Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Blatant Thievery: The perfect 7 mana sorcery for your low-to-the-ground aggro deck. :cripes:

It's really thematic for pirates, and I expect they designed this product for long durdly games given how the board works. But yeah it would have fit a lot better in Archenemy or C17 or Conspiracy 2 or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Omar al-Bishie posted:

as green stompy, how the gently caress do I beat combo decks like storm? also how do I beat storm as any deck because I feel like I don't even understand how it really functions

what kind of green stompy deck is this? Dryad Militant and Scavenging Ooze are pretty good at slowing down storm.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

The seller they are talking about in the video is MTG Mint Card. I have bought dozens of cards from them with no problem.

MTG Mint Card is an Asian company. Cards printed in Asia feel different and I'm almost positive that's why he thinks they are fake. Add in some casual racism about ordering from an Asian company and voila.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Cards printed in Europe also feel different from US cards.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Just cracked Ezuri from of those mystery walmart packs, is his deck worth anything? Boosters were gatecrash and khans.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

nevermind I'm bad at reading comprehension

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=126294&type=card

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 10, 2017

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/owentweetenwald/status/909096110848921600

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Help my aging eyballs out, any of you see a Mana Vault or Land Tax in here?

Someone has a 4th edition gift box in good shape with the little bag and instruction pamphlet and everything for $45 up on CL locally. Could be fun to pick up just to carry decks around in for a lark.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Someone has a 4th edition gift box in good shape with the little bag and instruction pamphlet and everything for $45 up on CL locally. Could be fun to pick up just to carry decks around in for a lark.

Sylvan Library makes that a $20 pile

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Offer them an original iPhone. They'll appreciate the camera upgrade.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Also, some of that is Chronicles, not 4th.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Sylvan Library makes that a $20 pile

Thanks. The novelty of having the old 2-player gift box and token bag might be worth trying to talk them down five bucks. :v:

Toshimo posted:

Also, some of that is Chronicles, not 4th.

The listing says it's the old gift box plus "some boosters" so that maps.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Thanks. The novelty of having the old 2-player gift box and token bag might be worth trying to talk them down five bucks. :v:

The listing says it's the old gift box plus "some boosters" so that maps.

I mean, it's not the worst pile. Nevinnyral's Disk, Mind Twist, Channel, Lightning Bolt, Tron pieces. It certainly hasn't been picked over.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

top row, ninth from the left looks like a mana vault, right next to the ashnod's transmognant

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

evilweasel posted:

top row, ninth from the left looks like a mana vault, right next to the ashnod's transmognant

Totally a Wooden Sphere.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bugsy posted:

Totally a Wooden Sphere.

ahh yeah you're right, the curve gives it away

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

PJOmega posted:

Offer them an original iPhone. They'll appreciate the camera upgrade.

kinda feel like this is the real answer(ask for a better picture)

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I no read gud.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I'm highly enjoying playing 8 rack right now. Went 3-1 yesterday and only lost to Jund being too Jundy.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Rares I recognize:

1 - Power Surge, Triskelion,
3 - Nightmare
4 - Colossus of Sardia
5 - Channel, Inferno
6 - Sylvan Library
8 - Mind Twist I think?, Disk

edit -
5 - Vaevictis Asmadi chronicles
7 - Ayesha Tanaka chronicles

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 10, 2017

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

That's a big ol pile of crap from the most worthless era of Magic, looks like a mix of 4th ed and Chronicles. Sylvan Library is worth something, and the Urza's lands are probably a buck or two. Apart from that the only value is nostalgia.

There's a Mountain Yeti there that kinda sorta looks like a Taiga if you squint, but don't be fooled.

E: Lightning Bolt in the middle there, probably a buck or two.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 10, 2017

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bugsy posted:

edit -

There are no gold cards on 5. There is a Svitri Scarzam on 4, next to Cursed Rack.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Entropic posted:

That's a big ol pile of crap from the most worthless era of Magic, looks like a mix of 4th ed and Chronicles. Sylvan Library is worth something, and the Urza's lands are probably a buck or two. Apart from that the only value is nostalgia.

There's a Mountain Yeti there that kinda sorta looks like a Taiga if you squint, but don't be fooled.

Yeah, if it were the Revised version I'd roll the dice and buy it sight unseen, assuming a scenario where I trusted the seller that it was complete.

I was just hoping for one of the three or so ~$15-20 rares from 4e to justify the nostalgia of wanting the old box/counter bag/rulebook to store stuff in.

Shame the decks weren't kept sorted apart. Would be fun to play with what used to pass for "starter decks," 5 colors with basically random lands, no mana fixing, and a completely random assortment of cards.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Toshimo posted:

There are no gold cards on 5. There is a Svitri Scarzam on 4, next to Cursed Rack.

Damnit, miss typed it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Bugsy posted:

Old multicolor/legend creature design manages to somehow be worse than old mono-color creature design, which is a real accomplishment.

quote:

Svitri Scarzam

Who among us has not wanted to pay one more CMC for a Craw Wurm?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 10, 2017

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Old multicolor/legend creature design manages to somehow be worse than old mono-color creature design, which is a real accomplishment.

Wood Elemental
Elder Land Wurm
Shelkin Brownie
Nameless Race

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Toshimo posted:

Shelkin Brownie

one day, bands with other legends is going to wreck your poo poo and you're going to wish you had a brownie on the board

one day

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Shelkin Brownie

Good sideboard tech in case they are running that cycle of legendary lands that gives legends bands with other legends, and do not have any mana ability or even [T] ability.

This reminds me that I used to run Tolaria in place of an Island just for grins, and should get one to do that again in any format that allows it.

E: As much as I talk about Craw Wurms, my favorite Bad Old Magic Creature was the spitting slug.

E2: I just remembered that Juzam Djinns were the hallmark of a "highly playable creature" in those days. My buddy and I did some shrewd trading and saving up from after school jobs to each get a playset of them at 40-50 bucks a pop to dominate the local type 1 scene.

looked up what they go for now, which I should basically not do for any card I have ever owned and sold. :smith:

Still, I feel like if Juzam were dropped into a set today having never existed, it would be an uncommon that wouldn't register as anything super special. You'd maybe take in draft if your other options weren't very good, but it wouldn't pull you into black on its own.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 10, 2017

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Still, I feel like if Juzam were dropped into a set today having never existed, it would be an uncommon that wouldn't register as anything super special. You'd maybe take in draft if your other options weren't very good, but it wouldn't pull you into black on its own.

It'd have to be either a really dire pack or a set with a lot of Djinn synergy to make me excited about a 5/5 for 2BB, even without the drawback.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MrBling posted:

Cards printed in Europe also feel different from US cards.

Japanese, Korean, Russian cards feel similar. Chinese Traditional and English feel the same to me.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

The first time I read the card I thought it just cost BB. Even then it's "gurmag angler, except twice as expensive and it damages you".

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

uninverted posted:

The first time I read the card I thought it just cost BB. Even then it's "gurmag angler, except twice as expensive and it damages you".

The biggest own back in the day was your opponent putting Spirit Link on it.

It was still worth it. The state of spot removal was pretty bad, and very few creatures above like 2/2 gave reasonable let alone ahead of curve p/t rate. Dark Ritual into a Sol Ring and this bad boy on turn one and you were living the dream.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 11, 2017

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

They've made more Juzams and they've been rare every time. Plague Sliver, Yukora, Phyrexian Scuta..

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Toshimo posted:

They've made more Juzams and they've been rare every time. Plague Sliver, Yukora, Phyrexian Scuta..

Grinning Demon!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Grinning Demon and Abyssal Persecutor too.

Descretion Demon...

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Man, they took a lot of swings at that archetype, and a lot of them I'd call "strictly better."

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Juzam would be quite good in Limited

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

can we do anything about AutoCard Anywhere not working on SA? It's really starting to annoy me now.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AceClown posted:

can we do anything about AutoCard Anywhere not working on SA? It's really starting to annoy me now.

Send Lowtax cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AceClown posted:

Just memorize all cards like I have. :smug: