Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

nate fisher posted:

I think my first experience with Ben Foster was in Six Feet Under. After seeing him in movies like Hell or High Water it is hard to imagine he played Russell, the sensitive bi art student in SFU. Speak to what a great actors he is.

Also didn't realize he was engaged twice to Robin Wright, and is now engaged to Laura Prepon. Not bad, not bad at all.

He used to be on a Disney Channel show called Flash Forward back in the mid 90s with a pre-Firefly Jewel Staite. Even back then you could tell he had real talent, and it's been fun watching him evolve into a great character actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I watched Opening Night on Netflix last night and it was kinda good despite me usually disliking musicals...It was much funnier than I expected and the acting was pretty great all around.

I felt like I recognized a lot of the cast from other things...Paul Scheer was great in his limited role and so was Taye Diggs.

I feel like there were probably a bunch of industry jokes that I missed due to knowing next to nothing about theatrical production too

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

It was fine, topper grace is still insufferable

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

It was fine, topper grace is still insufferable

eh, I've never minded him. I guess I haven't watched a ton of his work though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well, Raw certainly was...something. Very French lol.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Stevie Lee posted:

eh, I've never minded him. I guess I haven't watched a ton of his work though.

Traffic is peak Topher Grace

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
What's the good word on the last tycoon on amazon? It has been staring me in the face for a while now and I've always enjoyed Kelsey Grammer...

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Any good horror anthologies on Netflix? For all their faults, I really love Southbound and most of the VHS series.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Boywhiz88 posted:

Traffic is peak Topher Grace

Traffic fuckin owns. God he plays such a good scumbag.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Lester Shy posted:

Any good horror anthologies on Netflix? For all their faults, I really love Southbound and most of the VHS series.

I don't know about "good," buy I think The ABCs of Death movies (there's two) might still be on there.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Anybody got an opinion on "Whatever happened to monday"? Been thinkin' about watchin it.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Fargin Icehole posted:

Anybody got an opinion on "Whatever happened to monday"? Been thinkin' about watchin it.

Seconded

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Inspector Hound posted:

I don't know about "good," buy I think The ABCs of Death movies (there's two) might still be on there.

Yeah those are definitely not good, or worth your time.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fargin Icehole posted:

It was fine. Enjoyable. Predictable. But it had some good moments. Save it for a Sunday afternoon when you're hungover and can barely move.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Fargin Icehole posted:

Great cast and an interesting premise, but the execution is not good. I thought it had a really weak script especially.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

comingafteryouall posted:

The Leftovers for HBO shows

The Leftovers is loving amazing. It also managed to really nail the ending, which is hard to do in a show like that

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

What's the good word on the last tycoon on amazon? It has been staring me in the face for a while now and I've always enjoyed Kelsey Grammer...

I thought it was OK. It wants to be as big as The Crown but on a smaller budget. The acting helps make up for the lousy melodrama in some various subplots but it does have a definitive ending unlike its source material. It's better than Z at least (was Bezos on some F. Scott Fitzgerald obsession when these were green lit?).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

It was fine. Enjoyable. Predictable. But it had some good moments. Save it for a Sunday afternoon when you're hungover and can barely move.

Surely you mean Tuesday.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I thought it was pretty bad, but I guess you can look past the nonsensical stuff if you've got a thing for future dystopia movies.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Lycus posted:

I thought it was pretty bad, but I guess you can look past the nonsensical stuff if you've got a thing for future dystopia movies.

This is me. I like Dystopian futures and looked past its flaws. I thought it was enjoyable if not a little predictable.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Basically, they tried to make Orphan Black the movie but failed to cast Tatiana Maslaney.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The bad batch is an interesting premise but man does it drag. I feel like I've been watching this for 3 hours and there is still 40 minutes left.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Just binged The Good Place, through S1 on Netflix and the on-demand episodes for S2.

I don't know why I didn't watch from the first episode. It's Michael Schur. He does nothing wrong.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
RAW was so loving good. Every scene was drat great. What a weird and wild premise!!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Pulgasari
On Prime
Is directed and starring a kidnapped couple. The director later made 3 Ninja's Knuckle up.

Oops I forgot to say the movie is about a metal eating monster.

Oh and Kim Jong-Il Produced it

Outside the slow start It had me in stitches.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Also on Prime, Caltiki, The Immortal Monster is a surprisingly effective 1959 thriller from Italy. The title creature is sorta like the Blob, but the movie also has clear influences from the first couple of Quatermass films, and a bit of Mayan mythology is thrown in there to boot. The film looks great; it's been released on Blu Ray kinda recently so they had a good print for once, and the director of photography AND special effects was Mario Bava. The effects are a bit variable but at their best they look pretty cool. It's a fun flick, has everything you want from a 50s monster movie- blobs, flamethrowers, giant computers, the world's easiest jailbreak, etc.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Watched Little Evil last night since I believe someone here recommended it. It's a Dad Movie that's funny enough and overall pretty decent. Filled the "we don't want to invest in a serious movie and don't know what to pick" gap.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Junkie Disease posted:

Pulgasari
On Prime
Is directed and starring a kidnapped couple. The director later made 3 Ninja's Knuckle up.

Oops I forgot to say the movie is about a metal eating monster.

Oh and Kim Jong-Il Produced it

Outside the slow start It had me in stitches.

:catstare:

quote:

Kim was a lifelong admirer of the director, as well as Godzilla and other Kaiju films. He kidnapped the former director and his wife, famous actress Choi Eun-hee, with the specific purpose of making fantasy/propaganda films for the North Korean government. Kim Jong-il also produced Pulgasari (through Korean Film Studio) and all the films that Sang-ok made before he and Choi managed to escape from their minders while on a festival tour in Austria. Specifically, the film was inspired by the The Return of Godzilla. The staff from Japan's Toho Studios, the creators of Godzilla, participated in creating the film's special effects. They were tricked into coming as they though they were filming in China.[5]

Jonathan Ross stated that the film was intended by the North Korean Government to be a propaganda metaphor for the effects of unchecked capitalism and the power of the collective.[6][7]

OK, I definitely have got to watch this now.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Big Mouth was very funny, if you're a fan of Nick Kroll or John Mukaney you'll probably like it.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Tin Star is the darkest show I've watched in a long, long time

I really felt sorry for Tim Roth's douchey deputy, he was a bit of a prick but he suffered so much trying to do the right thing. He's the kind of character you're supposed to love to hate, but Roth mistreats him so fully that he becomes a really sympathetic character. I thought his arc was very well developed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Big Mouth was very funny, if you're a fan of Nick Kroll or John Mukaney you'll probably like it.

I had a hard time getting through the first episode with the knowledge that the entire show is about puberty nonstop. It feels too much.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Every episode has given me at least one big laugh, as well as providing me a moment with asking "How the gently caress did this ever get made?"

It's bizarre and uncomfortable and gross, but so is human sexuality and puberty, so it's on the nose. Also has an amazing cast.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Blind is good, watch Blind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHHKuDRrn7o

Kinda like a less sensationalist version of Nocturnal Animals (with a happy ending)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Reagan Show on Hulu, uses the vast amount of recorded footage of Reagan to tell the story of his presidency. Really fascinating and well put together.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The weird thing about Schitt's Creek is at first glance it looks like another "mean comedy", but it's actually pretty upbeat.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Lycus posted:

The weird thing about Schitt's Creek is at first glance it looks like another "mean comedy", but it's actually pretty upbeat.

And Daniel Levy is so dreamy. And ridiculously funny to boot. Probably the only pansexual male character on television? And played by an openly gay actor.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Lycus posted:

It's not awful. It's about as close to an SCTV reunion as we'll ever get so I can't complain.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do any of the streaming services carry Tales From the Crypt?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also why in the loving hell is it not on HBO now? What is my brother even paying for with this service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

veni veni veni posted:

Also why in the loving hell is it not on HBO now?

Rights. I don't think HBO produced it, they just aired it.