Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Star Cruiser 2 is cool but I got lost and spent all my money, now I am stranded on Venus forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Speaking of space games, I am now at the part of Heat Signature where I have internalized the loop and am hammering through missions at a rapid clip, having quickly realized that individual characters may be lost because I keep slamming into the sides of ships at high speed to blow people up and thus dying in the process or because I am doing suicide runs into crowds of guards, but as long as I keep the pace up the liberation war will continue to make progress. Game still owns

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All SC2s were pretty good games, it's definitely the most blessed of acronyms.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

All SC2s were pretty good games, it's definitely the most blessed of acronyms.

And so the wait for Star Citizen 2 begins.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

al-azad posted:

*Looks at Switch*

No, still can't play Parasite Eve or Xenogears on my PS4, I don't know why Square is bothering with Star Ocean before those.
Xenogears will never get the rights to a port. It can't even get full mention in World of Final Fantasy. I don't think you can even rely on emulation entirely because one of the final bosses crash the emulator and a suggestion was letting it play from the disc. I think save state abuse fixes it, but the game has other emulation issues.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's a boss that crashes emulators but i played past it and it's also really easy to exploit it so that you can beat it before that happens. iirc it's the one that halves everyone's hp every turn so literally you just wait until it's halved its own hp enough to kill it in one hit and it won't be able to use that attack

apparently that's also just an issue with epsxe which is kind of a really lovely and outdated emu so if you play through it in beetle psx in retroarch you shouldn't have any issues at all

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 11, 2017

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So what's the full story with the whole Hat in Time doxxing thing? Game looks real good, but I'm getting conflicting reports on what went down.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Lizard Wizard posted:

So what's the full story with the whole Hat in Time doxxing thing? Game looks real good, but I'm getting conflicting reports on what went down.

wait what the gently caress

the drama i was aware of was that jontron is still in the game as an avoidable side character and the lead dev has a pretty lovely history from everything he's done pre-2007, is this a new thing

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Here's an article about budgets in video games. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-10-10-rising-game-dev-costs-put-squeeze-on-mid-tier-studios

Thanks ok!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/fivepaninis/status/918172604917096448

very important information

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

tactics ogre advance?

I take it all back, you're an alright poster

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I honestly don't know how Larian gets away with selling Original Sin 2 for $45 because the production values and quality of voicework far surpass any other CRPG to date, and PC is the only platform it's on right now.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

there's a boss that crashes emulators but i played past it and it's also really easy to exploit it so that you can beat it before that happens. iirc it's the one that halves everyone's hp every turn so literally you just wait until it's halved its own hp enough to kill it in one hit and it won't be able to use that attack

Is that not how you're supposed to fight that boss?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phantasium posted:

Is that not how you're supposed to fight that boss?

i just remember stuff saying that you can't attack it earlier than that or it uses an attack that crashes the game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

lmao

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i just remember stuff saying that you can't attack it earlier than that or it uses an attack that crashes the game

I think it just heals it to full anyway with that counter, so you need to do that anyway.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway if you're worried about crashing in xenogears just use a more recent emulator, epsxe's been the standard just because there's not anything quite as easy to set up and use but it has lots of issues with games as the dev has moved more towards adding miscellaneous features than actually improving emulation accuracy so the only thing i'd say is worth using it for is the few ps1 games that use a light gun or a mouse. mednafen and beetle are more demanding but if you have a good cpu beetle even does upscaling better than epsxe

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Awesome lmao

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The Colonel posted:

wait what the gently caress

the drama i was aware of was that jontron is still in the game as an avoidable side character and the lead dev has a pretty lovely history from everything he's done pre-2007, is this a new thing

I wish I could provide more details atm, but all google turns up is a pro-GG subreddit roundly dismissing the thing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

I wish I could provide more details atm, but all google turns up is a pro-GG subreddit roundly dismissing the thing.

The answer is it's all vague rumors about stuff from 10+ years ago so who cares just play video games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Scalding Coffee posted:

Xenogears will never get the rights to a port. It can't even get full mention in World of Final Fantasy. I don't think you can even rely on emulation entirely because one of the final bosses crash the emulator and a suggestion was letting it play from the disc. I think save state abuse fixes it, but the game has other emulation issues.

You can just buy it on PSN and play it on your PS3 or Vita(lol)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I honestly don't know how Larian gets away with selling Original Sin 2 for $45 because the production values and quality of voicework far surpass any other CRPG to date, and PC is the only platform it's on right now.

Probably government kickbacks ontop of contract work. It's how Uwe Bol brought us so many great films.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Digirat posted:

If it's broken in the same way as the bloodborne thread was then it's just people making blind posts in it for reasons unclear, and I would suggest making a new thread

The MGSV thread having a missing last page fits the game pretty well

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

al-azad posted:

Probably government kickbacks ontop of contract work. It's how Uwe Bol brought us so many great films.

That and Belgium probably has a lower cost of living than a lot of other places video games are made.

tap my mountain posted:

Only if the last 10 existing pages are just quotes of 10 other random pages from earlier

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

on page 43 videogames slowly walked through the thread and surgically banned every poster while they posted the salute emote, kinda hosed up

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Giant Bomb quicklooks are great because they actually show you what gameplay is like, not just snippets or vague text descriptions. They're also funny sometimes too.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What happened in the MGS thread? Sounds juicy

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It just broke, like a lot of threads lately.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Digirat posted:

If it's broken in the same way as the bloodborne thread was then it's just people making blind posts in it for reasons unclear, and I would suggest making a new thread

The bloodborne thread had it too, and it got unstuck by people doing that so hey of it relieves The Phantom Pain then it works.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

homeless snail posted:

on page 43 videogames slowly walked through the thread and surgically banned every poster while they posted the salute emote, kinda hosed up

I knew we should have quarantined all the posters from the Congo thread

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

exquisite tea posted:

Although they get government support, public funding, and research grants, Larian's labor costs are high and the local talent pool is tiny in Belgium. It's part of the reason they opened an office in Quebec with the Canadian government's help.

It's still impressive what they've been able to pull off with a relatively small team. Out of the recent Kickstarter CRPGs, Larian has had the most critical and commercial success.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Something happened to the forum database that was for some reason centered on zen death robot's account (he's not in trouble or anything, the server just decided to hate him in particular) so threads he had a lot of posts in started malfunctioning.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

tap my mountain posted:

The Phantom Page

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CJacobs posted:

The bloodborne thread had it too, and it got unstuck by people doing that so hey of it relieves The Phantom Pain then it works.

didn't it only stay unstuck for one page before it broke again

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You have not consumed sufficient insight to view the posts in the Bloodborne thread.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Phantom Page

Kaz, i'm already a daemon.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Reality Winner posted:

Giant Bomb quicklooks are great because they actually show you what gameplay is like, not just snippets or vague text descriptions. They're also funny sometimes too.

The Yooka Laylee quicklook is art.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

You could just watch some gameplay videos on your own and prepare your wallet if you like what you see. Have you read an actually good game review in the past like 5 years, I'm confident they don't exist

Jim Sterling has done a few good ones in that timespan.

His latest video is pretty stupid though ("The myth of the $60 game").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

precision posted:

Jim Sterling has done a few good ones in that timespan.

His latest video is pretty stupid though ("The myth of the $60 game").

Funnily enough just today he announced he’s going to totally stop making reviews

• Locked thread