Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I think it's weird they seem to be doing the same thing with Helga as they did in the theatrical movie. Like we already had the scene of her confessing her love to Arnold, and it ended the best way. With Helga trying to play it off like she didn't mean it and it was some heat of the moment thing and Arnold, fully aware that's some bullshit, letting Helga totally off the hook.

Something about the trailer just isn't doing it for me at all (same with the preview clip they showed) and I can't really pinpoint why

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Cuphead is one of those games I love to watch get played, but I would hate playing myself. Because drat the animation is gorgeous, but I do not have the skills to enjoy it on my own.

But if you've got better twitch reflexes then me and think you might enjoy things like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJYCsI81uhQ and this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff6PO8MA3Yg you should totally check it out.

I beat Cuphead, and every time I watch videos of most of the fights I'm like "how the gently caress did I mange to do that"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Macaluso posted:

Something about the trailer just isn't doing it for me at all (same with the preview clip they showed) and I can't really pinpoint why

It's that the animation is bad. It's like comparing modern Simpsons to classic Simpsons.

Also, it's a lame idea

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I got a free ticket from the Alamo for my birthday. What mediocrity should I see, Ninjago or ponies?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

See Blade Runner.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Jesus, just heard about that Rick and Morty dipping sauce fiasco, and some people wonder why non-fans think the R&M fandom is Homestuck-level stupid.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Waffleman_ posted:

See Blade Runner.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I don't read the Laser Time website but I do listen to a few of their podcasts and you've been a great addition to the team.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I noticed that Disney's been putting out a few 4K Blu-Rays lately - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and the new Pirates of the Caribbean were the two I spotted. Given that, how long until 4K Disney Animated Canon films?

I mean, I'm expecting the answer is "several years still", because Disney is slow to adopt these things (and AFAIK 4K adoption rate isn't that high ATM anyway), but hell, I'd buy another copy of Zootopia for 4K.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sinners Sandwich posted:

It's really weird to google that and see all the trending clickbait websites

Edit: I'm not the person who made the photoshop or idea this is just me speaking as the entire thread

You realize the origin of that idea and the photoshop mockup is from this very thread, right?

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 9, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shadow Hog posted:

I'd buy another copy of Zootopia for 4K.

Sounds overpriced to me. :rimshot:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Sounds overpriced to me. :rimshot:
:doh:

teagone posted:

You realize the origin of that idea and the photoshop mockup is from this very thread, right?
Considering the context of the post was about goon projects: yeah, they probably did.

Still pretty impressive the thread came out with that.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

I don't read the Laser Time website but I do listen to a few of their podcasts and you've been a great addition to the team.

Thank you so much! Wow, I didn't expect to bump into a listener here.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Shadow Hog posted:

Considering the context of the post was about goon projects: yeah, they probably did.

Still pretty impressive the thread came out with that.

It was all Drifter. I just smashed images together in photoshop based on his tagline and everyone in the r/movies subreddit ate it up.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
RIP this film for no particular reason I guess.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/disney-shelves-jack-beanstalk-film-gigantic-1047482

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Awwwww, I wanted to see that one....

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Huh, so that's what happened to it - I remember hearing about the project, and just forgot about it.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
It's hard to be bummed about a project being cancelled when we knew next to nothing about it to begin with.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Well now that cameo in Zootopia is WASTED!!!

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I'm not surprised considering that its been pushed back a few times since its announcement. Now we get to guess what sequel/spinoff they're going to hastily push into production. I think it will be the Porg movie, with an Olaf short attached to it.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

This the first time since, what was it? that Elves project in 2010 they shelved a WDAS production?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
There was also the Pixar movie about newts that had too similar a plot to Rio.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

From what I heard, they also had to shelve what had been their next planned 2D animated film after Winnie the Pooh (2011). That is, John Lasseter had planned to alternate the Disney Animated Canon CG films and traditional 2D ones for a while, not just give the latter a final hurrah with Princess and the Frog and Pooh and otherwise go all-in on the former like everyone else.

The rub is, that planned film was a traditionally-animated adaptation of Discworld novel Mort, but the rights to it fell through - either due to the asking price, or on account of a live-action adaptation of The Colour of Magic, or something. The 2D unit didn't really recover from that, hence why we're where we are.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I'm curious what kind of pitfalls they'd hit doing a Jack and the Beanstalk adaptation. I mean, it's a pretty straightforward fairy tale that's been done a fair bit already, even by Disney themselves. I guess they're finding all their ideas are things other people have already done? But I dunno why that would make them back down from doing it.

It's a pity that now we have no idea what the next original Disney movie that's not a sequel is gonna be.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

No Disney Jack and the Beanstalk will top the one where Donald goes absolutely nuts starving

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm curious what kind of pitfalls they'd hit doing a Jack and the Beanstalk adaptation. I mean, it's a pretty straightforward fairy tale that's been done a fair bit already, even by Disney themselves. I guess they're finding all their ideas are things other people have already done? But I dunno why that would make them back down from doing it.

It's a pity that now we have no idea what the next original Disney movie that's not a sequel is gonna be.

It was "an updated take" in which Jack befriends a female giant, so presumably would be very different than the traditional story. It's a shame it didn't work out considering the talent attached to it.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Between Bee Movie and Monsters vs Aliens Dreamworks has already cornered the market on giantess fetishism.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Shadow Hog posted:

From what I heard, they also had to shelve what had been their next planned 2D animated film after Winnie the Pooh (2011). That is, John Lasseter had planned to alternate the Disney Animated Canon CG films and traditional 2D ones for a while, not just give the latter a final hurrah with Princess and the Frog and Pooh and otherwise go all-in on the former like everyone else.

The rub is, that planned film was a traditionally-animated adaptation of Discworld novel Mort, but the rights to it fell through - either due to the asking price, or on account of a live-action adaptation of The Colour of Magic, or something. The 2D unit didn't really recover from that, hence why we're where we are.

That's a darn shame because an animated version of Mort would be amazing.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Pixeltendo posted:

No Disney Jack and the Beanstalk will top the one where Donald goes absolutely nuts starving

Unfortunately, Fun and Fancy Free is a slog getting to that and then also never really surpasses that peak.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Moon Atari posted:

Between Bee Movie and Monsters vs Aliens Dreamworks has already cornered the market on giantess fetishism.

I wonder if this might be the real reason they canned Gigantic- they had a bad enough time with Zootopia and furries, and an almost exact repeat of that clusterfuck but with an even weirder fetish doesn't sound like something they'd be into.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I wonder if this might be the real reason they canned Gigantic- they had a bad enough time with Zootopia and furries, and an almost exact repeat of that clusterfuck but with an even weirder fetish doesn't sound like something they'd be into.

No it's not, stop being weird

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I haven't seen anyone freak out about zooptopia other than this thread freaking out over the possibility of imaginary people freaking out tbh.

Someone called it the least talked about movie to make 1 billion dollars and that's about right.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Considering the huge story shift that happened in Zootopia and the fact that historically Disney is willing to scrap a ton of work and still go ahead on the project they feel confident with, I'm willing to bet they were just realizing everything they had to work with just wasn't coming together into something they could be happy with.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

K. Waste posted:

Unfortunately, Fun and Fancy Free is a slog getting to that and then also never really surpasses that peak.

Oh, that's right. There's the whole domestic abuse cartoon bears segment before that, isn't there?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Schwarzwald posted:

Oh, that's right. There's the whole domestic abuse cartoon bears segment before that, isn't there?

Yeah, "Bongo," though it's not domestic violence, just a mild kink. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8WlTWnMEsE

lyrics posted:

You can ask any bear, oh, there's nothin' to compare
With a love tap strong or weak
So if you're ready for romance
And you ever get the chance
Grab your girl
Give her your cheek

Eventually, though, it gets into a whole hillbilly Aristocrats scenario

lyrics posted:

Grab your bears and swing 'em wide
Shake their fur and scratch their hide
Give her a slap, give her a cuff
Go 'round that floor and strut your stuff
He slapped her once and he missed her jaw
And he wound up smackin' his mother-in-law
Now here comes grandpa gettin' in line
And here comes baby bear behind

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

mycot posted:

Someone called it the least talked about movie to make 1 billion dollars and that's about right.

Probably because the Disney merchandising machine never really revved up into high gear for that movie or really any movie since Frozen took over entire aisles of Target. For as good and well liked that Zootopia was, it never had a radio hit (though it tried really, really hard to have one)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Disney's Mort? Christ, I'm excited and terrified at the thought of that.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
They wanted a giant princess but couldn't figure out a way to scale her down for merchandising with other princesses that wouldn't defeat the purpose of having a giant princess in the first place.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Disney's Mort? Christ, I'm excited and terrified at the thought of that.

I was actually just thinking about the adaptability of the Discworld books and Mort actually kind of makes sense. Its a standalone outside the other long-running arcs, it isn't really set in Ankh-Morpork, and it has a pretty tight cast and locations.
Plus its about saving a princess! Its a classic storyline right in Disney's wheelhouse.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
And it's Pratchett, so it's not like they can make it any worse by adapting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I took one look, heard the words "Well, my little Bro-" and paused the video on the spot.

Is this actually going to be what it sounds like, or should I continue?