Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
2015 were different times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EssOEss posted:

2015 were different times.

Yes, they are super secure now.

https://twitter.com/EclipsingR/status/917135137971822592

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

normal people would never understand "hash and salt" so they just say "encrypted". i'm not saying they arent storing passwords w/ reversible encryption, just that this isnt exactly compelling evidence

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

NEED MORE MILK posted:

normal people would never understand "hash and salt" so they just say "encrypted". i'm not saying they arent storing passwords w/ reversible encryption, just that this isnt exactly compelling evidence

they were emailed the password

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/gadievron/status/917122274280472576

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

ate all the Oreos posted:

oh well :rip:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

Come now, I'm sure they had the standard disclaimer in the footer that if the person wasn't the intended recipient to delete the message. No one disregards those.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
How does a modern website even manage store passwords now? If you know what you're doing you're going to salt and hash. If you don't know what you're doing every webapp-in-a-box template/module is going to salt and hash your user's passwords.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
that's for basic not knowing what you're doing beginners, after a bit of experience you reach the sweet spot of not knowing what you're doing where you feel you don't need webapp-in-a-box any more because you can write real code like a grown-up

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

our company just ditched kaspersky - seems like everyone is moving away from it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Rip Eugene

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i think the kaspersky stuff is most likely xenophobic cold warrior bullshit fud but what do i know :shrug:

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

ThePeavstenator posted:

How does a modern website even manage store passwords now? If you know what you're doing you're going to salt and hash. If you don't know what you're doing every webapp-in-a-box template/module is going to salt and hash your user's passwords.

You'd think so but the tutorials are often so wrong that it ends up not being secure even if you copy-paste straight off the official guides: Your Node.js authentication tutorial is (probably) wrong

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ThePeavstenator posted:

People are loving dumb is why.
The first time I made a database to store passwords I thought to myself "Self, don't be a dumb. Take a few hours, do some research, figure out the best way to store passwords." After a few hours I had a bcrypt/hash/salt setup going that stored passwords not in plain text and I thought it was pretty decent.

99.99999% of the people out there won't even think about "Don't be dumb" and will just go about storing poo poo in plain text.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i have no idea what this company does but here is their latest tweet https://twitter.com/Twoo/status/915231291397869569

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

anthonypants posted:

i have no idea what this company does but here is their latest tweet https://twitter.com/Twoo/status/915231291397869569

faq says

What is Twoo?

Twoo is the most fun way to meet new people in your area.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Midjack posted:

faq says

What is Twoo?

Twoo is the most fun way to meet new people in your area.

okay but how do i change my date of birth

burning swine
May 26, 2004

good news everyone, paying for things is about to get easier! Nothing could possibly go wrong!

quote:

A new W3C standard is slowly creeping into current browser implementations, a standard that will simplify the way people make payments online.

Called the Payment Request API, this new standard relies on users entering and storing payment card details inside browsers, just like they currently do with passwords.

Websites will be able to use the standard to create one-click buttons that allow the user to buy a product without entering his payment details on each and every site on the Internet.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/technology/browsers-will-store-credit-card-details-similar-to-how-they-save-passwords/

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

that sounds like poo poo from an rear end

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
looks like a cool way for a website to transmit your credit card info over http, and have that decision abstracted away from you

the github is full of interesting questions, such as Should the API support field validation? or Should user agent validate currency? or How are digital signatures supported for Payment Requests?

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 9, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

my bitter bi rival posted:

i think the kaspersky stuff is most likely xenophobic cold warrior bullshit fud but what do i know :shrug:

....eeeeeehhhhhhhh, not really. There's been a push to remove Kaspersky Lab's employees and replace them with 'friendlier' faces that have ties to the Russian State Department, Intelligence, and Military.

They've even gone as far as charging Kaspersky Lab employees as US spies.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It isn't bullshit.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's also not new.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CommieGIR posted:

....eeeeeehhhhhhhh, not really. There's been a push to remove Kaspersky Lab's employees and replace them with 'friendlier' faces that have ties to the Russian State Department, Intelligence, and Military.

when the nsa does those things it's good :911:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
is amazon still suing people over one-click purchases or is that patent expiring soon

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
protip: if you're running an av client for some reason and you don't want random poo poo being exfiltrated to your av vendor, disable sample submission

like, is there any evidence that the nsa/kaspersky thing was anything other than that idiot contractor taking poo poo home and his av uploading flagged files?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

infernal machines posted:

protip: if you're running an av client for some reason and you don't want random poo poo being exfiltrated to your av vendor, disable sample submission

like, is there any evidence that the nsa/kaspersky thing was anything other than that idiot contractor taking poo poo home and his av uploading flagged files?
public evidence? nope. just a lot of posturing that could easily be a smokescreen for stopping foreign companies getting their products too close to national infrastructure

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

i didn't klnow that. thats interesting and i guess changes things a little but still think that if you are a normal home computer user, the russian state should probably not be a part of threat model. no one cares about you.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

i didn't klnow that. thats interesting and i guess changes things a little but still think that if you are a normal home computer user, the russian state should probably not be a part of threat model. no one cares about you.

next step: kaspersky internet security injecting fake news into your timeline/searches

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The def update sets allow for execution of arbitrary code on the endpoint as root/system and I bet you could slip something sneaky in there to target a specific client site if you really wanted to. If you're a big corporate or government and are concerned about being a target for that kind of thing then yeah, you should be using a domestic vendor. People still don't understand the level of control AV software has over an endpoint or how far its management hooks really extend and what that means for liability.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

infernal machines posted:

this is the first part of what happened

seems like after the sample was submitted, that employee was "coincidentally" targeted by Russian hackers, who were able to get pretty much everything else. there's no indication that Kaspersky or their software were involved in that hack, though, beyond happening to find the initial indication that got him targeted in the first place

at worst, they happened to receive the sample due to the contractor's fuckups, noticed that it was tied to a state actor, and notified their government. though they're denying that; their explanation for that coincidence is that maybe they'd been hacked too and the attacker found it in their networks. doesn't sound too likely to me, but Kaspersky's internal networks were hacked pretty badly back in 2015 when the events in question happened, so :shrug:

either way, the nsa's definitely overemphasizing the role of kaspersky in order to dodge the blame for their boneheaded idiocy. the contractor who was working on new hacking tools to replace the ones that were leaked by a previous contractor accidentally leaked them to an antivirus company, and then got his computer completely compromised by foreign hackers

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

looks like a cool way for a website to transmit your credit card info over http, and have that decision abstracted away from you
otoh since it's just a knockoff of pay they could do the right thing and have mandatory HTTPS and store payment data in a way that requires mandatory authentication against secure hardware https://developer.apple.com/documentation/applepayjs

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

otoh since it's just a knockoff of pay they could do the right thing and have mandatory HTTPS and store payment data in a way that requires mandatory authentication against secure hardware https://developer.apple.com/documentation/applepayjs

this definitely sounds like a thing browser developers are going to do

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

otoh since it's just a knockoff of pay they could do the right thing and have mandatory HTTPS
that sounds reasonable and likely

Cocoa Crispies posted:

and store payment data in a way that requires mandatory authentication against secure hardware
this, on the other hand

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

this definitely sounds like a thing browser developers are going to do

i mean 1/4 of them already did

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i mean 1/4 of them already did

what's the percentage by marketshare?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lightbulb Out posted:

our company just ditched kaspersky - seems like everyone is moving away from it

even my nontechnical coworkers are asking me what's a good antivirus these days (kaspersky users, its cheap and well marketed in latvia)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

freedom fries anti-virus

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
kaspersky has engaged in corporate espionage on other AV players on that note

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i think that has less to do with "they're russians and therefore spies and also evil" and more to do with "they're a corporation with the means to spy on their competitors"

honestly, i'd be more disappointed to hear that large IT companies don't routinely break into each other's poo poo

• Locked thread