Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

cowboy elvis posted:

Agreed. The Blade Runner world isn't a particularly happy one.

They probably have Subdermal Stimulats, remember ABHAF.

Always Be High As gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pacific rim was cool because it was giant lumbering robots fighting giant lumbering monsters. They move way too fast in the trailer.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Slim Pickens posted:

Pacific rim was cool because it was giant lumbering robots fighting giant lumbering monsters. They move way too fast in the trailer.

There was a really nice sense of weight and scale to the robots and monsters in the first movie. That pretty much seems to be gone in the second one per the trailer.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I just read the book that the original Blade Runner is based on. I don't remember much about the original movie but replicants are called androids in the book and they are basically robots.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ok I watched pacific rim last night and I was wrong dunno why I didn't enjoy it the first time because giant robots punching giant monsters is cool as poo poo

Also rip Chinese and Russian robots

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Pacific Rim is a movie I randomly watched one day and if I could do life all over again I would trip on a few strips of acid and see it in IMAX.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Sicario is such a good loving movie

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Blade Runner was great, though the 2:45 runtime was a bit long. Definitely gonna get a second watch as soon as it gets a home release

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I just read the book that the original Blade Runner is based on. I don't remember much about the original movie but replicants are called androids in the book and they are basically robots.

Ya the movie adaptation took only a handful of things from the book. I liked the book a lot. The religious stuff about Mercerism and the animal stuff is pretty cool. The book and movie stand apart enough that they both work pretty well as companion pieces.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Nerd CIA dude was cool

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

cowboy elvis posted:

Ya the movie adaptation took only a handful of things from the book. I liked the book a lot. The religious stuff about Mercerism and the animal stuff is pretty cool. The book and movie stand apart enough that they both work pretty well as companion pieces.

I enjoyed the book. It's a pretty quick read too. Took me just a few days of off and on. You could easily finish it in a day.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I enjoyed the book. It's a pretty quick read too. Took me just a few days of off and on. You could easily finish it in a day.

That's pretty much all of Philip K. Dick's novels. He wrote a lot to support his family before succumbing too deeply into his mental illness. Ubik is my favorite novel of his.

His later books are practically insane because he was loving gone mentally.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

tastefully arranged labia posted:

That loving drumbeat

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

cowboy elvis posted:

That's pretty much all of Philip K. Dick's novels. He wrote a lot to support his family before succumbing too deeply into his mental illness. Ubik is my favorite novel of his.

I want to read Exegesis since it's apparently schitzo in writing.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

cowboy elvis posted:

He did a lot of drugs, which was not so uncommon then. A. LOT. OF. DRUGS.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I want to read Exegesis since it's apparently schitzo in writing.

I've seen some pages when I took a science fiction literature course as an undergrad.

It's unreadable.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Luke Cage was p sweet, awesome soundtrack

So should I bother watching Iron Fist or just go straight into Defenders?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Luke Cage was p sweet, awesome soundtrack

So should I bother watching Iron Fist or just go straight into Defenders?

It's uh... well it has few good moments if you are really bored.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, Iron Fist is an angsty idiot who'll make you want to throw things at the TV but the show itself has its moments.

If you've seen all the other marvel stuff then poo poo, you might as well.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

cowboy elvis posted:

Nerd CIA dude was cool

Umm excuse me you mean the Mike Vining cosplayer.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

That loving drumbeat

I played Wildlands with the game music muted and that soundtrack on loop in the background.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Like two weeks ago I booked a hotel room in Alexandria for my interview on the 19th and 20th.

I got an email an hour ago from the company asking me if I will be needing a hotel at their expense.

Is this common? Should I wait for the company to handle lodging for me if I have another out of town interview?

Is that something that is appropriate to ask ahead of time?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

cowboy elvis posted:

I can't believe it. Blade Runner 2049 is an incredible follow up.

No voiceovers. Would not recommend.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

joat mon posted:

No voiceovers. Would not recommend.
SY FY was showing the theatrical cut yesterday before we went and saw it. I'd never seen it before. Ford sounds so bored in the voiceovers.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Iron Fist is just batman without the intelligence

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

SY FY was showing the theatrical cut yesterday before we went and saw it. I'd never seen it before. Ford sounds so bored in the voiceovers.

Word of god is he was intentionally making them as lovely as he could because he thought the movie was better off without them.

Blade Runner was one of the last films he actually gave a poo poo about.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I've never seen the cut of the original with voiceovers, sounds like that's a good thing.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Like two weeks ago I booked a hotel room in Alexandria for my interview on the 19th and 20th.

I got an email an hour ago from the company asking me if I will be needing a hotel at their expense.

Is this common? Should I wait for the company to handle lodging for me if I have another out of town interview?

Yes, it's common for good companies to put their prospective employees up in a hotel and either pay it or reimburse it. Especially considering that it's the DC region; if you don't do it then the guy down the street will.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

First campfire of fall.

Well not really camp just my yard but you know.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

oh yeah new Star Wars trailer @ Monday night football

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I interviewed with Apple and MS. They both paid for flight, room, rental car and per diem. Amazon reimbursed me for driving to NOVA. All three paid for relocation if hired with temp housing.

(MS declined me, never heard back from Amazon, and Apple offered me my current salary in San Jose. Sooooo, just counting down my 5.5 years to retirement and do it all over again.)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
cool i woke up at 1:30am because i got a sudden blast of stomach acid up my nose somehow??? i guess i was laying on my stomach and burped in my sleep or something

gently caress me, getting older sucks

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Vasudus posted:

cool i woke up at 1:30am because i got a sudden blast of stomach acid up my nose somehow??? i guess i was laying on my stomach and burped in my sleep or something

gently caress me, getting older sucks

aren't you like 35 or some poo poo?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Acid reflux sucks.

I got my esophagus dialated 3 years ago which helped. I was supposed to get some sort of inhaler to use too but kind of forgot about it until after the prescription ran out.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

MurderBot posted:

aren't you like 35 or some poo poo?

no i'm 32 lmao

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Casimir Radon posted:

Acid reflux sucks.

I got my esophagus dialated 3 years ago which helped. I was supposed to get some sort of inhaler to use too but kind of forgot about it until after the prescription ran out.

dont be coy, im sure you get your esophagus dialated more frequently than that

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Vasudus posted:

no i'm 32 lmao

I was gonna laugh and say you're starting to break down lol but I realize i'm 31 and my hip hurts from time to time and that if I don't sleep more than 8 hours I'm cranky as gently caress until I get my coffee..

So I agree, getting old sucks :(

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Upon further research it appears that it happened from having fizzy water before bed and my pillow being too low. Head ended up slightly lower than stomach and a wee bit of reflux = enjoy your acid in your nose, fucko. Ugh. Was not a fan of waking up to acidic burning in my nose/throat.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Bro just do crossfit and eat paleo duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

MurderBot posted:

I was gonna laugh and say you're starting to break down lol but I realize i'm 31 and my hip hurts from time to time and that if I don't sleep more than 8 hours I'm cranky as gently caress until I get my coffee..

So I agree, getting old sucks :(

I'm pretty sure the only reason I don't feel like I'm falling apart a little bit more every year is just that I'm constantly lifting and exposing whatever lovely little thing that would otherwise rear it's head half a decade down the road. Instead of it snowballing and becoming a chronic issue I end up catching it early and finding ways to fix my poo poo.

Plus I look a lot better naked now than I did in my early-mid 20s, or at least less unpleasantly jiggly.

• Locked thread