Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
well why not
Feb 10, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

Now I am wondering if there are many examples of properties that are much more popular in the US than in their own country of origin.

The US normally adapts things, so it usually ends up with a US copy (like Wilfred, The Slap, Kath & Kim, or The Office)

Oddly, The UK adores Australian soap opera, but that may just be due to their hunger for all english-language soap content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Super Fan posted:

I found it infantile and and not in a charming way like a Waters film.

Pain & Gain was legitimately hard to sit through. Like attending church as a little kid.

That's why it's funny

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Desperado Bones posted:

Here in Mexico, I guess, mainly the reasons why those are so popular is because of the endless reruns on TV. Also, the dubbing cast in the original old Top Cat series had some very popular comedians from the era if I recall correctly. So, many people my age and way older remember it fondly.
In the US it's probably one of the most forgotten Hanna-Barbara properties. I know what it is because Cartoon Network still showed that stuff when I was a kid, but kids today probably don't. I don't know that it's even shown on Boomerang.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Now I am wondering if there are many examples of properties that are much more popular in the US than in their own country of origin.

A good amount of anime. For example, Cowboy Bebop bombed pretty hard in Japan, to my understanding, and Gundam Wing is the most popular Gundam series here while Japan sees it as just kind of an oddity.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Super Fan posted:

Pain & Gain was legitimately hard to sit through. Like attending church as a little kid.

Comparing yourself to an impatient child is kind of a poor argument.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

A good amount of anime. For example, Cowboy Bebop bombed pretty hard in Japan, to my understanding, and Gundam Wing is the most popular Gundam series here while Japan sees it as just kind of an oddity.

Big O too. Cartoon Network even paid to have a second season made. Toonami was pretty influential with popularizing particular animes of a certain generation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Casimir Radon posted:

In the US it's probably one of the most forgotten Hanna-Barbara properties. I know what it is because Cartoon Network still showed that stuff when I was a kid, but kids today probably don't. I don't know that it's even shown on Boomerang.

Top Cat is kind of an unintentional period piece that's near incomprehensible if you're not familiar with somewhat sanitised 60s New York. I'm guessing the Spanish dub took some creative liberties that aged better.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Super Fan posted:

It all actually happened. They really were a bunch of dumb meatheads who inexplicably got away with their stupid poo poo for way longer than they should have.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
How can you not find the Rock funny in that film. Hell Marky Mark was pretty hilarious too, especially his MERICA monologues at the start.
Cmon man. Not everything can be pink flamingos

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Punkin Spunkin posted:

How can you not find the Rock funny in that film. Hell Marky Mark was pretty hilarious too, especially his MERICA monologues at the start.
Cmon man. Not everything can be pink flamingos

You’ve never seen Pink Flamingos

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Super Fan posted:

I haven't either :shrug:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I've never seen Pink Flamingos, but people who do all say "piece of poo poo".

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Super Fan posted:

I wouldn't characterize Waters' films as 'charmingly infantile.'

And while there's a nominal thematic overlap between P&G and PF, there's no significant dramatic or aesthetic overlap. Preferring the latter doesn't provide any clarity as to the qualities of the former and how you appreciate them.

P&G features the Rock trying to dispose of a dismembered body by grilling it. It's hilarious.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Super Fan posted:

I have, actually? what a weird fuggin pretentious goon thing to say. hard to forget you saw a movie where poo poo eating happens. saw female trouble too.

Not everything can be a john waters movie

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The scene where they try to run over Monk is pitch perfect black comedy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

weekly font posted:

The scene where they try to run over Monk is pitch perfect black comedy.

My favorite is when they are trying to kill him in the hospital, disguised as doctors, but keep getting lost and confused.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Baron von Eevl posted:

I've heard of exactly nobody involved in this, so I looked up the writer/director. His last theatrical movie was Chairman of the Board. Oof.

I believe it is spelled B-o-r-e-d.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
“I don’t just want everything you have. I want you not to have it.”

The closest aesthetic and thematic counterparts to P&G are Evan Goldberg/Seth Rogen comedies like This Is the End and The Interview. To wit, P&G is a better than/actually good version of said. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeIN8qiXc2k

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diiaCw3frzo

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 10, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Desperado Bones posted:

Here in Mexico, I guess, mainly the reasons why those are so popular is because of the endless reruns on TV. Also, the dubbing cast in the original old Top Cat series had some very popular comedians from the era if I recall correctly. So, many people my age and way older remember it fondly.

Top Cat is hugely popular here in Mexico for two major reasons: because people identify themselves with the characters (at some point or another every single of us wanted to be a smooth, con man like Top Cat or a Casanova like Fancy Fancy) and the dub. Is not as much as having popular comedians as the dub team being incredibly talented and making the characters theirs. Like is not rare for children to assume Top Cat is happening on one of Mexican City barrios rather than NY.

The Big O got a second season entirely due its popularity on the states.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Not everything can be a john waters movie

And that's why the universe is terrible :colbert:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

A lot of anime titles from the Golden Age of the 80s and 90s. For example, Cowboy Bebop only got a movie largely because of it's international audience. The Bubblegum Crisis remake and second season of The Big O where funded by American production companies, they had fans in Japan, but never as big as in America.

E:fb

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

PenguinKnight posted:

I'd rather every movie was directed by Gaspar Noé. That'd be...uhhh...interesting & painful
with Waters after so many decades & cool movies I already get his shtick and don't really need more of it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bringing the two discussions together with cartoons, dubs, urban cats and regional popularity, I think Samurai Pizza Cats is at least somewhat more fondly regarded by Western audiences for its entertaining dub, which the dubbers had to come up with wholecloth because the anime's original makers neglected to send scripts along with the show.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

PenguinKnight posted:

If every movie was as weird as john waters movies, how would john waters distinguish himself?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
P&G is in my top 10 for the decade.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

well why not posted:

I love it, this just goes to show that great storytelling doesn't require an understanding of the language. Who did Danny Trejo voice in this? The mean pony?

Yeah, the one who gets eaten :gonk:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Renoistic posted:

Yeah, the one who gets eaten :gonk:

That was a pretty dark goddamn scene.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Yeah Bay has the sense of humor of like a moderately intelligent 12 year old boy, so it's somewhat hit and miss. Also the True Story chyron gag is stolen from South Park.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Inescapable Duck posted:

Bringing the two discussions together with cartoons, dubs, urban cats and regional popularity, I think Samurai Pizza Cats is at least somewhat more fondly regarded by Western audiences for its entertaining dub, which the dubbers had to come up with wholecloth because the anime's original makers neglected to send scripts along with the show.

I think there was one anime, Ghost Stories, that they redubbed in the US because they were told, "just make up whatever will make this sell." So it's lots of crude jokes and ad-libbed humor because they had to just make up whatever they could to make people interested in what was apparently a poorly selling show on its own.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Are we seriously arguing RML aren't racist edgelords? This is the same show that had Rich Evans leave a ching chong voice-message. And I'm pretty sure it was the third time that happened.

The Get Out excuse is missing the point. They're totally fine with black people in black targeted movies. Once it's in a mainstream movie all of a sudden its pandering.

https://youtu.be/3XCFjN80BO8

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Thundercracker posted:

Are we seriously arguing RML aren't racist edgelords? This is the same show that had Rich Evans leave a ching chong voice-message. And I'm pretty sure it was the third time that happened.

The Get Out excuse is missing the point. They're totally fine with black people in black targeted movies. Once it's in a mainstream movie all of a sudden its pandering.

https://youtu.be/3XCFjN80BO8

They all gave Rich poo poo for it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

:rolleye:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

DBZ is surely made mostly for Amercian audiences too, right?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

well why not posted:

DBZ is surely made mostly for Amercian audiences too, right?

Mexicans actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N85YNZVVgZc

:v:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

It's pretty easy to build a strawman when you ignore them tearing down poo poo like discriminatory practices in Hollywood in every other botw.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

K. Waste posted:

P&G features the Rock trying to dispose of a dismembered body by grilling it. It's hilarious.

PF has a similar scene 😀

I dunno, I just don’t like The Rock all that much

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Super Fan posted:

I feel like if you told John Waters his films were infantile but charming he'd probably shank you in a bathroom stall

K. Waste posted:

“I don’t just want everything you have. I want you not to have it.”

The closest aesthetic and thematic counterparts to P&G are Evan Goldberg/Seth Rogen comedies like This Is the End and The Interview. To wit, P&G is a better than/actually good version of said. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeIN8qiXc2k

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diiaCw3frzo

Mind expanding on that comparison?

porfiria posted:

Yeah Bay has the sense of humor of like a moderately intelligent 12 year old boy, so it's somewhat hit and miss. Also the True Story chyron gag is stolen from South Park.

Notably, if you've read the article the movie is based on, the cards are mostly lies. The thrust of the film is accurate but as with any movie it's heavily fictionalized with characters being collapsed into each other and so forth. I'd have to rewatch it but I read the article just before watching it and noticed the cards being right after several of the bigger changes

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Super Fan posted:

I dunno, I just don’t like The Rock all that much

What's wrong with you?

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
He makes me feel inadequate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's pretty easy to build a strawman when you ignore them tearing down poo poo like discriminatory practices in Hollywood in every other botw.

Pacific Rim 2 is doing something right. John Boyega belongs as a leading man. Not a secondary character to boring white son of old western man.

• Locked thread