Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Still loving my Gear S3, just wish more people would develop for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
The windows phone of smart watches.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I see way more Samsung Gear smartwatches in the wild than I do Android Wear, to be fair

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

I see way more Samsung Gear smartwatches in the wild than I do Android Wear, to be fair

Same.

(though, I see like 10x more Apple Watches than those two combined.)

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
You also see way more Samsung phones than any other manufacturer. Ubiquity doesn't necessarily imply quality, though. I'd attribute the large number of Gear watches to people thinking that having two devices by the same manufacturer means better inter-op, rather than specifically seeking out the watches because of some feature they provide or do better than the alternatives.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

G-Prime posted:

You also see way more Samsung phones than any other manufacturer. Ubiquity doesn't necessarily imply quality, though. I'd attribute the large number of Gear watches to people thinking that having two devices by the same manufacturer means better inter-op, rather than specifically seeking out the watches because of some feature they provide or do better than the alternatives.

No, but while we can neckbeard and sperg about it as much as we want, Samsung will continue to dominate the market.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Still loving my Gear S3, just wish more people would develop for it.
Am happy with my Gear S2 for 99. Nice to have a watch that tells me things again (& how tech has improved since my Moto 360 v1).

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

withoutclass posted:

The windows phone of smart watches.

At least it does more than Android Wear 2.0 :shrug:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

I really really liked Windows Phone. It still died a sad death because nobody could justify the cost of building/maintaining an app for the platform.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

How is that possible? I mean, the app situation is not great on Wear, but surely it's far better than what you can get on Tizen?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Misfit Vapor is now a thing you can pre-order for $200.

https://misfit.com/products/misfit-vapor

Android Wear 2.0
Snapdragon Wear 2100 processor
4GB of storage
44mm wide
1.39" AMOLED display, with ambient light sensor
Bluetooth
WiFi
accelerometer
altimeter
gyroscope
heart rate sensor
microphone
water resistance up to 50m
touch-sensitive bezel

The color choices (left-right) are:
Gold tone / Desert strap
Rose tone / Nude strap
Stainless steel / Black strap
Jet black / Black strap
Rose tone / Midnight Blue strap

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It's so close to what I want. It's just missing GPS and it'd be perfect.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

thicc af

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Those look nice

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It is thicc, but not as bad as some other entries such as the ZTE Quartz.

I appreciate that the bezel is un-adorned, and am really interested in reports of how useful it is to be touch sensitive.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Except for the lugs it reminds me of an OG Moto360. That's a good thing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The two hands-on I read today said isn't actually running Android Wear but some custom thing instead. I'm confused.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Tunga posted:

The two hands-on I read today said isn't actually running Android Wear but some custom thing instead. I'm confused.

They originally showed it at a consumer electronics show saying they would use a custom OS but then they delayed the release while they got Wear running on it. Any review or hands-on that doesn't mention Wear is obsolete.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Thermopyle posted:

Except for the lugs it reminds me of an OG Moto360. That's a good thing.

Giant bezels are better than a flat tire I guess.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My zenwatch 3 died. Like, was charged and working on my wrist, I toggled theatre mode for something, then it never came back on. Nothing happens on the charger, any button, nothing. Didn't even last a year. Think I'm done with smartwatches for now :(

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Does connected GPS mean it uses the phone's GPS?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

That's what I'm assuming.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Lowen SoDium posted:

Yes.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'm fine with that as anytime i've seen GPS used on a smartwatch it drains the battery super-quick.

I can see it being a problem if you're a runner and don't want to take your phone, though. (I run with my phone and it doesn't bother me which means, of course, that it shouldn't bother anyone)

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

My zenwatch 3 died. Like, was charged and working on my wrist, I toggled theatre mode for something, then it never came back on. Nothing happens on the charger, any button, nothing. Didn't even last a year. Think I'm done with smartwatches for now :(

My ZW3 hasn't died (yet) but I've quit wearing it or any of my other smartwatches. That watch was 97% perfect and awesome but those last 3% (dreadfully slow, short battery life, inconsistent behavior) finally wore me down enough to make me just give up on it.

I now have a couple of dorky casio/timex dad-style digitals that never need recharging and always show time/day/date without forcing me to wait 2-3 seconds for it to maybe display the time.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Is there any greater crime than a digital watch

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Blue Train posted:

Is there any greater crime than a digital watch

You take that back!

I'll gladly admit that in non-sport contexts analog watches look better, but digital watches are without a doubt more useful. That's why smartwatches are awesome, one with a round display can look like an analog watch until you need to actually get information from it at which point it can display digital readouts or even analog-ish complications which are more readable than what would be physically possible to achieve in a real analog watch.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

For what it's worth, my 360/2 still works fine (poor software UI aside) but I'm pretty sure the battery meter isn't correct anymore, if it ever was. It's enough to make it through one day with 60% left but that 60% isn't enough to make it half way through a second day. With Wear 2.0 as terrible as it is, I have no intention of replacing it once it dies but I will say that day I had without it available I definitely missed having notifications on my wrist.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I'm having the same issue with the battery meter lately. It's fine if I charge it once a day, but it seems like it shuts off at like 40% anymore. I can still get a full day out of it, but if I don't charge it every night, it's dead by the next day (but reports like 47% when it first boots after changing a bit.)

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I have the same issues, except mine shuts off at about 70-75%. Some days it can last all day and other days it'll shut off halfway through the day.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I was quite surprised that my watch was taken off the charger at 7pm, was briefly put on the charger at 7am and was removed at an indicated 93% was completely dead by 7pm the next day.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Android Authority editorial: Dear Google, When are you going to fix Android Wear?

https://www.androidauthority.com/fix-android-wear-809823/

Meanwhile, in Tizen land:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMmLdYBvEVg

"Android Wear is on more wrists, but the software is kind of a dog." "If there's one area where Samsung really kills it in wearables, it's the interface [at 2:02]"

Google, you are being beaten on Software Interface by SAMSUNG. You think about that, Google. You go into a corner and think about what you've done.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I think this video review is bad.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like one of the most, maybe even the most important features of a smartwatch is how it handles notifications.

Am I wrong?

also, paying with your watch with nfc just looks awkward. That bending your wrist around...

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 30, 2017

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Samsung pay is pretty awesome since it works on any magnetic stripe reader.

I don't think I've ever had it not work on my watch or phone.

Also, the Gear S3 is still awesome, all I need now is the Bixby update and I'd be more than satisfied.

Also for people to design clean looking digital watchfaces that give me customizeable info. Almost every watchface on the Gear store is some godawful color and word salad.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Samsung pay is pretty awesome since it works on any magnetic stripe reader.

Not on the Gear Sport...it just does NFC.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like one of the most, maybe even the most important features of a smartwatch is how it handles notifications.

Am I wrong?

Android Police in their review specifically mentions how much better at notifications it is than Wear 2.0 but doesn't mention if it has some kind of peek card-style thing for viewing a notification at a glance.

I'm with you though, the only thing I bought a smartwatch to do is inform me of notifications and it pisses me off to no end that that's the functionality Google chose to remove.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Not on the Gear Sport...it just does NFC.

Well that's disappointing. Nothing wrong with my S3 Frontier, and after a year it's help up better than my Moto 360 did in a year.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Just got a sudden update on my hwatch 1, first time it updated itself when not in the charging cradle. No changelog, patch level october 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SlowBloke posted:

Just got a sudden update on my hwatch 1, first time it updated itself when not in the charging cradle. No changelog, patch level october 2017

Funny that, just as I'm reading this I look down and see a ring with a progress bar on mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

I got this too yesterday and now my watch fails to show any notifications at all. I even reset the watch entirely and they worked for about a day and i'm back to no notifications.

Lovely.

When I play music the control for that come up on my watch so it's clearly still connected.