Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

It took me an hour to figure out how to trance Terra by slapping her at the start of a fight. It sucked.

I thought I had some idiot setting on that auto targeted harmful spells to enemies despite you manually targeting your party but turns out it just a miserable crapshoot of trial and error thanks to DeNa lottery coding.

Powerchain? Sure, you can hit yourself.
Dervish? Nope
Fire twinshot? No way.
Chain Firaga? Yeah sure burn yourself
Dash and Slash? No.

When I finally found something in the ballpark of the needed damage I adjusted magicites, Terra's equipment etc until it worked every time.

A good rule of thumb is "does the attack itself have a unique animation for the character?" Powerchain is probably the one exception to the rule, but anything that moves your character's sprite around will auto-target enemies because it would break the animations to target the player-side instead of the character side. Spells are generally fine (Exception: BSB commands, usually) and simple low-level attacks will do it, but the flashier 5* skills don't work quite as well.

With Terra and Vivi, that means that Raines can make life easier by slapping them upside the face with a Memento Mori. (Dark Bargain also works.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Fister Roboto posted:

Theoretically speaking, if you were somehow able to do over 120,000 damage to the shadow dragon before its 4th turn, you would be able to skip black fang entirely, right? I tried with Agrias's and Orlandeau's OSBs and the best I could get was about 90k.

Yes, but it generally requires very specific setups and probably involves multiple entrust bots and at least some degree of RNG: for example, if you happen to have both Raines' BSB and OSB and a +holy weapon and armor, you can give him Gathering Storm, have someone (most likely OK) use a haste/faith SB at the start, have the other 2 characters wrath and entrust respectively to give Raines an SB bar and have him use Memento Mori followed by his BSB.

Then on the second turn, you can have the character who used the buff SB entrust what little SB they got from the dragon's turn 2 AoE to Raines, while the character who wrathed on the first turn does the same: assuming one of those entrust bots or Raines took a hit on the first turn, the turn order lined up well enough and you input the commands with minimal delay, Raines should barely be able to use his OSB before the 10.50 mark, which should do enough damage combined with his BSB entry to push past the 120k mark. After that, he can alternate between his BSB command 1 to give him instacast next turn and his OSB if the entrusters can keep up the pace.

Granted, that's only one specific example that relies on 3 specific SBs to function (although the 2 BSBs are currently available in the gem-only banner where you can pick one of them directly), but I think the basic concept remains the same. I'm not sure what other characters have the capacity to output that much holy damage that quickly though but if you have party instacast SBs, it should be doable with more setups.

For more info on this and other setups, see this thread where I stole the above strategy from: https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/114492-final-fantasy-record-keeper/75853401

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
So, Shadow Dragon. I kept trying to make a team with WoL/Celes/Beatrix/Ramza/Rosa work to no avail. So, I went and dived Beatrix after getting the latest batch of Bravery motes. I got really, really close with that team, down to 33 seconds. The strat involved letting WoL use his CSB, get killed by Black Fang, then Arisen to try to chip in again. The problem with this strat is that WoL was essentially dead weight without buffs and prone to death. I posted the team comp in the Discord just to get some ideas, and KataraniSword opened my eyes to something. If speed and DPS is the name of the game, why not let Ramza take the bullet? He also suggested using a healer other than Rosa, and to put TG Cid RM3 on the healer rather than on a DPSer.

So, paradigm shift. I decided I'd sub in Vanille with TG Cid RM, and let Ramza take the death. Once Vanille could get her BSB up, she could then chip in some DPS with her CMD1. That was the plan. I also optimized the early turns by making sure that both Celes/Beatrix Divine Crosses went off right after Shout went up. Then, the Guardbringers to go up after WoL used his Chain. With a lucky Beatrix double-cast on her Guardbringer, and a random Diaga cast from Vanille, something interesting happened after 10 seconds. I DID NOT GET BLACK FANGED.

The race was on, and I won.

I am extremely proud of this one. The fact that I didn't need to get TG Cid OSB or Raines BSB makes it all the sweeter. Yes, I know I still have some really damned good tools, but at first blush it didn't even seem like it'd be enough DPS quickly enough to get the job done. All it took was rethinking of how to put the tools together, diving Beatrix (admittedly the real linchpin here) and crafting second copies of Divine Cross and Guardbringer. Here's the team comp if anyone is interested. WoL has CSB, Celes used BSB2, Beatrix using her BSB, Ramza with Shout and then a USB use I wasn't expecting to have since he didn't die, and Vanille BSB.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I was failing in Bismarck and switched to a single DPS+Entrust.

I didn't quite figure out the most efficient way of using Entrust but drat that's a MUCH faster way when you have stuff like Orlandeu's BSB+OSB

I did something like hailstorm, BSB, OSB OSB OSB as often as possible. Apparently his BSB boosts his attack a bunch but I didn't see if it's actually more efficient to skip it and do a bunch of OSBs instead.

I can't do this for every element, and for a lot of the elements my best approach is still damage reflect +2 healers but it's worth giving this approach a try if you aren't having luck with 2 dps 2 healers + buffs approach

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I was failing in Bismarck and switched to a single DPS+Entrust.

I didn't quite figure out the most efficient way of using Entrust but drat that's a MUCH faster way when you have stuff like Orlandeu's BSB+OSB

I did something like hailstorm, BSB, OSB OSB OSB as often as possible. Apparently his BSB boosts his attack a bunch but I didn't see if it's actually more efficient to skip it and do a bunch of OSBs instead.

I can't do this for every element, and for a lot of the elements my best approach is still damage reflect +2 healers but it's worth giving this approach a try if you aren't having luck with 2 dps 2 healers + buffs approach

Against Bismarck it's absolutely more efficient to opt out of the BSB and just do Hailstorm/Dark Bargain and spam his OSB. By that point you're hitting attack softcaps anyway, and the buff from his BSB is just ATK +30%/DEF +50%, in exchange for a long cast time and elements that are resisted by the whale (The BSB is Holy/Dark, ala Raines BSB). Not sure how efficient it would be in Shadow Dragon, since speed's the name of the game there and the ideal Orlandeau startup is basically "OSB turn one, Saint Cross turn 2, spam OSBs as long as you have gauge".

StriderVM
Aug 23, 2013
Guys I really need help. I need to figure out what am I doing wrong. Skillset? Strategy? I just wanted to finish anything higher than 140 difficulty. =(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bRh3O22XI4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYwq15UYhE4

Part of me thinks I'm just missing something...... What could it be? It's always like this in any 140+ fights. =(

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

StriderVM posted:

Guys I really need help. I need to figure out what am I doing wrong. Skillset? Strategy? I just wanted to finish anything higher than 140 difficulty. =(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bRh3O22XI4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYwq15UYhE4

Part of me thinks I'm just missing something...... What could it be? It's always like this in any 140+ fights. =(

Well, this is easy to fix. Have Tyro press the Sentinel's Grimoire button instead of the Unbound Fantasy. Try that and see how it goes from there.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Use your sentinel's grimoire on Tyro before you do anything with him. If you want to keep his USB2 stat buffs up in addition then you'll need to run Wrath & Multi Break instead of Shellga.

e:fb

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Wall effects (Sentinel's Grimoire, Stoneskin II, the freebie RW you get in magicite dungeons) are gamebreaking, and 140 difficulty is about the point where the game starts playing as if it expects you to have them already.

That means the damage will be tuned based on what your party's DEF/RES would be with the +200% buff from SG and the extra +100% from Protectga/Shellga. If you're missing any of that you're gonna take a hefty ton of damage.

So yeah, in harder content, getting that up is a lot more important even than Hastega; hopefully find an outside source of Haste if you want to use the USB.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
They've still got Pilot's Steel for the haste and physical boost.

private message
Aug 22, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
https://i.imgur.com/yI5QRc3.jpg

Seems like Rikku's USB is popular. Too bad gil hasn't been an issue for me for the last two years.

private message
Aug 22, 2004

People seem to like Rikku's USB! Too bad gil hasn't been an issue for me for the last two years.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Man, nobody picks my Rikku USB like that. How long did you not pick it up to get fifty of them?

The money is pretty useless (I have something like 58 million gil) but I like to be helpful.

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 10, 2017

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How does EXP gained through the EXP daily compare to the hard EXP newcomer dungeons with a synergy character(Lulu)?

private message
Aug 22, 2004

Prism posted:

Man, nobody picks my Rikku USB like that. How long did you not pick it up to get fifty of them?

The money is pretty useless (I have something like 58 million gil) but I like to be helpful.

I usually get 20-30 a day but this is the most I've ever gotten at once.

Cleaning up my followers list probably helped too - I had ~70 followers who hadn't logged in a year or two. Now I'm back up to 95 followers a week later.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kanos posted:

I understand that the torment trash was originally meant as a way to test a player's hones, but in practice they basically just boil down to "well I guess I have to sandbag and spam lifesiphons/wraths for 4/6 waves of trash to have full SB bars/prebuffs before the boss" with a side order of "well that one trash enemy landed status time to SL". It's really boring tedious poo poo and I hate doing the 200 and 250 of every event. Jump Start is way more interesting.

Torments were really meant to encourage BSB pulls, now that USB's are the new hotness they have Jumpstarts to make them about bursts.

Electric Phantasm posted:

How does EXP gained through the EXP daily compare to the hard EXP newcomer dungeons with a synergy character(Lulu)?

With synergy the Newcomer EXP Dungeons are as good as the dailies, but they don't give greens.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Electric Phantasm posted:

Newcomer EXP dungeon is 15 stam for 56k experience, 84k with synergy, for 3,733 or 5600 exp/stam. Daily is 40 stam for 240k experience; 6000 exp/stam + greens as Dr. Pepper mentioned.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Note that the synergy boost doesn't stack with the boost you get from any of the +exp RMs

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Nihilarian posted:

Note that the synergy boost doesn't stack with the boost you get from any of the +exp RMs

which is DUMB

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Well fans I still haven't chosen my gem draw relic. But I've narrowed it down to just a few. I'm either picking:

Setzer
Ayame
Snow
or Rapha

Setzer cause there's lots of good debuffs in there. Ayame is just a great SB but I do have Squall BSB2 already. Snow's comes with +ice equipment which is rare, plus I like that last stand that the SB has with it. I could also use some more physical FFXIII help. Rapha I probably won't choose cause I don't like mages generally and don't need FFT, though that's a real good relic for certain.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
The other advantage is that since the newcomer XP dungeons are much easier, you might be able to solo clear them at a lower level; if you can solo that one but have to two-man the XP daily, I'm pretty sure that pushes the newcomer ahead (especially with synergy).

private message posted:

I usually get 20-30 a day but this is the most I've ever gotten at once.

Cleaning up my followers list probably helped too - I had ~70 followers who hadn't logged in a year or two. Now I'm back up to 95 followers a week later.

This is crazy to me because normally I get, like, two.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

Well fans I still haven't chosen my gem draw relic. But I've narrowed it down to just a few. I'm either picking:

Setzer
Ayame
Snow
or Rapha

Setzer cause there's lots of good debuffs in there. Ayame is just a great SB but I do have Squall BSB2 already. Snow's comes with +ice equipment which is rare, plus I like that last stand that the SB has with it. I could also use some more physical FFXIII help. Rapha I probably won't choose cause I don't like mages generally and don't need FFT, though that's a real good relic for certain.

I have snow's bsb but none of the others in your list. The last stand is nice (and the relic was great for that Adamanchelid MP a ways back), but be aware that snow's damage with the bsb leaves something to be desired if you're picking for magicites or something.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Since ipodschun mentioned using Orlando and Agrias vs xi torment I somehow remembered that Snowspell Strike exists and does in fact do ice damage. Upgraded the 2 CM clear to full 3 CM.

Orlando, OSBx2, SSB. Hailstorm R1, Snowspell Strike R2. +30 sword
Ramza, SSB1, SSB2, SSB1. Full Break, Armor Breakdown. TG Might

80 Prishe BSBx3. Tempo Flurry, Protectga. Haste
80 Ayame Hailstorm R2, Warring Flame R2. Ricard's +atk with sap
80 Aphmau. Curada R2, Shellga. Haste

RW Cloud

Orlando nukes the poo poo out of the imp with two OSBs, Prishe and Ayame finish it off. Then bonks the wyrm with snowspell strikes. I threw one SSB at the dragon to finish it off.
Prishe spams tempo flurry until the dragon is slowed and starts to dps afterwards. Prishe BSB damage was necessary for this to be done so it wasn't a wasted Crystal Tower pick after all.
Ramza lowers the dragon's defense once the imp is dead.

So it looks like I can somehow maintain the all torment 3CMs cleared status but it was close this time.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

saltylopez posted:

I have snow's bsb but none of the others in your list. The last stand is nice (and the relic was great for that Adamanchelid MP a ways back), but be aware that snow's damage with the bsb leaves something to be desired if you're picking for magicites or something.

I think I have my magicite covered for Ice. I'm not picking for them there. The +ice on the armor is one of the main reasons I'm considering it. 2nd part is the XIII physical help. I noticed the SB doesn't come with En-ice so I'm not worried about that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Dr Pepper posted:

Torments were really meant to encourage BSB pulls, now that USB's are the new hotness they have Jumpstarts to make them about bursts.

To be honest, I don't even use my BSBs during torment trash because I'm saving all of my bars to nuke the boss.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kanos posted:

To be honest, I don't even use my BSBs during torment trash because I'm saving all of my bars to nuke the boss.

The long and short of it is that a few months ago, the meta was far more encouraging of long battles of attrition, but now (and doubly so later) it's becoming more about speed-focused alpha strikes. Hell, the best Magicite clears I've done don't even use OK for his buffs, but for Entrust.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

I just finished leveling Gaffgarion to 99 to get his RM for my legend dived Cecil. It was so, so worth it and it singled handedly made the latest torment 300 a joke.

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 11, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

When does the ff1 torment open?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

When does the ff1 torment open?

I don't think there's any way to know. But probably soon. They seem to be burning through them pretty quick these days.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

I hate these guys.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

MikeSevigny posted:

I hate these guys.

i had the dragon hit four out of five petro-eyes on me in my winning attempt. very rude.

30% chance to petrify my rear end.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alright I need to decide on my CT relic. I've pretty much narrowed it down to Fujin or Y'shtola. I have Fujin's enwind SSB and her OSB, so the BSB itself might seem superfluous. On the other hand the all-realm +wind mage weapon would be very nice, even though it has limited equippability. Asylum would be better in a more general sense, but I've already got plenty of other good healing BSBs, especially Deuce's which I'm really starting to love.

Other options for consideration would be Sarah's (I have no FF1 synergy, but again I have plenty of other healer BSBs and this one seems unremarkable), Beatrix's (I really don't need another +holy sword, but I don't have any holy imperils aside from Agrias's LM2), or Prishe's (really good NE DPS I think? also I have very little FF11 synergy).

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

OSB is a dupe, unfortunately. I don't expect to use Barret much. Oh well.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I had about 30 dupes going into this lucky out of about 100 total relics on the banner.

3/11 no dupes woo

Really happy about the headliners. First VII hastega and a great Cloud relic (my first GOOD one for him!). I needed an excuse to 99 him for his RM.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Just a second Ultima Blade and a Jujitsu Gi that seems okay but is more just bonus attack for Galuf.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
1/11 Aeris BSB

Could be worse, I guess!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I got really excited when I saw the disco ball. Nope, Tifa USB dupe.

But I also got Yuffie's BSB which I guess is good? My water game is hella weak.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Armor based stuff is always welcome! This makes my fourth different relic for Bartz. Not sure how often I'll use CoD though.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
1/11 Yuffie BSB. Yeah sure, I guess that's a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Winner winner!

Didn't have a healer BSB for 7 so Aeris' Rod is useful too, not sure if I'll ever use Galuf's Gauntlets but lmao Cloud USB so who cares?

• Locked thread