Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Data having to pretend he injured himself picking up the anvil is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Time's Arrow is a pretty divisive episode in this thread but it's one of my favorites. Possibly because it's one of the earliest ones I can remember seeing.

Lots of hate itt, but I love every stupid second of it. LOVE IT yeeeeahhaheh

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I don't see what could be so divisive about it so far, other than the plot holes that inevitably come with every time travel plot ever.

Well, except Homestuck.

Oh just you wait
:munch:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

:psyduck:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

:psypop:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I don't see what could be so divisive about it so far, other than the plot holes that inevitably come with every time travel plot ever.

I don't understand why people dislike it either, it's a fun absurd episode.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh I get what Guinan said to Picard now.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This episode is strong evidence that Whoopi Goldberg actually is Guinan.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol Mark Twain heard them talking about being aliens, this is completely insane

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't understand why people dislike it either, it's a fun absurd episode.

Too long, with a deeply annoying guest star. Far from the worst side of TNG, you can't go too wrong with Data and Guinan, but it's not one I love to watch.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It's cool to see the chamber Data meticulously described even if the aliens don't look like he said

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

Too long, with a deeply annoying guest star.

gently caress that. Deep Throat did a fantastic Twain.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Some of the impact is lost from the (by modern standards) bad effects but that's still a nightmarish situation.

drat I'm excited for the next episode.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I actually like Time's Arrow better than Descent. Even though the latter resolves the Lore arc, the "evil Data" thing is pretty dumb.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 season 6, episode 18 "Inquisition"

Well, here we go, Section 31. Interesting juxtaposition in that the next episode is "In the Pale Moonlight." Sloan bad, Sisko good? Nice question.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

VitalSigns posted:

This episode is strong evidence that Whoopi Goldberg actually is Guinan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hra0I-w3XBY

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Time's Arrow's not particularly deep, but it's a lot of fun. It's got a bit of a Doctor Who vibe to it, only, you know, not complete rubbish.

It's kinda funny, given how often Trek does time travel, that it's actually pretty rare for them to do episodes in our past - it's almost either contemporary Earth or our future.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Angry Salami posted:

Time's Arrow's not particularly deep, but it's a lot of fun. It's got a bit of a Doctor Who vibe to it, only, you know, not complete rubbish.

It's kinda funny, given how often Trek does time travel, that it's actually pretty rare for them to do episodes in our past - it's almost either contemporary Earth or our future.
Probably because of the decline in large period pieces being done by Paramount for them to borrow poo poo from. If there had been a shitload of quasi-medieval-European things being filmed in the mid-60s, Kirk and Spock would have absolutely gone to Camelot.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Paramount wasn't involved with Trek until around mid-season 2 of TOS. Before that it was a wholly Desilu production - the studio whose special effects prior to Star Trek consisted of turning Lucille Ball's hair red each week.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Paramount wasn't involved with Trek until around mid-season 2 of TOS. Before that it was a wholly Desilu production - the studio whose special effects prior to Star Trek consisted of turning Lucille Ball's hair red each week.
Well they had some kind of deal going on, considering part of the pitch for TOS was that they could shoot episodes using existing costumes and sets due to some doubletalk or other, saving on money.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Shame on you, Mr. Clemens.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nessus posted:

Well they had some kind of deal going on, considering part of the pitch for TOS was that they could shoot episodes using existing costumes and sets due to some doubletalk or other, saving on money.

It's still a hell of a lot cheaper to rent an existing prop or a costume from a shop or other studio than it is to have it custom-built.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Desilu owned the RKO 40 Acres backlot, that was the original place they went for reused sets.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Good question. Considering how big a nerd Dan Harmon is, I think there's a good chance that Roy and The Inner Light at least share a common inspiration. There's a DS9 episode with a similar premise as well.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Yeah but Sisko got inner lighted to the 1950s where everybody was racist instead.

I actually assumed that was referring to "Hard Time", where O'Brien gets Inner Lighted but it's a horrific alien punishment instead of an overenthusiastic alien historical document. Because O'Brien Must Suffer.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I can't really fault Time's Arrow too much, since I loved it as a kid and it spurred me to read Twain novels that weren't just Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer. I had a serious Mark Twain phase, I even made a ridiculous wig out of cotton balls and went as him for my Living Museum thing in grade school.

All thanks to 90 minutes of snorts and guffaws from a terrible impression.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

the train impersonator is the big problem with the episode

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Sir Lemming posted:

I actually assumed that was referring to "Hard Time", where O'Brien gets Inner Lighted but it's a horrific alien punishment instead of an overenthusiastic alien historical document. Because O'Brien Must Suffer.

That's exactly the episode I was referring to.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I appreciate that O'Brien episode just because it's one of the few times we see a character struggle with PTSD after a horrific experience (and in fact that's the focus of the plot) instead of the consequences getting a brief nod at the end of the episode if even that and then it's all smiles again next week.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I can't hear all this talk of "Inner Lighted" without picturing it delivered like the "Schism'd" gag from The Greatest Generation.

"You just got Inner Lighted!"
*intro to "Colors"*

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

CPColin posted:

Shame on you, Mr. Clemens.

https://youtu.be/RNTRLPx7IuQ

Shame, indeed.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

skasion posted:

Too long, with a deeply annoying guest star. Far from the worst side of TNG, you can't go too wrong with Data and Guinan, but it's not one I love to watch.

That guy performed at my grade school a few years after this ep so he seemed perfectly normal to me.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 11, 2017

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Bah you beat me, I was gonna post that, Im too slow

Actually I was gonna post dis one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uIxSwvmWVM

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 11, 2017

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Grand Fromage posted:

Time's Arrow is a pretty divisive episode in this thread but it's one of my favorites. Possibly because it's one of the earliest ones I can remember seeing.

The earliest Star Trek thing I remember seeing was Rascals. Good thing I was a dumb kid who enjoyed the setting enough to not notice the plot.

Now I'm a dumb adult who likes Discovery instead :haw:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Apparently I watched TNG as it was airing since I was a newborn, but the earliest episode I can remember catching first-run was Conundrum. MacDuff-alien getting phasered scared the poo poo out of little me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The bit at the end where the young guy at the hotel announces that he's going to Alaska because he feels the call of the wild then says, "Oh, by the way, I'm Jack London," (disclaimer: I might be paraphrasing slightly) isn't bad but it was a bit of a groaner.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Gammatron 64 posted:

Bah you beat me, I was gonna post that, Im too slow

Actually I was gonna post dis one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uIxSwvmWVM

Haha, that’s the one I thought I was posting! drat hurried phone postin’.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cat Hatter posted:

Now I'm a dumb adult who likes Discovery instead :haw:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Hey now, that's harsh. Being an adult who likes Discovery is perfectly understandable if you lived under a rock and never saw Star Trek before

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Hey now, that's harsh. Being an adult who likes Discovery is perfectly understandable if you lived under a rock and never saw Star Trek before

:jerkbag:

I like Discovery, even if 70% of it is pretty half-baked and stupid. Still better than Voyager and early Enterprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:jerkbag:

I like Discovery, even if 70% of it is pretty half-baked and stupid. Still better than Voyager and early Enterprise.

same but at least 80% and two :jerkbag::jerkbag:s