Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

joem83 posted:

Which island? I've been to Kauai maybe 18 times, please say Kauai.

Nah Oahu for work. Also as I won't have a kitchen I won't be eating anything.
I don't think hawaiin groundfish are on some sort of advisory either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Speaking of invasives, I got my first snakehead today!

Went on a little hike/fish outing today and walked by this nice little marsh and made a few casts with a Ned rig. At first I thought I had hooked a pickerel as I could feel it thrashing and spinning underwater, I was shocked as hell when I got him up. Like, sure, the marsh is next to one of the best snakehead rivers in the area, but it wasn't at all on my mind.

This is super dope! I'm glad that they don't appear to be wrecking the local fishery because that sounds like a lot of fun to catch.

joem83 posted:

I was trying to think of something to do on my birthday. I'm kinda weird because unless something is done on my ACTUAL birthday, it has no significance to me as a birthday celebration event. Maybe I'm not that weird, but my wife sure thinks so. Although, this is coming from a family who will celebrate a birthday 2 months after it happens and think nothing of it. Maybe I'm the normal one?

ANYWAY, I decided I wanted to go fishing on my birthday. I was going to go bass fishing or something, but then I realized that bass fishing kinda sucks in the winter (birthday is in December). THEN I realized that the winter is MFin' trout season! I think I'm going to rent a cabin for a night at a nearby but distant mountain type lake all by myself, eat some horrible man type dinner that will consist of nothing but sausage & bread, and then get up at 5 AM to go trout fishing the entire next day. I'm pretty excited. I don't know why I'm giving this very Cool Story Bro here on this forum, but dammit, if someone will appreciate the idea they will probably be a reader of this thread.

Long story short, I'll probably stop drinking now.

Catch trout and drink rye. Enjoy a sunrise joint if your state allows for it.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

bongwizzard posted:

Speaking of invasives, I got my first snakehead today!

Went on a little hike/fish outing today and walked by this nice little marsh and made a few casts with a Ned rig. At first I thought I had hooked a pickerel as I could feel it thrashing and spinning underwater, I was shocked as hell when I got him up. Like, sure, the marsh is next to one of the best snakehead rivers in the area, but it wasn't at all on my mind.

Nice, they put up quite the fight, don't they? It's the only type of freshwater fish I've caught that routinely bends or breaks my hooks.

What region are you in? Down here (S. Fla.), we have the bullseye variety.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Enigma posted:

Nice, they put up quite the fight, don't they? It's the only type of freshwater fish I've caught that routinely bends or breaks my hooks.

What region are you in? Down here (S. Fla.), we have the bullseye variety.

I am in Maryland, so we have northern snakeheads. It was a lot of fight for such a small fish. He hit in open water too, which seemed odd. I was fishing a ml/f spinning rod and keep the drag pretty loose, so I think my hook was safe. I have never really targeted them as I have little patience for topwater and never really take my kayak out to spots where I can target them along weedlines.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
I called up the lake to reserve my cabin this morning and they're all booked up, on a Wednesday in the middle of December. It wasn't meant to be! My birthday is ruuuuuiiiiinnnned! :emo:

I'll probably still stay home from work and spend the day trout fishing and smokin' hooters. I just don't get to have my manly night of solitude in the cabin. On the bright side, at least now I have justification for my new trout setup, "Well, I WAS going to spend that money on a cabin, and since I'm not doing that anymore..."

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Surely there's more than one cabin in your general vicinity

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Yeah I mean, I wasn't trying to imply that there wasn't a single cabin available for me to rent in the San Diego area, but the place I wanted to go to was $125 a night for a lake front cabin with indoor plumbing, a heater, AND it included a motorboat rental. They have little sleeping cabins at this lake too, but no heat/indoor plumbing. No thanks! It gets cold up there in them mountains.

http://www.lakecuyamaca.org/

It's the Angler's Retreat.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

drat, the boat rental really sweetens that deal! Maybe next year? Book now and forget about it, then it will be like a gift to yourself.

Speaking of boats, it sounds like next spring one of my buddies is going to have access to a private boat launch on Hood Canal. I cannot tell you how excited I am about this. I'm also going back to the coast this weekend for razor clams and another attempt at surf perch. LCK, I'm not sure which beach we're going to yet, but I will keep you informed.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Man. I'm still so happy I went out there and nailed a tiny little bass with a beautiful hookset. These guys were ripping at my senkos in some shallow water.

All the big fish seem to have moved to the depths. I haven't seen any even hitting at the surface for a few weeks.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

drat, the boat rental really sweetens that deal! Maybe next year? Book now and forget about it, then it will be like a gift to yourself.

Speaking of boats, it sounds like next spring one of my buddies is going to have access to a private boat launch on Hood Canal. I cannot tell you how excited I am about this. I'm also going back to the coast this weekend for razor clams and another attempt at surf perch. LCK, I'm not sure which beach we're going to yet, but I will keep you informed.

I got the weekend free right now so keep me posted.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Babby's First Surf Perch. Wasn't able to meet up with LCK this time, but hopefully by the time that I do I'll know what the gently caress I'm doing. I felt nibbles but no real set hooks; the only reason why I got this rear end in a top hat is that he swallowed the hook. I'm going to switch to circle hooks and not wade out so deep next time.

Clam tide was well after dark at 8:30, but people were starting to show up at sunset and it was pretty.

Limited on something for once!

Also, :justpost: about fishing!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nice! Yeah with nobody to drive with I couldn't do that clam dig. Too far! May go squidding tonight.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Got one walleye this morning.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Meanwhile, in my neck of the woods, it's been weeks since I've been able to go fishing. The lake by my house is going bonkers, too. Oh cruel adult life!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the inevitable work time has come. I lost my mind the other week and bought a fancy pants casting combo. I got a reasonably good deal on a reel and was like man I guess my hand is forced, I gotta buy a rod asap instead of waiting a loving month or two for BF like a sane adult. It was like a robbery gone bad, I freaked out, shot a guard, then just killed everyone. Where in everyone is my bank account. So I felt really bad and took a bunch of work that I hate to try and atone for my idiocy. Combo is sick as gently caress but I have had it out twice and have yet to catch a fish on it because I suck.

Steez SV Limited on a GLoomis GLX MBR783.

It's so lightweight that I thought I was going throw it out of my hands on the first few casts. I got it to be my primary walkin around rod. I never take more than one when fishing the bank or wading so figured I would go nuts. I had been using a SV105 on a IMX CR723, but I wanted a little more length for throwing moving baits and more sensitivity for bottom contacts. The rod has been in production for like 20 years and is commonly considered the benchmark for a great "all around" bass rod. I found a dealer sample so I dodged MSRP but still dumb money. If the weather cooperates this weekend I am going to out both days and fish it until I drop.

The color matching so well is 100% happenstance but it would be a lie to say I was anything less than superbly pleased by it. I think I am going to spring for some fancy cork knobs for the reel and call it done.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 10, 2017

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Yeah, the inevitable work time has come. I lost my mind the other week and bought a fancy pants casting combo. I got a reasonably good deal on a reel and was like man I guess my hand is forced, I gotta buy a rod asap instead of waiting a loving month or two for BF like a sane adult. It was like a robbery gone bad, I freaked out, shot a guard, then just killed everyone. Where in everyone is my bank account. So I felt really bad and took a bunch of work that I hate to try and atone for my idiocy. Combo is sick as gently caress but I have had it out twice and have yet to catch a fish on it because I suck.

Steez SV Limited on a GLoomis GLX MBR783.

It's so lightweight that I thought I was going throw it out of my hands on the first few casts. I got it to be my primary walkin around rod. I never take more than one when fishing the bank or wading so figured I would go nuts. I had been using a SV105 on a IMX CR723, but I wanted a little more length for throwing moving baits and more sensitivity for bottom contacts. The rod has been in production for like 20 years and is commonly considered the benchmark for a great "all around" bass rod. I found a dealer sample so I dodged MSRP but still dumb money. If the weather cooperates this weekend I am going to out both days and fish it until I drop.

The color matching so well is 100% happenstance but it would be a lie to say I was anything less than superbly pleased by it. I think I am going to spring for some fancy cork knobs for the reel and call it done.

You made the right decision. Please share your experiences as you become more comfortable and confident with the casting reel. They intimidate me and I fear change.

Edit: Also, surf perch fillets make the best fried fish sandwiches and fried razor clam strips in cornmeal dredge are the bees' knees.

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 10, 2017

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Low profile baitcasters are really not too hard to learn how to use. I looooove them. Don't be afraid!

Excellent looking setup man, I've heard awesome things about the G. Loomis stuff. My wife preordered a Curado K for me back in July but they still haven't started doing the lefties. As soon as I get it, I know I'm gonna end up buying another rod, lol. My heavy action rod is a little stiff for my liking.

Edit: that reel, omg, your poor poor bank account lol.

joem83 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 10, 2017

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

Low profile baitcasters are really not too hard to learn how to use. I looooove them. Don't be afraid!

Thinking about getting a cheap one for catfish.

So I was having trouble setting hooks when I was on the coast this weekend. I'm switching to offset circle hooks, but I may cut my bait a bit smaller, too. Has anybody else had similar issues?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

Edit: that reel, omg, your poor poor bank account lol.

I got it used for $320, shipped, so I didn't do too badly. It has a small flaw in the finish, but I don't care as I am gonna gently caress it up more. It's crazy smooth and casts supper well. I prefer smaller sized reels like the Daiwa Alphas series, but I can deal with larger ones to a point.

Low pro casting reels have come a long way in the last 5-8 years. The Dawia SV spool technology makes reels incredibly forgiving and cuts the learning curve in half. They just released the Tatrula SV at like $200 msrp, but they are all over ebay for like $150 shipped. I am a total Dawia fanboy but it took me maybe a month to get comfortable with casting reels once I got an SV model where I hand spent maybe 4-5 months loving around with the Lew's reels I had before.

I can now go back and make a non SV spooled reel work, but the SV was amazing for getting me casting well.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Also, Loomis just redid the IMX line so the old ones are getting pretty cheap. American Legacy still has some but the more common models are getting hard to find. No idea about the new IMX Pro line, but for the price I would rather spend an other $100 and get a GLX. That line just got a refresh and it seems to be universally liked compared to the older ones.

Loomis rods are nice, but you are absolutely paying for the warranty. I don't have enough time on my GLX to know if it is worth it, but I couldn't find another rod with the same specs that wasn't some OOP Megabass rod at the same price point or higher.

I am discovering that a rods "stats" are a super poor way to express how it casts and fishes, if you are going to drop money on a rod it really behooves you to do a ton of research online about how a given rod fishes.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

My first baitcasting reel was one of these, it's really easy to use. It rarely every backlashes on me, usually only when I'm being a complete tard.

http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/pflueger-reels-baitcast-reels-low-profile/pflueger-president-xt-low-profile-reel/1405303.html

I put that reel on a heavy power rod and use it for frogs and stuff. My second setup is a Lews Mach 2 combo. That thing backlashes all the freaking time.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

You want to be careful buying reels second hand, there's no way of knowing if it has had a dip in the water some something. Probably not such an issue with a freshwater reel like that but I've heard one or two horror stories about Stellas and Saltists that looked really nice on the outside but were all corroded and hosed up internally.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gay picnic defence posted:

You want to be careful buying reels second hand, there's no way of knowing if it has had a dip in the water some something. Probably not such an issue with a freshwater reel like that but I've heard one or two horror stories about Stellas and Saltists that looked really nice on the outside but were all corroded and hosed up internally.

I've been meaning to inspect my 25 year old abu Garcia ambassador I've used almost entirely for salt water and never had serviced.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

My first baitcasting reel was one of these, it's really easy to use. It rarely every backlashes on me, usually only when I'm being a complete tard.

http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/pflueger-reels-baitcast-reels-low-profile/pflueger-president-xt-low-profile-reel/1405303.html

I put that reel on a heavy power rod and use it for frogs and stuff. My second setup is a Lews Mach 2 combo. That thing backlashes all the freaking time.

I only have experience with Daiwa reels, but with their mag brake system each reel+spool combo will have a different braking profile. So like Spool A in Reel 1 will brake differently then Spool B in Reel 1. The reel sideplate holds the magnets that act on the inductor on the side of the spool. This lets you, once you fully evolve into a geardork, swap spools to tune your breaking however you like by using a "fast" or "slow" spool. The SV spools are (generally) tuned to be super controllable at the cost of some distance.

Yea, for that reason I always buy via paypal, their arbitration system is very weighted to the buyer.

I am a bad boy and use my Freshwater reels in brackish water all the time and so far no issues. I am pretty good about rinsing them off after but I absolutely have forgotten for a day or two.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 10, 2017

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I had a reel seize up on me recently, but fortunately it only set me back $30 on AliExpress. It was entirely my fault, too, so I'm chalking it up as a learning experience. Use sand spikes on the beach when possible, my dudes.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

So I was having trouble setting hooks when I was on the coast this weekend. I'm switching to offset circle hooks, but I may cut my bait a bit smaller, too. Has anybody else had similar issues?

What kind of hooks were you using that you had trouble setting?

Also, doesn't being offset defeat the whole purpose of being a circle hook (i.e. not gut-hooking fish)? I only ever use inline circles.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Enigma posted:

What kind of hooks were you using that you had trouble setting?

Also, doesn't being offset defeat the whole purpose of being a circle hook (i.e. not gut-hooking fish)? I only ever use inline circles.

I was using baitholder J-hooks. I think that circle hooks are supposed to be harder to swallow since they're wider than J-hooks. I don't think that the hook being offset would change that, but I'm not 100% on that. I catch surf perch to eat, also, so while I prefer that the fish not be gut-hooked to minimize suffering, it is almost certainly not long for this world regardless. Getting the hook set and the fish landed is my main concern.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I was using baitholder J-hooks. I think that circle hooks are supposed to be harder to swallow since they're wider than J-hooks. I don't think that the hook being offset would change that, but I'm not 100% on that. I catch surf perch to eat, also, so while I prefer that the fish not be gut-hooked to minimize suffering, it is almost certainly not long for this world regardless. Getting the hook set and the fish landed is my main concern.

It isn't so much the size of the hook that matters, its the shape that causes the hook to turn in the fish's mouth and catch it in the corner of the jaw as it swims off. I think the issue with offset circles is that the point can catch on other parts of the mouth as the hook turns so you don't necessarily avoid gut or gill hooking the fish.

With circles you need to be very careful to avoid clogging the gape of the hook with bait, and they seem to be more effective if you use baits that can be swallowed whole because if the fish has to sit there breaking the bait into bite size pieces you are less likely to hook it up as it swims off.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Yeah, the benefit of circles is the point is directed at the shank. If the hook is swallowed, it should come back out without snagging anything (most of the time). The shape also causes it to locate and pierce the corner of the fish's mouth. An offset circle will likely mean more hookups since the hook is more likely to catch *something* - but the *something* might be the fish's gut.

You don't set circles so much as take in the slack and allow the fish to hook itself. If you try to set it like a J-hook, you will pull the hook out of the fish's mouth nine times out of ten.

When baiting a circle hook, you may need to step up in hook size. You want to make sure the point is unobstructed.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

It isn't so much the size of the hook that matters, its the shape that causes the hook to turn in the fish's mouth and catch it in the corner of the jaw as it swims off. I think the issue with offset circles is that the point can catch on other parts of the mouth as the hook turns so you don't necessarily avoid gut or gill hooking the fish.

With circles you need to be very careful to avoid clogging the gape of the hook with bait, and they seem to be more effective if you use baits that can be swallowed whole because if the fish has to sit there breaking the bait into bite size pieces you are less likely to hook it up as it swims off.

Enigma posted:

Yeah, the benefit of circles is the point is directed at the shank. If the hook is swallowed, it should come back out without snagging anything (most of the time). The shape also causes it to locate and pierce the corner of the fish's mouth. An offset circle will likely mean more hookups since the hook is more likely to catch *something* - but the *something* might be the fish's gut.

You don't set circles so much as take in the slack and allow the fish to hook itself. If you try to set it like a J-hook, you will pull the hook out of the fish's mouth nine times out of ten.

When baiting a circle hook, you may need to step up in hook size. You want to make sure the point is unobstructed.

This is exactly what I was hoping to learn. Thanks! If I start hooking guts with any regularity I will use some pliers to reset the offset. I'm definitely going to start cutting my clam necks into smaller pieces, too. I was going for the tactic of using (probably way too much) bait to obscure the hook, but I think I was giving the fish too much credit and loving myself out of some good bites in the process.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Surf perch have such small mouths though. Not sure how much it will help.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Yup, I'm keeping my hooks small. I was using #4 hooks and not setting them and my buddy was using #2 and caught way nicer fish than mine. I've read guides recommending as small as #6 and #8, but that seems unnecessary since I've seen good perch hit larger ones.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
So I looked up what a surf perch was and then spent an hour on Wikipedia reading about fish. I forgotten that the common names for fish bare little resemblance to their actual biological groupings.

So y'all's perch are actually perch where the perch that I like to fish for actually bass but the bass I like to catch are also actually perch but also just big sunfish.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Caught my personal best walleye this morning (big version of a yellow perch, to continue our perch talk). 22 inches.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I was once stuck in a cab in Minneapolis for like two hours and he cabby and I talked about fishing the entire time. He was a huge walleye guy and the way he pronounced the word was the most absurdly magical thing, I wish I had recorded it so I could play it back and smile whenever I feel down.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sockington posted:

Caught my personal best walleye this morning (big version of a yellow perch, to continue our perch talk). 22 inches.

Tell us about walleye fishing! I have no experience with it, but I associate it with Great Lakes fishing. I've never lived in the upper midwest, but it seems like a whole different beast with a bunch of inland seas all over the place.

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 11, 2017

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
I wish NZ lakes had more than trout, salmon and endangered crayfish

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

I wish NZ lakes had more than trout, salmon and endangered crayfish

Crayfish can become endangered? I figured those were basically water cockroaches.

You saltwater fisherman, question for ya. How sensitive is "freshwater" gear to salt? I ask because I've taken my Lew's baitcaster combo out to fish the bay a couple times. The first time I went, I was high + maybe a little bit drunk, and I lost my footing on the rip rap. I fell, my rear end went into the water, and my entire rod/reel went into the water. I rinsed it thoroughly and oiled all the parts I could without completely disassembling it, but it developed a squeak and now I'm all paranoid to take it back out to the salt.

The San Diego River has become waaaaaaaaaay more shady as of late, so many crazy rear end homeless people everywhere I try to fish, but the bay is only 10 minutes from work. I'm trying to find a more enjoyable lunch time fishing spot.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Lots of motherfuckin' fish. Wanted to get out as much as possible these last 2 weeks since I know the warm weather isn't going to hold up. Wall of pics incoming.

Wall of bass and one bad haircut.

Caught a ton of sea bass and snapper blues in the NJ back bays. Used the blues for cut bait, but caught nothing but sharks and scup on them.

Had to get this lipper out for this monster

Bonus snapping turtle

Took the yacht out for the last trip of the year before dry docking her. Caught nothing, but did get stoned and row around so it was still a win.

Three pickerel, all from today

My "please don't slap my face with your tail" face

joem83 posted:

You saltwater fisherman, question for ya. How sensitive is "freshwater" gear to salt?

I use my freshwater spinning gear to fish the NJ back bays all the time and never had any issue with the saltwater after a good rinse. I've never fully submerged one in saltwater though. Sand is a different story. gently caress sandy reels forever.

SEGA Ass Fisting fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

joem83 posted:

Crayfish can become endangered? I figured those were basically water cockroaches.

You saltwater fisherman, question for ya. How sensitive is "freshwater" gear to salt? I ask because I've taken my Lew's baitcaster combo out to fish the bay a couple times. The first time I went, I was high + maybe a little bit drunk, and I lost my footing on the rip rap. I fell, my rear end went into the water, and my entire rod/reel went into the water. I rinsed it thoroughly and oiled all the parts I could without completely disassembling it, but it developed a squeak and now I'm all paranoid to take it back out to the salt.

The San Diego River has become waaaaaaaaaay more shady as of late, so many crazy rear end homeless people everywhere I try to fish, but the bay is only 10 minutes from work. I'm trying to find a more enjoyable lunch time fishing spot.

Take it apart, give it a good clean and cover everything in reel oil and Inox MX8 or some kind of anti corrosion trailer bearing grease as you put it back together.