Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the idea that windows is a toxic brand is anecdotally drawn from a bunch of interactions with nerds. microsoft is incompetent, but not too incompetent to keep track of that kind of long-term overarching brand issues

wheany restates the most important thing from another though: internal politics ensures that anything new that starts to work gets ruined by the dysfunction of worse but more politically established groups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

FMguru posted:

windows is pretty much toxic as a consumer brand and has been ever since the malwarepalooza that was early versions of xp followed by the vista and 8 disasters and the fact that windows is synonymous with work which is synonymous with a creaky black plastic laptop that runs like a three legged dog and doesnt connect to webex half the time and you dont bother to fix it because 1) gently caress webex and 2) you dont want to deal with the weird smelling it guy who wears nothing but my little pony shirts to work and giggles to himself

winpho marketing was also p lol. remember the early campaign that was built around how winpho encouraged you not to use your smartphone and that was a good thing?

Remember the marketing that was ALWAYS BE WORKING even when at like your child's soccer game or eating with family

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the idea that windows is a toxic brand is anecdotally drawn from a bunch of interactions with nerds. microsoft is incompetent, but not too incompetent to keep track of that kind of long-term overarching brand issues

wheany restates the most important thing from another though: internal politics ensures that anything new that starts to work gets ruined by the dysfunction of worse but more politically established groups

anyone who doesnt have an instant negative reaction to windows is either broke brained or profits directly from how lovely it is or both

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

LastInLine posted:

anyone who doesnt have an instant negative reaction to windows is either broke brained or profits directly from how lovely it is or both

lomarf

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

chestnut santabag posted:

Remember the marketing that was ALWAYS BE WORKING even when at like your child's soccer game or eating with family

working is very american

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

LastInLine posted:

i expect a majority of people would need to be reminded what windows is to have an opinion at all, and quite likely most of those would find it annoying enough to have that minutia explained to them that they would not actually find any time to seek out an opinion to have on windows as such. certainly you'd struggle to have anyone remember any specific fact about xp.

one can always ponder how many people would prefer windows when asked "would you prefer a phone running windows or one running android?". i suspect >50%. though one would of course have to drop all the answers "neither really, i'm getting the new samsung" from the survey, as stuff of that form would no doubt get a plurality

really the same kind of self-importance about nerdy poo poo which makes people attempt to subscribe any consumer electronic success/failure to how the virtual memory manager works (well, generally make out technical details to be a bigger thing than they are)

i mean, seriously, who reads "Windows was always what you got because you couldn't afford a Mac, or because your company was too cheap to outfit you with a Mac, not something you actually chose because you wanted it" and goes "hmm, yes, that is a broadly applicable experience to humanity at large and not at all a nerd making out their vacuous interests out to be important"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ask the most normal non nerd you know and ask them if they wish their car worked as well as their pc

everyone knows windows even my mother who has never in her life touched a computer or has ever actually seen windows knows that microsoft makes windows and windows is bad

computers are seen as necessary evils if for some reason an ipad or their phone cant do what they want but make no mistake no one is out there thinking about how great their pc is

remember microsofts advertising campaign just last year where somebody is bitching about how their computer is slow and doesnt work and sheldon from bbt tells them to lol throw it away and buy a new one we promise it doesnt suck now? the normal person fed up with their piece of poo poo windows pc is literally there to represent everyman

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i too hark back to a time when doing even the most basic business transactions like typing and printing a document required knowledge of CP/M

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Boiled Water posted:

i too hark back to a time when doing even the most basic business transactions like typing and printing a document required knowledge of CP/M

when people knew how to touch computers were the only ones using them, both they and their computers broke less often

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FMguru posted:

windows is pretty much toxic as a consumer brand and has been ever since the malwarepalooza that was early versions of xp followed by the vista and 8 disasters and the fact that windows is synonymous with work which is synonymous with a creaky black plastic laptop that runs like a three legged dog and doesnt connect to webex half the time and you dont bother to fix it because 1) gently caress webex and 2) you dont want to deal with the weird smelling it guy who wears nothing but my little pony shirts to work and giggles to himself

winpho marketing was also p lol. remember the early campaign that was built around how winpho encouraged you not to use your smartphone and that was a good thing?

their idea was good, but the public facing marketing was really bad. their internal marketing that showed how you'd use it irl was good and did a better job of explaining why a user would want it

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

eschaton posted:

Windows was always what you got because you couldn't afford a Mac, or because your company was too cheap to outfit you with a Mac, not something you actually chose because you wanted it
lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i remember being in a computer store in the mid 90s with some smug gently caress to the poor slob working there that that his kid was "laughing derisively at the concept of pc gaming" (yeah those actual words) and that's the moment i realized that having opinions about computers makes you a really bad person

we don't choose the memories that stay with us but we can decide something something i wanted to punch that guy in the testicles

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it's true

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

LastInLine posted:

remember microsofts advertising campaign just last year where somebody is bitching about how their computer is slow and doesnt work and sheldon from bbt tells them to lol throw it away and buy a new one we promise it doesnt suck now? the normal person fed up with their piece of poo poo windows pc is literally there to represent everyman

that was intel

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Microsoft has one of the best and brightest collections of engineers of any major tech company. unfortunately they are led by one of the worst and most short-sighted collections of executives of any major tech company. iPhone X isn't the fruit of 1 or 2 years of iteration, its as a result of 10 years of yearly iteration. if MS could stay committed to a project beyond the first few years before giving up, they might make progress.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Scott Forstall posted:

Microsoft has one of the best and brightest collections of engineers of any major tech company. unfortunately they are led by one of the worst and most short-sighted collections of executives of any major tech company. iPhone X isn't the fruit of 1 or 2 years of iteration, its as a result of 10 years of yearly iteration. if MS could stay committed to a project beyond the first few years before giving up, they might make progress.

isn't it a little premature to assume iphone x will be good

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

isn't it a little premature to assume iphone x will be good

good or bad, it's beyond doubt a considerably more advanced technological stack than anything else in the category

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

good or bad, it's beyond doubt a considerably more advanced technological stack than anything else in the category
i'm hopeful too but the first iteration of apple hardware usually isn't good. kind of expecting the oled panels to fail or faceid to exhibit strange behavior or something bizarre

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

i'm hopeful too but the first iteration of apple hardware usually isn't good. kind of expecting the oled panels to fail or faceid to exhibit strange behavior or something bizarre

that remains to be seen yeah, just saying that technology, however it works, is there, unlike the rest. it'll have to be absolutely bust to be void, which won't happen with apple

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that remains to be seen yeah, just saying that technology, however it works, is there, unlike the rest. it'll have to be absolutely bust to be void, which won't happen with apple
now that stebe is gone, if it's a tremendous piece of poo poo will people still proclaim their undying love for it?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

now that stebe is gone, if it's a tremendous piece of poo poo will people still proclaim their undying love for it?
wouldn't be surprised

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i expect a majority of people would need to be reminded what windows is to have an opinion at all, and quite likely most of those would find it annoying enough to have that minutia explained to them that they would not actually find any time to seek out an opinion to have on windows as such. certainly you'd struggle to have anyone remember any specific fact about xp.

one can always ponder how many people would prefer windows when asked "would you prefer a phone running windows or one running android?". i suspect >50%. though one would of course have to drop all the answers "neither really, i'm getting the new samsung" from the survey, as stuff of that form would no doubt get a plurality

really the same kind of self-importance about nerdy poo poo which makes people attempt to subscribe any consumer electronic success/failure to how the virtual memory manager works (well, generally make out technical details to be a bigger thing than they are)

i mean, seriously, who reads "Windows was always what you got because you couldn't afford a Mac, or because your company was too cheap to outfit you with a Mac, not something you actually chose because you wanted it" and goes "hmm, yes, that is a broadly applicable experience to humanity at large and not at all a nerd making out their vacuous interests out to be important"

truest word spoken in the 'pos in a while

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

reminds me of how slashdot reacted to the release of the first iphone

nerds' opinions never matter

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

oh yeah thats right

id say its two sides of the same coin but intel has its own reasons for needing to pimp pcs that really arent microsofts

otoh tho if my fortunes were tied to microsofts competence in the consumer space id prob. be making GBS threads myself by now

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

LastInLine posted:

ask the most normal non nerd you know and ask them if they wish their car worked as well as their pc

everyone knows windows even my mother who has never in her life touched a computer or has ever actually seen windows knows that microsoft makes windows and windows is bad

computers are seen as necessary evils if for some reason an ipad or their phone cant do what they want but make no mistake no one is out there thinking about how great their pc is

you said it yourself, it's "computers" not "windows". normal non nerds (lol) react the same way to any gadget that doesn't respond the way they want, they don't really care about the brand because they don't distinguish themselves as clearly as a different brand of cereal or dishwasher

the only time they hear about windows is because they saw something on facebook about how someone got cancer upgrading to windows 9.1 so they will never trust the word "upgrade" ever again

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

intel has to create fake phones and tablets for their commercials because nobody wants to actually use their awful excuses for mobile products

also the windows brand is completely toxic and it's dumb nerds [us in this dead forum] who are the only people who think otherwise

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SupSuper posted:

you said it yourself, it's "computers" not "windows". normal non nerds (lol) react the same way to any gadget that doesn't respond the way they want, they don't really care about the brand because they don't distinguish themselves as clearly as a different brand of cereal or dishwasher

the only time they hear about windows is because they saw something on facebook about how someone got cancer upgrading to windows 9.1 so they will never trust the word "upgrade" ever again

for nearly everyone computers and windows are synonymous windows is what they use at work and along with microsoft office they are one and the same and they hate it

the thing is though that people dont have that opinion about their iphones which they generally like using and understand (updates aside i wont argue that users have been trained well to hate updates)

so for what reason other than hubris would you poison your smartphone brand by associating it with microsoft or windows when you could just not do that? esp. if you were willing to destroy a scandanavian countrys economy to acquire a manufacturer to make them that already had worldwide name recognition for making great phones?

if youre willing to pour that much money into a black hole there arent too many worse ways to go about than the way they chose

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

qirex posted:

intel has to create fake phones and tablets for their commercials because nobody wants to actually use their awful excuses for mobile products

also the windows brand is completely toxic and it's dumb nerds [us in this dead forum] who are the only people who think otherwise

microsoft has been drunkwalking for years

intel has been abusive for decades and at this point they don't even care who sees them abusing ... well, just about anyone who doesn't run away from them

even microsoft is trying to do general-purpose arm now

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

thanks windows

thindows

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol. ms pushed an update live yesterday that causes an "unmountable boot device" error if installed.

nice qa you loving shitlords

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

lol. ms pushed an update live yesterday that causes an "unmountable boot device" error if installed.

nice qa you loving shitlords

they fired all qa years ago

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

like with their phone OS, instead of iterating or improving their QA team's process, they bailed and fired everyone from it lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

they fired all qa years ago

yeah, i'm aware. they also tried to suggest it had no effect on their patches, you know, until they had to recall more patches in a year than the 9x era.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
that middle manager who wrote that blog post about "combined engineering" took down his whole blog, but his twitter still links to it https://web.archive.org/web/20160603124730/http://blog.teleri.net/combined-engineering-microsoft

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

iPad Pro is especially evident of this as well, in both hardware and software

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 12, 2017

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

anthonypants posted:

the oled panel is already failing in the released promitional images, there is this weird notch of dead pixels on one side of the display

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

the oled panel is already failing in the released promitional images, there is this weird notch of dead pixels on one side of the display

the top?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Wheany posted:

:golfclap:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Wheany posted:

existence of notch causes dip in appeal for microsoft product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wheany posted:

i will never understand the people who get furious over this, or that it's going to be black on all phones and not white/silver to match the rest of the phone