Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JoshTheStampede posted:

So Neophyte Hybrids come in two kits: one completely unique and one of Cadian bodies with GSC heads.

No one will have an issue with me using the latter at IG infantry squads as long as my actual Neophytes are all the unique bodies, right?

Yeah, as long as there is a clear visual distinction to match the rules, no one worth playing will mind.

Crazy Ferret posted:

I've had really good experiences with my autocannons. I've been running two guard squads with flamers, autocannons as the first speed bump/objective grabbers to good effect. Decent range, two shots, and the 2 DMG is usually pretty useful. Use the Str 7 is a bit of a bummer against Marines I agree, but it will threaten just about everything and the 2 dmg is gold against the rise of Primaris. Its also handy to start working on vehicle degradation.

It is a solid all around weapon that I really like with basic Guard squads that tend to move. I save my Heavy Bolters for weapons teams and the Lascannons go on squads in the back.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I have 6 for infantry squads and 6 for heavy squads, and often use them, they do alright. But I almost always shoot them at vehicles or monsters, so except in the case of necrons and their hyper-bullshit quantum shielding, I genuinely think missiles or lascannons are superior. It is fairly close and I have no plans to change my models; I just would have liked to see them at, say, 12pts, and missiles at 18. They've rightly moved away from increments of 5pts in all war gear, which was a thing for a while, so there's no need for this inflexibility in guard heavy weapon pricing.

Phyresis posted:

I just want to run a bunch of Russes and big blobs of cannon fodder Guardsmen so I'm glad that the Codex supports that playstyle. I love the fact that all sorts of fluffy lists look to be viable to some degree or another. Now I just need a few hundred dollars to spend on tiny plastic normal men.

Conscripts really were too good and they still are.

Chimeras got shafted so that they can move more Taurox kits.

Autocannons kind of suck this edition. They don't double out T4 and they don't have great AP, but they're decent against Terminators and other 2 Wound models, I guess.

Dude, russes, playing catachans, are sick. I was a bit lucky, sure, but my lr battle tank fired 11,12,10 shots over 3 turns with his main turret. Almost all wounds bounced because I was targeting a plague crawler, but holy gently caress. Artillery would be sick as well, basilisks are great.

Going to make a load more power weapons Sgt's and some officers, time to catachan the gently caress out of people. Fix bayonets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
This is my first army, and what I've been working on over the past four months.

Hobby owns. Miniature painting owns. Everything owns. I've never had as much fun in my life.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

That's the good stuff. Nice work Thanqol.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Finally finished my Guilliman, changed it up a bit from the 'default' look (I really hated all that gold swirly poo poo, and didn't think he looked particularly Ultramarine-y) and I think it was for the better, but still gently caress this fiddly rear end model, there's such a thing as too much detail where it just becomes a chore to paint.

That looks really fukken good, so good it camouflages his chicken legs. :discourse:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Test model for my Tempestus Scions:

I really like the bright blue on this dude. Some appropriate shock and awe for the ten minutes they'll hit the table before someone blows them away. Should contrast nicely with my German-grey regular Guardsmen as well.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 8, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

I really like the bright blue on this dude. Some appropriate shock and awe for the ten minutes they'll hit the table before someone blows them away. Should contrast nicely with my German-grey regular Guardsmen as well.

That looks amazing. What head is that? Any other custom bits?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

All straight out of the box. There's two sets of heads in there, bare heads with berets and the enclosed helmets. Thanks!

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Genghis Cohen posted:

Dude, russes, playing catachans, are sick. I was a bit lucky, sure, but my lr battle tank fired 11,12,10 shots over 3 turns with his main turret. Almost all wounds bounced because I was targeting a plague crawler, but holy gently caress. Artillery would be sick as well, basilisks are great.

:staredog:

That's a lot of shots. Plagueburst Crawlers are insanely durable and powerful; I'm gonna really need to stack lascannons to deal with them, no room for crappy autocannons against that type of poo poo. At least I can replicate the Catachan doctrine with the Canadian Tank Order. Foetid Bloat-Drones are pretty good against Guard as well and I expect to see them on the table regularly, so I figure I'll need plenty of S8+ shooting as well. Knight Commander Pask seems like an obvious choice for the kind of list I want to make and I think he'd be best in a Leman Russ Punisher. Actually, if I'm reading the Tank Orders ability correctly, he can now issue Orders to his own Russ, as it should be. It was kind of absurd that he couldn't Order his own crew around and they seem to have rectified that.

"Tank Orders: Knight Commander Pask can issue orders to a friendly CADIAN LEMAN RUSS at the start of your Shooting phase. To issue a tank order, pick a target LEMAN RUSS within 6" of Knight Commander Pask and choose which order you wish to issue from the table to the right. Each LEMAN RUSS can only be given a single order each turn."

Hopefully this is intended and they don't change it via FAQ. In that case, I may put him in a different Russ, but I'm not sure yet. Either way, I gotta get that high strength shooting in there, so a regular Leman Russ Executioner with plasma cannon sponsons and a hull-mounted lascannon seems like a good pick. The only iffy thing about Executioners is that they can only be given an Order once a turn. If they've been Ordered to Pound Them to Dust! they'd have to have not moved that turn in order to reroll 1s (Canadian doctrine) since they cannot be issued the Gunners, Kill on Sight! Order as well. I also really want a third Russ but jeez, most of the main turret weapons are still so awful. I think a bare-bones Leman Russ Battle Tank is the best option here, costing a mere 150 points, or 162 with hull-mounted lascannon. The Executioner plasma cannon turret costs the same and has 1 higher AP and more reliable damage but it is has shorter range and will inevitably suffer from mortal wounds if it fires 2D6 shots via Grinding Advance.

Another tank setup I'm considering now is Pask in an Executioner and two vanilla Battle Tanks. I was considering adding heavy flamer sponsons to the Battle Tanks but 34 points is pretty pricey for weapons I don't see firing very often given the Conscript blobs that will be screening them.

At least one lascannon Heavy Weapons Team seems like an important pick, so I'm adding one for now, but I'm torn between Basilisks and Manticores. I currently own one of each so I guess I'll throw them in there for now. How exactly does the Catachan doctrine interact with the Basilisk's "roll two dice and discard the lowest" rule, anyway?

Astropaths with laspistols are only 15 ppm and very powerful for their cost. 15 point psykers with access to very strong powers and an built-in passive that makes your shooting better? I don't think I can bring enough of these, tbqh. Two minimum. After that it's Conscript blobs, Commissars, and enough Infantry Squads, Sentinels, and a couple HQs if I'm trying to fill out a Brigade.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Catachan lets you re-roll any 1 dice used to determine random attacks. My reading for the Basilisk rule is that you'd roll 2D6, then re-roll the lowest, then discard whichever was the lower of the two you're left with.

Catachan Basilisks are legit, basically.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I had a hilarious situation yesterday fighting my Tyranid friend with my Death Guard

My plaguecaster got up nice and close to his hive tyrant, and managed to pull off a smite roll on a 11, which meant a d6 AND he also pulled off a 7+ that activated the extra +1 mortal wound. So, when I managed to roll a 6 on that d6, the hive tyrant got SEVEN mortal wounds, leaving it with only two wounds left. Next round he charges my plaguecaster with his shrikes and kills him on the spot, while his heavily mutilated hive tyrant charges my blight drone. The drone rolls poorly on overwatch and only scores one more wound on the tyrant, but the tyrant manages to kill off the drone, which only has a few wounds left after losing them earlier on.

So I used Putrid Detonation to make sure the drone automatically exploded and killed off the hive tyrant and he just gave me a thousand-yard stare

:)

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

GW just posted a "which is your favourite Craftworld?" thing so I'm guessing that's Eldar next.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

It's still funny to me when someone's autocorrect changes Cadian to Canadian.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

panascope posted:

It's still funny to me when someone's autocorrect changes Cadian to Canadian.

Autocorrect? 🤔

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Phyresis posted:

Autocorrect? 🤔

The US is basically the Eye of Terror so this checks out.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

With all the new Death Guard models what's going to happen to all the ancient metal plague marines

Is there gonna be some ginormo eBay sale on them because they don't even remotely fit the new aesthetic

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Corrode posted:

Is this a Rogue Trooper? :hellyeah:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Is this a Rogue Trooper? :hellyeah:

It wasn't intended to be but that's a brilliant coincidence.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Locally, IG with manticore and scions, especially with the new codex, have seemed game-breakingly good. Being able to shoot 2d6 s10 no LOS shots over the entire table with a +\- 135 point tank, and then the scions drop in and delete a few units, is pretty demoralizing to watch.

As dark elves, I can drop in a bunch of suicide dark lance scourges and try to cripple the artillery turn one, theoretically, or throw a bunch of planes at them, but most other factions don't have that option, and this is versus an unoptimized list with no conscripts, command squad spam, Celestine, etc.

Kind of concerned about the 8th ed codex balance right now, which sucks because I've been having a good time painting 28mm models for the first time since 4th.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
On one hand I'm glad Russes are good again.

On the other hand facing a list that contains 6 russes, 3 basilisks a demolisher and one command executioner is kinda a slog.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Um

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ_wMHjlzjv/

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
🙊 indeed.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Oh

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
:vomarine: jesus

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Ah yes, the most debased act a adherent of Slaanesh could indulge in.

Buttstuff.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Doesn't look like there's much room for sodomy to be taking place under that emoji :airquote:

Warboot
Dec 13, 2012

Snuff films...Ya know, for kids!

Killer_Bees! posted:

Got a game in with Morty and the boys against some of my mates sisters today. Morty and the bloat drones carried the match, holy poo poo his scythe is crazy, he murdered so many nuns and nun tanks! Like the chat in this thread has been saying the drones are MVP every time I bring them out. I even managed to down a wounded Celestine by baiting her into changing a drone and drowning her in overwatch acid :barf:

Here are some pics from my half finished army, I gotta pull my finger out and completely paint it all before the end of the month for and event hah!

Those are looking fantastic! I ought to get around to painting up my chaos stuff but I fell back into the WoW trap recently and haven't been able to climb my free time out of it. I really want to pick up morty but heck is he expensive and I shouldn't buy him unless I can devote some time to painting him.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

ineptmule posted:

Doesn't look like there's much room for sodomy to be taking place under that emoji :airquote:

Yes, he should have painted Goatse on there for maximum effect.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Really cant wait for emperors children to get their update to put this most of this stuff to bed.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Artum posted:

Really cant wait for emperors children to get their update to put this most of this stuff to bed.

It would just kick it into overdrive. Game and culture would be better off entirely if Slaanesh was squatted. Yeah, we'd lose some cool things, but it would be a worthy sacrifice.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mugaaz posted:

It would just kick it into overdrive. Game and culture would be better off entirely if Slaanesh was squatted. Yeah, we'd lose some cool things, but it would be a worthy sacrifice.

I feel like Slaanesh could be salvaged if they stopped making it so heavily about sex. But I am not a smart enough woman to be the one to figure that out.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Noise marines are sweet as hell, I just wish it was easier to represent raw and overwhelming sensation of the other senses easier than 'lol ther fuckin"

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
If anything, it's the grogs that make Slaanesh all about sex. GW generally focuses on everything else about Slaanesh outside of somewhat with the Daemonettes.

New Noise Marines would be loving sweet though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mugaaz posted:

It would never happen. What they need to do is retcon Slaanesh into something completely different from the sex stuff. You can't cater to women and appear to be focused on a welcoming experience if you have guys painting tits and gimps without a sense of why it's a terrible idea.

Strobe posted:

Noise marines are sweet as hell, I just wish it was easier to represent raw and overwhelming sensation of the other senses easier than 'lol ther fuckin"

I love the idea of them being the embodiment of excess and intensity. Andrew WK instead of S&M. Purge the whole daemon line and replace them with stuff that's fun, crazy, and designed to make everyone around them better with crazy aura effects. Basically everything is a giant, fun loving party that never stops.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Aura debuffs would be equally cool. Deafening, blinding, numbing/overstimulating touch, debilitating or sickening (not literal illness, that's Nurgle's poo poo) smells. Taste would be hard, but also probably not strictly necessary.

A demon that is literally a corporeal solar corona that blinds enemies would be loving sweeeeeet.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Strobe posted:

Aura debuffs would be equally cool. Deafening, blinding, numbing/overstimulating touch, debilitating or sickening (not literal illness, that's Nurgle's poo poo) smells. Taste would be hard, but also probably not strictly necessary.

A demon that is literally a corporeal solar corona that blinds enemies would be loving sweeeeeet.

gently caress that poo poo, tits & diiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What they need to do is retcon Slaanesh into something completely different from the sex stuff. You can't cater to women and appear to be focused on a welcoming experience if you have guys painting tits and gimps without a sense of why it's a terrible idea.

So what about Dark Eldar

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Basically everything is a giant, fun loving party that never stops.

That's Nurgle now

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Slaanesh needs to be more doomrider and less... whatever that link was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goose willis posted:

So what about Dark Eldar

They're like half Slaanesh, half Nurgle.

quote:

That's Nurgle now

Nurgle is like a warm family gathering. I'm talking Animal House with more drugs and ultraviolence.