Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

drrockso20 posted:

Marvel Hercules was born a god I believe

No, he was born half-god, then elevated to god status upon his mortal death. Although Greg Pak's run revealed that only the god half of his soul was elevated, while the mortal half was left to languish in Hades, but the point stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Right at this moment, as I type this, my cat Cheeto is a few feet away from me, nearing death due to a terrible, incurable disease. He has anywhere from a few days to a few hours left. I feel heartbroken, angry, powerless in the face of this disease, while grateful for the time I've had with him, happy to have known him. This comic strikes me to the core of these almost opposing emotions, breaking my heart anew while also helping it to mend.

Thank you for posting this.

For what its worth, you gave your friend a good life, with lots of love, affection and tasty treats, and I'm sure if he could speak he'd tell you how happy he was to have you as a friend. I can't begin to imagine what it will be like for you when he passes, but know that you've been good to him, and you gave him a happy life, and that's the greatest gift we can give to our furry companions.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

OptimusShr posted:

I had to put my cat down at the end of August and this hit me so hard. :(

Same.

We adopted a blind feral streetcat with one eye and gave him a life he would never have had. He learnt to trust and love humans so much.

This comic hit me and my wife REALLY hard in the feels. It's crushingly sad and heartbreakingly, beautifully uplifting at the same time.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

McCloud posted:

For what its worth, you gave your friend a good life, with lots of love, affection and tasty treats, and I'm sure if he could speak he'd tell you how happy he was to have you as a friend. I can't begin to imagine what it will be like for you when he passes, but know that you've been good to him, and you gave him a happy life, and that's the greatest gift we can give to our furry companions.

Well put. Thank you :unsmith:

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

McCloud posted:

I may not be the person you are quoting but this is fantastic. I know my kitty was happy to have me. She would always perk up when I came home and held my hand many times. She was the best.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Lone wolf and cub 31

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

This cat you see sometimes at the top of the forums was Winston. He had to be put down last Monday at 21 years old. He had an infection that wouldn't go away and his kidneys were starting to fail. No cat I've ever been around loved people like he did. We had to rehome him after finding out our daughter was allergic (level 3 allergy) to cats. He loved his then-current caretaker until the end. I wish I'd gotten to see him one last time before the end, but I know everywhere he lived after us he got love just like he did at our house. I miss our cuddle-pig. I always will. This hit me right where he lived.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rocket #6

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I can't believe Gatecrasher and the Technet are in a modern day book getting straight up moments. That's great.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

ManiacClown posted:

This cat you see sometimes at the top of the forums was Winston. He had to be put down last Monday at 21 years old. He had an infection that wouldn't go away and his kidneys were starting to fail. No cat I've ever been around loved people like he did. We had to rehome him after finding out our daughter was allergic (level 3 allergy) to cats. He loved his then-current caretaker until the end. I wish I'd gotten to see him one last time before the end, but I know everywhere he lived after us he got love just like he did at our house. I miss our cuddle-pig. I always will. This hit me right where he lived.

Had to do the same for the cat I mentioned in my last post, Cheeto, on Friday. My deepest condolences to you; the loss of a pet is a very hard, very particular kind of grief.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Book of Death: Fall of Ninjak

The backstory: Book of Death is an event about a little kid from the future coming to the present and having a book that only she can read that explains a huge threat that's going to mess up the world. As a tie-in, various creative teams would write one-shots about how their characters die in this possible future.

Ninjak is part of an Avengers/JLA team called Unity where they're all exceptional at what they do and get the job done, but for the most part, they aren't exactly on the friendliest terms. Ninjak and the Eternal Warrior usually butt heads and the Book of Death main story has them finally come to blows in a bloody throwdown. Now we see that decades later, an elderly Ninjak just hangs around in a temple, meditating all day. A corrupt AI clone of his old maybe-love-interest Livewire shows up and offers him a role in her plan to turn Japan into Asteroid M and escape Earth.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
How is he holding that katana?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Toshimo posted:

How is he holding that katana?

Magnetic Robot Arm from the looks of it. The arm, elbow, forearm and wrist/hand are separate bits connected by an invisible force, probably magmatism. The wrist/hand orb 'holds' that sword.

"My friend, my oldest ally and confidant, while we have argued in the past and I have many sins to repent for; but I am not long for this world and I wish to tell you this one, single truth afore we part ways, perhaps for the last time...

... You'd make the most bitchin' sensei for a rad Ninja Clan."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why even pretend to hold it when you can clearly just have it float all around?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Does anyone have this comic? A man in a suit walks by a homless person and they recognize each other. They realize that they both have superpowers and used to fight each other. There’s no hard feelings, and the man in the suit offers to buy the homeless man lunch. They walk away, and a zoom in to one of the homeless man’s newspaper clippings reveals that he was a superhero, and the besuited man was a supervillain.

It was hammy, but I liked it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Ariong posted:

Does anyone have this comic? A man in a suit walks by a homless person and they recognize each other. They realize that they both have superpowers and used to fight each other. There’s no hard feelings, and the man in the suit offers to buy the homeless man lunch. They walk away, and a zoom in to one of the homeless man’s newspaper clippings reveals that he was a superhero, and the besuited man was a supervillain.

It was posted right here in this thread. Gimme a sec

Edit: There we go:

W.T. Fits posted:

Found this on imugur a few minutes ago, thought some people here might appreciate it:

Apparently from a series called Common Grounds.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Ariong posted:

Gets reposted on Imgur every once in a while, and yeah, I like it as well.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Endless Mike posted:

Why even pretend to hold it when you can clearly just have it float all around?

Well, it's not psychokinesis, presumably, it's just a prosthetic arm but with magnets instead of joints.

I mean, it's comic books, but "a fancy arm but still an arm" would be easier to get used to than installing some sort of telekinesis-cyber-implant thing and learning how to use that. He needs to put all possible time into training his rad Ninja Clan as requested by his dead best friend and also probably spray painting the sickest wizard taking a bong hit onto the side of his van.

The wizard has 'Weedomancer' written under it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I remember arguing politics with Troy Hickman who wrote Common Grounds. It was fun, he's super libertarian.

Also, didn't Ninjak have a folding sword at one time?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

LashLightning posted:

his dead best friend

Being dead isn't really Gilad's style.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Push El Burrito posted:

Also, didn't Ninjak have a folding sword at one time?

Possibly? Old school X-O had a telescoping sword for a time.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That arm is neat, especially in a profession that tends to overwork the poo poo out of everything.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LashLightning posted:

The arm, elbow, forearm and wrist/hand are separate bits connected by an invisible force, probably magmatism.

Held together my the immeasurable power of lava.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ninjak definitely had a folding sword back in the original Valiant days but I can't find a pic. I must have seen it in Deathmate since I don't recall ever reading many Valiant comics.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

Ninjak definitely had a folding sword back in the original Valiant days but I can't find a pic. I must have seen it in Deathmate since I don't recall ever reading many Valiant comics.

You should ready some of the new stuff as it has been great for years

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

You should ready some of the new stuff as it has been great for years

I read some of the earlier stuff of the current run but fell off everything but Archer & Armstrong. I dunno, it wasn't really hooking me for the most part (but really few superhero books are these days).

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

While I'm at it, Book of Death: Fall of Bloodshot.

Bloodshot's deal is that he's basically a Weapon X experiment, just in the Valiant universe. He's a soldier infused with nannites that give him a healing factor and various other abilities. He used to be a mind-wiped pawn of a secret military organization, but broke away from that. His status quo never stays static for very long and even in this one issue, he goes from being a pirate to an eskimo to a space soldier to a space king to a dinosaur hunter. By this point, he's been alive for centuries, but has always known that his end would be a violent and chaotic one because life would never allow him to know peace.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Toshimo posted:

Held together my the immeasurable power of lava.

I am Magmeto, Master of Magmatism. Xmem, Melcome to Die!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The Bloodshot stuff made me remember where I saw his cool folding sword!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Endless Mike posted:

Part of Ninjak's gimmick is that he has everything. He's their Batman, except a little more bullshit and he kills people.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

wiegieman posted:

Part of Ninjak's gimmick is that he has everything. He's their Batman, except a little more bullshit and he kills people.

Ah, so Deathstroke then.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Push El Burrito posted:

Bloodshot looks so offended in that last panel.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

TwoPair posted:

Ah, so Deathstroke then.

Other than the healing factor thing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

wiegieman posted:

Ninjak's reluctant to kill, but doesn't lose any sleep over it. It's refreshing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Push El Burrito posted:

Come on, man, the bulls-eye is right there.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I didn't read much Valient as a kid but the recent reboot has been pretty cool.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The only Valiant comics I read as a kid were the Nintendo ones, because Nintendo. :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How could a ninja stab a man dressed as the Japanese flag?!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Synthbuttrange posted:

How could a ninja stab a man dressed as the Japanese flag?!

Ninjak being a white dude from England probably helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Ok this has been driving me nuts ever since the Valiant reboot.
Do you say it like Nin Jack or Ninja K.