.

This one's a no brainer. He's the single most important person we need in order to recruit Ozma.

: You would be a welcome addition.

: You've my thanks, then, and my sword.

: Only, allow me one question.

:What might that be?

:The Dark Knight that was after you - the woman. Do you know her?

War Dances are a mostly useless spell school unique to Swordmasters. I don't remember what was in it, apart from a completely useless aoe heal that was even worse than quench, from memory.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

willus posted:

team empty quote strikes again

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Hobyrim has -12 to base RT, tied with Ravness. His base dexterity is as absurd as it looks. He's blind, which has exactly one mechanical effect: Evil Eye doesn't affect him, because he'll never lock gazes with a gorgon.

He doesn't get any special classes, but he doesn't need them. His ludicrous speed and high dexterity lend him to ninja and rogue well enough.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Hobryim's great.

Though Swordmaster sucks in this game (unlike the God of status effects it was in the previous).

Mine's a rogue marksman with a crossbow, cuz a blind crossbow dude tickles my funny bone.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Hobyrim was the TG Cid equivalent of Tactics Ogre SNES/PSX.. Once you had him, you would trivialize every encounter by petrifying (which was a permanent status effect; it'd never wear off on its own) half the map on the first turn. And petrifying the other half on his second turn, which he'd take before most of the slower classes on the map got their first turn. He was absurd.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

FairGame posted:

Hobyrim was the TG Cid equivalent of Tactics Ogre SNES/PSX.. Once you had him, you would trivialize every encounter by petrifying (which was a permanent status effect; it'd never wear off on its own) half the map on the first turn. And petrifying the other half on his second turn, which he'd take before most of the slower classes on the map got their first turn. He was absurd.

Indeed.

And it wasn't too hard for you to turn Denim/Levi into a good one either (I focused on fire with him for stun, not quite as good but still pretty darn good). Turning pretty much the whole battlefield into a slew of statues and/or slackjawed gits.

And they say that law was under powered in the first game :downs:

Oh how the mighty swordmaster has fallen.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Was stonebloom in that game not a finisher? I never played the SNES version

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Just make him a ninja.

Swordmaster in this game is terribad, but Ninja Hobyrim will absolutely destroy anything he gets into melee with.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

tithin posted:

Was stonebloom in that game not a finisher? I never played the SNES version

There wasn't such a thing as finishing moves. Characters had HP, MP (which regenerated with time), and that's it. No death timers or hearts, either. If you were reduced to zero HP, you were just fuckin' dead (excepting for undead and a couple rare special classes that'd resurrect.)

Swordmasters could equip one spell, including status magic which was AoE with a chance to hit based on DEX.
Haborym had extremely high dex and got some sort of bonus for being earth aligned when he equipped the petrify spell (which was just called petrify).

So you'd get a naked unit (to move just before him) to feed him an MP boost to start, then hed get second move. And then the battle would be over.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That sounds broken as hell.

TG Cid has got nothing on a guy who can turn groups of enemies to stone

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

He's blind, which has exactly one mechanical effect: Evil Eye doesn't affect him, because he'll never lock gazes with a gorgon.

Huh. I would have thought there was more in the way of gaze attacks incoming.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I love BMGs!

code:
DEX:  Dexterity.  Each point of DEX is worth 0.5 physical attack points and
0.25 accuracy/evasion points.  Increases at level-up and by 1-3 by picking up
Dexterity Cards.  An important all-purpose stat for fighting classes.
I'm not sure, though. This guide doesn't explain the mechanics for status effect magic chance, and says this (which conflicts with what you and I have known):

code:
 Sword Masters will never miss their targets and are almost as evasive
as Ninja. They're also much better with status magic than any of the mages
are, since success rates for those spells are based on speed.
For some reason I remembered spells being locked to element in that game, so Hobo was always Green (I know, I'm terrible) and thus the status effect was petrify....

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
They say about Hobyrim is that in the Playstation game he looks like Alec Guiness.

And in the remake, he looks like Ewan McGregor.

I look at clips on the original SNES/PSX version, and I just can't see it, but whatever floats their boat.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Andyzero posted:

They say about Hobyrim is that in the Playstation game he looks like Alec Guiness.

And in the remake, he looks like Ewan McGregor.

I look at clips on the original SNES/PSX version, and I just can't see it, but whatever floats their boat.

It's more the robes than anything else.

Hobyrim would a good jedi not make.

And he doesn't really fit the "wise mentor" bit either, because he's not that old.

I think any connections from the olden days that compared him to Obi-Wan was just focused on the robes.

tithin posted:

That sounds broken as hell.

TG Cid has got nothing on a guy who can turn groups of enemies to stone

That's nothing. In the old version, magic became broken as hell in general.

Forbidden magic hit everything on the map. Dragon magic did it without the friendly fire (no items needed either, just mp). Summons were even more broken back then as well, and they were FAR easier to get (as in the game usually handed them to you in the story missions, no post-game or side quests needed), but they were unique so you had to make sure you had a variety of elemental based units to take advantage of them. They also hit 8-10 times :downs:

There wasn't multiple levels of magic back in the old version. Magic behaved based on your stats alone, so your basic (and only*) earth damage spell would start off as one dot, get up to a cross AoE, and then finally the giant circle. Petrify also did this, which is why hobyrim got so goddamn powerful so quick.

Summons also acted in this manner :allears:

And the mp costs never went up from the base value :smug:

*I think there might have been missile spells in the original version (I can't quite remember) but they were almost never worth using since they would always be single target and have to deal with terrain.

mauman fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 6, 2017

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Gotta love a Blind Samurai.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
You could also recruit undead as early as the Krizar battle in the original, and the enemy AI would make a beeline for them to a ridiculous extent. It almost felt like cheating that you essentially got a free decoy unit. They'd revive after two or three turns, so you were never in danger unless an enemy exorcist was present. And on that note, you didn't have to wait for an undead to be "killed" either, you could just straight up exorcise them right there on the dot.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Shitenshi posted:

You could also recruit undead as early as the Krizar battle in the original, and the enemy AI would make a beeline for them to a ridiculous extent. It almost felt like cheating that you essentially got a free decoy unit. They'd revive after two or three turns, so you were never in danger unless an enemy exorcist was present. And on that note, you didn't have to wait for an undead to be "killed" either, you could just straight up exorcise them right there on the dot.

Hence Donnalto's comment about being a bit rusty when he failed to exorcised an undead. In the original, he accomplished it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 17 - Siege of Phidoch Castle

we've a choice to attack the wall head on, or climb the ramparts and attack the back door. I choose that option.

We still have some dead weight with Vyce and ... one of the White Knights (either Gildas or Mirdyn, I don't remember) with us.

Enemy Composition:

Condition(s): Kill Vestiarri.

Red
Vestiarri (Wizard)
H. Cleric x2
H. Warlock
Thunder Dragon
Flood Dragon
H. Knight x2
H. Archer x2
W. Beast Tamer
W. Archer
H. Warrior

A varied and annoying enemy composition. Being a castle map this also carries reinforcements. There's a lot of incidental heals (Vestiarri is a water mage, and uses quench liberally) that makes taking down the two dragons annoying / difficult. Bring a Dragoon.

A proper castle defence. Narrow passageways up, with dragons holding it.

The two sides meet at the burn flowing throw the map, the enemy line is staggered with the dragons hanging back and angling to move east and south to get to our flank.

the enemy supports do their job now. The ninjas will hit your frontline with shadowbind, while their clerics will boon their dps.

Familiar tactics, because we boon our DPS and

debuff their frontline.

Meditate finally levels up from "1" to "2" after using it every time I've had TP to use it since the very beginning of the game.

The enemy ranks have decently levelled defensive skills, which makes killing them vaguely irritating.

Thankfully they're not sleep immune

or crossbow

or bow

The enemy clerics aren't shrinking violets, they will drop heals, and they will stick it out to the end, as opposed to running screaming for the hills like every other time we've fought clerics.

Well, there was that one time they didn't, but those clerics turned out to be comic book bomb wielding super villains.

We don't talk about that fight

We proc Dragonslayer on Jeunan but think better of it. He's too high up to be speared so it'd be a waste of TP.

Ravness cops a crit arrow to the head, and a ninja reinforcement arrives in the fight behind her. He makes a beeline for HEALBOT but thankfully only has a bowgun and a shield equipped.

The crest of the wall is too high, so Arycelle can't counter or attack that Archer on her shot.

Not too high for exploding crossbow bolts though!

Jeunan gets skewered in order to secure a kill.

Donnalto secures a crit from a ~50% chance to hit. Not bad.

The reinforcement Ninja appears to be extremely good at blocking - can't block spells though.

The blue dragon arrives at the frontline at last.

Just in time to get Dragonslayered for half his health.

Frigid blast is the tier 1 finisher for bowguns - it's not good.

The enemy archer jumps off the wall to crossbow HEALBOT, which puts her in range of Arycelle.

Kilmotos secures a kill while Ravness heals herself up.

Pretty sure Lenneth's buff enough to solo this dragon now.

More reinforcements. This time it's in the northwest - a wizard who will contribute nothing to the battle because he arrived on a rampart with no way out for someone with such little jump. Whoops.

Figured i'd murder the ninja first in case he gets lucky with those shadowbinds that he's missed so far.

The purple dragon wakes up just in time to see the blue one die.

While we struggle with their far too resilient frontline, their backline is gathering together.

Oof this is going to hurt

Barely a scratch on Levi, but everyone else had 1/2 to 2/3 knocked off their health bar.

You can see the errant Magi I mentioned earlier in this screenshot. He can't jump up that wall.

it seems to be about 1:1 for deaths to reinforcements

I'm cutting a lot of healing

So is Donnalto

He took one of our cards and succesfully stunned some of our guys :mad:

HEALBOT's taken a major kicking this round. Is there another class you guys would like to see her change to?

Not immediatey clear, but that was an archer shot from the archer above Kilmotos.

Vestiarri is now in kill range.

Just in time, too.

The dragon dies to an errant poison cast by one of those damned casters above. It did exactly enough damage to finish him off. I'm not ungrateful.

Ooh, new codex. I don't even remember what's in this one.

-----------//-----------

: Of course. I did not mean to doubt you.

: You told me he was dead - taken ill in the dungeons of B'Landone.

: Indeed. He was given a funerary rights - a meager ceremony befitting a criminal, but even so.

: So you bore witness to his corpse. Perhaps I was mistaken after all.

: As I have said.

: A private matter. No concern of yours.

: Now now, Balxephon. That's no way to speak to the brother of your betrothed.

: Brother or no, I am your commander. If you've business with me, I would hear it.

: Our front line is breached. It's only a matter of time before Phidoch falls.

: Oh? Am I to flee like the thrush before the storm?

: Nothing of the sort. You are to guard the high champion.

: Of course. He and the princess must be kept safe.

: You have your orders. Go!

: As you say.

-----------//-----------

TO BE CONTINUED... IN THE FINAL EPISODE OF THIS SEASON OF TAC-TICS OG-RE

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Jeez Catiua it's not like he voted Trump or nothin

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Bifauxnen posted:

Gothiua

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Bifauxnen posted:

We're gonna build a wall and make Galgastan pay for it.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

People's names in this game series are absurd.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

mauman posted:

Hence Donnalto's comment about being a bit rusty when he failed to exorcised an undead. In the original, he accomplished it.

He also said he could have done it perfectly about fifteen years ago, or some number to that effect, which was when the original was released stateside.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Knight

"Gonna jab ya, as soon as my turn comes, gonna jab ya something real good..."

Races: Human, Skeleton
RT:36 Move: 4 Jump: 2/3 Move Cost: 4/tile
Weapons: 1h Swords, 1h axes, Hammers, 1h Crossbows, Lobber
Armor: Heavy
Magic: Divine
Heal, Instill, Hearten
Support: Rampart Aura IV, Counterattack III, Knockback III, Strengthen IV, Fortify IV, Resistance II, Truestrike IV, Trueflight III, Spellstrike III*, Dodge IV, Sidestep III, Spell Ward II, Constitution IV, Inisight II, Expand Mind II, Channeling II, Tactician II
Other: Parry, Deflect, Overpower, Sanctuary, Absorb MP II* Reflect Magic II*
Action: Guardian Force, Sanctuary Shadow, Phalanx, Rampart Shadow
Special:

*use, but can't learn

Knights are a frontliner class, but focused on defense. Rampart Aura, Phalanx, and their natural meat make enemies fail to kill them and they're stuck there while squishier units behind the knight can do the real work. In theory.

There's the ol' tactical RPG problem of the player being on the offensive. Battles start with your guys in their little 3x4 box that Deman must think is downright erotic, and the enemies spread out all over the map. Despite superior numbers, the enemy can't concentrate on a single spot like you can. So instead of it being 12 vs. 16 it's 12 vs. 4 four times. When the enemy uses a Knight to command a chokepoint, it allows its scattered troops to converge and beat you down through attrition. It goes back to action economy. By staying on the offensive, you prevent the enemy's forces from effectively acting their number. Knights have the second-highest RT of any class, and their weapon selection tends heavy. They aren't too good at using their weapons for damage, at that. Their support is a bit thin, having only regular Heal, one status cure, and (the admittedly great) Instill Light. It's okay but besides the one damage buff, it's things Field Alchemy can do.

Phalanx is a drat sexy ability, reducing damage to 1/10th, but the AI notices it and will target around it. If you can set it up so that the Knight's the only target, the enemy will still act on its fetish of doing things and crash itself like waves on a rock - with damage to match. Sure, this often results in the knight getting double-turned, but they'll usually just crash on it again, filling TP back up to Phalanx again. At level 3 and 4, Rampart Aura is downright insane. Like Wizards and Warriors, the Knight gets outdone by special jobs. White Knight pretty much bills itself as a superior Knight and while it lacks Phalanx and Instill Light, Velocity Shift is so grossly absurd that it doesn't much matter.

Knights are yet again okay, but their role isn't that necessary and they don't do much besides it. If you like 'em then they won't fail you, but you gotta go in knowing that you've got this class that's working a bit contrary to how the game flows in practice.

The enemy using Phalanx will never not be the ultimate gently caress you, mind.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, at least we're a little more wary about sudden sword-betrayals than we were earlier in the game. Nice dodge!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The last fight of chapter 3 came in at a loving massive 382 screenshots.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 18 - Siege of Phidoch Ward

On the last Episode of Tactics Ogre

Continuing where we left off..

: Everything is in order, my lord. Come, you'd best be on your way.

: Of course.

: Ozma awaits you without. Oz and I will handle this.

: See that you do.

: Catiua!

: We must be going, Catiua.

Condition(s): Kill Balxephon and Oz.

Red
Balxephon (Knight Commander)
Oz (Knight Commander)
H. Templar x4
Iron Golem
H. Terror Knight
H. Warlock
H. Knight
H. Valkyrie
H. Witch
H. Archer
H. Cleric

This is a hard fight. The enemies are tanky as poo poo, your damage dealers will only do significant chunks to the squishies, while their tanks will absolutely gently caress your tanks up.

The enemy uniques are strong as hell, and fast as hell, and will go out of their way to gently caress you. Map control is essential. Have units with rampart aura. Bring heals. It is your friend.

Very first move of the game goes to Oz. This shouldn't be a surprise. Knights are slow, and Knight Commanders have the same RT as Ozma, who is also as fast as gently caress.

If Levi were any other class than Knight, him being isolated from the rest of the party would be a real issue, him being a Knight right now plays to our advantage by putting a big loving stop sign between that part of the enemy party and our other line.

Oz is a two handed axe user - at level 5. Both he and Balxephon will be using level 2 finishers, to our level 1. Knight Commanders also have the cast skills and stats to go with the mele skills, such that their casting is usually on par with dedicated casters.

Think back to our last fight with Ozma and remember that she was only doing a little less damage than Nerraw with her spells - a generic who's had more than average number of intelligence cards to boost his damage.

Where Ozma is offensively focussed, Balxephon is defensy / supporty. He is tanky, but no slouch at all in the physical offensiveness department. He can also cast fire, but he from memory doesn't have augment so he hits less hard with it than Oz does.

He does however, use a loving Trident as his weapon.

Turn 2, and Balxephon starts to talk poo poo

: Not to mention the notches in your blade!

: To think you've killed my captain, my liege

: ...and all those at Balmamusa.

: Why, I might even consider letting you minister here in Valeria. In our name, of course.

: Don't waste your breath telling me of the stains on my shield. I know them all too well.

: But know that I will not let Lodis take these isles. Her peoples will not abide you!

: And I see you are at peace with your own baser nature! Marvelous!

: One could hardly ask for more in a ruler. For who can deceive others who cannot deceive himself?

: No. We cannot dwell upon our missteps along the path to domination. A bit of repentance, a touch of regret, perhaps.
: But do not shed a tear for the wretches - let their wounds weep for them. These things we do are necessary. The pruning of ill-formed branches, that our children might enjoy the fruits of our labors, yes?

: This is the heart of the conqueror! This is you!

Donnalto does practically nothing to the Golem. He will not be allowed near it, moving forward.

: Was it mercy robbed me of my sight? Mercy that killed our father?

: You've traveled a long road for your revenge, brother. You question my mercy? In truth I question it myself!

: I gave you the chance to begin anew, and you tread the same old tired steps back to where you began.

The Dark Knights classes are "hidden" as they all use the same sprites, excepting different colours. The red one at the back just had a very succesful poison go off that hit Kilmotos, Donnalto, Ravness and their own golem.

As well as a succesful stun bomb..

And weaken..

Our arrows are very succesful too

So we know there's a knight, or a cleric in there.. I dunno, I didn't look at their configuration before starting the fight.

Try to sleep the golem, he's too bulky to quickly focus fire to death but it misses :smith:

The Golem gets two lots of heals bringing him back to full :smith: at this point I choose to make him a lower priority than the humanoids.

I turned Hobyrim into a ninja at the prompting of the thread readers, but he lacks the SP to learn dual attack at present, so for now he's just going to thwack people with one sword instead.

The enemy casters and archers are quite smart about using height to their advantage.

Aw hell, the Cleric just boon'd Balxephon. All hands on deck.

Oz is not immune to slow. This is good.

Height means nothing to a cross bow. So long as they're not shooting straight up and over a cliff, a crossbow can usually hit their target, as evidenced.

Kilmotos uses Fear attack - the debuff fails to land, but it does knock Oz back.

Whole lotta Donnalto backstabbing going on here. He's taking a real kicking.

Jeunan honestly could have not been here for someone more useful, like say another archer, but he's tanky and we need that right now.

Balxephon has entered the battle.

The Raven eye from the golem only hits Ravness. Both Jeunan and Canopus avoid it.

: His Sister? The Dark Knight! The resemblance is striking.

I personally think Levi's on crack if he thinks those two look alike, but that's just me.

: Ah, but how best to thank you?

: A meal perhaps? I'm quite the chef, you know.

: I'll tell you my secret. Preparation is everything. A silver fork, a silver knife...

: First, I'll cut off both your arms. Run the left through with the fork, and the right with the knife, I believe.

: And for the soup, Molten Lead goes down best. I'll slice your neck and pour it down your throat, so there'll be no need for a spoon.

: Then, I think, a thin cut of flesh from your back. Raw. Bleeding. You like steak, no?

: And next --

That bit's not in the script, it just started generating while I was playing, and then showed photo realistic versions of my dead cat.

Knew I shouldn't have had Gildas playing pocket healer, as Oz then bumps him in the face for near 2/3 of his health with a basic level fireball.

Ravness is down to 4 hp.

we're getting there, in slow and bloodied steps as the enemy cleric drops a major heal on the enemy party.

In all seriousness though, half the conversations in this fight aren't recorded in the script I've been following to ease the writeup of this LP.

: What is he talking about?

: Balxephon. That boy is none other than the Abuna Prancet Pavel's son.

: Hmm, thus his ardent temperament.

: Boy! I cannot reveal your father's whereabouts... but I will tell you he lives.

: Why do this? What reason could you possibly have to hold a mere Abuna?

: Our reasons are for you to discover, as you doubtless will in time. Though information comes with a price.

: Not as dear as the price you'll pay for this.

: The boy has spirit! I approve!

Levi skirts behind Kilmotos to double stack auras and slow the pressing of the enemy frontline to our support, and to heal Ravness who's absolutely been smashed by the enemy party.

Balxephon is no slouch, but nor is his brother, as he and Canopus sidestep Balxephons assault to take out the errant Cleric that has been healing and booning our foes.

We are going to start working over Oz now, given that we've wiped out most of his healing support. That doesn't mean poo poo though because they hit like trucks and are more than capable of taking out people, as I am about to learn.

HEALBOT gets her first Major Heal off in what feels like forever. I'm actually needing the healing right now.

: No, Oz. Though I remain as sightless as those creatures which crawl through the earth.

: You do much resemble a worm, yes. How my sister recognized you, I haven't the faintest idea.

: She knows nothing of what happened, does she?

: Aye, for the criers declared you imprisoned for treason and perished in captivity.

: My sister tried to free you, you know.

: If only you had not so pigheadedly refused to serve Loslorien in your trial.

: You remember? Your own advocate -- whatever was his name? -- pleaded with you to reconsider, but you would not listen.

: Your jurors were well ready to absolve you, had you only said the words. You could have walked free.

: And why was that, I wonder. Ah, perhaps because my dear sister bought every man in that room!

: All her efforts... for naught.

: In her eyes, you died that day.

: She did this?

Ah gently caress.

Cool, welcome to level 2 finishing moves. Ravness and Donnalto have really taken a kicking this fight, huh?

I forgot to capture this, but that was a counterattack that did more damage than the original shot.

Trash mobs are still trash mobs.

: Mother? You poisoned our mother, Balxephon!

: Hmm. You're well informed. It seems that your rebellious friends linger yet in the empire.

: You slew the senators, you slow our Lord Father, and you call me the Rebel!?

: You tricked those fool abbotts into lapping up your envenomed words and made a marionette of the high priest.

: Blind as I am, I can see how you led the people to war in the name of god.

: And you expect me to flee? to hide? you are an ogre of Lodis in the flesh, and I cannot suffer you to live!

: You are a fool if you cannot see the good we have done for Lodis. The wrongs we have righted!

: The senators were a contagion upon the republic; it was but one pace from death.

: Ours was a harsh leeching, yes, but had we left our homeland to fester the Bolmoccans and Xenobians would have rent her asunder and kept the pieces.

The fighting resumes

Balxephon skewers Levi and Jeunan for a decent chunk of damage on Jeunan, whos is technically still underlevelled (level 13 versus level 15, so he takes a bit extra damage and does less to opponents)

Nerraw claims another scalp.

loving hell, the crit counter did as much damage as Donnalto did with his dual attack.

We bust out the big guns because we need Oz to die fast.

: Fleeing, you coward? They say the feeblest hound barks the loudest, and now I see it to be true.

The one good thing about Golems is that they have dick all chance to hit, normal melee hits are like, 25%.

Yeah, Oz is actually dead. He didn't teleport out. He dropped a Justice card.

I like that Levi basically goaded him into not fleeing and it got him killed a result.

I just felt like being poetic, and let Hobyrim grab the card.

Jeunan lives through this level 2 finisher. Hobbled reduces your move speed by 1? tile in all directions.

That might be the worlds saddest finishing move.

And the archer goes down.

Donnalto binds the Warlock or whatever the gently caress the guy is to stop him from legging it and extending the fight.

Ravness is knocked out - again, and Kilmotos is crit knocked next to the golem.

Tried to see if Jeunan could do some damage to Balxephon, but his HP is too low to not die on the counter, so I mend leaf instead.

Kilmotos is down.

Finally the golem dies.

The last cleric dies.

Donnalto gets a little tankier.

I've said it before, Balxephon is no slouch.

Hobyrim really got vengeance this day. He also got justice, the card.

End of Chapter 3 Law

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
They really amped up Balzepho'sBalxephon's personality to be a real Hannibal Lecter type in this one. And he's only supposed to be 38?

And speaking of that, I've seen these scenes before, but I never considered that Oz might as well be the, "It puts the lotion on its skin," guy in this battle.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

It takes a lot of CHARIOTing, but Oz drops some really cool gear this fight at higher levels.

One of the items is the Alluring Corset because Oz also likes to feel pretty.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Balzephon doesn't even appear in battle in the original.

I forget, because the final battle of 3N, 3L, and 3C all differ slightly. But I think you fight an Oz/Ozma tandem in the original. And kill both of them; Ozma's not playable either. Nor does she have any redeeming personality traits; she's just as sadistic as her brother.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Balzepho wasn't an enemy in the original, period. There's battle data for him, but it's all bugged the gently caress up. The Oz/Ozma duo is fought in the Ch3C finale, but she straight up dies at the Rhime battle we just got past. No extended role for her, just really passionate about doing her duty and for the fatherland and all that. It's funny too, because she recognizes Haborym all the same and makes a big deal out of it like they were BFFs before and she is clearly out of the loop as to what's going on, but nothing more. Her death quote is a standard, "Oz, avenge my honor!" and all that, nothing special.

And while she's your standard enemy commander in the original, she's never as sadistic as Oz, because that son of a bitch captures and rapes an enemy commander for shits and giggles. Surprised we haven't seen it yet, it happens in Law after all. I don't think Barbas, who invades Rhime looking for a fight with Hamilton, is ever shown to be that much of a freak.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

waah posted:

It takes a lot of CHARIOTing, but Oz drops some really cool gear this fight at higher levels.

One of the items is the Alluring Corset because Oz also likes to feel pretty.

The Alluring Corset and Alluring Boots are level 30 male-only equipment with relatively awful defensive stats but 15 luck and a status immunity each. Worse than the wyrmscale stuff you should be drowning in at that point, not to mention the elemental augmenting gear is starting to come in. Of course, Oz drops these once he's level 30.

There are female equivalents, the Alluring Dress and Alluring Highboots, that have the same defense, luck, and one status resistance, but come with Int and Mind boosts, useful in that Valkyries don't really have much else to help their Int and make up for the defense with HP Infusion. Can you guess who drops these?

Gousin, the guy from this update, but only if you take dialogue option 2 with Catiua.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Shitenshi posted:

And while she's your standard enemy commander in the original, she's never as sadistic as Oz, because that son of a bitch captures and rapes an enemy commander for shits and giggles. Surprised we haven't seen it yet, it happens in Law after all. I don't think Barbas, who invades Rhime looking for a fight with Hamilton, is ever shown to be that much of a freak.

It has already happened, it's just in one of the few cutscenes that are exclusive to the Warren Report, and not shown in the main story.
Essentially at this point in the Lawful route, Oz/Ozma have already hosed up the BLF and unlike in the other routes, our crew is too late to save them leaving Selye to getting raped to death by Oz.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Shitenshi posted:

They really amped up Balzepho'sBalxephon's personality to be a real Hannibal Lecter type in this one. And he's only supposed to be 38?

And speaking of that, I've seen these scenes before, but I never considered that Oz might as well be the, "It puts the lotion on its skin," guy in this battle.

No one with that much grey in their beard is 38.

Shitenshi posted:

From memory this happened in Chaos chapter 3.

I'll go back and check the timeline though just in case I've missed something but I don't think I have.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
No, 3C is where you arrive in time to save her (in an optional battle) against Oz. She then joins automatically. As a side note, this is the only chapter 3 route where you can kill Oz off early and not be forced into a tag team boss battle at the end.

In 3N, you're ALMOST too late and she has been captured and "charmed" by Oz and you have to save her dumb rear end as Guest unit...after which she ungratefully refuses to join your party until Chapter 4 when you have to do a sidequest to recruit her.

In 3L, you're in the wrong places at the wrong times to save her and the game never even shows her fate unless you check the Warren Report.
You still meet Haborym and Ozma in Rime in the original game, but Ozma doesn't give that much of a reaction to Haborym except "Huh..." and tries to kill him nonetheless. You're also forced to kill her in the battle.

Other than Vyce, she's probably one of the most extreme examples of character fates diverting wildly depending on the path.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 10, 2017

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Sounds like I've missed something then!

Add that scene back in to where it would be

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I think I missed some of the dialogue in this fight.

Neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Shiki Dan posted:

No, 3C is where you arrive in time to save her (in an optional battle) against Oz. She then joins automatically. As a side note, this is the only chapter 3 route where you can kill Oz off early and not be forced into a tag team boss battle at the end.

I know that battle exists, but doesn't Oz just bail after you kick his rear end, and you still have to fight him and Ozma at the end of Ch3 C? Funny enough, if you bring Haborym along, Ozma will show no reaction whatsoever. This really was just yet another Law exclusive thing.

Shiki Dan posted:

You still meet Haborym and Ozma in Rime in the original game, but Ozma doesn't give that much of a reaction to Haborym except "Huh..." and tries to kill him nonetheless. You're also forced to kill her in the battle.

I just checked the SFC Law Battle with Ozma dialogue, and it's funny, because her reaction to Haborym being alive is almost word for word exactly what happens here, until the battle begins and then all that talk of what could have happened to him and her sympathy, is just not there. Makes me think this was something that was planned to be in the original SFC game, and not something added on to spice up the remake.