Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

This feels like a silly question but I ended up with a bunch of chicken juices(?) from cooking cut up chicken thighs in a pot for a curry - I drained and put it aside since I figured it would make the curry too watery / greasy. Anything easy I can put this towards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Can anyone recommend a recipe book for cocktails / drinks that you set on fire?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Squashy Nipples posted:

Interesting that it's a blanched egg. When I've had it in fancy restaurants where they make it at the table, I always thought that the eggs were raw. And gently caress authenticity, I love me some muddled stinky fish.

Hey, SubG, is there an interesting reason why the Brits call arugula "rocket"? The only context I have for that word is "tube of fuel with a nozzle at one end".

Hahaha yeah same I was about to say I guess I was wrong cuz looking it up on wikipedia it does say anchovies were a later alteration

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cougar cub posted:

Well then you wouldn't have a recipe book

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

punched my v-card at camp posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a try-hard roast turkey recipe? I've been conscripted into thanksgiving duty and I want to make something nice.

I use the Serious Eats spatchock turkey recipe every year. Because the turkey is split open, it won't have the visual appeal of a whole roast turkey. But it comes out delicious. The recipe's instructions for prepping the bird are also really great.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I came across a You Tube video for Pasta with Olive Oil and Garlic. It looks incredibly (deceptively) simple. With only four ingredients, it seems to rely on really good technique and would be a good way for me to practice. It also looks like a template for a zillion different pasta sauces:

Cook spaghetti. Don't throw out the water.
Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add thinly sliced garlic.
Just as the garlic starts to brown, turn off the heat and add some pepper flakes.
Add pasta and a little bit of pasta water to thicken it.
Add parsley and lemon juice.

It seems like it would be really to burn the garlic. Any tips for avoiding that?
What other ingredients could I mix and match with the garlic? Sun-dried tomatoes? Spinach? Other veggies? Maybe herbs like sage or oregano?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
What are some decent brands of craft chocolate (in the US)? I've really never had anything better than Godiva. I'm curious to try the expensive craft chocolate I read about, but I don't have many gourmet stores near me. Is there a place online where I can order it? And some brands that make really tasty chocolate and not just overpriced Hersheys?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Bagheera posted:

It seems like it would be really to burn the garlic. Any tips for avoiding that?
Don't put the heat too high and don't cook it too long.

Bagheera posted:

What other ingredients could I mix and match with the garlic? Sun-dried tomatoes? Spinach? Other veggies? Maybe herbs like sage or oregano?
Do whatever you want. Capers, kalamata olives, pine nuts, etc.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Bagheera posted:

What are some decent brands of craft chocolate (in the US)? I've really never had anything better than Godiva. I'm curious to try the expensive craft chocolate I read about, but I don't have many gourmet stores near me. Is there a place online where I can order it? And some brands that make really tasty chocolate and not just overpriced Hersheys?

Dandelion chocolates. They sell directly online and have pretty decent availability at bougie shops/cafes. I'm sure there's a lot more options, but they're the first I was exposed to that offered transparent sourcing, bars made with 2 ingredients only (cocoa beans and sugar) and were available near me.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

This feels like a silly question but I ended up with a bunch of chicken juices(?) from cooking cut up chicken thighs in a pot for a curry - I drained and put it aside since I figured it would make the curry too watery / greasy. Anything easy I can put this towards?

You can add it to a sauce to add some chicken flavor, boiling it down to make it less watery.

Also, if you don't figure out a use for it, and you have cats or dogs, they'll go nuts for it.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

cougar cub posted:

I mean, just make a normal cocktail, float some overproof liquor on top and ignite. Every recipe in this theoretical book would follow that formula.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Bagheera posted:

I came across a You Tube video for Pasta with Olive Oil and Garlic. It looks incredibly (deceptively) simple. With only four ingredients, it seems to rely on really good technique and would be a good way for me to practice. It also looks like a template for a zillion different pasta sauces:

Just as the garlic starts to brown, turn off the heat and add some pepper flakes.

Just last night I cooked garlic in oil and as it was turning light golden, I added thyme, red pepper flakes, and anchovy. Served that on some store bought ravioli. It was delicious. Just wing it.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Bagheera posted:

My favorite is red pepper flakes and oregano. But I also like Ranch-inspired (mustard powder, onion powder, dill, parsley, black pepper) and a classic Italian blend (basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, marjoram if you keep it around). I also serve simple olive oil pasta like this with chicken a lot - chicken piccata, chicken marinated with yogurt+lemon+garlic, etc. I also like it with spinach and artichoke hearts, either with chicken or without.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
The best part about these oil sauces is how good your house smells afterwards. It lasts hours.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Bagheera posted:

It seems like it would be really to burn the garlic.

Just use lower heat - if your oil is hot enough that it ends up burning the garlic even after turning off the heat, then it's too hot. You want a slow brown, which brings out the nicer flavour profile rather than acrid notes.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

Bagheera posted:

I like to start the garlic and oil in a cold (preferably nonstick) pan over med-low/low-ish heat, and go nice and slow. You aren't really looking for a traditional saute or sizzle here, you just want the garlic to slowly turn golden. Stir it every so often to distribute the heat, but you don't have to watch it like a hawk.

I've never used sliced garlic, but minced or pressed garlic will foam quite a bit and get "sticky" as it cooks.

It shouldn't take extravagantly long; my range is anemic and it only takes 5-10 minutes or so.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

EVG posted:

I've been very happy with the Aroma, it's inexpensive and makes good rice.

The one minor issue I have with it is that the steam basket is very shallow- I can steam up dumplings just fine, but bao are almost too tall and end up sticking a bit to the lid. I don't steam that often though so it's not a big deal.

I've used the $400 zojirushi with the induction. Rice took for loving ever. With my aroma, it's damned quick. It's about $30. It cooks both white and brown. Basmati comes out great. Ponni comes out great. Sushi rice comes out lovely. Just get the aroma. It's worth every penny.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Bagheera posted:

If you want to drop some coin on it The Slow Melt podcast has been doing a makers seriesy talking to 9 different craft chocolate makers. This place is selling a collection of the bars they taste during the series.
https://www.chocolopolis.com/product/2662/

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What are some good meatball sauces that aren't pasta sauce? I make meatballs fairly often cause they're easy to make and do and I've gotten used to them, but I get sick of pasta sauce pretty quickly. What can I serve them with to make them non-Italian?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Swedish meatball sauce. It's basically a brown gravy with cream.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Cook meatballs in water, reserve water.
Make a curry sauce.
1 chopped onion
Garlic
1 tbsp curry.
Flour
Butter

Sweat onions, garlic.
Add curry.
Add butter, flour to make a roux.
Add water you crooked meatballs in, whisk, dump in meatballs.
Serve w rice

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

There's the white-trashy grape jelly/chili sauce meatballs.
http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/grape-jelly-meatballs-72826
A staple of potlucks everywhere.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Thumposaurus posted:

There's the white-trashy grape jelly/chili sauce meatballs.
http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/grape-jelly-meatballs-72826
A staple of potlucks everywhere.

White trashy they may be, but they are delicious.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Would it make sense to put bell peppers in Chinese fried rice? I'm not sure the flavors would work together and I don't want to take chances since I'm cooking for other people.

Edit: Also celery, but I was considering sauteeing it separately to get it a little milder

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 8, 2017

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

White trashy they may be, but they are delicious.

Oh they most definitely are. Best served in a giant crock pot with a container of toothpicks to fish them out with.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Would it make sense to put bell peppers in Chinese fried rice? I'm not sure the flavors would work together and I don't want to take chances since I'm cooking for other people.

Edit: Also celery, but I was considering sauteeing it separately to get it a little milder

Peppers in fried rice is a pretty standard addition, I wouldn't put celery in though.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Fried rice is good with leftover rice, so I'd say throw in whatever you like! Especially if you need to use it up.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I think celery would work fine in fried rice. As a kid, I convinced my Mom to make "Charlie Brown's Fried Rice" from the Peanuts Cookbook. I remember there being celery in that recipe, and I remember it being delicious.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Thanks. What about putting in bok choy?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Thanks. What about putting in bok choy?

yes

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Food and US/Canada international border question. I'm going to Halifax, and will have a 4 hour layover in Montreal on the way back. I'd like to go to Schwartz' and get some smoked meat to bring back into the US.
Looking at https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3619/~/travelers-bringing-food-into-the-u.s.-for-personal-use it looks like cooked Canadian meat products are OK to bring in as long as they're packaged appropriately and you can show you got them in Canada (label/receipt).
I'm wondering if they're going to balk at probably paper wrapped meat from Schwartz's. Does anyone have any first hand experience? Is it all going to depend on the CBP person's mood?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

I like turtles posted:

Looking at https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3619/~/travelers-bringing-food-into-the-u.s.-for-personal-use it looks like cooked Canadian meat products are OK to bring in as long as they're packaged appropriately and you can show you got them in Canada (label/receipt).
I'm wondering if they're going to balk at probably paper wrapped meat from Schwartz's. Does anyone have any first hand experience? Is it all going to depend on the CBP person's mood?

That's something that I would absolutely contact the border police about directly, print the e-mail, and have it on hand at inspection. Loss of delicious smoked meats is no small matter.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Bring extra meat for bribes

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

punched my v-card at camp posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a try-hard roast turkey recipe? I've been conscripted into thanksgiving duty and I want to make something nice.

Just spatchcock the fucker and remember to foil the breast before it overcooks?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Can legumes other than common/runner/yardlong bean be cooked like green beans? Like what about green lentils or green chickpeas?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Chickpeas, much like edamame or favas, have an inedible husk.

You've got peas to work with tho

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Anyone got a great chicken liver pate recipe they want to share? Mine is a bit flat.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Following up on my initial inquiry on grills. I decided on the Weber Genesis II LX E-340 natural gas grill. It was between that and the four burner E-410. The E-340 won out because it has stainless steel grates rather than coated cast grates. It does have a side burner which I don't anticipate using but maybe I will surprise myself. Looks like it sells for about $1300 for the stainless hood model. I will probably pick it up later this week.

Regarding the other comments about sanitizing my existing grill from gluten; there are different levels of sensitivity for Celiac's. Some are not as sensitive to things like cross contamination and only need to avoid direct ingestion. Others need to go full nuclear on every single kitchen item. We have had to rid ourselves from things like cutting boards, colander strainers, plastic tupperware and even a non-stick pan. The hope is that my wife will be able to heal enough to reduce inflammation in her gut enough so that she isn't as hyper sensitive to gluten. Celiac is a bastard of a disease and I don't wish it on anyone.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
can anyone recommend a vegetarian food blog that is still updated that isn't 'healthy'. I don't eat meat, but I also don't eat healthy and a lot of vegetarian blogs are like, 'and put a squash in it' and I'd rather just eat creamy decadent noodles and soups and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Somewhat Heroic posted:

We have had to rid ourselves from things like cutting boards, colander strainers, plastic tupperware and even a non-stick pan. The hope is that my wife will be able to heal enough to reduce inflammation in her gut enough so that she isn't as hyper sensitive to gluten. Celiac is a bastard of a disease and I don't wish it on anyone.

My wife is celiac as well and we basically have two sets of anything that touches gluten. Just like I use a cutting board specifically for raw meat I have a colander and pasta pot just for gluten pasta and a set for non-gluten.

The easiest thing for you to do is to accept that you're pretty much celiac now too. I always paraphrase that scene in Pulp Fiction.

quote:

Jules: Well, if you like burgers, give them a try sometime. Me, I can't usually get them 'cause my girlfriend's a vegetarian, which pretty much makes me a vegetarian. I do love the taste of a good burger. Mmm.

edit: that said my wife has been gluten free for over a decade now and she's definitely gotten less sensitive to things like "a utensil I used touched a countertop that had beer spilled on it three weeks ago and was only cleaned 30 times in the interim".