Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

It's a very simple game that freely invites the player to help construct its own significance. Your connection to Journey is very tied up in what emotional state you're in when you play it. Many see it as a metaphor for accepting death, or recovering from an illness/addiction, and if you're in that vulnerable state of mind, it's easy to see how you can draw a lot of meaning from the narrative. If you're not really thinking about those things or not at all invested in its storytelling then it will of course seem like a really sparse experience.

I didn't pay attention to any of the symbolibabble you can interpret from the game and still think it's one of the best experiences I've ever played. Austin wintory is a hero and the vast amount of care that went into the game's presentation is evident after playing it for a matter of seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7307qRmlMI

If only action games actually cared about their camera this much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
https://i.imgur.com/OB3NAEd.gifv

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skyrim modding has gone too far

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
This is actually the leaked intro for the next Zelda game.

I mean it's pretty much how the last few Zelda games started.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah the intro to Breath of the Wild was pretty lame

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

battlefront 2 is a lot better than the first one I guess... but the microtransactions are Incredibly Yikes

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="“homeless snail”" post="“477195726”"]
battlefront 2 is a lot better than the first one I guess... but the microtransactions are Incredibly Yikes
[/quote]

Nah its the same bad poo poo but with space battles now

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

nah, mechanically it is way different

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You play as Republic Troopers in the siege of Naboo which canonically makes no sense. gently caress this game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

You play as Republic Troopers in the siege of Naboo which canonically makes no sense. gently caress this game.

They have Darth Maul fighting Rey. None of this is canon.

Also it could always be some OTHER siege of Naboo that happened later! Its not like after Episode 1 Naboo just "lived happily ever after"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel posted:

everyone, lets play the old earthbound halloween hack this month, in which dr. andonuts says gently caress and also the other f word

The boss fight against the living manifestation of dr. andonuts' secret homosexuality

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="“homeless snail”" post="“477195809”"]
nah, mechanically it is way different
[/quote]

But who cares there will be a new one in two years and then two years after that and they will all be worse than the originals

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Like its still a bad shooter only now you gotta kill streak to be a jedi oooooooooo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The space battle stuff looks nice.

Also the actress playing the protagonist in the story mode hung out with the Giant Bomb crew and seemed pretty cool

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
disney patched 64 player multiplayer back into og battlefront 2 so just buy that and call 63 of your friends together

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I do wonder which will make more people angrier, the noncanonical battles in Battlefront 2 (the new one) or black women fighting for the Germans in CoD: WWII (the new one)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

disney patched 64 player multiplayer back into og battlefront 2 so just buy that and call 63 of your friends together
next they're gonna patch in a circle that slowly shrinks and kills you if you stand outside of it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
64-player hero battle where everyone is boba fett

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="“CharlieFoxtrot”" post="“477197024”"]
The space battle stuff looks nice.

Also the actress playing the protagonist in the story mode hung out with the Giant Bomb crew and seemed pretty cool
[/quote]

It looks great indeed cause thats what dice do but its just an arcadey shallow thing designed for using power up gambling cards

If it were 64 player xwing vs tie fighter it would be worth the hype

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I do wonder which will make more people angrier, the noncanonical battles in Battlefront 2 (the new one) or black women fighting for the Germans in CoD: WWII (the new one)

lol

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

This is actually the leaked intro for the next Zelda game.

I mean it's pretty much how the last few Zelda games started.

It really highlights how amazing A Link to the Past's intro was. It's dark and stormy, a mysterious voice calls you out of bed to face an army barehanded, then you come across your dying uncle who tells you to gently caress poo poo up.

I don't know why the 3D games insist on such obnoxious world building. At least BotW eschews the forced segments for making the entire first roadblock an extended tutorial.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The gameplay is pretty fun in Battlefront 2 but the cards are extremely bad and dumb so I'll skip it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oh jeeze they're still using one time cards in the year of our lord 2017?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i am constantly baffled by this new trend of referring to power ups or customization as cards

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would be more interested in Battlefront 2 if I had faith that DICE could deliver a good single player campaign, but i've yet to like any of the campaigns they have made for their games.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

babypolis posted:

i am constantly baffled by this new trend of referring to power ups or customization as cards

Step 1: people like collecting cards.

That's it. It ain't exactly an enigma.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

al-azad posted:

Oh jeeze they're still using one time cards in the year of our lord 2017?
nah they're not consumable, but its even worse than that. equippable cards that either make your abilities better or replace them with new abilities, and each card comes in multiple rarities with the rare versions just straight up better, like the difference between +10% and +50% fire rate. cards come from loot boxes that you can buy with real money of course, and the requisite crafting system so that they can pretend that its not pay to win but realistically is not something you'll ever get to interact with unless you play a million hours

babypolis posted:

that's how the EA battlefront games present its customization, in the first one rather than have classes you built a hand of cards and those were your active and passive abilities, and also some cards had a limited number of charges for no good reason. IDK why they kept the card conceit in BF2 other than the mobile phone game rear end card rarity stuff

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I would say that affecting game balance like that would be a bad thing, but in this case, what game balance

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It really doesn't matter because every gun one shots you anyways.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

babypolis posted:

I think there's a better psychological association with a "booster pack" than there is with a "loot box" for a lot of people. The former is a concept I've been familiar with for, like, decades, the latter sounds like some bull poo poo even if they're functionally identical. It's lame but true

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's also because of cross-pollination with the card system in sports games like FIFA which have been doing it for almost a decade

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Unreal_One posted:

Step 1: people like collecting cards.

That's it. It ain't exactly an enigma.

goferchan posted:

I think there's a better psychological association with a "booster pack" than there is with a "loot box" for a lot of people. The former is a concept I've been familiar with for, like, decades, the latter sounds like some bull poo poo even if they're functionally identical. It's lame but true

that might be true but that should only apply to nerds like us, a lot of the games doing this are for normies

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've never understood the appeal of collecting cards from random packs. Even as a kid that played card games I got frustrated buying booster packs and just wished I could get the cards I actually wanted. That's ultimately the reason I quit playing them.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's like gambling for kids, except the payout is being able to brag to your friends

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

babypolis posted:

that might be true but that should only apply to nerds like us, a lot of the games doing this are for normies

Yeah this is true. I'm gonna say Madden was probably the game that made it mainstream, Ultimate Team mode was added in 2009 so that way predates Hearthsotne and stuff

edit: at least in the west. Not sure when the Japanese gacha mobile game took off

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

goferchan posted:

Yeah this is true. I'm gonna say Madden was probably the game that made it mainstream, Ultimate Team mode was added in 2009 so that way predates Hearthsotne and stuff

do americans do the whole collecting cards that you would glue onto a stickerbook as kids? there were tons of different ones but the soccer and world cup ones were some of the best, maybe thats why

or maybe its just convenient from an ui standpoint

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

babypolis posted:

do americans do the whole collecting cards that you would glue onto a stickerbook as kids? there were tons of different ones but the soccer and world cup ones were some of the best, maybe thats why

or maybe its just convenient from an ui standpoint

You mean like baseball cards? Yeah, that's kind of a thing here. I think it is anyway, i passed the age where people gave a poo poo about baseball cards long ago.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I've never understood the appeal of collecting cards from random packs. Even as a kid that played card games I got frustrated buying booster packs and just wished I could get the cards I actually wanted. That's ultimately the reason I quit playing them.
the modern trend of LCGs where there are no blind boosters and you can buy exactly the cards you want and even if you wanted a full set it wouldn't be that hard or expensive to do is insanely good. although usually that also means you have to buy multiples of certain things cause instead of card rarities they just make sure no set has as the max number of copies of the really good cards that they know people will want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am interested to see how people will continue to defend loot boxes now that it is abundantly clear that they are negatively affecting the design and increasingly balance of games.

• Locked thread