Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Journey to Jaburo is the clumsiest controls I've ever used in a mech game. It makes R.A.D. almost turbo mode in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I have very fond memories of Zeonic Front and what it was trying to accomplish, but honestly I'm kinda glad I traded my copy to a collector a few years back because there's no way in hell the experience of actually playing it holds up.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Honestly, as far as mech game controls go, I still haven't found anything quite as satisfying as the Armored Core series between 2 and Last Raven.

It sits right there in the intersection between really deep and rather basic that past a certain point, it becomes almost unrecognizable with how the pace and flow of the game changes as you get more familiar with it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Tae posted:

Journey to Jaburo is the clumsiest controls I've ever used in a mech game. It makes R.A.D. almost turbo mode in comparison.

This is true. But 12 year old me and my friend mastered that drat game. For but a fleeting moment in my childhood, I was a newtype.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I really liked Gundam Battle Operation for PS3 for a while but then somehow my save got hosed up and I lost most of my progress and haven't played it since. Oh well, that's what I get for playing a Japanese online game on an American account

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Honestly, as far as mech game controls go, I still haven't found anything quite as satisfying as the Armored Core series between 2 and Last Raven.

Contention: AC4/AC4A when you put boost on left stick button and quickboost on right stick button and put all your shooting on shoulders. It takes some practice, but it's as HoTaS as you get.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

AC4 and on are actually perfect examples of what I don't like in a mech game. It's all flash, no substance. The changes to FCSes and how locks work left a lot of mechanics that had come to light by the wayside, especially stuff like keeping an opponent on the edge of the reticule to immediately kill a doublelock if the opponent is trying to manipulate your lock lead.

From top to bottom, AC4 plays very similarly the whole way through, just with more refinement. There's little in the way of mechanics that change the flow of the game, just Fast.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I prefer mech controls where you feel like a big clunky machine like the old Mechwarrior games

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Mechwarrior 2 was cool as poo poo.

That Gundam pod thing looks wicked cool. All I want from this new VR thing is a Gundam sim because I've always wanted to sit in the cockpit of a big robot but couldn't afford steel battalion.

also I want a new X-Wing and\or TIE Fighter game

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Shinjobi posted:

This is true. But 12 year old me and my friend mastered that drat game. For but a fleeting moment in my childhood, I was a newtype.

How to master JtJaburo: Fly high in the air, strafe fire. A ranks across the board for literally any suit.

gently caress all those cheat sites telling me to A rank every thing to get Wing Gundam

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I used to play the Mission Mode or whatever it was called in Journey to Jaburo while listening to N*Sync & Backstreet Boys on my first CD player. :corsair:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Tae posted:

R.A.D wasnt so much clumsy as it was complicated, but it felt loving :black101: to get good enough at it to walk Vavel off the launch gate, skate down the street without crashing and punch a monster in the face when it was out of line of sight for most of the process.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

journey to jaburo was incredibly difficult to control when i played it, but it was really satisfying when something actually...worked. boosting onto the back of a gaw and using the hammer to destroy its dorsal wing was a herculean feat of gaming

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The thing about ZoE 2's controls is they're less about simulating the feel of moving a massive robot, and more about simulating the feeling of being the ultimate badass pilot.

You even get a slow and clunky robot at the start, just so you can appreciate how obscene Jehuty's combat abilities are.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mech games should really only have one of two speeds, slow and lumbering or BOOSTBOOSTBOOSTBOOSTBOOST.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The classic zoomy shu-shu robo or stompy do-don robo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

Mech games should really only have one of two speeds, slow and lumbering or BOOSTBOOSTBOOSTBOOSTBOOST.

I 'unno, I can see a game where you move like an Evangelion being pretty fun.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chumbler posted:

Old armored core was neither of those and lost a lot of its spark when it turned to the latter.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Artum posted:

Old armored core was neither of those and lost a lot of its spark when it turned to the latter.

:respek:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans well regarded? I haven't watched anime for a long time and never watched Gundam but this poo poo is off the hook. I'm having a great time sticking it to the man with Mika and Orga.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think the main complaints for ibo is that it drags in places and pulls some punches. also naze

it's pretty good (tho that is a point of contention for some) but I don't think many people would call it among the best gundam series

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

JBP posted:

Is Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans well regarded?

It's got a great first season right up until the very end, and then a so-so second season that has some good bits.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think the main complaints for ibo is that it drags in places and pulls some punches. also naze

it's pretty good (tho that is a point of contention for some) but I don't think many people would call it among the best gundam series

As a complete product I'd probably consider it the best Gundam TV series since, gently caress, Turn A, narrowly beating G-Reco for me.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JBP posted:

Is Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans well regarded? I haven't watched anime for a long time and never watched Gundam but this poo poo is off the hook. I'm having a great time sticking it to the man with Mika and Orga.

It's a solid story with some pacing issues and some story decisions that aren't bad, exactly, but are very much a matter of taste - it's dark, cynical, gets into some pretty heavy material, and is more interested in showing problems than in showing solutions. Also, while the soundtrack and mechanical designs are rad, and the fight choreography is if not top-tier, extremely good for a full-length Gundam TV series, Yu Ito continues to be the franchise's worst character designer since Hisashi Hirai. I liked it a lot, but I can see how others didn't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

It's a solid story with some pacing issues and some story decisions that aren't bad, exactly, but are very much a matter of taste - it's dark, cynical, gets into some pretty heavy material, and is more interested in showing problems than in showing solutions. Also, while the soundtrack and mechanical designs are rad, and the fight choreography is if not top-tier, extremely good for a full-length Gundam TV series, Yu Ito continues to be the franchise's worst character designer since Hisashi Hirai. I liked it a lot, but I can see how others didn't.

Man, I do not like IBO's character designs at all but 'worse than Takuzo Nagano" is a pretty dire insult.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JBP posted:

I'm like 9 episodes in and it's pretty ok. I'd say it's probably the best non-UC, non-Build Fighters thing to come out of Gundam since Turn A.

Its really loving dark, even for Gundam's standards. Mika just fuckin' murders a guy execution style in the third or so episode and that kind of came as a shock. I remember reading a lot of Japanese parents weren't too happy about that, and I can kinda understand why.

It also seems to have a problem that a lot of Gundam stuff has in that the tone swings back and forth wildly. One episode you got Mika murdering people in cold blood, then you have stereotypical cutesy anime girls blushing and doing dumb anime stuff and I'm just like "whaaaaaaat??" But like I said, this is pretty common in Gundam. Just recently in the Origin OVA we had Dozle Zabi doing goofy comic relief stuff suddenly followed by what's probably the most horrifying depiction of a colony drop in the series. And you know, Zeta was dark and depressing, then ZZ was goofy, then went back to being dark and depressing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Man, I do not like IBO's character designs at all but 'worse than Takuzo Nagano" is a pretty dire insult.

Ah, whoops, I thought Ito did AGE's designs as well. They do look extremely similar.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Hirai's character designs are the biggest reason I just can't bring myself to rewatch Seed or Seed destiny. His art style only worked in Scryed imo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Hirai's character designs are the biggest reason I just can't bring myself to rewatch Seed or Seed destiny. His art style only worked in Scryed imo.

Majestic Prince.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest the only character designer who has worked on Gundam recently that I've liked is Kenichi Yoshida and even then it's following up Gainer and Eureka 7 which I think he did better on.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

His character designs are the reason why I can't watch SEED. I can't made it more than like, 3 episodes in. They're so off putting. I realize art style is a dumb reason to write off a show but character's faces actually kind of bother me. Their mouths \ facial expressions are so weird and inhuman and their eyes are so huge and far apart. It's like an uncanny valley effect.

Or maybe it's like looking at amateurish anime doodles on deviantart. Probably that. This might strike a nerve, but Crossbone's art is kind of like that. Sorry. I know some people really like Crossbone. But it really does look like the scribbles of a 14 year old who found a "how to draw anime" book. It looks amateur as hell.

But anyway, long story short, people freaking hate SEED Destiny but I can't even make it to that point by a long shot. I can't even really comment on SEED's story because I can't sit through it long enough to actually get to that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
We can't have every show with character design by Toshihiro Kawamoto, sadly.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest the only character designer who has worked on Gundam recently that I've liked is Kenichi Yoshida and even then it's following up Gainer and Eureka 7 which I think he did better on.

Funnily enough, he's probably the bottom of the barrel as far as I'm concerned. I find his art really off-putting in a way I can't describe.

If I had to pick a favorite past like the early 90s, it'd have to be Hirotoshi Takaya. He comes the closest to emulating the 80s and 90s style I like from people like Miura or Kawamoto.

Edit:

Arcsquad12 posted:

We can't have every show with character design by Toshihiro Kawamoto, sadly.

:respek:/:smith:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

His character designs are the reason why I can't watch SEED. I can't made it more than like, 3 episodes in. They're so off putting. I realize art style is a dumb reason to write off a show but character's faces actually kind of bother me. Their mouths \ facial expressions are so weird and inhuman and their eyes are so huge and far apart. It's like an uncanny valley effect.

Or maybe it's like looking at amateurish anime doodles on deviantart. Probably that. This might strike a nerve, but Crossbone's art is kind of like that. Sorry. I know some people really like Crossbone. But it really does look like the scribbles of a 14 year old who found a "how to draw anime" book. It looks amateur as hell.

But anyway, long story short, people freaking hate SEED Destiny but I can't even make it to that point by a long shot. I can't even really comment on SEED's story because I can't sit through it long enough to actually get to that.

Animation is a choice to use the entire audiovisual suite to tell a story. If it isn't providing an appropriate sensory experience, that's a pretty big problem.

If your art sucks, write a goddamned novel.

One thing I will say in the Crossbone artist's defence is that while his designs suck (and especially his character art - sameface, wonky anatomy, inscrutable facial expressions and body-language) he can at least make a visually understandable mecha fight scene. I've read enough giant robot comics to know that this is not as easy as it sounds.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
When you finish watching IBO try to look up the effort posts done by Darth Walrus (I think it was him anyway) on the evolution of the gundam suits through the show.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The character designs in IBO and AGE are both good. In AGE's case, good character and mech designs are literally the only thing it has going. IBO is at least good, on top of the good designs.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The best thing about Mika, though, is that he's consistent through the whole series. He demonstrates no qualms about what he does and how good he is at it, and rides that to the very end.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

The character designs in IBO and AGE are both good. In AGE's case, good character and mech designs are literally the only thing it has going. IBO is at least good, on top of the good designs.

The obese gorilla-man with the jewelled swan on his head thanks you for your support. As does Kabuki Solid Snake.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Most characters in AGE look fine if you just judge them on their own, but put the entire cast together and some of them look like they're from different species. There's no stylistic cohesion whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ranzear posted:

The best thing about Mika, though, is that he's consistent through the whole series. He demonstrates no qualms about what he does and how good he is at it, and rides that to the very end.

He actually kind of does, which is his tragedy. His rant at Orga on the train is basically him begging his friend to keep going so the awful poo poo he's done will be worth something, and by the time he's reached the point where he could create the peaceful life he once wanted for himself, he's thrown too much of his humanity away to live as anything other than a weapon, so he doubles down and ensures that fighting is literally the only thing he and his friends can do so that everyone else will stop asking them to be better. Most of Tekkadan's downfall in S2 is due to Orga's decisions, but Mikazuki is Orga's motivation, and he damned well knows it.