Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol OnePlus lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The missteps of the past year have soured even r/android on Oneplus. It's certainly more popular there than it is here but the brand is noticeably less popular than at the time of the Oneplus 3 I reckon.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Incessant Excess posted:

The missteps of the past year have soured even r/android on Oneplus. It's certainly more popular there than it is here but the brand is noticeably less popular than at the time of the Oneplus 3 I reckon.

So, they're treating it like that once cool indie band that got a corporate contract and "sold out"? :haw:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Boywunda posted:

So, my Nexus 6P, which was subsidized through my carrier (Rogers) is going through that horrible battery issue, powering off at like 60% battery and poo poo like that. Not to mention it just feels slow as hell (compared to when it was new). My contract is up on Boxing day, but I'm not sure how much longer I can wait.

Money is a bit of an issue, so I would definitely want to subsidize again. It would cost just under $50 to get out of the contract now, as opposed to waiting.

I guess my question is.....I'm debating if I should wait until Black Friday deals next month or Boxing day deals to see what deals are available (looking at Pixel 2 (XL), LG V30, or the S8 (+)), or just go and get the 0$ down OG Pixel XL right now and pay the $50 to get out of my contract. The OG Pixel XL will last me another 2 years without much issues right? I'm so used to getting a "this year" phone when getting a new phone that my insides are screaming to just wait it out another month or 2. But dealing with this lovely battery problem and carrying a battery pack with me wherever I go is getting old real fast.

You could also check with Google Support, see if they will do anything for you since it is a super common issue.

Or go to a repair shop and have them swap the battery. Once you do that and if you feel up to it, do a full hard reset, (if you didn't after getting Oreo this would be a good idea) it should feel as fast as it was new.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Decius posted:

These numbers are good, but nothing out of the ordinary:

https://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3?idPhone=8630#show

Edit: Or at least not something that should make you wish your phone breaks.
Ew, Samsung. No, I do like my phone (hell this thread sold me on it) but I've had it for a while and I kinda want something new and shiny. I'm out of the honeymoon phase.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Since the thread loves to recommend the G5+ I take it it's one of the few phones where adaptable storage hasn't been deactivated for no reason?

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

You could also check with Google Support, see if they will do anything for you since it is a super common issue.

Or go to a repair shop and have them swap the battery. Once you do that and if you feel up to it, do a full hard reset, (if you didn't after getting Oreo this would be a good idea) it should feel as fast as it was new.

Tried the Google support already, along with many others, they were not able to provide additional support unless it was purchased through the Play Store (where they were RMA'ing with brand new Pixel XLs).

I have done hard resets before updating to Oreo, but haven't since...I'll do that again. Don't think Ill spend any money on replacing the battery though....this thing doesn't deserve more of my money.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Incessant Excess posted:

Since the thread loves to recommend the G5+ I take it it's one of the few phones where adaptable storage hasn't been deactivated for no reason?

There's actually really, really good reasons for adoptable storage to be disabled, especially in ones with relatively fast internal memory.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Ah, so it's more something that's aimed at low-end devices with a really small amount of internal storage? Rather than some UFS 2.0 kinda flagship?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Incessant Excess posted:

Ah, so it's more something that's aimed at low-end devices with a really small amount of internal storage? Rather than some UFS 2.0 kinda flagship?

Correct. It's really for phones that only have like 8gb or less of storage.

Most Android apps allow you to store media on SD card now, so that's the best way to use it on phones like the G5+.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

OnePlus is the plus one in all your texts and calls

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Decius posted:

These numbers are good, but nothing out of the ordinary:

https://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3?idPhone=8630#show

Edit: Or at least not something that should make you wish your phone breaks.

It's 7th on the list. That's pretty darn good considering it's form factor and smaller battery.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Godinster posted:

There's actually really, really good reasons for adoptable storage to be disabled, especially in ones with relatively fast internal memory.

Incessant Excess posted:

The outward reason they have been doing away with it is basically just that it's a point of complication with regards to secondary support. If some user is having an issue with their phone being slow or behaving incorrectly, there's no way to tell what kind of cheap garbage SD card they have that might be causing it.

There's no super compelling reason to have it when your phone has 64/128 internal, and access to all sorts of cloud storage, so it's basically now safe for them to dump it.

Manufacturers like LG and Samsung seem to keep it on board as a matter of having a longer feature list. Phones below 32gb keep it as a matter of necessity.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Incessant Excess posted:

I have a G5+. It's all-around twice the phone of the LG G5 that I was given as a warranty replacement for my broken Nexus 5X. I'd say it's about as good a phone as the Nexus 5X, and also it hasn't broken in the months I've had it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

FAUXTON posted:

OnePlus is the plus one in all your texts and calls

So it's only for Americans and Canadians? :confused:

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Hope you guys weren't hoping to get a good trade value on your old Pixels.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/75kd6e/lol_this_is_the_tradein_kit_just_arrived/

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Ragingsheep posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/75kd6e/lol_this_is_the_tradein_kit_just_arrived/

Google'd.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

Lol

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
So is the consensus on the Pixel 2 XL to wait and see for reviews? I have an aged Droid Turbo and I'm really itching for a nice camera.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Probably a good idea to wait for reviews when you're dropping close to $1000 on anything...

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

That's the consensus* on any untested piece of technology.

___
*There is one hundred percent unanimous agreement on this point if one disregards the people who are wrong.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Honestly if you like the Galaxy/Pixel/iPhone series enough already you might as well jump on it if you need a phone. The issues identified on these phones usually crop up long after all reviews are out. If you don't need a phone now you definitely should wait until the growing pains and/or complete recall are over and done with.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

Yeah, I got my "trade in kit"(and I use that term very loosely here) in the mail today. I'm planning on just trying to sell it on craigslist/swappa/letgo/etc for the "$400" theoretic value of the trade in instead of trying to mail it in with that garbage padded envelope. It's not even a cardboard lined/sturdy padded envelope, its just extremely thin bubble wrap encased in extremely thin plastic. Very disappointing. I can't imagine my phone getting to them remotely in the condition that it will leave my hands and I really don't want to deal with the "If your phone is sent back, you accept all liability if the return shipment is lost of damaged. If this occurs, Google Customer Support can provide guidance on how to file a claim." nonsense.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

With how much it's blowing up I would t be surprised if Google came out with some sort of solution or guidance.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Affix a stamp directly to the upper right corner of the gorilla glass and set this image with the address as your lockscreen wallpaper and drop your phone in the nearest post box, thank you for participating in the trade-in program!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

With how much it's blowing up I would t be surprised if Google came out with some sort of solution or guidance.

On one hand, the envelope horrifies me (I got mine today). I'll be documenting my phone extensively and likely put a bit more packing in there to protect it a bit more.

On the other hand, this company's business is taking in phones and turning them around for refurb sales. If it was statistically relevant that you phone would be damaged with these shipping methods, they would likely be out of business since they would spend more on screen replacements than they would make reselling the devices.

Then there's Google in the middle of all this who traditionally has great customer service.

So, I'm worried, but not horribly worried. I will say this is the exact method that Motorola shipped my Droid Razr back to me after I had the screen repaired by them and it was fine.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Boywunda posted:

Tried the Google support already, along with many others, they were not able to provide additional support unless it was purchased through the Play Store (where they were RMA'ing with brand new Pixel XLs).

I have done hard resets before updating to Oreo, but haven't since...I'll do that again. Don't think Ill spend any money on replacing the battery though....this thing doesn't deserve more of my money.

I know it might sound like voodoo but one thing I tried with my 6P that had that issue, was flash the original 6.0.0 OS image directly from Google to the device using ADB and the easy batch file FlashAll.bat that's in the package, load it up and run the battery from full to empty. Then recharge and flash the latest OS image.

While it sounds goofy, it did semi fix mine at the time from shutting down until like 2% where before it was as bad as the 20~% range.

It still sent that one back due to the speakerphone mic not working.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Munkaboo posted:

So is the consensus on the Pixel 2 XL to wait and see for reviews? I have an aged Droid Turbo and I'm really itching for a nice camera.

alternatively, if you want the black and white, shipping times are already in december. May as well put in your order to hold a place in line and cancel if the reviews change your mind.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I can't believe this is just now hitting the thread, I read about it on the day the trade in was announced on one of the sites.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

bull3964 posted:

So, I'm worried, but not horribly worried. I will say this is the exact method that Motorola shipped my Droid Razr back to me after I had the screen repaired by them and it was fine.

I don't remember the Verizon trade in envelopes being any different than those Pixel kits. People freak out about everything

LastInLine posted:

I can't believe this is just now hitting the thread, I read about it on the day the trade in was announced on one of the sites.

What? I don't think people had the kits day of unless they had a time machine

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I don't remember the Verizon trade in envelopes being any different than those Pixel kits. People freak out about everything

From September 29 on 9to5Google.com

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
. Nevermind nothing to see here.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 11, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Trade in program went live before the Pixel 2 was announced.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I stand corrected.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I recall a Fi employee stating that it's ok to just put the phone in that envelope and THEN put that envelope into another container. Apparently, as long as it's in the envelope, it's alright to do that.

EDIT: Yeah, here we go:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProjectFi/comments/73xyx0/talked_with_representative_about_tradein_kit/

quote:

"You can send the device in the bubble envelope and then you can place it inside the box. If you could help me with the screen shots of the device. I will save your device(Nexus 6P) images under the account. In case if there is any damage causes while shipping the device in the bubble envelope i will be there to help you."
"I have saved all the information and screenshots you can now send your old device in the envelope and the box without any worries. I will give you a case number where i made a clear documentation for you so that you won't be having any issue regarding this in future."

Just get pics of things and make sure it's well documented that BEFORE you send the device, it's in the conditioned you promised and you should be okay just by putting it in another box as long as it's in the bubble envelope.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 11, 2017

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I am considering getting first gen pixel. Should I look for the XL or standard version?

I am switching from Moto X gen 2 and the screen size feels pretty ok (mostly because I've had time to get used to it :v:)

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Mnemosyne posted:

If the phone is in Do Not Disturb / Alarms Only mode, will official Emergency Alerts still make noises?

I'm in California, and they issued an Emergency Alerts to say that there were mandatory evacuations this afternoon, about 5 miles from me. The wildfires are burning less than 10 miles from me, and I'm concerned about going to sleep tonight without a way to make sure that I know if evacuations are ordered in the middle of the night.

Emergency alerts should work in DND mode. That's the primary reason I turned emergency alerts off on my phone, gently caress if I'm looking for kidnapped children in a green Ford Taurus at 3:30am WTF?! I just wanna sleep, goddamn.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SB35 posted:

Emergency alerts should work in DND mode. That's the primary reason I turned emergency alerts off on my phone, gently caress if I'm looking for kidnapped children in a green Ford Taurus at 3:30am WTF?! I just wanna sleep, goddamn.

I know my Pixel allows me to disable the emergency cell broadcasts according to severity - extreme, severe, and amber/silver alerts (no joke old people with fugues just take off and they're insanely good at getting fatally lost). I couldn't give a gently caress about the lost people alerts, so I disabled those right off. If I ever find out what the difference is between severe and extreme ones I'll probably disable the severe ones too because if it's just blizzard warnings I can tell when a blizzard is en route thanks.

seriously about the old people thing: https://twitter.com/OWHnews/status/915960270484209664

hide and go almost die in a cornfield is ehhh not the best game to play at that age

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

With so much focus on Samsung and LG, can't we all just agree that the real poo poo manufacturer at this point is Huawei?

All the bootloops with none of the battery life.

My Mate 9 has been flawless over the last 8 months. Easily gets 10 hours of SoT over the course of 2 average days.

Takes pretty nice pictures too.
https://flic.kr/s/aHskQ8wEgv

I'm actually more excited for the Mate 10 than I was the Pixel 2 announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mental Hospitality posted:

My Mate 9 has been flawless over the last 8 months. Easily gets 10 hours of SoT over the course of 2 average days.

Takes pretty nice pictures too.
https://flic.kr/s/aHskQ8wEgv

I'm actually more excited for the Mate 10 than I was the Pixel 2 announcement.

I've had my P9 since 14 months already and the battery is flawless, runs smooth, takes great pics and is the best android device I've had so far. I'd only change it for a Nokia 8 at this point. And no, I wouldn't get a Pixel because Google is dumb and spanish google store won't sell it.