Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I found this article

quote:

Xbox One: 12 a.m. October 10
Windows 10: 12 a.m. October 10
PS4: 12 a.m. October 10
Steam: 1 p.m. ET October 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The person who wrote that just looked at the steam store page without having any idea that it's almost always wrong when it comes to AAA releases.
Top tier games journalism as usual.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Am currently watching all the extended versions of LotR to add to my hype train.

Was also looking for my replica of the one ring earlier but funnily enough I seem to have lost the drat thing.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

god drat i wish WB hadn't filled this game with so much poo poo to make it hard to warrant buying, i really want it but singleplayer microtransactions on a £45 game would be a no go on any other game (because seriously? what the gently caress?)

this seems like a pretty clear example of devs making a good game then publishers loving everything up, i'm torn between hoping monolith makes lots of money and hoping the game flops so publishers cut this poo poo out

e: this is like anti-marketing lol. 10 minutes ago i was hyped about pre-ordering

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

dogstile posted:

All I know is I bought the game and won't be able to play it until the weekend because i've got overwatch practice for the entire week with very little time to play, even if I wasn't booked my internet is so poo poo it's going to take about a day to download it.

*grumble grumble*

If your Internet is bad how are you going to do Overwatch practice

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

god drat i wish WB hadn't filled this game with so much poo poo to make it hard to warrant buying, i really want it but singleplayer microtransactions on a £45 game would be a no go on any other game (because seriously? what the gently caress?)

this seems like a pretty clear example of devs making a good game then publishers loving everything up, i'm torn between hoping monolith makes lots of money and hoping the game flops so publishers cut this poo poo out

e: this is like anti-marketing lol. 10 minutes ago i was hyped about pre-ordering

The fact that the game has microtransactions in the first place is pretty lovely but how do you think they'll negatively affect you game experience in this case?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

The fact that the game has microtransactions in the first place is pretty lovely but how do you think they'll negatively affect you game experience in this case?

I'll pay 45 pounds then have to see adverts asking me to buy more fake money in the expensive rear end game I just bought.

That will piss me off, making me regret encouraging these practices by giving them money and take me out of the game.

I barely play cheap multi games with this kinda stuff cause its annoying as hell and rude imo

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Micro transactions are lovely. That which we can all agree. This game will sell bonkers regardless of that, so abandon any hope of the publisher learning any lessons or anything.

All signs point to this being an awesome game in spite of them. I guess the final verdict will be out on them tonight/tomorrow but I'm not concerned with them.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Viridiant posted:

Yeah, my tired brain misread that whole series of posts.

Time Zones are loving crazy. They're way harder to deal with than you think. Tell my parents: "Redreader why are you sleeping all day?" "well I'm a night person already and already hate mornings, but now, coming home, I'm NINE HOURS behind so when it's time for me to go to bed where I live, if I were a normal person and I'm not, it would be time for you to get up here". Parents: "no you are wasting your life"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

SettingSun posted:

Micro transactions are lovely. That which we can all agree. This game will sell bonkers regardless of that, so abandon any hope of the publisher learning any lessons or anything.

All signs point to this being an awesome game in spite of them. I guess the final verdict will be out on them tonight/tomorrow but I'm not concerned with them.

I'm not so sure looking around word of mouth is v negative and this isn't a huge brand where you can just ignore that stuff easily.

Don't mind being wrong tho cause I like monolith a lot.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

I'm not so sure looking around word of mouth is v negative and this isn't a huge brand where you can just ignore that stuff easily.

Don't mind being wrong tho cause I like monolith a lot.

The word of mouth is negative among people who follow this stuff, which is just a small portion of the target audience.

Personally I'm waiting for a sale. Probably a goty edition with all the dlc down the road. It's not like I don't have a billion games to play right now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I figure the microtransactions will probably be easy enough to ignore, hopefully, especially if you want a challenge. Hope so, anyway, I'll have to wait and see.

I was pretty late to the party on the original; I liked it, but it got a bit too easy towards the end. Looks like they took that to heart, at least.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Anybody know if you can VPN spoof the Windows 10 store? I bought this one on Xbox and it's a Play Anywhere title. Trying to figure out if it's worth downloading the PC version while I'm at work today so I can get some time in with it this evening by unlocking it at Hong Kong time or whatever.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Through a South Korean VPN:

Here's to hoping that just suddenly unlocks in ~1 hour like that dev said it would.

I remember Shadows of Mordor unlocking at a weird time when it came out, a couple hours early or something like that?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Dragonstoned posted:

Am currently watching all the extended versions of LotR to add to my hype train.

Was also looking for my replica of the one ring earlier but funnily enough I seem to have lost the drat thing.

Movie orcs are garbage. They just warble and honk with overproduced animal roars.mix and they're no fun except for the LOOKS LIKE MEAT'S BACK ON THE MENU BOYS. He's a good predecessor to the som sow orcs

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

sticksy posted:

Can you have sex with Orcs in this one, y/n

They've been loving me pretty hard a couple different times so Y

Skandranon posted:

How about you ship it to me instead? You don't properly appreciate it.

True

Deakul posted:

How long does the game wait to give you access to branding? How's loot variety? Anything cool to know about the collectables?

I haven't gotten it yet but I'm not in Act 2 where it's been made clear the army poo poo starts happening. Loot variety has been pretty good so far. The items have different unlockable abilities in addition to inherent ones. Things like gain health on crits, gain health on executions, every X seconds do Y with quick shot, set enemies on fire, etc. Plus set bonuses with certain gear. Collectibles seem to unlock skill modifiers when you complete them in a region but I haven't bothered finishing one yet.

Jack Trades posted:

If you've played for long enough. How long does it take to get to Act 2?

Not that far yet and I played maybe 6-8 hours total so far but a lot of it has been farting around murdering orcs. I think I've only done maybe 13 Story quests so far. It'll probably be pretty soon given the story beat I'm currently on.

The patch was 11gb I think FYI.

I've already run into Kumali but haven't successfully murdered him yet.

Oh, and the microtransaction chest I got for beating some randos Online Nemesis mission gave me two Epic (I think) items I could use and 3 named Epic orcs for my army that I couldn't do anything with because I'm not in Act 2 yet.

Teabag Dome Scandal fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 9, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

dogstile posted:

All I know is I bought the game and won't be able to play it until the weekend because i've got overwatch practice for the entire week with very little time to play, even if I wasn't booked my internet is so poo poo it's going to take about a day to download it.

*grumble grumble*

Video game...practice

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Huh, I grabbed a South Korean VPN.

But all that happened was that it downloaded a ~120MB patch, and that was that.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 9, 2017

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Tried a South Korean VPN aswell but nothing happened and when I clicked on it it gave me the "nope not out yet" message :(

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Dragonstoned posted:

Tried a South Korean VPN aswell but nothing happened and when I clicked on it it gave me the "nope not out yet" message :(

Same :/

Can whoever has it working through a SK VPN outline their steps? I assume its just 1. Connect to VPN 2. Start Steam 3. Steam should unlock this loving game for me and stop orc-blocking me

Sgt. Cosgrove fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 9, 2017

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Same with New Zealand, too.

I wonder if they hosed up, or if there's some miscommunication between them and valve, etc.

I remember the unlock time being a bit fucky for Shadows of Mordor too, though I can't remember what exactly happened. ( It was supposed to unlock at valve's standard time, and then suddenly got unlocked at midnight in some regions, or something? )

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

you can override preload unlock timers, so devs either set them incorrectly or decide unlocking early isn't going to annoy retail/different platforms

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

It's definitely out in Korea. There are a couple Korean streams up on twitch already.

vv I have been bamboozled :mad:

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 9, 2017

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Gyoru posted:

It's definitely out in Korea. There are a couple Korean streams up on twitch already.

Using a South Korean VPN works. It's unlocking right now. I'm not using a free VPN like FlyVPN etc though.

Unlocking, or simply downloading the ~120MB day 1 patch / exe? I thought the same a little while ago.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
There are a few ways to do differing release times, I have never actually fiddled with it, but I think you can have separate versions per region or just have a single version with differing unlock times. A VPN will get you around the latter, but for the former it's all tied to the key so if you buy an EU key you don't get to activate your game until the sever says the EU region is active no matter where in the world your VPN says you are.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

True

I haven't gotten it yet but I'm not in Act 2 where it's been made clear the army poo poo starts happening. Loot variety has been pretty good so far. The items have different unlockable abilities in addition to inherent ones. Things like gain health on crits, gain health on executions, every X seconds do Y with quick shot, set enemies on fire, etc. Plus set bonuses with certain gear. Collectibles seem to unlock skill modifiers when you complete them in a region but I haven't bothered finishing one yet.

Not that far yet and I played maybe 6-8 hours total so far but a lot of it has been farting around murdering orcs. I think I've only done maybe 13 Story quests so far. It'll probably be pretty soon given the story beat I'm currently on.

Oh, and the microtransaction chest I got for beating some randos Online Nemesis mission gave me two Epic (I think) items I could use and 3 named Epic orcs for my army that I couldn't do anything with because I'm not in Act 2 yet.

Dang, kind of miffed that they still make you work for a bit for the best ability in the franchise.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

True

I'm actually kinda glad to hear you don't get into all the army poo poo too quickly since all the previews are very 'this is the game now' whereas my favorite bits in SoM were early on when you were weak and still sneaking around and actually fighting more than two captains at a time was risky.

I'm also glad to hear loot is worth paying attention to and tweaking, as opposed to SoM where you pretty much destroyed anything that wasn't a gold time and forgot about it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Phi230 posted:

Video game...practice

I'm dumb and want to play in tourney's, don't mind me.

CharlestonJew posted:

If your Internet is bad how are you going to do Overwatch practice

On the offchance that this is actually a serious post, the bandwidth needed to actually play an online game is loving minuscule compared to downloading one.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I'm still excited for the game overall but man... loot crates have always been stupid, but this is some next-level stuff. It's like those 'shortcut packs' in Assassin's Creed and Battlefield- you're essentially paying more money to play the game less, except it's randomized in this case, which is even dumber!

The universal negativity about this makes me hope that it'll go the way of Diablo
III's auction house and get killed off shortly after launch, but part of me feels like anyone that actually buys any of these deserves to lose their cash. I'll stick to grinding.

(I haven't kept up in this thread for a few weeks so I'm sorry if I'm the nine thousandth person to say this, but w/e)

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The universal negativity about this makes me hope that it'll go the way of Diablo
III's auction house and get killed off shortly after launch, but part of me feels like anyone that actually buys any of these deserves to lose their cash. I'll stick to grinding.

The auction house didn't disappear shortly after release. It lasted 22 months.

Micro transactions are going nowhere. They're pretty benign in this game, and completely ignorable.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Lumpy the Cook posted:

(I haven't kept up in this thread for a few weeks so I'm sorry if I'm the nine thousandth person to say this, but w/e)

You are, but there's nothing wrong with that, i haven't meet anyone that likes MTs and loot crates yet. I don't know what more to say about them tho. I think it's very unlikely that WB removes them given their trackrecord.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I'm still excited for the game overall but man... loot crates have always been stupid, but this is some next-level stuff. It's like those 'shortcut packs' in Assassin's Creed and Battlefield- you're essentially paying more money to play the game less, except it's randomized in this case, which is even dumber!

This is roughly the thread consensus so welcome friend.

Game will still probably be good though.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I was updating my drivers to prepare and realized that SoW has Ansel support. I can't fuckin wait to take some dope screenshots!

Hopefully the steam countdown is just fucky somehow cause it seems strange to not have a midnight release like every other big game.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Baron posted:

I was updating my drivers to prepare and realized that SoW has Ansel support.

How do you use that?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Though I should point out that it's unlikley the micro transactions will bother you.

Apparently it's unneeded to progress though the game and you get tons of Mirran for buying the chests and other upgrades if you want to. There are also daily challenges that give you gold (The currency you have to pay for) But it can be ignored from what is said. It's basically a cheat shop.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dongattack posted:

How do you use that?

Alt-F10 or F2 I think? Not many games have used it, but it's basically screenshot mode on steroids.

edit: Alt-F2

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That's a developer.

Apparently the release time is global and the steam countdown is accurate.

EDIT: Hmm, apparently they're having some Steam issues right now and not even the dev knows what's going on.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 9, 2017

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

That's a developer.

Apparently the release time is global and the steam countdown is accurate.

EDIT: Hmm, apparently they're having some Steam issues right now and not even the dev knows what's going on.

Yup, amongst other fun things, it's not possible to buy the game on steam anymore, and it's been like that for nearly 2 hours or so?

It's definately not a smooth launch, especially with rumors around that it's out for SK-VPN users from the windows store, etc.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

From what I understand, Steam was supposed to be a rolling release too (i.e. playable now if you fly the VPN airlines to Seoul), but it's on Monolith's side; they're trying to fix that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

canepazzo posted:

From what I understand, Steam was supposed to be a rolling release too (i.e. playable now if you fly the VPN airlines to Seoul), but it's on Monolith's side; they're trying to fix that now.

So does that mean that if they're able to fix it, we can expect to see an earlier release than what Steam states?

It'd be nice if the UK release was earlier than 22 hours from now.

• Locked thread