Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Dating women being the access to collectibles is an... interesting way of doing things.

It's not access, just convenience. Makes it a lot easier to track them all down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

If I remember right you can fail the karaoke minigame in that mission and it gives you a humorous unique mission failed message.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I've seen two different cuts of the final fight scene for "Flashpoint". There is one version where Tony's mother wanders through the fight after both men have fallen from the roof and one version where that doesn't happen. I prefer the cut with the mother because of the heartbreaking moment where Tony's mother asks Ma if he has seen her sons, then turns to Tony and asks him the same question.

Tony is crushed by the knowledge that his mother no longer recognizes him, but also feels he has nothing left to lose. He beckons Ma on, and then the fight continues. It's an amazing dramatic performance smack in the middle of a hellacious brawl.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Wei has a very funny way of reassuring people, what with kicking them right in the face. Must be a Hong Kong thing.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
The unique Game Over for Karaoke Failure in Bam Bam is correct. I always enjoy the karaoke in this game. :)

New cast-

Tiffany - Yunjin Kim

The Popstar evidence gathering (fake drunk Wei) is as fun as ever.

I don't get the Mountain Master outfit either, but hey, whatever gets the Triad exp.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 9, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Quiet Python posted:

I've seen two different cuts of the final fight scene for "Flashpoint". There is one version where Tony's mother wanders through the fight after both men have fallen from the roof and one version where that doesn't happen. I prefer the cut with the mother because of the heartbreaking moment where Tony's mother asks Ma if he has seen her sons, then turns to Tony and asks him the same question.

Tony is crushed by the knowledge that his mother no longer recognizes him, but also feels he has nothing left to lose. He beckons Ma on, and then the fight continues. It's an amazing dramatic performance smack in the middle of a hellacious brawl.

Wasn't in the cut I watched, but apparently they left in a couple pieces. After the fight ends and Ma ties Tony up, he looks at the red envelope he got from the mother and there's a short clip of her wandering around out in the reeds.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
So, for the purposes of the running count, and in keeping with my stated policy of being as conservative as possible in estimating these things, I was prepared to give Wei Shen a pass in terms of the number of people he was crippling, assuming that he was going easy on them or some such, but there's just no way to sugarcoat it. I can conceive of no means by which one can snap kick a man in the face hard enough to throw him off his feet that isn't going to cause some major damage.

I've been noticing a theme with these videos, mostly due to the order in which Bobbin has been tackling side missions and main ones, in that Wei tends to start the mission off with a minimum of criminality, before suddenly, and violently escalating things. As such, he was practically a choir boy up until he broke into a nightclub and began beating the crap out of everything in sight.

Thus, for the session, we have:

People almost certainly permanently crippled/maimed by Wei Shen: 45 (total: 146)
People definitively killed by Wei Shen: 4 (total: 32)

Crimes:

2 Counts Misdemeanor Hit-and-Run
3 Counts Felony Hit-and-Run
2 Counts Felony Resisting Arrest
2 Counts Murder in the 2nd Degree
2 Counts Manslaughter in the 1st Degree
2 Counts Vehicular Assault on a Police Officer
1 Count Accoustic Assault on a Classic Song
19 Counts Assault & Battery
6 Counts Vandalism
1 Count Extortion

For a total sentence from this session of 166 Years, 6 Months.

I admit, distinguishing between some of these crimes, particularly the Murder and Manslaughter charges, was very difficult and probably a matter of a judgment call, overall. I counted the murdered pedestrian and the gangster drowned in the toilet as murder charges, while the two guys stabbed eight times each with knives were only manslaughter, as they attacked Wei with the knives in the first place, albeit as Wei was committing a whole series of crimes. If there are legal experts who object to these classifications, I am prepared to revisit them.

For now though, the running total sentence comes to 8 Consecutive Life Sentences, plus 894 Years

Which means, for those interested, that Wei has earned a sentence of roughly the same duration as the existence of St. Bartholomew's Hospital in London, which was founded in 1123.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

This game is neat, and I appreciate the historical context you provide in the film reviews. Out of curiosity, has anyone requested a review of The Raid (no, the other one) yet? There's some interesting digressions to be made there, I think--Indonesia, its film industry, the intersection of Islam and pencak silat, etc. Admittedly, the story portion would be variations on "first this guy runs up and starting fighting him, then he turns around and fights these two other dudes, then a third guy gets stabbed" for about 10 minutes straight.

Great fuckin' movie though.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

GenHavoc posted:

This is going to need at least a couple degrees. It'll come in handy sooner than you think.

Rangpur posted:

This game is neat, and I appreciate the historical context you provide in the film reviews. Out of curiosity, has anyone requested a review of The Raid (no, the other one) yet? There's some interesting digressions to be made there, I think--Indonesia, its film industry, the intersection of Islam and pencak silat, etc. Admittedly, the story portion would be variations on "first this guy runs up and starting fighting him, then he turns around and fights these two other dudes, then a third guy gets stabbed" for about 10 minutes straight.

Great fuckin' movie though.

I gave Chronische a half-mulligan for getting the wrong The Raid, and his wait time just ran out, so...yes.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Is On Buddha's Land scripted to play when you get chased by the cops during the Popstar mission? Cause if so that's amazing since it sounds like the kind of song that would be played for a chase through Hong Kong.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Goddamnit, Bobbin. You're inadvertently making me feel bad I don't keep in touch with my teacher.

So, a lot of the things the Sifu says anything him being perceptive: you don't get to be a good teacher if you aren't picking up on certain things. Other things he says are just him loving with Wei, like the Zen Master thing. If you can't mess with your students, then you aren't going to be able to connect with them, and then you can't teach them the important things.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Chimera-gui posted:

Is On Buddha's Land scripted to play when you get chased by the cops during the Popstar mission? Cause if so that's amazing since it sounds like the kind of song that would be played for a chase through Hong Kong.

Pretty much every track that plays during a mission is scripted. You can change the station if you want, but the music resets if you get out of and then reenter a car. I'll be proving this in episode 9.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
wei shen kicked a man in the face so hard it took out the guy standing next to him. that's pretty loving hardcore.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

This is going to need at least a couple degrees. It'll come in handy sooner than you think.

Oh God yes, you think it's bad now, consider Bobbin sung the song WELL. The game is quite happy to reflect it if you sing badly. For a certain other karaoke mission, I can't remember if it was my personal sadistic choice or what they made you use, but "Take On Me" achieves pure evil when bungled.

As for general crimes, I definitely had far more vehicular offenses than anything else. Granted part of that is because I learned to love dealing with those drat grappler guys in the police camera missions by running them all over with a van at high speed (only beat by dragging a gun into an unarmed group and finishing REAL fast), but even driving around regularly I swear it is physically impossible for me to keep a car intact in this game. Eventually I started running with it and yelling "Punch buggy!" and ramming motorcycles every time I saw them for the entertainment value of the slow motion over the hood thing. The car environmental takedowns when on foot are a tad more disturbing though.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

GenHavoc posted:

This is the biggest crime of all.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Also, Wei's jacket is less Marty McFly, and more George Constanza's goretex jacket.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Wasn't in the cut I watched, but apparently they left in a couple pieces. After the fight ends and Ma ties Tony up, he looks at the red envelope he got from the mother and there's a short clip of her wandering around out in the reeds.

I found the version of the final fight that includes the interlude with the mother. It happens at around the 1:25 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buITXcldEcY

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

The question, then, is where Wei's mangling of the Bobby Fuller Four falls on the scale? If this was Acoustic Assault in the Third Degree or something, then... God help me... what does Aggravated Acoustic Assault sound like?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

20:50 - That cop has quite the spine on him.

Looking forward to your review of The Glass Key. Or maybe a novel review of Red Harvest?

Rangpur posted:

Admittedly, the story portion would be variations on "first this guy runs up and starting fighting him, then he turns around and fights these two other dudes, then a third guy gets stabbed" for about 10 minutes straight.
It can be done

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Looking forward to your review of The Glass Key. Or maybe a novel review of Red Harvest?

From my research, I learned the connection to Red Harvest is most likely coincidental. The director was inspired by the movie version of The Glass Key and there never was a movie version of Red Harvest. And all things considered, he probably didn't read either book.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

GenHavoc posted:

The question, then, is where Wei's mangling of the Bobby Fuller Four falls on the scale? If this was Acoustic Assault in the Third Degree or something, then... God help me... what does Aggravated Acoustic Assault sound like?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jumXsnQR2M

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

GenHavoc posted:

:golfclap:

though now I'm curious whether real prosecutors occasionally slip in these kinds of flavorful/comedic notes when charging someone with a list of felonies.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pretty much every track that plays during a mission is scripted. You can change the station if you want, but the music resets if you get out of and then reenter a car. I'll be proving this in episode 9.

That reminds me, Sleeping Dogs obviously didn't have much left over for licensed music but someone either worked their butt off or was familiar with modern Hong Kong, regional, Chinese, or even just east Asian music in general (I certainly wouldn't know where any of it was actually from) because the game totally bucks the trend of open world games that aren't GTA having god awful radio station music. It was around the time I started getting the collectibles on the map that I realized I hadn't turned the radio off and was really enjoying the music.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I couldn't remember at first, but once you got to the part where the guy was flung up in the air and shot like a clay pigeon, I was sure; I have seen Flash Point before. It must have been a while ago.

Incredibly impressive fight choreography in that movie; especially towards the end.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

That reminds me, Sleeping Dogs obviously didn't have much left over for licensed music but someone either worked their butt off or was familiar with modern Hong Kong, regional, Chinese, or even just east Asian music in general (I certainly wouldn't know where any of it was actually from) because the game totally bucks the trend of open world games that aren't GTA having god awful radio station music. It was around the time I started getting the collectibles on the map that I realized I hadn't turned the radio off and was really enjoying the music.

It's got an excellent soundtrack in general. Not the biggest budget, maybe, but it gets some Queen, Clash for karaoke, and Eminence Front, one of the all time best night cruising songs. It feels like everything on the radio was specifically selected, not just grabbed because they needed more songs.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

double nine posted:

:golfclap:

though now I'm curious whether real prosecutors occasionally slip in these kinds of flavorful/comedic notes when charging someone with a list of felonies.

I wouldn't be surprised. Attorneys and judges get up to some hilarious language in their briefs while keeping it professional, as you can see in this overview of a judge's decision.

Also, I'm loving the LP, especially the movie corners. A lot of fun-looking movies I'd never heard of and I love classic Hong Kong kung fu cinema. More than that I'm really enjoying the 'story behind the story' segments. I didn't know about the original cinematic scene being destroyed by the Japanese occupation, though - that's horrifying that not one of them survived.

I absolutely love this game, and I'm sad it didn't get more attention and it just sorta slipped under the radar for most people after the name change and subsequent release, following a lot of hype and advertising under its original name. I'll wait for the LP to get there, but I have words about the last third of this thing.

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 13, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

you had to do that one cutscene in a cop outfit, didn't you?

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

There's no way to avoid it! You get a permanent debuff to your morale if you don't do it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Pretty much. The only question was which one, but I think I made the right choice.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I liked this episode. I like Not Ping. I kinda like NfS: Underground.

Good episode all around, Bobbin.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

OK; this may be an odd question about general... Asian culture, I guess, but... why is karaoke so popular? I'm guessing by the name it's Japanese in origin - but why does it seem so favoured in many non-Japanese countries to boot? Or am I just selectively noticing it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

bman in 2288 posted:

I liked this episode. I like Not Ping. I kinda like NfS: Underground.

Good episode all around, Bobbin.

Not Ping is great, and she shows up again in Nightmare in North Point, the spooky Halloween dlc.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yojimbo is a movie that you should really, really see if you haven't.

Really basically anything by Kurosawa is worth seeing. One of my favorite directors.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Samovar posted:

OK; this may be an odd question about general... Asian culture, I guess, but... why is karaoke so popular? I'm guessing by the name it's Japanese in origin - but why does it seem so favoured in many non-Japanese countries to boot? Or am I just selectively noticing it.

Drunkenly singing at a bar is an international tradition that goes back for centuries. The brilliance of karaoke is that it gives the singers a backing track.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Pretty much. The only question was which one, but I think I made the right choice.
The patrolman outfit from Year of the Snake also works, but sure.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
The 'confront the rat' scene remains my favorite part of this game, something that I will always remember. Bobbin's choice of outfit just makes it more awesome. :D

The races in this game are indeed fun. I prefer the fighting, but enjoyed the racing too.

I look forward to Bobbin's take on the Cheating Confrontation. :lol:

New Cast-

Not-Ping- Celina Jade

Hotshot- Johnson Phan

I could not find Ace's voice listed in the IMDB credits. :(

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Grapplejack posted:

Not Ping is great, and she shows up again in Nightmare in North Point, the spooky Halloween dlc.
It's implied that she and Wei maintain a steady but casual relationship throughout most of the game and beyond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
yeah the bad karaoke is really obviously autotuned. it'd just be so much easier to do than recording a separate "bad" track and attempting to mix the two together seamlessly depending on the player's performance.

• Locked thread