Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It'll kill off a bunch of bugs, at least. Looks like the rest of the week should be fairly nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

How many miles a day are you riding? I mean you're burning mega calories and it's probably really good to be getting into shape and all, but I get the impression you're also kind of touring that part of the state in your free time, too.

Also, is cooking meals from ingredients still not really an option? Like, buy some potatoes, maybe, or rice, or some high carb low cost low effort hot food...?

I started branching out in my culinary exploits today, made a hamburger on a toasted English muffin that was quite good. Issue is any perishable foods require ice for the ice box, which takes up a large volume in my bag and lasts maybe a day, day and a half. So nothing frozen, nothing that expires. Canned stuff is expensive, but tasty. I'm getting into my stride, haven't gotten the stove working so it's all been cooked over my biolite the goon sent me.

Mileage per day is about 20-25 consistently, usually fully loaded, and I don't know how to bike slow so it's all up or downhill and flat out all the time

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Factoring all the flats I'm basically living the life of a shrew, foraging enough food to last me until I can get more food lol

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEubrZV04b0

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

I'm not sure on this poo poo. Can I put a carton of camels in a usps flatrate box and expect our man to actually get them?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

DICK DICER posted:

Issue is any perishable foods require ice for the ice box, which takes up a large volume in my bag and lasts maybe a day, day and a half. So nothing frozen, nothing that expires.

The solution to your perishables problem is this:

DICK DICER posted:

Lol drat ittttt

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Thelonious posted:

I'm not sure on this poo poo. Can I put a carton of camels in a usps flatrate box and expect our man to actually get them?

I'm sure its fine as long as you lie about whats in the box

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
No, someone already tried it and had it sent back.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Unless there are sealed storage containers on premises the bugs will probably eat more of any bulk ingredients than Dave can.

In related news, propane-powered mini refigerators cost almost as much as full size electric ones, hooray.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Tricky Ed posted:

Unless there are sealed storage containers on premises the bugs will probably eat more of any bulk ingredients than Dave can.

In related news, propane-powered mini refigerators cost almost as much as full size electric ones, hooray.

Dave's got plenty of power for a dorm style electric mini-fridge, they use next to nothing. Getting it to the camper would be the challenge.
Here's one on amazon for $77 with free prime shipping
https://www.amazon.com/Igloo-FR180-...85%3A2470955011

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 9, 2017

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Omg don't send me a fridge I'm running at capacity with a trailer to wrangle on top I appreciate the thought but IT'S ALL GOOD

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJOCHz_p9YE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxdKkH5Hz10

Not exactly death metal, but a palate cleanser.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hermano- Bona Fide

https://youtu.be/ybHBehFT9LA

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ah yeah I didn't even think about refrigeration, or keeping bugs out of your potatoes or whatever although if you've got a cooler, it can probably at least keep food clean if not cold.

You have a source of clean water on site, right? So, simple hot meals like instant oatmeal or instant rice could still work? It sounds like we only need to keep you in calories for a couple more weeks, should be do-able.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Dannywilson posted:

Aaaaand then Warp Riders fucks with my state of mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjKI_U9ENwU

E: goddamn I love that album cover.

This album, and specifically Tres Brujas, is what got me into The Sword. This album is stellar start to finish.

Also, anyone else think 14 would make for an interesting IRL Twitch streamer? Though the chances of getting banned due to an actual dick appearing on stream might cut that run short...

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
If it comes down to it, I hear grasshoppers are good eatin', for certain values of "good". Like tiny prairie lobsters. Hey, it worked for people in the Bible.

Though the window for that is running out, I guess, what with the freeze coming.

As others have said, do they not make solid tires in your size? I mean, the ride's gonna be poo poo, but might be worth it, given the natural caltrops everywhere.

What's the plan for once the truck is running? Ride shotgun to Florida and live in Danno's backyard/garage/spare bedroom while you get on your feet starting a new life/finish restoring it?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
JFC, do you all not know how much solid tires would destroy both dick's bike and body if he road 20mi per day?
He's just running the wrong tires, a problem that will resolve itself by end of business tuesday.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Delivery McGee posted:

What's the plan for once the truck is running? Ride shotgun to Florida and live in Danno's backyard/garage/spare bedroom while you get on your feet starting a new life/finish restoring it?

Dans in south dakota, Sims is the owner in Orlando. I was figuring on riding from Orlando to see Kennedy Space Center, and from there to New Orleans after seeing what Florida has to offer. Then Tremek has offered to set the camper up on his property, then I look into a job, shelter, and recovering the Rosie blubberlumpkins

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

In other news, I may have figured out why dave's camper lights aren't working. He's got a 12V power converter/charging system on board the camper, and it needs a 12V battery connected in circuit in order for the interior lights to function. The battery is usually stored in a box in front of the propane tanks and Dave said that there are a pair of wires there. I suggested using the truck battery temporarily. Yes, it's not deep cycle, but the lights are pretty low current drain, and the power converter would keep the truck battery topped off without needing DJDADDO's battery charger.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 9, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

nm posted:

JFC, do you all not know how much solid tires would destroy both dick's bike and body if he road 20mi per day?
He's just running the wrong tires, a problem that will resolve itself by end of business tuesday.

Are you talking about the foam ones?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

MullardEL34 posted:

In other news, I may have figured out why dave's camper lights aren't working. He's got a 12V power converter/charging system on board the camper, and it needs a 12V battery connected in circuit in order for the interior lights to function. The battery is usually stored in a box in front of the propane tanks and Dave said that there are a pair of wires there. I suggested using the truck battery temporarily. Yes, it's not deep cycle, but the lights are pretty low current drain, and the power converter would keep the truck battery topped off without needing DJDADDO's battery charger.

That should work fine.

Modern RVs don't even need batteries to have functional interior electrics, there's some kind of bypass circuit built in for anything newer than late ninetys or so, I think.

Dave, does the fridge not work? Or is it purely an ice box? Mine had a pilot light but it was a pain to light, it was also three way power, so it could work off of 12vdc 120ac, or just propane.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Propane fridges are universally poo poo though.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Slung Blade posted:

That should work fine.

Modern RVs don't even need batteries to have functional interior electrics, there's some kind of bypass circuit built in for anything newer than late ninetys or so, I think.

Dave, does the fridge not work? Or is it purely an ice box? Mine had a pilot light but it was a pain to light, it was also three way power, so it could work off of 12vdc 120ac, or just propane.

This is a 1985 model. No bypass circuit. The battery does double duty as a battery and filter capacitor for all the 12V circuits. The charger/converter is most likely a crude switch mode power supply or some kind of weird bridge rectified and diode dropped power supply that needs a battery act as a filter capacitor, less the interior lights act all weird and create all kinds of RF noise.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 9, 2017

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

^^^yeah I know, sorry I was just explaining for other folks who aren't familiar with RVs, that's why I said it should work, but I should have added "with the truck battery in place" to be explicit, I've been sick all week so I apologize.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

All the ones I've ever used seemed perfectly serviceable. Even the one in my tent trailer was ok as long as the external grate wasn't in sunlight all day (the temperature setting dial was worthless though, it was 1-10 with no indication of which side was colder).

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 9, 2017

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Slung Blade posted:

^^^yeah I know, sorry I was just explaining for other folks who aren't familiar with RVs, that's why I said it should work, but I should have added "with the truck battery in place" to be explicit, I've been sick all week so I apologize.

All the ones I've ever used seemed perfectly serviceable. Even the one in my tent trailer was ok as long as the external grate wasn't in sunlight all day (the temperature setting dial was worthless though, it was 1-10 with no indication of which side was colder).

Dude, no worries. I'm fighting an Ear infection myself. Earaches suck. Thankfully the antibiotics have started working.

I suggest you read up on the history of the Servel Corporation and their products...

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 9, 2017

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

DICK DICER posted:

Dans in south dakota, Sims is the owner in Orlando. I was figuring on riding from Orlando to see Kennedy Space Center, and from there to New Orleans after seeing what Florida has to offer. Then Tremek has offered to set the camper up on his property, then I look into a job, shelter, and recovering the Rosie blubberlumpkins
Oh, right, the workspace was provided by an third party who has since moved out. But basically I was right, living in one of our backyards and getting your life back on track? Good for you. I'd offer you my yard, but I live in a trailer park and they have rules about outbuildings and would probably frown upon that sort of thing, and my parents have enough idiot sons already (to be fair, I only set fire to the entire backyard ONCE, so I guess I'm about even with you.)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

MullardEL34 posted:

You need to read up on the History of the Servel Corporation...

Were they poo poo then, too?

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Were they poo poo then, too?

There are thousands of them still in use in homes across the lower 48 and Alaska. Most of them run on Natural gas though. Servel actually died out not because their products were inferior, but because they designed the automatic ice maker that all fridges use today. Frigidaire bought out Servel just for the ice maker patent and killed off the Servel brand shortly thereafter. Some firm in Europe bought the rights to the gas powered refrigeration system, and they are still being built there by a successor company.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 9, 2017

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

antimatt posted:

This album, and specifically Tres Brujas, is what got me into The Sword. This album is stellar start to finish.

Apocryphon is basically the no-continuity-gap sequel to Warp Riders IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pjSmHC1VwY

E: Cloak of Feathers is basically the afterword to Tres Brujas

spookykid fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 9, 2017

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Dannywilson posted:

Aaaaand then Warp Riders fucks with my state of mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjKI_U9ENwU

E: goddamn I love that album cover.

I'm not really a metal guy but this fuckin' rules hard.

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010

DICK DICER posted:

I was figuring on riding from Orlando to see Kennedy Space Center, and from there to New Orleans after seeing what Florida has to offer.

I live across the river from Kennedy and I can tell you, it's pretty drat cool. There's a decent visitor's center and a very good bus tour (at least there was when I went like 10 years ago). Also, north of the space center (on the same island) there is a wildlife refuge with some nature trails and a nice beach.

The only real downside to biking in Florida, as I see it, is the drivers. Otherwise, it's very flat here and you'll be here during our slightly cooler season, so I imagine that you'll be pretty comfortable when riding.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

"It's very flat" also translates to "it's a boring 12 hour drive out of this state, I cannot imagine biking it without putting a gun in my mouth before I finished."

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010
I'm so used to the flatness that when I was in Seattle last year, my ears would pop if we moved more than fifty feet in elevation.

E: the highest point in Florida is like 320ft above sea level.

a cat irl fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 9, 2017

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I remember those days, my ears used to pop SO BAD when I flew because I lived in the flat rear end midwest.

Now I live and work in the rockies and my ears basically never pop.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

I use a propane fridge somewhat regularly. It gets used pretty heavily at certain times of the year. It's from 1985 and is fine :shrug:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lmao djdaddo drove out just to tell me I'm gonna be one cold son of a bitch tonight, but that I'd probably be okay then left haha

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The price of bug death.

kzersatz
Oct 13, 2012

How's it the kiss of death, if I have no lips?
College Slice

DICK DICER posted:

Lmao djdaddo drove out just to tell me I'm gonna be one cold son of a bitch tonight, but that I'd probably be okay then left haha

Dawwweee djdaddo cares

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Elephanthead posted:

The price of bug death.

I lust for winged insect death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MrYenko posted:

"It's very flat" also translates to "it's a boring 12 hour drive out of this state, I cannot imagine biking it without putting a gun in my mouth before I finished."

I used to drive to NY and back a lot, and can confirm the worst part is just getting out of FL and GA which is basically half the trip. Biking that would make me want to kill myself, confirming that as well.

a cat irl posted:

I'm so used to the flatness that when I was in Seattle last year, my ears would pop if we moved more than fifty feet in elevation.

E: the highest point in Florida is like 320ft above sea level.

My ears pop going over the Sunshine Skyway which is 430ft above sea level :v:

So technically that's the highest point you can drive your car on anyway lol.

• Locked thread