Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
...This whole SE event was basically "And now there's a reason why Captain America is hated and despised, just like in the upcoming Infinity War movie so we have stories to sell people that are that", wasn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
So Cable wants to make Ultimate Spider-man a spy for the future of espionage? This will either be very good or very stupid.

Also, Spider-man: Renew Your Vows is jumping ahead to her teenage years? I think that's a bit of a missed opportunity. Should have done more of her as a little kid. It was kind of cute and she needed more time to develop as a child. But, I guess that's modern marvel: can't keep a status quo for a year before needing to shake things up. Or they felt with Superdad in DC they were too similar, maybe?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yes, that looks like it. For some reason the part I most remember from it is Doc Ock trying to steal a Da Vinci painting from a museum because nobody else can appreciate it on as many levels as he can, then he stops halfway through his attack to monologue about how he got the idea for his arms on the Vitruvian Man, which I thought was a novelty.

Looking up a summary of it, it seems that the actual plot was that this rival photographer at the Daily Bugle resented how Peter Parker always got his shots on the front page and conspired to break Doc Ock out of jail so he could take photos of his escape, which I sort of remember.

It also was one of the rare times a writer explored even a little bit what photography meant to Peter. Of all the comics Spider-Man has ever been in, it was pretty rare to see Peter in a darkroom. Photography was usually presented just as a way to make a living that was largely glossed over but I like how Negative Exposure showed his interest in the technical side of things because it's right up his alley. Developing film is all chemistry.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I like Ahmed but don't know the first thing about the Inhumans. Can I just jump right in to Black Bolt?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lester Shy posted:

I like Ahmed but don't know the first thing about the Inhumans. Can I just jump right in to Black Bolt?

Yes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

Yup.

He's also getting his own creator owned book.

https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/916044632542326784

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

It's funny when you can tell an interview was done via sending a list of questions in an email. Ahmed name checks Kolchak, Mulder and Constantine in one answer and the next question is "How do you combine hard-boiled crime with supernatural horror?"

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Zoro posted:

So Cable wants to make Ultimate Spider-man a spy for the future of espionage? This will either be very good or very stupid.

Also, Spider-man: Renew Your Vows is jumping ahead to her teenage years? I think that's a bit of a missed opportunity. Should have done more of her as a little kid. It was kind of cute and she needed more time to develop as a child. But, I guess that's modern marvel: can't keep a status quo for a year before needing to shake things up. Or they felt with Superdad in DC they were too similar, maybe?

ASM: Renew Your Vows is getting a new creative team with the time jump, which might explain the decision. It bums me out though, because I really like Gerry Conway's recent stuff, especially Carnage.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This looks rad

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SomeJazzyRat posted:

The last Gambit series by Asmus and Mann wasn't too bad. A lot of globehopping shenanigans and thievery happened. It certainly wasn't The Best™ comic at the time, but it was a cut above average. He's certainly a character that benefits from a good writer though.

The only time I didn't actively hate Gambit is in the X-23 solo series. He was more cool uncle that showed up because your dad is somewhere else, rather than sexual predator that makes things explode and has a goofy accent.

So according to writer Elliott Kalan, Cyclops in his second Deadpool/Spiderman issue was based partially on Dan McCoy, the Cyclops of the Flophouse crew.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So Squirrel Girl isn't usually my favorite comic but holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQabrSpKcJw&t=20s

I love this so much.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

According to today's Runaways issue only two years have passed in universe since the first Civil War.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

fadam posted:

According to today's Runaways issue only two years have passed in universe since the first Civil War.

weren't 16 of those 24 months 8 month chunks on either end of Secret Wars ?

Also, can someone tell me when Blackbolt got telepathy? I recently found out, due to the inhumans show, that that power was his; I had always been assuming it was Medusa's (maybe because of the red hair and Marvel).

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 11, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gwenpool....is scary.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Shinjobi posted:

Gwenpool....is scary.

So, like, Gwenpool straight up killed that guy. Like, what the gently caress? Explains how she got rid of the snakes so easily and cleanly.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah i gotta admit, for someone who's last arc was I'm gonna be a real hero now she sure iced that guy right quick

Also i noticed they hosed up the credits and listed gurihiru as cover/interior artist for this issue when they weren't

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
God drat, X-Men Blue. I knew that Vampire-Storm from another dimension wouldn't stick around for long, but not even two full issues on the team before she's killed off? Man, that's rough.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Falcon #1 was okay. I didn't expect Falcon to go from being Captain America to dealing with gang violence in Chicago, but here we are, I suppose. I think I would have preferred if the mayo was just a corrupt shitback and not the twist at the end with the mayor.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Odd nitpick, they're renumbering everything to match what the number should have been before the relaunches...but Ms.Marvel is still only on issue 23 and not issue 42, which it would have been had they begun counting the 2014-2015 run.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zoro posted:

Odd nitpick, they're renumbering everything to match what the number should have been before the relaunches...but Ms.Marvel is still only on issue 23 and not issue 42, which it would have been had they begun counting the 2014-2015 run.

I'm guessing probably because it's not a high enough number to justify going to legacy numbering. Jumping up 20 is a bit different than jumping up 100+ probably.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It would be higher if they include the earlier Carol runs. They did that with Miles' numbering including the previous Peter Parker Spider-Man issues.

Edit - I think the jump up to the old numbering is kind of silly anyway. I'd rather they just continue the numbering normally.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I assume they don't want to confuse the people who only read Ms Marvel, which I assume is higher than for most of their comics

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

It would be higher if they include the earlier Carol runs. They did that with Miles' numbering including the previous Peter Parker Spider-Man issues.

Edit - I think the jump up to the old numbering is kind of silly anyway. I'd rather they just continue the numbering normally.

Maybe Wilson didn't want it, she has pretty tight control over that book.

Also I'm of the opinion all books should all be 1-12 every year, but I'm one of few that feel that way probably. Or maybe in lieu of numbers just switching to a date system Ms Marvel Jan 2018. That's how magazines do it. Then we never have to worry about numbering again. Keep the numbers to the trades.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Zoro posted:

The entire renumbering thing for almost every book is filled with 'why did they count this, but not that?' and 'it should be issue #....' issues...it's best not to think about it, and just go with it.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Jesus loving Christ, Rocket #6 really got to me.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Zoro posted:

So, like, Gwenpool straight up killed that guy. Like, what the gently caress? Explains how she got rid of the snakes so easily and cleanly.

Are they really dead, though? I guess they still exist, but are outside of the panels of the comic. So in limbo, maybe?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

They're just out until another writer remembers them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Codependent Poster posted:

Are they really dead, though? I guess they still exist, but are outside of the panels of the comic. So in limbo, maybe?
Illyana shouting from the basement, "cyka blyat"

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Paste Pot Pete can never die, that ain’t gonna stick.

Maybe both he and Snake Man will show up in the real world? Keep your eyes out, folks.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Sentinel Red posted:

Paste Pot Pete can never die, that ain’t gonna stick.

Maybe both he and Snake Man will show up in the real world? Keep your eyes out, folks.

Eventually, there will be a Gwenpool comic where the entire thing is done, or at least the section, with real people in costumes ( like photographs) with wordballoons photosphoped in.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Billzasilver posted:

Jesus loving Christ, Rocket #6 really got to me.

Yeah, I'm sad it was only six issues but they packed a lot of good stuff in there.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zoro posted:

Eventually, there will be a Gwenpool comic where the entire thing is done, or at least the section, with real people in costumes ( like photographs) with wordballoons photosphoped in.

It should be done with them holding cardboard signs shaped like wordballoons.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jordan7hm posted:

It should be done with them holding cardboard signs shaped like wordballoons.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Uncanny Avengers continues to be a pretty great book, which is impressive since writer Gerry Duggan had swapped with Jim Zub a couple issues ago. I'm not familiar with Zub, but so far I'm pretty happy with him.

The book is currently doing its best to try to turn adult Beast -- last seen praising Emma Frost for her mutant nation that put humans and Inhumans alike in concentration camps -- into a likable dude again instead of the worst X-character ever...though, in this book's favor, "worst X-character ever" is a highly-coveted position with plenty of contenders.

We'll see what happens. Zub is trying to play up Beast's iconic friendship with Simon Williams here but, to be honest, that character wasn't faring all that much better than McCoy the last time I'd kept track of him. :sweatdrop:

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
So I'm a new reader, perfectly content with being six months behind on Unlimited, but I have a question about a plot point to make sure I'm not an idiot.

I've been enjoying Superior Spider-Man. It's been an interesting take on a superhero story, and unlike a lot of the stuff I've read it's not getting interrupted by ridiculously convoluted crossover events that make it really hard to follow.

So it was annoying when this happened in #25.

Did I miss a development somewhere in another book, or was this as loving ridiculously out of nowhere as it seems? I haven't read farther yet so I don't know if they explain it but this is kinda bullshit.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Celery Jello posted:

So I'm a new reader, perfectly content with being six months behind on Unlimited, but I have a question about a plot point to make sure I'm not an idiot.

I've been enjoying Superior Spider-Man. It's been an interesting take on a superhero story, and unlike a lot of the stuff I've read it's not getting interrupted by ridiculously convoluted crossover events that make it really hard to follow.

So it was annoying when this happened in #25.

Did I miss a development somewhere in another book, or was this as loving ridiculously out of nowhere as it seems? I haven't read farther yet so I don't know if they explain it but this is kinda bullshit.

It was out of nowhere as it seems, IIRC.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Zoro posted:

I like this idea in theory, but then I think of John Byrne's Star Trek.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Esplanade posted:

I like this idea in theory, but then I think of John Byrne's Star Trek.

Fumetti has a long and rich history that predates that crap by decades. Don't let Byrne take it from us.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Zoro posted:

It should be done via her "real" family communicating with her via the letters page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zoro posted:

When I was little I used to get the Beano annual every Christmas, and they'd always have at least one story that used posed photographs of people interacting with the drawn characters. They were strange.

My brother used to have official Bibleman tie-in Bible, which created one-page comic strips using stills from episodes of the TV show as panels.

• Locked thread