Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Melchiresa posted:

Ok, which one of you did this

My [25M] roommate [26M] constantly talks poo poo about my favorite composer Mozart

The comment section is :discourse:

i know the historical inaccuracies have been highlighted but like, that's completely believable for some C-grade liberal arts kids trying to out-nerd each other over dead poo poo nobody else cares about. like the dudes who never do the reading but try debating the professor anyway? y'all never interacted with that particular type of dweeb before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

PetraCore posted:

Zoos are essential organizations for animal preservation and help conserve species and breed them to be reintroduced into the wild, as well as designing enclosures to fit the animals' comforts and needs. Obviously it's still her choice, but disapproving of all zoos everywhere as opposed to low-budget zoos that can't properly care for their animals or zoos that train animals to perform isn't exactly the most logical.

PETA gets a bad rap because of taking things to extremes to the point where it's detrimental to animal welfare, such as with the complete no-go stance on zoos. I admire compassion for animals and I love animals myself, but I don't think an anecdote about one nice, intelligent PETA member outweighs the damage they do to essential animal conservation programs.

they also believe in and engage in mass euthanasia of dogs and cats, to the point where they will literally steal people's pets off their porch to put them down

quote:

The controversy dates to Nov. 5, when Jean Carey, 54, and Jennifer Lisa Woods, 52, of Virginia Beach were arrested and charged with larceny of a dog. Maya's owner Wilbur Cerate said they took his pet Chihuahua from his porch.

A security camera on the property captured footage of the incident.

Maya later was euthanized, and one of the women returned a couple of days later and gave the family a fruit basket by way of apology, Cerate said.

you can't make this poo poo up

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 11, 2017

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

ONE LAST PETA/ZOO COMMENT:

People who argue that it's wrong to keep animals in zoos, even zoos that spend vast amounts of money making sure the animals are in the proper environment and mentally and emotionally stimulated, because it'd be wrong to do the same to a human, are people who vastly misunderstand the differences between human and animal cognition. 'Freedom' is a pretty abstract concept that most animals probably can't grasp and projecting onto them rather than studying animal cognition in an attempt to figure out what a specific animal needs to be happy is a fast track to widespread animal abuse, sadly. That's why PETA's over-anthropomorphizing of animals is actually super dangerous and slips fairly quickly into abuse, such as kidnapping and killing pets because 'death is better than slavery'.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
That being said, there are certainly cases where animals in captivity perform differently or worse than in the wild and that does need to be taken into consideration.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

fruit on the bottom posted:

That being said, there are certainly cases where animals in captivity perform differently or worse than in the wild and that does need to be taken into consideration.

tbh this is like 99% of cases. But animals in captivity perform better than animals dead from loss of habitat in 100% of cases, soooo... good job zoos?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

fruit on the bottom posted:

Yup! For example, it's extremely difficult to properly care for orcas in captivity, due to a combination of three basic things and probably a lot of more subtle things. They're big and wide-ranging, they're social, and they're smart, so they'd need huge enclosures (we're talking HUUUGE), enough room to not only satisfy one orca but satisfy a pod of orcas, and lots of mental stimulation. Wide-ranging animals such as tigers can be kept in enclosures a lot smaller than Siberia because they range so far for hunting and to satisfy their needs, but even they need a pretty good sized enclosure, and orcas are a lot bigger than tigers and need depth to their enclosures as well as width and length. Some places try to satisfy orca needs for socialization by keeping an orca with a pod of dolphins, but that doesn't really work super well.

Anyway this is why captive orcas pretty often engage in self-harm or even kill their handlers, they're basically being kept in solitary confinement, it's not great. SeaWorld sucks and I don't think orcas should be kept in captivity for entertainment purposes, ever, and other purposes would REALLY have to outweigh the psychological damage caused by even the best attempts.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

therobit posted:

I don't agree with PETA, but they get a bad rap from sensationalized reporting. I know someone who works for them and she is sane, smart, and level headed, even if she is a vegan and won't take her kid to he zoo. Really nice person.

You know who else was a vegetarian who loved animals? Adolf Hitler

No, really, he actually really loved animals, a lot more than people. as it turns out, this is a trait that is not unique to good people.

they went so far as to make it illegal to boil crabs and lobsters and sent fishermen to concentration camps

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Straight White Shark posted:

tbh this is like 99% of cases. But animals in captivity perform better than animals dead from loss of habitat in 100% of cases, soooo... good job zoos?
Ehn. Animals in captivity tend to live longer and smaller (and frankly dumber) animals tend to do better, provided we can get their environment good enough. The larger and more intellectually/socially complex an animal is, the less likely it is to thrive in captivity. In cases of emergency preservation of a species it works, but there's lots of cases where it's just for entertainment and the results can be bad.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017

That escalated pretty drat fast

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
it should probably be obvious that i'm being facetious but seriously the presence of one good person in a horrible organization does not make that organization good and just because something sounds good on paper (like PETA or tougher animal rights laws) doesn't mean that's how it operates in practice

it doesn't help that Ingrid Newkirk is a terrible person who would probably gladly open up concentration camps for people if given the opportunity, she certainly has no problem making light of the holocaust on a regular basis

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Mirthless posted:

it should probably be obvious that i'm being facetious but seriously the presence of one good person in a horrible organization does not make that organization good and just because something sounds good on paper (like PETA or tougher animal rights laws) doesn't mean that's how it operates in practice

it doesn't help that Ingrid Newkirk is a terrible person who would probably gladly open up concentration camps for people if given the opportunity, she certainly has no problem making light of the holocaust on a regular basis

Doesn’t she also use animal-based insulin, insisting it’s because of how important to animal welfare she is?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Doesn’t she also use animal-based insulin, insisting it’s because of how important to animal welfare she is?

That's Mary Beth Sweetland.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Avenging_Mikon posted:

it's not her, a couple of members of their board are insulin dependant though

you're right about the rationale, they're opposed to any animal derived products except stuff they need/use/want because they're doing it "for the animals"

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Mirthless posted:

it's not her, a couple of members of their board are insulin dependant though

you're right about the rationale, they're opposed to any animal derived products except stuff they need/use/want because they're doing it "for the animals"
Wait, so they'd be okay with other diabetics dying?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PetraCore posted:

Eh, they probably eat meat or wear leather or have pets or look at deer funny, they don't deserve to live

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

My favorite part of the Pete story is the very end.

quote:

EDIT: OK I KNOW I hosed UP. What should I do?

That can be the default title, for whenever the old one overstays its welcome.

ps.

quote:

He told me that I should look to be with someone who wasn't so abusive.

That's some master level sarcasm right there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure every single other sane animal welfare organisation despises PETA because everything they do is basically actively detrimental to the cause, prioritising attention whore stunts over actual action and solutions, and actively killing pets at every opportunity, sometimes stealing them to do so.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Why not use biosynthetic insulin?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Mirthless posted:

they also believe in and engage in mass euthanasia of dogs and cats, to the point where they will literally steal people's pets off their porch to put them down

you can't make this poo poo up

Hm, don't tag your dog and let it roam free in the neighborhood while you know people are going around collecting stray animals? PETA screwed up here if the dog was chipped, but thats one irresponsible dog owner.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Taking a leather purse that was a gift and damaging it for an instagram photo is top tier shithead behavior. If you are opposed to leather goods for animal rights reasons then sell the purse, that animal is already dead, and donate the money to something you care about. You just reduced demand for leather goods and made a donation in one go. Ripping it and coating it in tar for instagram likes is super childish.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Thumbtacks posted:

can someone repost this story, it's excellent

also, Pete was mentioned earlier and i'm reposting it because it's a beautiful self own

I know it's pages back but I still loving love how she jumps immediately to declaring him abusive so she can do whatever she wants, and he actually does the rational thing and nopes the gently caress out. Also how "I hate ultimatums, they are the tools of abusers" reads like something a parody of a human being would say.

Godspeed, Pete, thanks for everything.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Werong Bustope posted:

Ok this one's long as hell so I'm going to link it but here are the highlights.

Me [30s M] with my friend [30s F] duration, aren't friends anymore due to a miscommunication and I need help fixing this.

tl;dr: Lost a friend do to a misunderstanding and need help moving on/ becoming friends again!

The plot thickens:

quote:

[–]AnonJohn112 [score hidden] 11 hours ago

Why have you reposted my original post?

[–]thefift[S] [score hidden] 11 hours ago

I will never want anything more from you than a friendship

tf are you talking about?

[–]AnonJohn112 [score hidden] 11 hours ago

You have literally ripped this from a post I put on /r/BreakUps. Why have you copypasta'd it here?

[–]thefift[S] [score hidden] 11 hours ago

No I haven't. Why are you trolling on my post? gtfo

You don't even have a post on that sub.

[–]AnonJohn112 [score hidden] 10 hours ago*

Yeah, cos I have just deleted it. You have copied my post, changed several facts to make it look worse and used other information I have posted elsewhere to create the title. The fact this is your only post shows you up.

You are the troll. Make up your own story.

[–]otter_rumpus [score hidden] 8 hours ago

drat this is a new one.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Tiny Bug Child posted:

My [35 F] daughter [12 F] wants to wear an anime-themed Halloween costume. My husband [40 M] and I disagree on if it's appropriate or not.Non-Romantic

I know this one's from a while back but it made me think of a blog link that used to make the rounds in the AUG threads where a person who'd been molested detailed how anime had been used to groom them by making them think the molestation was a normal thing. I can't find the link so for all I know it got pulled, but drat the otaku were in a tizzy over it because it dared to call into question their beloved animes.

Barudak posted:

Dude needs the hell clock i was gifted in college, designed, I assume, by argentian nazi clones. It had a non negotiable 3 senses wake up system consisting of a piercing alarm sound that when you hit snooze went to sleep for a random interval of minutes from 1-7, a light that slowly turned up the light intensity from on to somehow even more on, and wafted out your choice of smells like “moldering rear end” and “currently active house fire”. To turn off this mechanical hell beast you had to push snooze and flip a switch on it simultaneously as, guess what, it had battery backup cells so unplugging it did nothing.

It weighed a good 15 pounds and I remember it didnt even break a little when it got flung from my dorm window by a roomate who couldnt figure out how to turn it off as it grew ever louder and brighter, coating him in its odorous funk.

Or the vintage alarm clock I had in High School. It was one of those with the bells on top ones from the 30s, even had glow in the dark numbers so for all I know it might've been an actual radium clock. But it had the loudest ticking and the alarm was loud enough to be heard through the house. Only way to shut it off was forcing the lever arm on the top to stop the hammer strike and by that time there was no chance of going back to sleep.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

LadyPictureShow posted:

The plot thickens:

they both post exactly the same way, i think this person just likes being the center of drama and is sockpuppeting

C.H.O.M.E posted:

Hm, don't tag your dog and let it roam free in the neighborhood while you know people are going around collecting stray animals? PETA screwed up here if the dog was chipped, but thats one irresponsible dog owner.

lol

if you'd actually read the article the PETA members knew who the dog belonged to as the owner of the house had met with them about some feral cats earlier in the week

apparently they lured the dog off the porch with treats

imagine being this person, the kind of person who would smugly say "GOOD" when they hear somebody stole someone's pet solely to euthanize it

PetraCore posted:

Yes

They genuinely believe that they are the only ones who have the moral standing to use it

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 11, 2017

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
[quote="“Mirthless”" post="“477270212”"]
lol

if you’d actually read the article the PETA members knew who the dog belonged to as the owner of the house had met with them about some feral cats earlier in the week

apparently they lured the dog off the porch with treats

imagine being this person, the kind of person who would smugly say “GOOD” when they hear somebody stole someone’s pet solely to euthanize it

[/quote]

I did read the article, which is how i know that the dog owner knew they were in the neighborhood clearing out stray animals. If you know people are actively looking for stray animals in your neighborhood to euthanize them, you should not let your pet look like a stray, thats insanely irresponsible pet ownership.

I never said "good", but the dog owner showed a remarkable lack of foresight.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
I am not a fan of PETAs tactics, but that guy is a lovely dog owner.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Was there any update to the anime/daughter post? That one was legit scary and made me cringe.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

once a dog leaves its yard and enters greater suburbia, it's guaranteed a slow death from exposure. killing it early is a mercy.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
If it's the Norfolk Zoo your friend who works for PETA won't take her kid too, she's loving dumb and missing out on a great zoo and organization.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

C.H.O.M.E posted:

I did read the article, which is how i know that the dog owner knew they were in the neighborhood clearing out stray animals. If you know people are actively looking for stray animals in your neighborhood to euthanize them, you should not let your pet look like a stray, thats insanely irresponsible pet ownership.

I never said "good", but the dog owner showed a remarkable lack of foresight.

they literally sat on the porch with the owner while the dog was there

way to play devil's advocate for people who knowingly murdered somebody's dog for no reason

btw they were rounding up strays because the strays were attacking cattle, why in the gently caress would they round up a chihuahua?

pretty sure a chihuahua would collapse in a puddle of it's own piss if a cow got anywhere near it. i'm just not seeing a pack of chihuahuas taking down a cow. i mean, i'm seeing it in my head, and that's hilarious, but it's probably not a realistic scenario. these were people with an agenda and that agenda was relieving people of their pets

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 11, 2017

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Does it count if the worst dog bite I ever got was from a chihuahua? Looking back I can kinda laugh at having been around german shepards, dobermans, and pitbulls without a problem, but it's the chihuahua that I get bit and needed stitches from.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Chihuahuas aren't dogs. They're little balls of hate and fear.

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.
[quote="„blarzgh“" post="„477271871“"]
Chihuahuas aren’t dogs. They’re little balls of hate and fear.
[/quote]

They are so superior, that they get carried instead of walking themself. Preferable in a little handbag.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Mirthless posted:

they literally sat on the porch with the owner while the dog was there

way to play devil's advocate for people who knowingly murdered somebody's dog for no reason

btw they were rounding up strays because the strays were attacking cattle, why in the gently caress would they round up a chihuahua?

pretty sure a chihuahua would collapse in a puddle of it's own piss if a cow got anywhere near it. i'm just not seeing a pack of chihuahuas taking down a cow. i mean, i'm seeing it in my head, and that's hilarious, but it's probably not a realistic scenario. these were people with an agenda and that agenda was relieving people of their pets

PETA were there with him 3 weeks ago to remove cats, they easily could have not remembered this was his dog, and the article doesn't even state that the workers who cleared out the cats three weeks earlier were the same workers that took the dog, you just don't know that they knowingly took someones dog to murder it, sorry, not from that article.

Seems to me like if he'd been a responsible dog owner and had a tag or tied up the dog, it would be fine, like his other dogs that weren't taken because they were tied up.

Also, if you think small dogs cant be aggressive because they're small, thats just wrong. No dog "took down" any cow, but the udders were bitten, which sounds exactly like something a small dog thats not contained or tied up could easily do.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Just stop, C.H.O.M.E

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

C.H.O.M.E posted:

PETA were there with him 3 weeks ago to remove cats, they easily could have not remembered this was his dog, and the article doesn't even state that the workers who cleared out the cats three weeks earlier were the same workers that took the dog, you just don't know that they knowingly took someones dog to murder it, sorry, not from that article.

Seems to me like if he'd been a responsible dog owner and had a tag or tied up the dog, it would be fine, like his other dogs that weren't taken because they were tied up.

Also, if you think small dogs cant be aggressive because they're small, thats just wrong. No dog "took down" any cow, but the udders were bitten, which sounds exactly like something a small dog thats not contained or tied up could easily do.

you are Mirthlessing harder than i have ever Mirthlessed in this thread and i'm Mirthless

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
itt i learned that the people that took a dog, euthenised it and then apologised to the owner with flowers are not the bad people

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fil5000 posted:

itt i learned that the people that took a dog, euthenised it and then apologised to the owner with flowers are not the bad people

it was a fruit basket

they were makin' it right, because Jesus wants them to have a clean slate

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 11, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Ham Sandwiches posted:

This is amazing I just searched on Amazon and seems like some real poo poo running around the room swearing chasing an alarm that is literally fleeing from you first thing in the morning

I guess it lets you start the day with no illusions

There are also flying alarm clocks, it has really low reviews, I have yet to read them, but I am hoping some of the zero/1 stars are "This thing chopped off my finger when I attempted to turn it off"

https://www.amazon.com/Northwest-80...0_&dpSrc=detail

*edit* sadly the thing is just a piece of poo poo apparently, breaks easily, doesn't fly/alarm, this is the most disappointed I've been with regards to amazon reviews, ever.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Mirthless posted:

Yeah I just want to add that my sister worked for PETA, did several protests, and was in one of their stupid strip videos (which we heard about from friends after they saw it on late night TV). She's a good person, she doesn't shove her veganism in people's faces, doesn't make faces when we eat meat in front of her, doesn't mind zoos, but even she is still a moron when it comes to PETA despite having worked for them. This is literally the only argument she and I still get into, about whether or not they do any good. These days I don't bother to fight her on it because it's not worth the hassle. She was even working for them during that whole van full of dead animals fiasco.

In short PETA is horrible and they exploit young women. You can make your lovely message heard without telling girls they need to strip to their underwear in public.

EDIT: Oh god I forgot that there was a thread about her here when it happened. Holy gently caress it was so hard not to post in that thread.