Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I liked it better when Dead Reckoning just tried to wave away concerns as 'un-ethical' rather than try to play off bans as slippery slopes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Ogmius815 posted:

See also: Murkowski, Lisa

Who is still in power. Also Lieberman.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Didn't Cheney's daughter try the same thing? Using her politically connected father to get her carpet bagging rear end elected in Wyoming without actually even living there?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Axetrain posted:

Didn't Cheney's daughter try the same thing? Using her politically connected father to get her carpet bagging rear end elected in Wyoming without actually even living there?

The Cheneys are established in Wyoming. Liz Cheney was living in Virginia for a long time before coming back to Wyoming and running for office where she first tired to primary Senator Mike Enzi in 2014. When Cynthia Lummis gave up her seat in the House, Cheney ran for that.

Erik Prince though....oh god.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Star Man posted:

Erik Prince though....oh god.

I can't decide who Wyoming deserves more, Prince, Barraso or a Cheney.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

hanales posted:

Wyoming deserves a volcanic eruption, tbh.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Party Plane Jones posted:

Checks out yeah.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

hanales posted:

Lemme go ask the folks on the reservation that question and get back to you.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Party Plane Jones posted:

Only if I'm allowed to axe murder all Cascadians.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Star Man posted:

Only if I'm allowed to axe murder all Cascadians.

Flee while you can star man.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Just plotting a Brady score vs raw homicide rate doesn't prove what you think it does. You have to compare the change in homicide rates before and after a law (ideally to a control if available).
This theory only makes sense if you think that, for example, California, New York etc. didn't have an extensive history of being hostile to gun rights before 2014 (lol, CA's AWB and handgun registry are both over a decade old) and that Idaho and Vermont weren't liberal about gun rights. No one has been bucking a trend since 2000.

I haven't really found the idea of a control State practical in many cases, but sure, let's go for it anyway:

No wait stop (Sorry, too easy. I mean, that slope doesn't even budge.)

Here's something a little meatier:

So for eight years after Australia's great gun grab, it didn't do anything, and while I'm sure you're keen to point to the post 2002 decline as proof that confiscation works if only you give it enough time, the United States actually experienced a greater decline in per capita homicide rate over the same period, despite the sunset of the federal assault weapon ban and the liberalization of concealed carry laws in many states.

There is one example I can think of where there were actually control States though. The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act was passed in 1993 and came into effect in Feb of '94. The interesting thing is, 18 states and the District of Columbia had already passed similar laws, so one could actually compare the 32 "treatment" states to the 18 "control" states. The result? A reduction in firearm suicides among those 55 or older, but no significant difference in homicide and suicide for treatment and control states otherwise.

Gun control really is just nibbling at the edges. If you don't give a poo poo about the right to self defense, that's probably good enough for you, but hopefully you can see why those of us who do care about gun rights aren't willing to endorse further control.

VitalSigns posted:

Blindly comparing urban and rural areas also doesn't tell you much, of course urban areas have a higher per capita crime rate; "you're more likely to be murdered in California than in Idaho" tells you more about the percentage of the population that lives in dense urban areas in California compared to Idaho than it does about the effect of policy differences between those states. But you're a pretty smart guy so I suspect you know this already and are either hoping your audience doesn't or you're just rationalizing your way to the conclusion you want to reach.
I think if going from a more urban state to a rural one is consistently sufficient to completely drown out the difference between the most restrictive and least restrictive gun laws in the country, that rather neatly supports my point that gun laws don't do much. Plus, your theory fails to explain the difference between rural states in the South and rural states in the Northeast/Northern Great Plains.

VitalSigns posted:

Turns out when you review 64 years of academic studies on the subject both within the United States and internationally, gun control done right turns out to be effective and you can also determine which laws work and which are useless or counterproductive.
C'mon, man, it's right there in the title: "What Do We Know About the Association Between Firearm Legislation and Firearm-Related Injuries?"

Like, this is the exact fallacy I addressed in my last paragraph. Yeah, if you make guns less practical for most people to get legally, which is exactly the policies you describe, they're sometimes less prevalent in suicides and homicides, but it leaves totally unaddressed the question of whether it actually lowers overall homicide or suicide rates. And the reason you and others stubbornly refuse to engage to engage with that question is because the data to support your pre-determined conclusion just isn't there for homicides, and the question of what drives suicide rates is complex enough to defy easy answers.

CommieGIR posted:

I liked it better when Dead Reckoning just tried to wave away concerns as 'un-ethical' rather than try to play off bans as slippery slopes.
I'm just trying to figure out the mindset of someone who thinks, "80* people killed per year in active shooter incidents, that's totally unconscionable, but 20 per year is an acceptable price for Americans to enjoy their God-given right to hunt."

*1,043 people killed in active shooter incidents between 2000 and 2013 per the FBI, because let's face it, people only care about this when it's something like U of T Austin, Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook, Aurora, Orlando, or Vegas.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 9, 2017

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

How do you feel about the CDC not being able to conduct research on gun violence in America? It seems like you enjoy raw data, but right now there's a dearth of it because the apparatus meant to find out about these things isn't allowed to conduct any studies about it.

I'm curious if you'll argue some dumb slippery slope bullshit like republicans do when anyone brings it up or if you'd be okay with more data on the subject to have a more informed discussion.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

How do you feel about the CDC not being able to conduct research on gun violence in America? It seems like you enjoy raw data, but right now there's a dearth of it because the apparatus meant to find out about these things isn't allowed to conduct any studies about it.

I'm curious if you'll argue some dumb slippery slope bullshit like republicans do when anyone brings it up or if you'd be okay with more data on the subject to have a more informed discussion.

DR is just going to calmly explain to you that in fact you're wrong the CDC totally could do gun studies because it isn't a ban but they don't want to. Please ignore all context blah blah blah. We've heard it all before.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
he's trolling you guys as evidenced by his graph labelled homocide

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I remember when DR was in the dapl thread and defending the oil companies bulldozing artifacts and destroying them so they wouldn't have to reroute the pipeline

Also defending said companies blasting protesters with water cannons in below freezing temperatures and siccing attack dogs on them

just :lol: if you bother to engage him seriously

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Condiv posted:

I remember when DR was in the dapl thread and defending the oil companies bulldozing artifacts and destroying them so they wouldn't have to reroute the pipeline

Also defending said companies blasting protesters with water cannons in below freezing temperatures and siccing attack dogs on them

just :lol: if you bother to engage him seriously

You should see the vaccine thread, where he was using gun idiot logic to logic himself into being an anti-vaxxer.
Highlights:
-Kids die in bike accidents all the time so why do they need vaccines, liberals?
-What if my infant wants to get measles (you know, probably), big government shouldn't take that choice away from me my baby.
-Individual rights, big government has no ethical right to put something in my baby's body (unless it's hot hot lead and we're talking about scary black babies who might be packing heat)
-Vaccination is a slippery slope to a Demolition Man dystopia where big government takes away your dog and doesn't let you have sex or eat butter because you might get hurt.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

So for eight years after Australia's great gun grab, it didn't do anything, and while I'm sure you're keen to point to the post 2002 decline as proof that confiscation works if only you give it enough time, the United States actually experienced a greater decline in per capita homicide rate over the same period, despite the sunset of the federal assault weapon ban and the liberalization of concealed carry laws in many states.

Noooope. Most of the studies done show it was effective, although you can decide to cherry-pick the minority that found no effect (or I guess just slap some tables from Wikipedia into excel without controlling for anything and then play Fox News games with the Y-axis scaling, that works too).

What Do We Know About the Association Between Firearm Legislation and Firearm-Related Injuries? posted:

The 1996 National Firearms Agreement (NFA) and the South Australia Firearms Act

A summary of these laws is provided in Table 3. In regards to homicide rates, Ozanne-Smith et al. (78) examined the NFA using Victoria as a control group, given that this state had previously enacted firearm restrictions in 1988. The authors found a reduction (14%) in overall firearm death rates in states implementing NFA restrictions relative to Victoria (78). Another study by Chapman et al. (115), analyzed data from 1979 to 2003 and found evidence of an acceleration in the reduction in firearm deaths and all homicides after the passing of the law; although there was also a steeper reduction in firearm homicides, the trend ratio was not significant. In addition, no firearm mass shootings occurred in Australia after the NFA compared with 13 in the prelaw period (115). In contrast, Baker and McPhedran (116) compared observed versus predicted homicide rates after the NFA (1979–2004 data) in autoregressive integrated moving average models and found no association between the law and homicide rates, although the downward trend was observed to continue in the years after the law. Neill and Leigh (117) criticized Baker and McPhedran (116) for not using the log of death rates (which made expected rates become negative). Adjusting for new model specifications, they found a reduction in the firearm homicide rates associated with the NFA (117).

Dead Reckoning posted:

There is one example I can think of where there were actually control States though. The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act was passed in 1993 and came into effect in Feb of '94. The interesting thing is, 18 states and the District of Columbia had already passed similar laws, so one could actually compare the 32 "treatment" states to the 18 "control" states. The result? A reduction in firearm suicides among those 55 or older, but no significant difference in homicide and suicide for treatment and control states otherwise.
Correct. The Brady Law was ineffective (and is in the paper I gave you), however you cannot go from "this specific gun control law was ineffective" to "therefore all gun control laws must be ineffective too".

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think if going from a more urban state to a rural one is consistently sufficient to completely drown out the difference between the most restrictive and least restrictive gun laws in the country, that rather neatly supports my point that gun laws don't do much. Plus, your theory fails to explain the difference between rural states in the South and rural states in the Northeast/Northern Great Plains.

No, it does not support your point, and if you think it does you are bad at statistical reasoning.

Dead Reckoning posted:

C'mon, man, it's right there in the title: "What Do We Know About the Association Between Firearm Legislation and Firearm-Related Injuries?"
Maybe read more than just the title? Did you ever think of that? Come on.
From above:

What Do We Know About the Association Between Firearm Legislation and Firearm-Related Injuries? posted:

The 1996 National Firearms Agreement (NFA) and the South Australia Firearms Act

Another study by Chapman et al. (115), analyzed data from 1979 to 2003 and found evidence of an acceleration in the reduction in firearm deaths and all homicides after the passing of the law;

South Africa's Firearms Control Act

This law banned certain firearms (including automatic guns), required an additional license per each gun owned and passing training tests to obtain licenses, increased age requirements for possession/purchase of firearms, and mandated background checks (Table 3). Matzopoulos et al. (126) evaluated the association between the Act and changes in homicide rates in 5 major cities (2001–2005 data). Results showed a decreasing trend (13.6% per year) for firearm homicides through the implementation of the program and until 1 year after the law was fully implemented. Reductions in nonfirearm homicides were also observed, although not as pronounced as the ones observed for firearm homicides.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm just trying to figure out the mindset of someone who thinks, "80* people killed per year in active shooter incidents, that's totally unconscionable, but 20 per year is an acceptable price for Americans to enjoy their God-given right to hunt."

*1,043 people killed in active shooter incidents between 2000 and 2013 per the FBI, because let's face it, people only care about this when it's something like U of T Austin, Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook, Aurora, Orlando, or Vegas.
lmao
"Oh wow that's a lot of needless deaths, let me pretend only the 8% that get the most newspaper-column inches are the only important ones so the problem sounds insignificant.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 9, 2017

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Condiv posted:

https://ecf.dcd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/show_public_doc?2016cv1534-39

Pg 13-14

quote:

Dakota Access nevertheless also prominently considered another factor in crafting its route: the potential presence of historic properties. Using past cultural surveys, the company devised DAPL’s route to account for and avoid sites that had already been identified as potentially eligible for or listed on the National Register of Historic Places. With that path in hand, in July 2014, the company purchased rights to a 400-foot corridor along its preliminary route to conduct extensive new cultural surveys of its own. These surveys eventually covered the entire length of the pipeline in North and South Dakota, and much of Iowa and Illinois. Professionally licensed archaeologists conducted Class II cultural surveys, which are “focused on visual reconnaissance of the ground surface in settings with high ground visibility.” In some places, however, the same archaeologists carried out more intensive Class III cultural surveys, which involve a “comprehensive archaeological survey program” requiring both surface visual inspection and shovel-test probes of fixed grids to “inventory, delineate, and assess” historic sites. These latter surveys required coordination with and approval by State Historic Preservation Officers.

Where this surveying revealed previously unidentified historic or cultural resources that might be affected, the company mostly chose to reroute. In North Dakota, for example, the cultural surveys found 149 potentially eligible sites, 91 of which had stone features. The pipeline workspace and route was modified to avoid all 91 of these stone features and all but 9 of the other potentially eligible sites. By the time the company finally settled on a construction path, then, the pipeline route had been modified 140 times in North Dakota alone to avoid potential cultural resources. Plans had also been put in place to mitigate any effects on the other 9 sites through coordination with the North Dakota SHPO. All told, the company surveyed nearly twice as many miles in North Dakota as the 357 miles that would eventually be used for the pipeline.
(Internal citations omitted)

Pg 29:

quote:

The improved relationship, however, had its limits. In the spring, the Corps worked with Dakota Access to offer consulting tribes an opportunity to conduct cultural surveys at PCN locations where the private landowner would permit them. This included 7 of the 11 sites in North and South Dakota. Three tribes took the opportunity, and it paid off. The Upper Sioux Community identified areas of tribal concern at three PCN sites, and Dakota Access agreed to additional avoidance measures at all of them. At one of these sites, the tribal surveyors and the Iowa SHPO declared a site eligible for listing on the National Registry that had not previously been identified on Dakota Access’s surveys. Dakota Access agreed in response to this discovery to bury the pipeline 111 feet below the site to avoid disturbing it. Similarly, the Osage Tribe identified areas through their surveys that they wished to monitor during construction, and the company granted that request too. Standing Rock took a different tack. The Tribe declined to participate in the surveys because of their limited scope. Instead, it urged the Corps to redefine the area of potential effect to include the entire pipeline and asserted that it would send no experts to help identify cultural resources until this occurred.

:shrug:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

shut up about posters and do the politics posts. if out of some weird masochism dr posts in the thunderdome you can rake him over the coals there

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

R. Guyovich posted:

shut up about posters and do the politics posts. if out of some weird masochism dr posts in the thunderdome you can rake him over the coals there
The Thunderdome thread is actually better than this one right now. Please do not encourage the two worst posters in D&D to post in it tia.

I just checked Twitter for the first time in months and discovered that the NASCAR drivers I follow are significantly to the left of the Democrats I follow. Im loving confused.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

VitalSigns posted:

You should see the vaccine thread, where he was using gun idiot logic to logic himself into being an anti-vaxxer.
Highlights:
-Kids die in bike accidents all the time so why do they need vaccines, liberals?
-What if my infant wants to get measles (you know, probably), big government shouldn't take that choice away from me my baby.
-Individual rights, big government has no ethical right to put something in my baby's body (unless it's hot hot lead and we're talking about scary black babies who might be packing heat)
-Vaccination is a slippery slope to a Demolition Man dystopia where big government takes away your dog and doesn't let you have sex or eat butter because you might get hurt.

:laffo:

Holy poo poo, I didn't know it was this bad.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I just checked Twitter for the first time in months and discovered that the NASCAR drivers I follow are significantly to the left of the Democrats I follow. Im loving confused.

Probably because the former group has at least some interactions with non-bourgie people.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BrandorKP posted:

All things carry thier end in-themselves. Our society is no exception. We can look at it honestly and without fear and I think Coates does that.

So long as it is the case that within our society that can be done, then redemption and hope have a ground in and for our society and it is not at its end.

I don't think it can be done within our society. At the very least, not our current society. At the very least, there isn't much basis for optimism.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

You're an idiot. You don't need an AR-15/Semi-Auto rifle to hunt, and this is just a pathetic slippery slope argument. And no, a Semi-Auto ban would not end hunting.

And again, you keep citing graphs, while FULLY IGNORING that we've demonstrated that the NRA has made researching gun violence impossible, so it begs the question: Who made the graphs you cite? Hm? Probably not someone that was going to release a study that the NRA wouldn't like.

Because as we know from the past, the NRA will make sure that you receive no funding in the future if you do a study they dislike. Don't forget: The NRA has basically a veto oversight on any CDC studies done relating to guns.

Dead Reckoning posted:

https://ecf.dcd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/show_public_doc?2016cv1534-39

Pg 13-14

Pg 29:

:shrug:

From the same courts that authorized what was basically a paramilitary encounter with multiple different state police actively harassing protesters. Got it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 9, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

Significantly fewer deaths is a better outcome than significantly more deaths.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

DRs an antivaxxer too? What a fuckwad I hope they get shingles.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Highlights:

Can we get a link to this?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Keystone and DAPL won't even be profitable anyway because the Saudis crashed the price of oil in 2014 and then lost control over oil prices because so many other people couldn't cut production that crude oil is hilariously oversupplied and underpriced.

There are literally oil tanker ships full of crude oil just sitting off the coasts of several ports storing it because we're that oversupplied.

So we're destroying the environment to build Keystone and DAPL for the sake of profits that won't even materialize.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Majorian posted:

Significantly fewer deaths is a better outcome than significantly more deaths.

Did the person you're replying to get the same sort of home schooling that Baked Alaska person claimed to receive?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
you all ready for some really really racist poo poo?

https://twitter.com/realDailyWire/status/917361118368034818

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

botany posted:

you all ready for some really really racist poo poo?

https://twitter.com/realDailyWire/status/917361118368034818

:stare: :catstare: :staredog:

...the gently caress?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

zxqv8 posted:

:stare: :catstare: :staredog:

...the gently caress?

Its Ben Shapiro.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

CommieGIR posted:

Can we get a link to this?

how about asking this via pm instead of continuing to do the thing i warned the thread not to do

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't think it can be done within our society. At the very least, not our current society. At the very least, there isn't much basis for optimism.

Things become what they are.

Most people are familiar with the story of Jonah. What they don't realize is that Jonah is running from what Jonah is. That's the metaphor I'm seeing it in now. Is the US in the belly of the whale, in the process of becoming, or is this what we are. I don't think we get to know until it plays out.

I'm going to risk that Trump isn't what we are. We are well and truly hosed anyway if he is.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Its Ben Shapiro.

Reminder Shapiro almost got killed by a woman when he insulted her and called her the t-word. He then tried to sue and then dropped the suit like the little POS he is.

Also lol at the EPA saying coal is coming back and stupid rednecks still thinking that their jerbs are coming back. Long live fracking and fire water and local micro quakes.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

BrandorKP posted:

Most people are familiar with the story of Jonah. What they don't realize is that Jonah is running from what Jonah is. That's the metaphor I'm seeing it in now. Is the US in the belly of the whale, in the process of becoming, or is this what we are. I don't think we get to know until it plays out.

I'm going to risk that Trump isn't what we are. We are well and truly hosed anyway if he is.

I'm sorry but how is that what Jonah is about? Basically the whole point of Jonah is that Jonah never develops or grows as a person.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BrandorKP posted:

Trump is Little Wooden Boy

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Kingfish posted:

I'm sorry but how is that what Jonah is about? Basically the whole point of Jonah is that Jonah never develops or grows as a person.

BrandorKP is noted for trying to relate everything to Christian parables.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I'm all for metaphorical reference to the scriptures, but I expect it to be consistent at least. Jonah is basically a Old Testament comedy about a terrible person who Yahweh won't let die or otherwise fail in the task Yahweh has given him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Kingfish posted:

Jonah is forced to be Jonah (to goto Nineveh ). It's pretty miserable for Jonah.

• Locked thread