Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Zzr posted:

This new newbie avatar is marketing genius since she was little girl from hightaxe, I've never been so close to pull out several unrefundable euros to change it because I feel so dirty.

love trumps hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Risc1911 posted:

Since the whole networking discussion has flared up again with the 3.0 alpha i compiled a little effort Post for those of you that want to have some arguments and knowledge about networking and it's limitations from someone that actually optimized highly sensitive banking software and network critical applications. (these are excerpts of my presentation/pitch for clients, i can't post the full thing since it contains too much sensitive data)

worldwide fiber network infrastructure (2016)

This just scratches the surface of networking on the physical level. You can do a lot on the software side and with your actual infrastructure. This was meant to illustrate how no matter what you do with software, you can;t magically break the physical limits of how our internet is built.

Just shouting "muh server mesh" will not reduce latency or break the speed photons travel through fiber cables.

This is awesome and exactly why CIGs dumb poo poo is infantile lies.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheLastRoboKy posted:

How's the fidelity though?

JUST LOOK AT THE JACKET

AND THE PIRATE HAT!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

quote:

Please enjoy me quoting these blocked clowns.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

McGiggins posted:

Trust funders who waste their money because they have no concept of it's value or the work that would normally go into acquiring it should be summarily executed, in my opinion.

Preferably publicly. Makes a game show out of it. Instead of another worthless derivation of existing TV, put 8 trust fundies in a house and give them house credits they can use to buy things for their stay.

Every second month, the audience votes for one person to be executed based on how much they spent, what they spent out on, and how much of a waste it was, but the actual executions are delayed until the final episode, so a dude or dudette could be dead from the start and not know it. Maybe it could be done with the worst kind of electricity if they didn't spend credits on the best kind of electricity for the house.

I forget what the point of the lesson was to teach these guys again, but I'm excited for Bloodsport crossed with Big Brother. It could save TV Programming.

Little bit harsh, friend. :(

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

jank is my fetish

:jackbud:

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

The Titanic posted:

This is awesome and exactly why CIGs dumb poo poo is infantile lies.

Shitizens are like flat earthers at this point, it's hilarious. And they already have FIVE YEARS of evidence.

Chris Roberts (no background in computer science research, no background in computer networking): "Blah blah mesh servers, 1000 players, high fidelity serialization, we'll do it easy."

Every single person with network engineering background: "What Croberts promised is absolute horseshit."

Shitizens: "I'm no network engineer and don't know much in depth about the topic but I believe Chris Roberts is still right".

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 10, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

More characters on-screen than anything possible in Star Citizen, SuperGame :laffo:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Jobbo_Fett posted:

More characters on-screen than anything possible in Star Citizen, SuperGame :laffo:

What is going on with his sword hand there

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Foo Diddley posted:

What is going on with his sword hand there

ITS CALLED FIDELITY

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also loving lol this skill tree is goddamn huge

gently caress Star Citizen, its got nothing on Shadow of Mordor, much less this game.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Can we put a moratorium on the gun/shooting chat? I lost a family member(extended, not immediate) in the shooting and it really has been bumming me out. We can, of course, have opinions on it, but can we keep it in D&D/Facebook/GBS? I want to read this thread to cheer me up, not hear hot takes on a massacre.

I’m going to avoid it. Virtual manly hug.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
GOD DAMNIT THIS GAME HAS LOOT BOXES

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

GOD DAMNIT THIS GAME HAS LOOT BOXES

Welcome to 2017 video gaming

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Wuxi posted:

Nice Avatar you got there Derek :grin:

Aside from the redtext I rather like it, that stupid dog meme always makes me laugh like crazy.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Can we put a moratorium on the gun/shooting chat? I lost a family member(extended, not immediate) in the shooting and it really has been bumming me out. We can, of course, have opinions on it, but can we keep it in D&D/Facebook/GBS? I want to read this thread to cheer me up, not hear hot takes on a massacre.

I'm sorry about your loss, friend. Also I agree. For the most part everyone was good at taking the hint that this isn't the place for it, but please no more hot takes on this. CSPAM/D&D is that way.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

TheAgent posted:

pretty much the entirely of east orange

I called my doctor but they were no help, all they were saying was like OH MY GOD GET THE gently caress OUT OF HERE! THE CHILDREN, WHERE ARE THE CHILDREN?? n stuff

Stay safe.

We were watching ABC news tonight (my wife thinks David Muir is hot....) and loving Cali is burning again.
Santa Ana winds are pushing fires everywhere.
Parts of Anaheim are on fire.

Keep putting on the cream and make sure you protect the drink.
Oh and put hoses on your roof!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The reddit reactions at that video with the space bike glitching all over the place are quite something. They are incredibly good at seeing the trees instead of the forest fire

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Justin Tyme posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75sFd0jF43k&t=3s

The starmap, it is so nauseating how it overlays your view and has poo poo just going off the edge of your screen. Classic example of "make this work this way because it sounds cool" and not "make this work this way because its ergonomic and functions well".

Thoughts:

It looks like the commander's head is the size of a tennis ball inside this giant fishbowl. I also like that the helmet obscures the HUD.

Love those blinding cockpit lights directly into the eyes!

That quantum travel design doesn't look like it was designed to scale? Like, one planet in the system takes up the entirety of the screen and it seems to rotate with it as the center point. Oh, okay, you can zoom in and out by clicking on individual planets and scrolling. I feel like Elite's map does it a lot better- nobody really needs to see the relations of the bodies in 3D space when they're trying to plot a course. poo poo would get intensely hard to read with as many stations/ships/objects/bodies as they're planning to insert.

So the commander has to use his wrist-comm to navigate his spaceship? The wrist looks enormous in comparison to the commander's head, further enhancing my theory that it is actually a 2 year old baby in a spacesuit.

OUT OF RANGE OUT OF RANGE OUT OF RANGE OUT OF RANGE - (it's really unfortunate the short range of that inertialess space drive!)

At 7:30 in the video he engages the only actual travel in the whole 15 minute thing, and it immediately overshoots his target by 100km. Whee!

Looks really smooth and stable as long as you don't go anywhere, do anything, shoot any of your guns, or interact with the world in any way other than turning your spaceship!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Rad Russian posted:

Welcome to 2017 video gaming

gently caress gaming in the new generation

But also it doesnt seem like SoW restricts gear to lootboxes, so at least there's that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

toiletbrush posted:

I'm the numerous glaringly bright white cabin lights shining directly into the pilot's eyes

Maybe he hit the dome light switch to look for his cigarrettes.

Or maybe the people making this game are goddamn retards.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Jobbo_Fett posted:

gently caress gaming in the new generation

But also it doesnt seem like SoW restricts gear to lootboxes, so at least there's that.

I can't wait for the meltdown post when you realize the last portion of the game needs to be completed by grinding for countless hours or buying a bunch of loot boxes to unlock the legendary orcs

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Is 3.0 the release that turns SC into a game that you could start to really make your main thing?

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7590kh/is_30_the_release_that_turns_sc_into_a_game_that/

And so on and on. Seems like they are getting ready for 3.0!

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

Grover's algorithm: Near, far, goto 10

:five:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

trucutru posted:

Is 3.0 the release that turns SC into a game that you could start to really make your main thing?

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7590kh/is_30_the_release_that_turns_sc_into_a_game_that/

And so on and on. Seems like they are getting ready for 3.0!

15 min video is all it took to offset all hopes and dreams to 4.0? LOL

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Inkel posted:

I can't wait for the meltdown post when you realize the last portion of the game needs to be completed by grinding for countless hours or buying a bunch of loot boxes to unlock the legendary orcs

Jokes on you I already found a legendary and I plan to name him Geoffrey the Mighty :smuggo:

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdCpZjrwuk4

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Nice job buying a trash game where the characters are half-transparent, idiot.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Nice job buying a trash game where the characters are half-transparent, idiot.

They said they would add the other layers in a future patch, and I believe them :smuggo:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

thatguy posted:

New leak from the guy who leaked the other stuff. Looks like he's successfully removed the watermark with a neato filter as well as blurred the names. This leads me to believe we should expect more/longer leaks in the future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-wMcs-2lbQ

I watched it. The texture work looks good.

The art looks perfectly fine.

The programming though is really broken. :(

Over 5 years in, and this is your Matrix guys. Congrats I guess.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
[quote="“TheAgent”" post="“477211805”"]
I mean this is like core poo poo

this should not be happening this far into development

it means they need a serious rewrite of their physics, collisions and god knows what else

fuckin lol
[/quote]

It does look like they have very low level core problems.

I think it's easily solved though. Have you seen what motion capture can do these days???

I think they better get their top artists on this issue, pronto.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

the starmap has its own stars that translate around when you move the menu that are against a backdrop of stars outside your cockpit ugh

it's actually good this isn't VR compatible else I fear you'd ruin your desk with puke

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Sorry to hear that. Sucks. :sympathy:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Justin Tyme posted:

The starmap, it is so nauseating how it overlays your view and has poo poo just going off the edge of your screen. Classic example of "make this work this way because it sounds cool" and not "make this work this way because its ergonomic and functions well".

Looks ok for space flight I guess. I didn't watch all 15 minutes because it was boring, but the shots with the holo map weren't horrible.

Though the hud confused me. The dots were going to the edge of the screen, but part of it seemed stuck to the ship. Is it some pseudo mix of helmet and ship hud-hud?

Also the two big lights on top of the screen were super annoying. I also didn't like whatever was around the screen; which I'm assuming is the inside of the helmet? That wasn't too cool and I don't think added anything to the experience of being boring.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Chris Roberts in 2012 posted:

As someone that was taking Physics at Manchester University before I dropped out to make games full time I can assure everyone that the physics model is COMPLETELY accurate and it’s a full rigid body simulation. I know because I wrote the code.

Maybe I should have done a better job in the demo, but if you are flying at speed and you set your desired velocity to zero you WILL see the top front thrusters articulating and firing to slow your velocity. If you watch my demo you will notice there is some momentum with the Hornet when I slow down close to the bridge. It may not have been apparent on the screen, but I can assure the Hornet does not stop on a dime. if you load it up with more mass (like extra weapons) you feel the effect of this.

There is no drag modeled – everything is done as it would be in space.

Additionally there is actually counter thrust being applied inside the physics and if you had your hands on the controller you would feel it. If you look closely you will see the inertia of this – the ship doesn’t stop rolling or pitching on a dime. There is however a very good reason why you don’t actually see the thrusters fire entirely accurately.

The problem with visually depicting the proper thrust is that it would actually look pretty horrible (trust me this is how I first did it, and is still pretty easy to switch back to as I’m actually doing some extra work to make the visuals looks nicer).

The reason is because there is no drag in space, so even a micro amount of thrust starts the Hornet (or any spaceship) rotating until you apply counter thrust. So what is really happening is that the flight control system is always applying micro thrust and counter thrust to achieve the pilot’s inputs. This results in the thrusters flickering off and on in micro amounts and you actually not getting a good feel of the general application of thrust. I think you know I like things to look cool (come on, we all know you probably wouldn’t be engaging in space dogfights at WW2 speeds, but it’s so much more fun than what the reality would probably be), so what happens is that the system is still modeled accurately, but I use the angular /linear velocity delta to drive the visual representation of thrust. Here’s my code comment

//Note the thrustGoal is actually the linear velocity delta (desired vel – current vel of
//the vehicle & rotational vel rather than the actual linear & angular acceleration / thrust. //This is because, while inaccurate its cooler to see more constant thrust that gives
//you a visual clue as to what correctional movement / velocity vectors the vehicle is using.
//If we just used the acceleration as opposed to the desired velocity correction, the thruster flames
//would flicker on and off – especially in the Wing Commander use case of Space, where
//there is no atmosphere to provide drag.
//
//Of course if you pass the actual accelerations to SetThrustGoal, then you’ll get an accurate //visual representation of what a thruster would really do

I hope that clears up any confusion!

I will admit that the ship doesn’t need to have wings or fans on the front, but the idea behind that is for possible atmospheric flight (this is not a promise of planetary action for the early build but allows for expansions in this direction), and as a RAM scoop. Plus it just looks / feels cool!

Chris Roberts

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
[quote="“TheAgent”" post="“477219838”"]
its kinda only gotten worse and now there’s ash raining everywhere

poor people can’t get home to their doggos/pets and I hope they are okay
[/quote]

Creepy and scary. Be safe, friend!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
[quote="“Thoatse”" post="“477224881”"]
Two of my really good friends just lost their home in Sonoma, they got out w/their kiddo but lost everything this is so hosed up
[/quote]

That's horrible. :(

I'm sorry for their loss. I hope they had insurance that will help them recover.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.
[quote="“TheAgent”" post="“477219804”"]
here’s what it looks like outside
https://twitter.com/AJR1976/status/917456289495576576
[/quote]

Good god drat! That's why you don't buy property inside a hellmouth, or Sheol, or whatever nightmare realm you inhabit.

P.S. Stay safe. You're a funny person that detests Star Citizen. i.e., good people

P.P.S. Keep your god drat ash the hell out of the Pacific Northwest.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Justin Tyme posted:

You have your loving helmet in view. This in particular stinks of Chris Roberts. Anyone who has played games in the past decade knows how stupid that idea is. His whole design team must have told him how stupid it is. Yet, here we are.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Dogeh posted:

quote:

As someone that was taking Physics at Manchester University before I dropped out to make games full time I can assure everyone that the physics model is COMPLETELY accurate and it’s a full rigid body simulation. I know because I wrote the code.

linear velocity delta (desired vel – current vel) (current vel - desired vel) of the vehicle & rotational angular vel rather than the actual linear & angular acceleration torque and thrust. This is because, while inaccurate its cooler to see more constant thrust that gives you a visual clue as to what correctional movement velocity vectors (???) the vehicle is using. If we just used the acceleration as opposed to the desired velocity correction, the thruster flames would flicker on and off – especially in the Wing Commander use case of Space (these words make no sense), where there is no atmosphere to provide drag.

Chris Roberts

F-

Please see me after class. You have not been reading your textbook and your homework is two weeks late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Oh, I know this game.