Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

I have so many questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Enourmo posted:

It's loving brilliant.
That's awesome, thanks for the explanation.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Enourmo posted:

Enlightening info

Hey Enourmo you're really good at explaining mildly complex things in basic enough terms to be useful while still not sounding condescending and at the same time not using too few details to let the truly uninformed get up to speed, I've noticed a couple times where my previous understanding of things went from "It's down to some sort of magic" to knowing considerably more about the actual practical reason because of your breakdowns. Thanks!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Darchangel posted:

Oh, awesome!
You're going to rip those and put them up on YT or Soundcloud or something right? RIGHT?

I'm trying to get my hands on a functional record player with aux or USB output to get a background noise-free file. Clear recording reasons aside, none of my Grandmas players will spin for more that 45 seconds before resetting the arm(?) and turning off, so I can't even get the needle past the first few grooves

I don't even know what is on these yet, but analogue recordings of "random engine noises, possibly without commentary" is the most niche thing I've ever heard of

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

My Grandma just moved to Wisconsin and we found these records in her house as we got it ready to sell

Somehow I missed this post the first time, mind if I share this picture with a friend or two?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Hey Enourmo you're really good at explaining mildly complex things in basic enough terms to be useful while still not sounding condescending and at the same time not using too few details to let the truly uninformed get up to speed, I've noticed a couple times where my previous understanding of things went from "It's down to some sort of magic" to knowing considerably more about the actual practical reason because of your breakdowns. Thanks!

Yup same here!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/LW5GEgi.mp4

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Superb.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
That hurts my loving brain

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DICK DICER posted:

That hurts my loving brain

Now imagine a truck doing that.

In a race.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

iospace posted:

Now imagine a truck doing that.

In a race.

Imagine the cabin noise and wind resistance

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wasabi the J posted:

Imagine the cabin noise and wind resistance

Counterpoint: 24 hours of LeMons (read: I don't think they gave a poo poo)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Door Frame posted:

I'm trying to get my hands on a functional record player with aux or USB output to get a background noise-free file. Clear recording reasons aside, none of my Grandmas players will spin for more that 45 seconds before resetting the arm(?) and turning off, so I can't even get the needle past the first few grooves

I don't even know what is on these yet, but analogue recordings of "random engine noises, possibly without commentary" is the most niche thing I've ever heard of

Please please please I'm dying to hear ALL of it :allears:

Late but that sure reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLFaNX4WkZ0

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

mekilljoydammit posted:

Not emptyquoting. Though not sure what I'd put it in.

Well if it were up to me:
1970 Mustang with Boss 429 appearance package minus the boss decals. Chin spoilers, etc.
Art Morrison Frame with IRS
Corvette Transaxle to try and counterbalance that big hunk of motor. Prolly need a C6 ZR1 unit

Yeah... something like that would be good.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Coredump posted:

Well if it were up to me:
1970 Mustang with Boss 429 appearance package minus the boss decals. Chin spoilers, etc.
Art Morrison Frame with IRS
Corvette Transaxle to try and counterbalance that big hunk of motor. Prolly need a C6 ZR1 unit

Yeah... something like that would be good.

Yeah, that's the modern take on it. It makes me think about pulling molds from a '70 fastback and building a carbon bodied Trans Am car tbh - I'm not sure how many off the shelf frames really do a better job at IRS than a good live axle implementation.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

EDIT: Reading comprehension

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Finger Prince posted:

Somehow I missed this post the first time, mind if I share this picture with a friend or two?

Go for it!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It'll buff out.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
At a guess? In Soviet hippie community, tree hugs you.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Brazil

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMv_f2atWUM

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was thinking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZshIb5IJQU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Saw a Lotus Elite shooting brake on the weekend and good gravy do I like that body style. Didn't get a picture because I was driving, but have a shot of my all-time shooting brake favourite, the Aston Martin Virage.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like a hot wheels with the 5 spoke wheels and meaty, meaty tires.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I actually think that the decision behind those tyres was so that you could take your £165,000 car (1992 money)* out on to the moors and pack your gun dogs into the back of it with your shotgun after a solid morning's pheasant hunting. I mean, that's where the term "shooting brake" comes from, isn't it?

*£325,050 in today's money, or $425,360.92 USD.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Uh...that sidewall/wheel ratio was pretty normal until the late 90s.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Thick sidewalls own :colbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Terrible Robot posted:

Thick sidewalls own :colbert:

especially when you live in Wisconsin where the roads are poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or anywhere where the roads aren't glassy smooth.

Tires have taken a bit of function follows form the last couple decades.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

Uh...that sidewall/wheel ratio was pretty normal until the late 90s.

Yup. I remember the tires on my dad's new 1994 Camaro seemed impossibly this at the time, and they were 245/50R16.

With those awesomely chunky BFG Comp T/A ZR tires on them.

xzzy posted:

Or anywhere where the roads aren't glassy smooth.

Tires have taken a bit of function follows form the last couple decades.

Counterpoint: pretty much every modern performance tire relies on short, stiff sidewalls. Thus, I had to go to 20s to find anything useful in a 28-29" tall tire.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Awesome results for the FIAT 124 Spider Abarth in C&D's Lighting Lap at Virginia International Raceway.

Here's the lap:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTWJ7Ogi8z4

The results:

FIAT 124 ABARTH: 3:16.9
Mazda MX-5 Miata Club: 3:20.8

Nearly four seconds faster for such similar cars. Midrange torque was the difference, allowing fewer downshifts and holding more power in critical areas, and slides rather than braking in other areas.

Four seconds is a freaking eternity. The FIAT's engine and suspension makes it far superior to track work.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
And the WRX is another five faster so I'm not sure what you're crowing about, unless it's that they made something smaller and nimbler slower.

I mean slow convertibles is nothing new so...

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That's pretty cool. I wasn't a fan of the styling of the 124 Spider when they first came out but it's growing on me.

^^ hardly comparing apples to apples, the WRX is 178hp/ton and the Fiat is 144 hp/ton. Car and Driver has the WRX as nearly 2 seconds (4.8 vs 6.7) faster 0-60.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I just love Arizona

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

I just love Arizona

The green isn't quite right but props for a refreshing paintjob.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/v219lxH.mp4

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

All of us IRL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Bet he lost it immediately after making that video.