Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

PantsBandit posted:

I am finally getting around to watching TNG. I don't have a whole lot to say other than it is very good and I can't believe they exploded a dude's head.

Those villains will definitely play a major role moving forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We started watching DS9 again from the start, got to episode 3. Pilot 2 parter and 3rd episode are actually great. I forgot Garak was introduced so early.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PantsBandit posted:

I am finally getting around to watching TNG. I don't have a whole lot to say other than it is very good and I can't believe they exploded a dude's head.

They rarely do anything remotely so graphic. That was a very odd effect considering the tone of the show overall, but I'm kind of glad the first season was directionless enough to give us that.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Was Rick and Morty's Roy based on The Inner Light.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Good question. Considering how big a nerd Dan Harmon is, I think there's a good chance that Roy and The Inner Light at least share a common inspiration. There's a DS9 episode with a similar premise as well.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Yeah but Sisko got inner lighted to the 1950s where everybody was racist instead.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Instant Sunrise posted:

Yeah but Sisko got inner lighted to the 1950s where everybody was racist instead.

Did he? Or did Benny Russell get inner lighted to a future where a black man could run a space station?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Did he? Or did Benny Russell get inner lighted to a future where a black man could run a space station?

If it wasn't for Shadows and Symbols using the Pah-Wraths to bring the Benny Russell plot back in an awkward hamfisted way that destroyed any ambiguity to Far Beyond The Stars, I would have said it was deliberately ambiguous.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

The 29th Century mobile emitter that Voyager gets is starting to bug me.

We've already found out there's a whole future 29th Century time cop squad that looks for fuckups in the timeline and fixes them so they don't change the future right? They put Voyager back in the Delta Quadrant after Janeway keeps a 1994 Silicon Valley tech bro from destroying the future with 29th Century technology...but then why do they let Voyager keep the mobile emitter.

Maybe they didn't notice and it wasn't that important. Okay maybe, but it has already saved the ship at least once. So shouldn't the 29th Century people notice that, especially given the huge effects Voyager starts having on the galaxy?

The Doctor is the only good character on the show but the concept of walk around holograms corrodes the whole show because you can just replace any old poo poo with holograms, like Neelix' lungs. They should have just made him a flesh and blood dude.

Tom or Harry should have been an alien, because another thing Voyager lacks is good alien cast members. The doctor should have had the everyman human role.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

When a console exploded on the Enterprise-D's bridge, it was almost always the Conn because that's usually where an expendable redshirt sat.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

I still like that show has a Vorta basically say that engineering is Starfleet's biggest strength, and that makes a lot of sense given how Starfleet technology and tactics are portrayed throughout the show. (and the Dominion's biological weapons are its counterpart; having factories that can pump out super-soldiers and clone your key staff is probably a big strength)

I wonder how reliable that cloning really is. Was pacifist Weyoun just a super rare one-in-a-million fuckup? Or is the Dominion's dirty secret that like half the time the clones come out all "whoa this conquest and genocide is really hosed, are we the baddies?" and have to be quietly eliminated.

Same with ketracell white. That one Jem'Hadar who was born not addicted to it didn't find out until he crashed on an uninhabited world and ran out. It would be interesting if the genetic addiction is not as reliable as the Dominion claims, and part of their paranoia about ensuring the supply isn't that they won't have enough to ration and some soldiers will have to die, but that the Jem'Hadar will start finding out just how many of them don't really need it.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

You see, the real ketracel white was *inside you all along.*

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Inescapable Duck posted:

I still like that show has a Vorta basically say that engineering is Starfleet's biggest strength, and that makes a lot of sense given how Starfleet technology and tactics are portrayed throughout the show.

That was Dukat warning Weyoun not to get overconfident against Starfleet.
:goonsay:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lord Hydronium posted:

You see, the real ketracel white was *inside you all along.*

Is ketracel a type of celibacy like incel and volcel?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

VitalSigns posted:

Same with ketracell white. That one Jem'Hadar who was born not addicted to it didn't find out until he crashed on an uninhabited world and ran out. It would be interesting if the genetic addiction is not as reliable as the Dominion claims, and part of their paranoia about ensuring the supply isn't that they won't have enough to ration and some soldiers will have to die, but that the Jem'Hadar will start finding out just how many of them don't really need it.

I really, really like the relationship between the Founders, Vorta, and the Jem'Hadar in general. I love the idea that the Jem'Hadar want to fight for the Founders, but resent following the Vorta even though the Jem'Hadar would be unmanageable without the Vorta acting as administrators. It's not perfect world building or anything, but it's so much better than what Star Trek usually pulls off.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Watching Times Arrow. Extraterrestrials on earth five centuries ago? Is this some ancient aliens poo poo?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

GOD

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching Times Arrow. Extraterrestrials on earth five centuries ago? Is this some ancient aliens poo poo?
Trek quietly accepts some kind of ancient-astronauts poo poo but I don't think it's ever been said that they built Earth stuff, more like they hung out with us and shot the breeze. Lucien's people for instance.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Data's like "it happened, and it will happen" and no one fights that assertion at all

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Nessus posted:

Trek quietly accepts some kind of ancient-astronauts poo poo but I don't think it's ever been said that they built Earth stuff, more like they hung out with us and shot the breeze. Lucien's people for instance.

Apparently it was just a single-celled organism hanging out with us.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Apparently it was just a single-celled organism hanging out with us.
No Satan also hung out with us and Kirk later helped him beat the rap

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm glad they're trying to bend fate and keep Data safe

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Didn't they change the past in Yesterday's Enterprise? Or was that a perfect loop because of the alternate timeline?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Paradoxish posted:

I really, really like the relationship between the Founders, Vorta, and the Jem'Hadar in general. I love the idea that the Jem'Hadar want to fight for the Founders, but resent following the Vorta even though the Jem'Hadar would be unmanageable without the Vorta acting as administrators. It's not perfect world building or anything, but it's so much better than what Star Trek usually pulls off.

One of the best statements of DS9's depth was how even the Jem"Hadar, a race of engineered aliens that have no purpose whatsoever except efficient, remorseless murder, got a decent amount of development and layers written into them.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Da gently caress

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Geordi: "We don't have the thing."
Data: "Yes we do. It is built into my positronic decompiler."

Aw, man

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nessus posted:

That Apollo guy took credit for creating the Greek civilization.

Voyager made it clear that aliens taught Native Americans how to use tools.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

VitalSigns posted:

Voyager made it clear that aliens taught Native Americans how to use tools.

And then different aliens took some Native Americans to another planet where Kirk lost his memory and married one.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Hell yes

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol again

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

:mrwhite:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

All those poker games with the officers are actually gonna prove useful.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This is so good that I retroactively forgive the show for every fakeout cold open that started in the holodeck.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The miner beggar really makes me pine for the post-scarcity future where we've eliminated homelessness and stuff. I wonder if that was the intent

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

*In Clinton campaign voice*

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Worf says all of their remains would be lost five hundred years later if they died too, but what about the communicators

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Time's Arrow is a pretty divisive episode in this thread but it's one of my favorites. Possibly because it's one of the earliest ones I can remember seeing.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I don't see what could be so divisive about it so far, other than the plot holes that inevitably come with every time travel plot ever.

Well, except Homestuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

In the right of the background there is yet another Marc Alaimo role (Dukat)