Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Kaubocks posted:

good news friend, you can bring the switch anywhere

i would like to but I'm running this presentation and the clients might find it a bit insulting if I just zone out at the podium playing switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

iajanus posted:

i would like to but I'm running this presentation and the clients might find it a bit insulting if I just zone out at the podium playing switch

gently caress 'em, they're already dead inside.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

"If you do not buy our game Mario will literally enter our world and take control of you.

Or maybe that happens if you DO buy our game. Maybe you'd be into that. I dunno."

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

iajanus posted:

don't zone out, include them! perfect time to show them your crops

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Viewtiful Jew posted:

"If you do not buy our game Mario will literally enter our world and take control of you.

Or maybe that happens if you DO buy our game. Maybe you'd be into that. I dunno."

Or maybe it's just a fun musical about the game.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Tender Bender posted:

People really really don't want to admit the Switch is a handheld and I'm not sure why.

Because officially it's not

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Or maybe it's just a fun musical about the game.

Correct. This is just all in good fun.

That's not to say there's never been commercials where someone is actually running from the product.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

holy gently caress

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Correct. This is just all in good fun.

That's not to say there's never been commercials where someone is actually running from the product.

And where is that happening in this? There's just street dancing and everyone looking really happy, even the guy who gets captured when Mario throws his hat through his window looks super stoked about being possessed.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

iajanus posted:

Sitting in meetings and am only thinking about watering my parsnips

send help

I'm sitting here with anxiety, remorse and guilt from dying in the mine 2 days ago.

Edit: 2 real human days, not 2 in-game days.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

don't zone out, include them! perfect time to show them your crops

i can't until i get some sort of travel dock to plug into the hdmi projector here

when i do then these fuckers are going to be getting a pretty good lesson on the lifecycle of parsnips and the intricacies of watering cans

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lakbay posted:

It was a certain time period you needed to preorder too so it might have passed

While the original promotion suggested it had to be within a certain time period, that's no longer the case: I just preordered a copy from bestbuy.com and it was pretty explicit that it'd come with the coin (a $20 value!).

I'm going to need a new shelf for all these preorder novelties.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Because officially it's not

How so?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Realtalk, when is the last time Nintendo put this much $/effort into marketing for a Mario game?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the whole wii u era had them scaling their marketing back significantly

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Even nintendo was ashamed of that Fisher Price lookin slate

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The sad part of the WiiU was it was really comfortable to use and a great innovation, but was hamstrung by literally no half-effective marketing. I still love mine but it was always going to be DOA with how they put it forward.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

And where is that happening in this? There's just street dancing and everyone looking really happy, even the guy who gets captured when Mario throws his hat through his window looks super stoked about being possessed.

he literally said the super mario odyssey commercial was all in good fun, jesus do you even read the posts you respond too

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've stated before that I have trouble reading the mood behind a discussion sometimes. Sorry.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

From how it's marketed officially to Nintendo official documents it's not labeled as a portable device but a "home video game console" or a "hybrid console" occasionally but less often

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

5 years from now the Nintendo Switch successor will be running on the A14x chip if you know what I mean

Honestly I'd be stoked if Apple bought Nintendo. But I'm prly gonna feel too old to be playing video games in 5 years.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

From how it's marketed officially to Nintendo official documents it's not labeled as a portable device but a "home video game console" or a "hybrid console" occasionally but less often

OK, and it is a fully functioning handheld. You don't ever need to dock it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
They should make a multiplayer Mario Maker. Little Big Planet got so many laughs from my friends and me.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

[quote="“Tender Bender”" post="“477258331”"]
OK, and it is a fully functioning handheld. You don’t ever need to dock it.
[/quote]

A small minority play exclusively handheld so playing in higher resolutions on a bigger screen is important. For me if it didn't dock I would have bought it, full stop

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

A small minority play exclusively handheld so playing in higher resolutions on a bigger screen is important. For me if it didn't dock I would have bought it, full stop

That's totally fair but it doesn't change the fact that it's a handheld.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The PSP had component cable output and therefore was a console.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

acksplode posted:

I was shocked when Samus Returns was announced, I would've thought 3DS would be in maintenance mode the moment Switch was released.
Samus Returns is a bit of a special case. It's a first-party franchise game made by a third-party developer (Mercury Steam) who pitched the concept a few years ago, probably out of genuine interest but also because they had a game engine tailored to the hardware that they used on an earlier Castlevania title.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tender Bender posted:

OK, and it is a fully functioning handheld. You don't ever need to dock it.

If Nintendo doesn't see it as one then it doesn't really matter considering the discussion at hand.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
This argument is gonna be super lame for the next five to ten years.

Guys it's both. That's the whole gimmick

And of course Nintendo sees it as both, why we getting picross and Pokemon alongside Mario kart 8, Mario Odyssey, and botw??

They merged their portable and console teams a while back iirc

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Because releasing games for your new console is good

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

That's totally fair but it doesn't change the fact that it's a handheld.

Does shoving Amiibos up your rear end make them dildos?

Essentialism arguments are always a waste of time even moreso than other internet debates.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

KingSlime posted:

This argument is gonna be super lame for the next five to ten years.

Guys it's both. That's the whole gimmick

And of course Nintendo sees it as both, why we getting picross and Pokemon alongside Mario kart 8, Mario Odyssey, and botw??

They merged their portable and console teams a while back iirc

I agree. It's a handheld and a console, which is what it's always been marketed as and why their stated intention to combine their software lines isn't a secret lie.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Midjack posted:

Essentialism arguments are always a waste of time even moreso than other internet debates.

It's a loving handheld dude explain how it isn't instead of posting white noise.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

if they ever follow through with the rumored pro dock then making the "not a portable" distinction becomes more pronounced. We can dream!

I'm perfectly fine with dock only AAA titles one day if that's the compromise we have to make

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Picross Kart

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Midjack posted:

if amiibos came with swappable, textured heads of all sorts, were shaped like dicks, and vibrated via batteries yeah that would make them dildos

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Like it's pretty obvious it's a console that can go handheld but it's not the focus.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
how is the portable aspect empashized less than the console aspect?

in other words what aspects signal to the console part the being focus?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

A console... With a battery and a screen, that can be held in your hands, and taken anywhere... But not a handheld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

KingSlime posted:

if amiibos came with swappable, textured heads of all sorts, were shaped like dicks, and vibrated via batteries yeah that would make them dildos

Amiibo gently caress yourself.

(Not directed at anyone in particular)

• Locked thread