Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What is the canonical list of movies where people fight by throwing each other through walls? There's Blade Runner and this, the Terminator films and the two Hyams Universal Soldier films. There must be more.

If the first Blade Runner counts then RoboCop 1 and Iron Man 1 also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Steve Yun posted:

Diegetic reason: trailer homes are small and there's not much room to fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPnv2NXMx8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xkoAGoOQi4
Daily Double Bonus: Kill Bill 2's trailer fight is not only an homage to Raising Arizona, it's also an homage to Blade Runner

You could also say the secondary diegetic reason is that Raising Arizona is a live-action cartoon. This makes me want to include at least one of the Bourne movies (Jason Bourne is an android).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nail Rat posted:

I don't really see why replicants being able to reproduce will result in more slave labor faster. I mean yeah, there's not as much effort on Wallace's part, but a child needs to eat, be protected, taught, etc. It's almost certainly way less efficient.

A better plot reason for Wallace's involvement should've been wanting the child killed to maintain his control on the replicant population IMO. Let them reproduce and you don't know how many there are or who they are.
The way images of women and femininity are treated in this society, it's possible that Wallace is looking toward another social transformation in which replicants will be integrated into society as concubines. This was a major element of the Armitage the 3rd anime.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Halloween Jack posted:

The way images of women and femininity are treated in this society, it's possible that Wallace is looking toward another social transformation in which replicants will be integrated into society as concubines. This was a major element of the Armitage the 3rd anime.

The scary, lightless termite towers looming above the smog were a good departure from the neo-Babylon of the original, because the insectoid theme is reinforced by a lot of other stuff in the film, like all the debatably quasihuman new replicants sharing a common mother (and implied to have "racial memory"), farming grubs, vast amounts of space reclaimed by geometric patterns, workers all being similar looking scavengers, the capitalist villain possessing alternative sense organs, etc.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Probably not actually a deliberate ref but seeing K with his jacket buttoned up reminds me a lot of the Laughing Man, a Ghost in the Shell character who screws with perception and memory in an attempt to trigger social upheaval.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Deadulus posted:

Whats the consensus on Luv kissing K? It mirrors the earlier scene of Wallace kissing the replicant after gutting her. Is it just a show of superiority or something else?

I think Luv in her way has a thing for K. After the two are discussing the Rachael/Deckard interrogation, K says something along the lines of "She likes him, she's provoking him." And then Luv says something like "It must feel nice to be asked personal questions. Makes one feel desired." Then she says something like "K, how do you like your police work?" which I get isn't the most personal questions in 2018 USA but would be considered personal in some cultures, and would probably actually be pretty personal from Luv who is the "ideal replicant" which in general wouldn't include questioning how someone does or doesn't like the work. If you wanted you could consider a lot her interaction with K being an attempt to "provoke him," of course while still following orders. It makes sense to me that someone who considers herself to be superior to her other replicants would be interested in someone who had a similar station.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Luv reminds me of Sam Jackson's character in Django Unchained, she knows she's subsurvient but does whatever she can to maintain her status above the other slaves.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

What is the canonical list of movies where people fight by throwing each other through walls? There's Blade Runner and this, the Terminator films and the two Hyams Universal Soldier films. There must be more.

what if....the wall...fought back?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

But the most wall shatterings in a movie is pretty simple

that Charlie Sheen 9/11 movie

e:quote="Solkanar512" post="477285536"]
The factories/vats/whatever are only ever going to produce replicants at a specific rate. When you start talking about reproduction, you start talking about things like exponential growth. It's not the "doubling every generation" you find with asexual reproduction but it's still a massive and compounding increase in manufacturing capability.
[/quote]

This is esp true for what he needs it for, intellestellar colonization. Presumably taking obscene amount of time to do, you need to warehouse as much resources in-planet as you can, and making babies is an elegant way to keep growing a working labor force instead of shipping more in.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 11, 2017

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Well, the one in BvS is an outright homage to Blade Runner.

What scene is it? batman's hands come through the wall and choke someone right?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I should clarify, in order to qualify there should be a diegetic reason for this type of action other than the hero being a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

In this case we can count:
Blade Runner
Blade Runner: 2049
Kill Bill Volume 2
Raising Arizona
RoboCop
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning
Universal Soldier: Regeneration

But we cannot count:
Iron Man
Marked for Death

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Steve2911 posted:

I remember when I saw The Hateful Eight with an intermission. There was something really refreshing about it.

It'd only make sense for packed out opening weekend screenings though. Breaking a film for 15 minutes so the 10 people in the audience can go for a piss would be silly.

also the long runtime does something to your brain that makes the climax more effective imo. That's why Apocalypse Now Redux has this charming effect on me that makes me appreciate all the added scenes. I can only describe it as feeling like I'm going crazier and crazier just like Cpt. Willard. By the end of the film you kinda understand how Col. Kurtz completely lost his poo poo because you're exhausted from all the horrifying stuff that goes on. The scene with the playboy bunnies is downright freaky because it's basically rape but it comes after murdering two entire villages of people so you're just numb during it.

My point is that long run times can be helpful for a film and I think that a break in the middle of this movie would have weakened it. Taken the wind out of the sails.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

But the most wall shatterings in a movie is pretty simple

that Charlie Sheen 9/11 movie

Nicholas Cage? or was Charlie Sheel in a secret 9/11 movie that I dont know about

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BarronsArtGallery posted:

Nicholas Cage? or was Charlie Sheel in a secret 9/11 movie that I dont know about

Lol hold onto yer butt

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt4917224/

Witters
Jan 14, 2008

If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done.

exquisite tea posted:

These weren't just my views, but those also shared by my wife, who liked the movie even less than I did. I wouldn't know how I would react in some imagined reverse situation where every male character was invented to help the female lead and then disappear from the script, because movies like those don't get written.

I know this is a late response, but you don't have to look far for an example from even the same director in the same genre: Arrival.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

The factories/vats/whatever are only ever going to produce replicants at a specific rate. When you start talking about reproduction, you start talking about things like exponential growth. It's not the "doubling every generation" you find with asexual reproduction but it's still a massive and compounding increase in manufacturing capability.

Yeah like, I don't know how fast space travel is in Blade Runner, but Wallace's plans are pretty clearly beyond his life time. You literally need a growing entire planet's worth of people over generations to do what he wants to do and all the vats in the world aren't going to do that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Luv was interesting because on top of that she was definitely built to be able to ruthlessly kick rear end, and I that works its way into her personality even as she expresses herself otherwise.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

also the long runtime does something to your brain that makes the climax more effective imo. That's why Apocalypse Now Redux has this charming effect on me that makes me appreciate all the added scenes. I can only describe it as feeling like I'm going crazier and crazier just like Cpt. Willard. By the end of the film you kinda understand how Col. Kurtz completely lost his poo poo because you're exhausted from all the horrifying stuff that goes on. The scene with the playboy bunnies is downright freaky because it's basically rape but it comes after murdering two entire villages of people so you're just numb during it.

My point is that long run times can be helpful for a film and I think that a break in the middle of this movie would have weakened it. Taken the wind out of the sails.

I know what you mean, it certainly wouldn't work for all long films.

Your point brings to mind films that cover long periods of time. If a film covers the whole life of the main character and is trying to portray the passage of time over the course of three hours, a break would shatter that illusion. It also applies to films like A.I. where the characters go on long odysseys. In that case covering centuries.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

holy poo poo

now i'm DYING TO KNOW... WHAT IS IT THAT KILLS YOU??!

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
Amazing, amazing movie. I really enjoyed the slower pace and ridiculously awesome visuals. Shots that really stood out for me:

The alternating dim light and darkness that washed across Deckard's face while he was talking to Wallace.

The stunning shot of K talking to the bald receptionist sitting behind the yellow-lit slotted window. Arguably the best single shot in the film for me.

Glitching JOI after the spinner crash.

Massive buildings, structures, or ships looming in the fog. I like how Wallace HQ loomed darkly and indistinctly behind the old Tyrell building.

It's too bad that, so far, it's not doing well financially in the U.S. I'd love for Denis Villenueve to have a blank check if he does end up directing Dune next. Really anything he directs next.

I'm planning on seeing it again tomorrow night either in IMAX or in 3D. I'm guessing that IMAX is the better option?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Just saw it
absolutely mesmerizing for all of its incredibly long runtime

(the zimmer/walfisch music also went up a notch and taught me not to listen to scores before seeing the movies so drat often)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Kaedric posted:

Another neat thing I just remembered:

K is looking at a poor copy of JOI at the same time Deckard is looking at a poor copy of Rachel.

I can't remember... Is this the scene transition where it goes from a silhouette of the back of Deckard's head set against the warm lighting of Wallace's office, to a silhouette of the back of K's head set against the cold lighting of the city?

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
I dunno but I really liked the transition from embers floating up from a fire to lights in a high-rise and I thought it was funny that instead of having a TV, K spends his free time looking into other people's apartments.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Jehde posted:

I can't remember... Is this the scene transition where it goes from a silhouette of the back of Deckard's head set against the warm lighting of Wallace's office, to a silhouette of the back of K's head set against the cold lighting of the city?

Yeah. The two scenes are mirrors of each other in quite a few ways. Deckard is challenged by Wallace on whether his romance with Rachel was natural or the product of design and what the difference between the two actually is, then tempted by an imperfect recreation before reaching a point of resolve. K then deals with the same question, temptation, and finds resolve. They also go out of their way to make "different eyes" an obvious thing with the new Joi.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sinding Johansson posted:

I dunno but I really liked the transition from embers floating up from a fire to lights in a high-rise and I thought it was funny that instead of having a TV, K spends his free time looking into other people's apartments.

"UH MY WIFE JOI TOLD ME THAT'S ACTUALLY A COMPLETELY NORMAL THING TO DO IN SOME MORE OPEN MINDED COUNTRIES MAYBE YOU HAVE SOME GROWING UP TO DO." -Officer K

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sinding Johansson posted:

Seemed very much like Hitchcock's Rear Window to me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vangelis' epic score would have been out of place in this film. Also you probably need to rewatch it because outside of the ending it never even sounded like Hans Zimmer. The vast majority of the music was a more disgruntled / foreboding version similar to Vangelis. But it gave that feeling of impending doom.

I don't think Vangelis' score would have worked, but it's just a shame that there's absolutely no real melodies. It's electronic Sunn O)))) which can become to a chore to listen to.

Nasgate posted:

I think the score works amazingly well, and while Vangelis is good I don't think a similar style to the original Blade Runner would have worked with this film. The originals score has a lot of sounds that are synthetic or actual versions of real people playing instruments. When the main character is a human in a harsh, mostly synthetic world, this makes sense.
2049 follows a Replicant though, the score correspondingly has less attributes of genuinely human created sounds. It's rather alienating and unnatural. This is useful for this movie because it forces you to focus on the harsh world that a skin job would see. This is why Dunkirk has a similar soundtrack, they're both trying to point out the alienation and lack of humanity in the world they're showing.

Don't get me wrong, I think that score does work well and fits the film really well but the only memorable part of it is the loud, airhorn thing that was done a little too much in the film and it's been in every god drat trailer in the last 5 years. It's really been done to death. Well, another memorable part is the recapitulation of Tears in the Rain at the end but the soundtrack as a whole falls flat but I guess I can't blame them too much because apparently it was all super last minute.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I think parts of the score are basically slower, more ominous echoes of the Vangelis score. For example, Wallace's theme is an evil version of Damask Rose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_JgOlGq6i4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZNjCQ_6Krw

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
It was pretty much just "standing under a freeway overpass after taking mushrooms", the soundtrack

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

What scene is it? batman's hands come through the wall and choke someone right?

The whole Batman vs. Superman fight is a homage to Roy Batty vs. Deckard.

Neo Rasa posted:

In this case we can count:
Blade Runner
Blade Runner: 2049
Kill Bill Volume 2
Raising Arizona
RoboCop
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning
Universal Soldier: Regeneration

But we cannot count:
Iron Man
Marked for Death

Iron Man is on the line, but skates.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

In capitalism there's is a central relationship between birthrates and profit. You need workers to produce the goods and work that you will exploit and you also need those same workers to make families that will replace them as they die out. You also need consumers, if your consumer base has diminished because of low birthrates then your potential profit is also diminished. Wallace says as much when he does his speech about how every great leap forwards needs a large slave force, and his company can't keep up with demand. So they need replicants that can reproduce via birth to augment the slave population (and the consumer base). This is, of course, pointing towards one of many horrors that lie at the heart of the capitalist engine, its consumption of life as a product.

Actually i don't think replicants and humans (us in reality) are ''programmed'' differently, they are still manipulated and given direction by ideology. Even the desire for more life in the 1st movie is created by capitalist ideology. In other words to me there isn't any distinction between human and replicant.

Exactly right.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

So I dont know if this has been mentioned but does anyone think Wallace's blindness is a nod to Gnosticism? Wallace is the demiurge, a self-appointed God blind to spirituality who enslaves the creations of the real God Tyrell who created replicant Adam and Eve - Rachel and Deckard. Dont think its important, just something that struck me when I saw Wallace is blind.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I took it much less poetically: Wallace is blind because he lacks vision. He does not see or care about the consequences of his actions and this failure makes him a shadow of Tyrell.

His affliction also makes him look extremely inhuman in a movie largely composed of very human replicants and computer programs.

The gnosticism interpretation wouldn't be outside the realms of possibility, given Wallace's god complex.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 12, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I mean he grew himself a God-beard and has a clad in white herald in Luv and his appears in a giant primordial birthing chamber and literally wants to lead his creations beyond the stars.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just want to say that I can't stop thinking about Blade Runner 2049, and the more I think about it, the more I like it. Also this thread is great and has given me a ton of stuff to chew on, even if I don't agree with all of it. :cheers:

I can't think of the last time a movie affected me as much as this one and had me mentally revisiting it so much.

Tangentially related but I really liked the design of K's spinner, it was one of the standouts in the movie for me. It was futuristic without calling attention to itself, and grounded enough in reality and functionality that it was instantly understandable.

Has anyone here seen Automata, with Antonio Bamderas? The trailers pitched it like an action movie, but it really plays out like a noir story in a very similar vein to Blade Runner. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Xenomrph posted:

Has anyone here seen Automata, with Antonio Bamderas? The trailers pitched it like an action movie, but it really plays out like a noir story in a very similar vein to Blade Runner. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

I have. Pretty interesting film although I thought it got a bit weaker towards the end.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
I love how Joi inverts our biases about the replicants. We're primed to think of the replicants as people because they're flesh and blood, they have DNA etc, but our biases about Joi are that she's a waifu, a toy for pathetic lonely men. The real man loves the fake woman but they're both consumer products

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

tractor fanatic posted:

I love how Joi inverts our biases about the replicants. We're primed to think of the replicants as people because they're flesh and blood, they have DNA etc, but our biases about Joi are that she's a waifu, a toy for pathetic lonely men. The real man loves the fake woman but they're both consumer products

Does this mean I need to reevaluate my feelings of revulsion while watching the commercial for the Gatebox?

Come to think of it, this is just the dark, futuristic sequel to Lars and the Real Girl.

Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007
Liked the film a lot, though I am disappointed they didn't cut an hour of the film only to progressively add in the missing scenes for each new media format released in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I saw it in IMAX and going again this Friday. IMAX or 3d for second viewing?

• Locked thread