Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Yeah, I really hate the decision to let any kind of hostile army spawn out of nowhere so close to your settlements. They should at least start a few turns away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

boho posted:

Intervention armies could use a polish pass. Having a Skaven stack with no less than 4 Hellpit Abominations, (not counting the warp cannons, death globadiers, stormvermin, and death runners) is maybe just a wee bit too much for turn 25. My level 3 capital garrison put up an excellent fight which bloodied the stack enough to let my main stack finish it off, but it still got razed in the process, putting me out ~40k gold in lost buildings + rebuild costs. I'm just not sure how to respond to a tier 3 intervention so early in the game outside of camping your main army in the capitol for 10 turns, which is almost as devastating in opportunity cost.

I'm a big fan of the 6 dragon plus lord on dragon high elf intervention army that pops up next to your capital and assaults the next turn.

Deranged M
Nov 14, 2012
This has been probably asked before but I can't seem to find it . I haven't played the first total war warhammer so if I wanna dive into the franchise , can I just start with 2 or is there a reason to play 1st one too ?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Deranged M posted:

This has been probably asked before but I can't seem to find it . I haven't played the first total war warhammer so if I wanna dive into the franchise , can I just start with 2 or is there a reason to play 1st one too ?

If you want to play in the new Grand campaign, Mortal Empires, you'll need both games. I'm not sure if you need the first game to park as the DLC races from it (I'm assume you do)

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Deranged M posted:

There's plenty of QOL improvements in the second but the first is still great, it really depends on which factions you want to play as TBH. You'll need both for the mega-campaign though.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Deranged M posted:

You don't need to play the first at all. They're very similar but feature different races and different parts of the Warhammer world, and 2 has slightly more polish. However, CA will soon be releasing a combined map featuring all the races released so far. If you want to play that you'll need both games.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I'm glad Mortal Empires just needs the first game in your library but note necessarily installed. I'm seriously considering Uninstalling the first game after ME is released simply to save on HDD space.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Panfilo posted:

I'm glad Mortal Empires just needs the first game in your library but note necessarily installed. I'm seriously considering Uninstalling the first game after ME is released simply to save on HDD space.

I already did that; there I was thinking a few years ago when I built this rig "who needs more than 1 terabyte lol", and look upon my folly now with games being fuckoff huge.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Deranged M posted:

The first game is a lot better, that's a nice reason to play it first.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I think the intervention armies being stupid strong is good since it makes them a credible threat even to the high garrisons, but they definitely shouldn't spawn with movement points and should probably start at the edge of your borders. Also the first ritual should only have the tier 1 or 2 option.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Mazz posted:

I think the intervention armies being stupid strong is good since it makes them a credible threat even to the high garrisons, but they definitely shouldn't spawn with movement points and should probably start at the edge of your borders. Also the first ritual should only have the tier 1 or 2 option.

My current strategy is to ignore the ritual, always buy 10k intervention armies and laugh as people doing the campaign get turbo hosed.

I think they need to flip the numbers for the intra-faction bonus and opposing faction penalty.

I've had an intervention force a 4x Phoenix Guard, 6x Dragons and 3x Dragon princes, plus some random chaff.

That army is going to dunk on anything the AI can field for the first hundred turns or so.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Mazz posted:

Started a VH malekith, Mung declared war by turn 16 with 3 stacks that moved together. The upkeep on 8 shades was my entire income.

Maybe spend your gold on something else than 8 shades, you can't really justify getting so many of them so early on Very Hard. Particularly since you are playing as Malekith who gets 50% less upkeep on the Darkshards.

Shades do become ridiculous murder machines later with tech and leader skills on but replacing your ranged units entirely with them that early is just not a very good idea.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 9, 2017

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Deranged M posted:

The first one is a better, cheaper and more complete game. There are a lot more reasons to play the first game than there are reasons to play this one at this time but that will change when this one gets all the love the first one did.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

LLSix posted:

I finally beat the War Crown of Saphery quest battle with VH Teclis. Sent a dragon to distract both groups of flanking rats. In the main fight, I had 4 spears, the phoenix, and the rest archers.
Archers focus fire dangerous things like plague monks, warpfire throwers, and their general. Phoenix flys up and down the line so the fear effect sends the rats running back away so archers can shoot them more.

Then the bats show up and things get dicey for awhile. Couldn't hardly see my lines for all the bats everywhere. Any archer's not distracted by lesser bats focus fire on that awful giant bat while the phoenix and a third dragon melee it. The archers do most of the damge, but the first time I tried I didn't bring a third dragon and the giant bat (terrorgheist?) killed Teclis in about 10 seconds flat.

I have no idea how to do this fight without dragons. You're just so massively outnumbered.

Dragons are great. My favorite screenshot so far: (spoilers for the final battle)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Barent posted:

Yeah, I really hate the decision to let any kind of hostile army spawn out of nowhere so close to your settlements. They should at least start a few turns away

I mean, as far as the ritual response armies, they all spawn in the same place every time IIRC so it's not too hard to have your two stoutest armies in place ready to lightning strike through the mess.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

boho posted:

Intervention armies could use a polish pass. Having a Skaven stack with no less than 4 Hellpit Abominations, (not counting the warp cannons, death globadiers, stormvermin, and death runners) is maybe just a wee bit too much for turn 25. My level 3 capital garrison put up an excellent fight which bloodied the stack enough to let my main stack finish it off, but it still got razed in the process, putting me out ~40k gold in lost buildings + rebuild costs. I'm just not sure how to respond to a tier 3 intervention so early in the game outside of camping your main army in the capitol for 10 turns, which is almost as devastating in opportunity cost.

It wouldn't be 10 turns, the AI always uses the intervention army on the first turn in my experience and assaults after 2-3 turns.

The intervention armies are a bit of a non-issue in my experience since they are so predictable and only ever assault one stack at a time. Just make sure to have half stack or so garrisoned in your capital before starting the ritual and if you can't justify that right then so can you just delay the ritual until later.

(it is a bit of a dick move to new players though since I don't think the game tells you about intervention armies until they actually spawn on you)

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Kainser posted:

Maybe spend your gold on something else than 8 shades, you can't really justify getting so many of them so early on Very Hard. Particularly since you are playing as Malekith who gets 50% less upkeep on the Darkshards.

Shades do become ridiculous murder machines later with tech and leader skills on but replacing your ranged units entirely with them that early is just not a very good idea.

Yeah it was more an experiment since I never used shades before, I was hoping they'd Sea Guard it up and punch way above their weight. They did, but yeah you definitely need the extra numbers, especially with Malekiths bonus as you mentioned.

That being said, my issue with VHs ramp up is that it's extra enemies + -4 public order + 100% upkeep increase. That's a bit excessive as 2 of those would be good enough, considering you need armies to quell public order early and you can't afford or leave armies behind with all this stacked up against you. The best thing to cut is probably the public order debuff, which is easy to mod out.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 9, 2017

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, as far as the ritual response armies, they all spawn in the same place every time IIRC so it's not too hard to have your two stoutest armies in place ready to lightning strike through the mess.

They definitely do not always spawn in the same place. I was screwing around with it a bit via saving/reloading. Starting the same ritual with the same territory would create chaos stacks in the ocean, on the edges of my provinces, or in several different spots right in the center of my empire depending on where I positioned my own forces. Seemed like it prioritized creating them in areas where you wouldn't be able to reach them in one turn, which is especially garbage if they end up right next to your non-target settlements and immediately raze them.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 9, 2017

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I have no idea what the logic behind the Chaos/Skaven stack spawning is, sometimes they'd spawn in a sensible place 2-3 turns away from any city and sometimes they'd spawn in the middle of my empire. The intervention armies always spawned right next to my capital though and always waited around for their turn to besiege it if another intervention army beat them to it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
The only issue I have with them is when you get attacked by one intervention army, fought it off, then get attacked by a chaos stack immediately afterward and have no time to replenish your forces between attacks.

It's one of the few times I'll choose the Skaven 'eat captives' option over the others, because it's the only way to 'heal' when all this is happening on the same turn.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I apparently can't land on the island that Tower of the Sun is on (in the south east corner of the map) at all? Mousing over any of it shows the red x next to the cursor, and clicking does nothing. Mousing over the settlement itself doesn't show the x, but clicking still does nothing. Is it really impossible to attack the settlement at all? I don't want to leave Teclis with a settlement and a stack in my back while I go west.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

[quote="“Deranged M”" post="“477209587”"]
This has been probably asked before but I can’t seem to find it . I haven’t played the first total war warhammer so if I wanna dive into the franchise , can I just start with 2 or is there a reason to play 1st one too ?
[/quote]

I would honestly play the first one, the core gameplay is the same and it has all the benefits of a full year of updates + workshop support. Right now TW:W2 is an expansion pack with the real meat of the game (the combined campaign) to be added in a month or so

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Staltran posted:

I apparently can't land on the island that Tower of the Sun is on (in the south east corner of the map) at all? Mousing over any of it shows the red x next to the cursor, and clicking does nothing. Mousing over the settlement itself doesn't show the x, but clicking still does nothing. Is it really impossible to attack the settlement at all? I don't want to leave Teclis with a settlement and a stack in my back while I go west.

For some reason pathfinding freaks out about trying to send someone across water- you have to have the army embark first before it realizes what's happening

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Ammanas posted:

:thunk:

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Kainser posted:

It wouldn't be 10 turns, the AI always uses the intervention army on the first turn in my experience and assaults after 2-3 turns.

I assumed that to be true as well, but I think I discovered a caveat: the AI won't, or is at least extremely hesitant to, break peace/non-aggression treaties during the 10-turn "betrayal" period that would cause a hit to your global trustworthiness. Thus I wound up with Queek dropping an intervention stack on me on like turn 4 of the ritual, which I was not at all expecting.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
But Queek is ever so trustworthy why would he, a monstrous cowardly and disgusting literal rat man, betray you?!

He signed a contract! :argh:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
really not a fan of the whole vortex campaign in general, and I'm mostly just looking forward to the mega map. I also wish I could spawn more than one intervention army at once. Even if it was capped at one each of low, medium, and high tiers. One stack just seems so worthless. I know it's basically impossible to lose the game but it'd still be nice if I could consistently shut down the other factions when I have lots of cash to play around with.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

really not a fan of the whole vortex campaign in general, and I'm mostly just looking forward to the mega map. I also wish I could spawn more than one intervention army at once. Even if it was capped at one each of low, medium, and high tiers. One stack just seems so worthless. I know it's basically impossible to lose the game but it'd still be nice if I could consistently shut down the other factions when I have lots of cash to play around with.

I'm a few hours in, played everything but Lizardmen to date and I'm kinda meh about the game in it's current state. The cities, provinces, and distances don't seem to be executed as well as the first one. Navigating around the HE ring feels clunky and DE Canada is a slight improvement but not by much. The overall Vortex mechanic/gameplay is ok, and I would agree with the intervention army, I haven't had an effective use of one yet.

At this point I'm holding out for the GC map. I still like the game but not as much as the first.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, it's loving weird but once I figured out how Skaven work (roster, food mechanics, economy), I've basically shut down the lower half of the Southlands and am not expanding anymore just because I want to see the ritual through.

On the other hand, my Lizardmen campaign has stalled once more because I made the mistake of taking the Heart of the Jungle (wood elves were already dead) to establish trade with Karak Zorn instead of just camping the Golden Tower, and finding out that I can't build walls in the province so I have to keep an army there at all times. My greater mistake was letting the so-called "defensive" elves in the south-eastern islands seize momentum and conquer the poo poo out of Skaven coastline, leaving me under-funded and over-extended.

It's a good thing I still have a save before I went for the Heart of the Jungle, but I'm still reliant on trade from the elves to stay in the green. I wish someone could get that "liberate as vassal" mod up and running again at least, so I won't have to commit to the Wood Elf alliance.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Almost everyone here says, eh its ok, waiting for combined map. What does that tell you

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ammanas posted:

Almost everyone here says, eh its ok, waiting for combined map. What does that tell you

I mean if you literally can't read, yeah. That...is certainly a thing you could imagine people saying. Hell, in such a sightless universe you could even choose to imagine most people saying it!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I remember seeing the Skitter leap spell and thinking how clever it was to have the ability to stealth your units. But playing Skaven I've never actually gotten around to using it, even though on paper I love the idea of a Doomwheel suddenly materializing near an enemy formation while tearing at 500 mph.

I have used death frenzy to good effect though. Great on Plague moms, death runners, rat Ogres, Abominations and Doomwheels.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

I mean if you literally can't read, yeah. That...is certainly a thing you could imagine people saying. Hell, in such a sightless universe you could even choose to imagine most people saying it!

There's three posts saying exactly that on this page alone.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

toasterwarrior posted:

My greater mistake was letting the so-called "defensive" elves in the south-eastern islands seize momentum and conquer the poo poo out of Skaven coastline, leaving me under-funded and over-extended.

I hate these guys so much. Tor Elasor, right? They will inevitably declare war on you and it is an enormous pain in the rear end to root them out of their islands. In my last campaign as Last Defenders I spent the majority of turns 20-80 defending the coastline from them and building up enough infrastructure to send a three stack invasion force of their islands (2 stacks or less always lost in naval autoresolve). Taking out their island cities pretty much neutralized the threat (and turned into a nice cash province), but of course they took 1-2 a few settlements on the mainland and Queek decided to be a dick and attacked me while I was doing that, which took me another 10 or so turns to reverse.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I figured I'd get this answered faster here than the other thread, but in Total Warhammer 1 how do you get the free DLC characters? I hit download from the store page, I hit "claim free content" in the game, and I even tried doing it from my web browser. But it's not downloading anything and/or just launches the Total War Launcher.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Gejnor posted:

But Queek is ever so trustworthy why would he, a monstrous cowardly and disgusting literal rat man, betray you?!

He signed a contract! :argh:

Well, he signed one ~6 turns before the ritual started, so even Queek wouldn't break the treaty til he could do it without penalty. Being used to first turn interventions it was still a pleasant surprise to see one on turn 4, even if it was actually a product of the AI being inflexible.

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking

Ammanas posted:

I agree. More varied victory conditions and the Chaos invasion was far more threatening/exciting than anything in the vortex campaign. The best strategy now just seems to be turtling and maintaining good relations with your neighbours (probably the same race and automatically liking you due to ritual mechanics). There is just no tension. :(

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I hate these guys so much. Tor Elasor, right? They will inevitably declare war on you and it is an enormous pain in the rear end to root them out of their islands. In my last campaign as Last Defenders I spent the majority of turns 20-80 defending the coastline from them and building up enough infrastructure to send a three stack invasion force of their islands (2 stacks or less always lost in naval autoresolve). Taking out their island cities pretty much neutralized the threat (and turned into a nice cash province), but of course they took 1-2 a few settlements on the mainland and Queek decided to be a dick and attacked me while I was doing that, which took me another 10 or so turns to reverse.

Yeah it's those assholes. And it's VH, so of course I should be expecting a billion dragons from their complete 3-settlement province.

The amazing thing is that as Queek those assholes have not declared on me at all, likely because they can't actually see my settlements and the armies they can see are all loaded for bear. Now, as Kroq-gar, I'm pretty much going to have an eternal rear end in a top hat neighbor once I push them from the continent due to the treaty-break and hostile action penalties, gently caress.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah it's those assholes. And it's VH, so of course I should be expecting a billion dragons from their complete 3-settlement province.

The amazing thing is that as Queek those assholes have not declared on me at all, likely because they can't actually see my settlements and the armies they can see are all loaded for bear. Now, as Kroq-gar, I'm pretty much going to have an eternal rear end in a top hat neighbor once I push them from the continent due to the treaty-break and hostile action penalties, gently caress.

Raze their islands, problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Those elves are weird, in my Krog'gar game they're at strength level 4 with just their three little islands. They're sort of... hanging around the coast and I'm pretty sure they're going to declare war soon but most of my armies are bogged down in the north, should probably just throw them some money every turn until I've cleaned the desert up.